Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 235 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7021 of 9989 Old 11-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABaracas View Post

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 65st50, but it would be for a bedroom. How much heat does it produce? That's really my only worry. I have a 3 year old Samsung PN50B650 that can make things uncomfortably warm.
Thanks in advance.

Newer panel is probably more energy efficient - but would expect that to be offset by the large size differential.

Believe CNET reports Energy Usage as part of their reviews: comparing the results they show for these two panels (assuming they've reviewed both) will probably give you a good idea of comparative heat output....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 9989 Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABaracas View Post

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 65st50, but it would be for a bedroom. How much heat does it produce? That's really my only worry. I have a 3 year old Samsung PN50B650 that can make things uncomfortably warm.
Thanks in advance.
According to my watt meter, my 65st50 runs on average 260 watts with peeks of 400 watts with very bright red scenes.

-Tony
post #7023 of 9989 Old 11-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the responses. That puts it in the same neighborhood as my current television. I'll probably go ahead with it. I'm pretty amped up to watch 3D on a 65 inch screen. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't turn my place into an oven.
post #7024 of 9989 Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 PM

Liked: 11
I'm a newbie and probably don't belong in this forum, but I should be receiving a 65ST50 on Wednesday, along with some 3D glasses (2 Panasonics, and 2 samsungs). I was just wondering if anyone had a good recommendation of a family movie (my kids are 9 and 12) to watch that would really show off the 3D? Oh, also, I'm assuming if I get a 3D movie that I could pop it in my son's PS3 and it would work. I don't need some other special 3D player, do I? Thanks.
post #7025 of 9989 Old 11-18-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeck View Post

I'm a newbie and probably don't belong in this forum, but I should be receiving a 65ST50 on Wednesday, along with some 3D glasses (2 Panasonics, and 2 samsungs). I was just wondering if anyone had a good recommendation of a family movie (my kids are 9 and 12) to watch that would really show off the 3D? Oh, also, I'm assuming if I get a 3D movie that I could pop it in my son's PS3 and it would work. I don't need some other special 3D player, do I? Thanks.
I don't own a PS3 so I could not tell you but The Deep 3D IMAX is great .
gbeck likes this.
post #7026 of 9989 Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by $$Buck-Naked$$ View Post

I just got my 3d glasses and the black levels are extremely bad in 3d especially compared to my VT20 which has quite good black levels in 3d. In terms of crosstalk it's a bit better than my VT20 but there's still too much in my opinion. Is there any setting/fix to get better black levels in 3d or am I stuck with grey levels?
I also just got a 65ST50 and noticed that the 3D black levels are quite a bit worse than the 2D black levels. Even after calibration in Custom mode the 3D black levels don't approach the deep 2D blacks. At this point I guess this is the nature of the beast, but does anyone have any experience correcting this issue (other than "calibrate it;" been there, done that). If the set can deliver such impressive 2D black levels, I'm surprised that the 3D levels aren't just as good -- it seems like the potential is definitely there.
post #7027 of 9989 Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Oh, also, I'm assuming if I get a 3D movie that I could pop it in my son's PS3 and it would work. I don't need some other special 3D player, do I? Thanks.
All 3D players, including a 3D PS3, will play 3D. I've never owned a PS3, but I'm assuming the one you have is a recent model and includes 3D.

If you use an AVR, then it has to be 3D also. Otherwise you need to connect the PS3 directly to your new TV.

Instead of getting answers for all the possible combinations, just describe the set up that you have for both audio and video.

Enjoy.
post #7028 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 AM

The PS3 won't provide lossless audio while in 3D, though, will it?
post #7029 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

All 3D players, including a 3D PS3, will play 3D. I've never owned a PS3, but I'm assuming the one you have is a recent model and includes 3D.
If you use an AVR, then it has to be 3D also. Otherwise you need to connect the PS3 directly to your new TV.
Instead of getting answers for all the possible combinations, just describe the set up that you have for both audio and video.
Enjoy.

Well, I believe I'm going to set it up like this: From TV to Receiver via Optical cable (Receiver is not 3D [I'm quite sure). I would hookup the PS3 via HDMI cable (3d capable) to the TV. Interesting that the audio is effected by 3D. Would it not play at all, or just not sound as good?
post #7030 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:

Well, I believe I'm going to set it up like this: From TV to Receiver via Optical cable (Receiver is not 3D [I'm quite sure). I would hookup the PS3 via HDMI cable (3d capable) to the TV. Interesting that the audio is effected by 3D. Would it not play at all, or just not sound as good?
Nothing to do with the audio really. If you have the receiver hooked up via hdmi then it carries audio and video. A non 3d receiver would not let the 3d video pass through properly.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #7031 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 AM

I read a bit more about the RBE or 'rainbow effect' that appears to be what I'm seeing on my ST50, but there's something I don't quite understand. The phenomenon called 'phosphor trails' is responsible for yellow 'afterglows' that become visible on fast-moving high contrast objects. This has to do with the different excite/decay times for the RGB phosphors.

But in the video I posted (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6tPTZkdyVo) the image displayed on the screen remains static, and it's the movement of the camera that makes the white color break into RGB bands! How is this possible? I'm thinking it could be due to the independent strobing of the red, green and blue subpixels; resulting in a temporal -> spatial transformation. Would that seem plausible, or am I talking bullocks?

Come on guys, this is the avsforum, I'm expecting some technical insight here! wink.gif
oakleez likes this.
post #7032 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Nothing to do with the audio really. If you have the receiver hooked up via hdmi then it carries audio and video. A non 3d receiver would not let the 3d video pass through properly.
Thank you. Now if I'm connecting the PS3 to the TV via HDMI, then the TV is getting the 3d video directly. I'm then outputting the sound from the TV to the receiver, so would the receiver still play the audio fine?
post #7033 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM

Hello all,

Like many, I'm getting ready to purchase a new TV this xmas. Currently, I have an Insignia: NS-L42X-10A, which served the bright living room at my previous house well, but now I'm ready to venture into the large set plasma world (tv will be in basement that only gets partial light).

I've been zeroed in on the st50 since July, however, realizing that the purchase is approaching quickly, I'm feeling second guesses flutter about. One particular concern is with the ABL — after reading a fella's review on Amazon re: white level and hockey, I'm concerned that this may in fact not be the TV for me. When hockey is actually going on, it's what I watch 50-60% of the time. Due to that fact, hockey pq is more important to me than anything else. Are there any hockey fans in here that can vouch for the st50's hockey pq?
post #7034 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thank you. Now if I'm connecting the PS3 to the TV via HDMI, then the TV is getting the 3d video directly. I'm then outputting the sound from the TV to the receiver, so would the receiver still play the audio fine?
Honestly, No. The receiver would play the audio but I am pretty certain that the tv will not output 5.1 from an external source. It will bring it down to 2.0. Connect the digital optical from PS3 to the receiver. You will have to make some changes in your PS3 sound settings.
gbeck likes this.

post #7035 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylord22 View Post

Hello all,
Like many, I'm getting ready to purchase a new TV this xmas. Currently, I have an Insignia: NS-L42X-10A, which served the bright living room at my previous house well, but now I'm ready to venture into the large set plasma world (tv will be in basement that only gets partial light).
I've been zeroed in on the st50 since July, however, realizing that the purchase is approaching quickly, I'm feeling second guesses flutter about. One particular concern is with the ABL — after reading a fella's review on Amazon re: white level and hockey, I'm concerned that this may in fact not be the TV for me. When hockey is actually going on, it's what I watch 50-60% of the time. Due to that fact, hockey pq is more important to me than anything else. Are there any hockey fans in here that can vouch for the st50's hockey pq?
Click on "search this thread" at the bottom of the page and type "hockey".

post #7036 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Click on "search this thread" at the bottom of the page and type "hockey".

Yeah, I did. The problem there is that there isn't really a consensus of whether or not the issue is amplified in 2012 Panny Plasmas, or if it's something that happens on all HDTV screens. The ice is certainly gray-ish on my LCD; however, I'm worried that issue is amplified in the Panasonic and/or if there's another TV that offers a better hockey viewing experience...be it LED or Plasma
post #7037 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Yeah, I did. The problem there is that there isn't really a consensus of whether or not the issue is amplified in 2012 Panny Plasmas, or if it's something that happens on all HDTV screens. The ice is certainly gray-ish on my LCD; however, I'm worried that issue is amplified in the Panasonic and/or if there's another TV that offers a better hockey viewing experience...be it LED or Plasma

Since hockey PQ is impotant to you the only way you are going to be satisfied is hands on comparison LED to Plasma. In stores like BB it is difficult because many sets are on the demo loop. Find a store you can do a side by side of the two, but remember the store do alter the picture quite a bit.

I watched a little bit of the Chicago Wolves just recently and have no issue with watching hockey on the ST - but that just my opinion.

Time for hands on demo.
post #7038 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post

Since hockey PQ is impotant to you the only way you are going to be satisfied is hands on comparison LED to Plasma. In stores like BB it is difficult because many sets are on the demo loop. Find a store you can do a side by side of the two, but remember the store do alter the picture quite a bit.
I watched a little bit of the Chicago Wolves just recently and have no issue with watching hockey on the ST - but that just my opinion.
Time for hands on demo.

Gah, unfortunately I live in a part of the country where comparing high-end TVs is next to impossible, let along finding a place that carries anything from Panasonic above the U50. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and trust that the few hockey fans on here are right in saying that there's no real difference between the st50 and anything else that's out there.

Would you say that the ST's PQ for hockey is above average (say, above what you'd see in a buffalo wild wings)?

I wouldn't even know where to start looking in the 60" + LED world...hockey is the most important, but we also watch a good amount of HD television and BluRays + I do some FPS gaming...I think I'm psyching myself out.
post #7039 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Gah, unfortunately I live in a part of the country where comparing high-end TVs is next to impossible, let along finding a place that carries anything from Panasonic above the U50. I think I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and trust that the few hockey fans on here are right in saying that there's no real difference between the st50 and anything else that's out there.
Would you say that the ST's PQ for hockey is above average (say, above what you'd see in a buffalo wild wings)?
I wouldn't even know where to start looking in the 60" + LED world...hockey is the most important, but we also watch a good amount of HD television and BluRays + I do some FPS gaming...I think I'm psyching myself out.

I watch a lot of hockey as well, and posted a similar question and am in a similar situation, except I can't return it.

Can you get the ST with the option of returning?

B&W cm5
Pioneer Elite SC-27
Panasonic 50" GT50
HTPC - i5, ATI 7790
Crappy Klipsch sub
post #7040 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:

For the kids I have found Puss N Boots, Tangled, Toystory 3, and Brave to all be excellent. I have a launch PS3 and it plays 3d fine but just gets very loud. Connect HDMI directly to TV and optical out of PS3 directly to your receiver if you don't have a 3d capable receiver. The PS3 will play the DTS 1.5meg core audio stream or Dolby Digital 640kb audio stream from the bluray and still sounds great.
post #7041 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM

Hello,
Running into another problem now. Am trying to get the optical/digital audio out thing working. Have a Denon receiver from the late nineties. It has an optical audio input. Ran the TOSLINK between the TV and the receiver. No sound. I made sure that i removed the plastic caps that cover the ends of the cable.
Is there an audio setting that I need to modify in the TV?
I have tried several combinations of settings on the receiver. Have currently left it at TV/DBS - digital.
Also, should there be a snapping sound when you push the cable all the way in? Don't remember hearing one either at the TV or the receiver end.
Am assuming that when this thing works, I will hear audio through only the surround sound, not the TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
post #7042 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

If you have a large Sears store nearby you can check there--should have everything from the U50 to the VT50 in one size or another.

Steve S.
post #7043 of 9989 Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

If you're talking about the "Hockey Flash" hysteria from several months ago, it was pretty much determined to be no worse on the 2012 models than on other brands/models/years of Plasmas and LCD TVs. The flashes are in the broadcast and were present on all sorts of TVs.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397245/official-panasonic-st50-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/3480#post_22126034
grik likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7044 of 9989 Old 11-20-2012, 05:54 AM
ugk

Just ordered my ST50.. going to be my first Plasma.. anything I should do or not do in the beginning to make sure I get the best viewing experience?
post #7045 of 9989 Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickg View Post

Hello,
Running into another problem now. Am trying to get the optical/digital audio out thing working. Have a Denon receiver from the late nineties. It has an optical audio input. Ran the TOSLINK between the TV and the receiver. No sound. I made sure that i removed the plastic caps that cover the ends of the cable.
Is there an audio setting that I need to modify in the TV?
I have tried several combinations of settings on the receiver. Have currently left it at TV/DBS - digital.
Also, should there be a snapping sound when you push the cable all the way in? Don't remember hearing one either at the TV or the receiver end.
Am assuming that when this thing works, I will hear audio through only the surround sound, not the TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

You would need to change the default speakers on the TV to Home Theater/Theater and turn off the TV's speakers.

post #7046 of 9989 Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugk View Post

Just ordered my ST50.. going to be my first Plasma.. anything I should do or not do in the beginning to make sure I get the best viewing experience?

Leave it mounted on the spot you are going to use it for 3 or 4 hours before connecting the power cable. Once you start using it just avoid black tiles films for the first 50h or so and enjoy the fantastic tv-set you just got.
post #7047 of 9989 Old 11-20-2012, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugk View Post

You don't have to really do anything special. It's just a TV and most people just turn it on, fiddle with the settings, then start watching TV.

The panel settles in a lot during the first hundred hours or so, so when you first turn it on it will look probably somewhat harsh - but the panel will start smoothing out within a few hours and will start looking a lot better. You can leave it on a full-screen HD channel (preferably with no logos or tickers or banners etc) for several hours, or run a slideshow with the "break-in images" or some 1920x1080 HD Wallpaper images on an SD Card or USB Thumbdrive while the panel settles in.

Look for other people's posted settings then use them as a starting point for your own TV, then tweak them to your own personal preference to suit your sources and content and viewing environment etc.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7048 of 9989 Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 AM

Whats up,

Ive been following this forum for some time as I am getting ready to buy a new TV and home theater system. I actually work at BB so that helps but we dont stock the ST50. One of my coworkers has it and says its amazing and that when they did stock the tv it sold so well no one was buying any of the Samsungs. Ive seen the UT50 in store and it blows the LEDs away and the 849 price tag is pretty attractive but I really want decent 3D with the set I purchase. Ill be sitting about 6 feet away and the TV will be mounted above my fireplace. I plan on of course using a tilt mount to compensate for the height but I really dont want to spend 1299 for the the 55, since I know I wont feel comfortable without adding a service plan. My only hesitation is I want to buy everything (home theater/service plan/ and tv) all in one shot but I really dont want to spend two grand. Might not seem like alot but I am in the middle of a home remodel, recently married and i still owe my wife a stainless fridge wink.gif I guess my questions are, should I stagged my purchases and get the home theater sound first ($500 total Denon receiver and klipsch speakers), get a smaller tv 50 instead of 55, maybe step down a model and save about 200 bucks??? I know these are alot of personal preference questions, but I have a wife I need to sell this vision to. In my mind if she has speakers in the bathroom and kitchen and wirelss music streaming she will be dreaming of the day when the tv is up on the mantle and we are sitting on the couch watching The Walking Dead. BTW we dont have a tv in the living room now, so its pretty much just the room we walk through on the way to the kitchen so we cant even really entertain guests at this point. What do you think?
post #7049 of 9989 Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 AM

Liked: 15
I'll be purchasing a 55ST50 within the next week or two and, like many others here, am trying to make sure I do the best prep I can for the first few hundred hours.

To be sure I have full-frame, logo-less content as burn-in prevention material, I was thinking I could run 16:9 Blu-rays on repeat virtually 24 hours a day for a few days. Is that crazy? I don't have cable or an antenna, so my viewing will be Blu-ray plus Apple TV and Viera content. I guess I could play an iTunes movie on repeat also.

confused.gif
post #7050 of 9989 Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBuckIam02 View Post

Whats up,
Ive been following this forum for some time as I am getting ready to buy a new TV and home theater system. I actually work at BB so that helps but we dont stock the ST50. One of my coworkers has it and says its amazing and that when they did stock the tv it sold so well no one was buying any of the Samsungs. Ive seen the UT50 in store and it blows the LEDs away and the 849 price tag is pretty attractive but I really want decent 3D with the set I purchase. Ill be sitting about 6 feet away and the TV will be mounted above my fireplace. I plan on of course using a tilt mount to compensate for the height but I really dont want to spend 1299 for the the 55, since I know I wont feel comfortable without adding a service plan. My only hesitation is I want to buy everything (home theater/service plan/ and tv) all in one shot but I really dont want to spend two grand. Might not seem like alot but I am in the middle of a home remodel, recently married and i still owe my wife a stainless fridge wink.gif I guess my questions are, should I stagged my purchases and get the home theater sound first ($500 total Denon receiver and klipsch speakers), get a smaller tv 50 instead of 55, maybe step down a model and save about 200 bucks??? I know these are alot of personal preference questions, but I have a wife I need to sell this vision to. In my mind if she has speakers in the bathroom and kitchen and wirelss music streaming she will be dreaming of the day when the tv is up on the mantle and we are sitting on the couch watching The Walking Dead. BTW we dont have a tv in the living room now, so its pretty much just the room we walk through on the way to the kitchen so we cant even really entertain guests at this point. What do you think?

buy the best sound system you can first, then keep making comments about how nice it would be to have a tv. she will come around. then think of the size of tv you want, add at least 5", and get that size. you will regret going smaller than you originally want, i promise.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page