Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I want to start by saying that I don't doubt there may be the existence of uniformity issues on your TV BlindGoldfish, but the iphone 4 which you used to take those photos has a known flaw

Your photos are not only worthless, but they are downright disingenuous.
You said yourself "The pic makes it look more noticeable than it actually is." So you have the benefit of the doubt that this isn't a deliberate attempt to deceive and a geniune mistake.
However, your evidence being undermined like this means that we can't take anything of use from those photos.

If you can get another camera and take some shots, that will be a lot more useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_Dracule View Post

Someone will correct me of I'm wrong but doesnt the UT50 use the same panel as the ST50 just without the vertical blinds (forget what the name of it is... Infinite Black 2?). So his reasoning for showing you viewing angles is that the UT50 doesnt have any of that stuff so while it has better viewing angle it has almost no ability to block out incoming light and can reflect it back to you. It can be very annoying if you have any windows or bright lights in the room

Only the ST and up have the Pro picture adjustments in Cinema mode.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #723 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by fahrenheit View Post

I want to start by saying that I don't doubt there may be the existence of uniformity issues on your TV BlindGoldfish, but the iphone 4 which you used to take those photos has a known flaw

You said yourself "The pic makes it look more noticeable than it actually is." So you have the benefit of the doubt that this isn't a deliberate attempt to deceive and a geniune mistake.
However, your evidence being undermined like this means that we can't take anything of use from those photos.

If you can get another camera and take some shots, that will be a lot more useful.

Wow! Thank you! I had no idea since I don't do Apple.

post #724 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it just me or does the green blob in those images make the surrounding white look pink?

post #725 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadphish View Post

Wow. Maybe the BB sales guy assisting me really knew what we he was talking about?

Yeah. No doubt.
post #726 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Oh wow! I should take a pic of my TV with the gf's iPhone 4 and see what I get...
post #727 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Good info. I'll take some shots with my Canon tonight and post them up.
post #728 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGoldfish View Post

Yes I'm quoting myself again. Here is a picture of the pink/green. The pic makes it look more noticeable than it actually is.

One of the things you have to be careful about when shooting pics under such mixed lighting is that no matter what setting you put the camera on (such as tungsten, auto etc), you are going to get some unnatural lighting looks in the photos. Also, digital pics are not true representations of what you are photographing under certain lighting conditions. I've been a working photo journalist for 36 years and after we switched to digital we noticed this effect. Once we published a front page photo of a witness in a big trial who was wearing a blue dress in the courtroom that was lit with fluorescent light. Well, it turns out that the reporter wrote in his lead about the GREEN dress that the witness was wearing and it made us realize that depending on what the light was in the room you were shooting and what setting you were using, you may not get true colors. You may be seeing those colors on the display with your eyes but the photo may not be what you are seeing. Just a thought.

post #729 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Ah yes. Sorry I meant panel wise only, not included features (so the BB salesman was basically trying to sell him on the ST being worse because of the filters for removing ambient light which is not correct)
post #730 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fej01z View Post

My 50" St50 does not exhibit any green, pink or other strange variables in color through 100 hours of slides. It does have a vertical band 2-3" from the right edge of the panel that I searched for in all of the slides and it is worse on the two darkest grey slides than any other where you really have to get close to make it out. It is not visible in the all black "no source" white text message however. Running content tonight to see how it goes.

Fej

Same. I'm haven't noticed any pink/green effect on mine and I spent a long time staring at all of those slides. It's either not there or so subtle I can't even notice it.

I did mention earlier I have the same vertical band. Around the point where I finished running slides, it had become drastically less noticeable, and isn't something I'm even marginally worried about anymore. I can still notice it on the slides but just barely, and can't see it on any actual content at all (despite looking for it).

I'm very happy with this display.
post #731 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

OR, if we decide not to keep this current panel, LG is looking better and better.
At least On Paper....

On paper.
Chad's review of the PM6700 is up. The only lg to really hope for this year might be the PM9700.

post #732 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post

Same. I'm haven't noticed any pink/green effect on mine and I spent a long time staring at all of those slides. It's either not there or so subtle I can't even notice it.

I did mention earlier I have the same vertical band. Around the point where I finished running slides, it had become drastically less noticeable, and isn't something I'm even marginally worried about anymore. I can still notice it on the slides but just barely, and can't see it on any actual content at all (despite looking for it).

I'm very happy with this display.

Same here - no pink/green tint or otherwise. Noticed the same vertical band while running slides and the built-in "IR reduction" tool. Now, running slides I barely notice it, and haven't been able to detect it when running normal video.
post #733 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

On paper.
Chad's review of the PM6700 is up. The only lg to really hope for this year might be the PM9700.

Do you have the link?

Thanks

Edit. Found.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #734 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

So far only one bush is burning and already a wild fire is on the horizon.

Oh my. So I've been PO'ed about rising blacks on by 50V10 for a couple years...
And now am contemplating upgrading to 60V50.
And now I see the green/pink problem threads.

Man, this doesnt sit well to V10 people like myself.

(cue funny hitler youtube movies complaing about panasonic)
post #735 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeron View Post

I posted this a few days ago, but this should generally help in answering your question.

Overall, I'm very happy with this set. I have the tv set up for wireless, and I decided to rent the movie Drive from the Vudu webapp (you get a 5.99 credit just for signing up, BTW). Vudu has true 1080p streaming (which Netflix and Amazon I believe don't), and I must say I was impressed. Picture quality was top notch, and you would never know that you weren't playing off of a bluray...not one buffering screen or hiccup or anything.

Any others have opinions on the streaming options?
post #736 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsharky View Post

Any others have opinions on the streaming options?

I'm only using Netflix and Amazon Instant right now. Both have worked flawlessly so far and the image quality is very good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #737 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Actually the Pro Settings menu is in the Custom picture mode, not the Cinema picture mode. But yeah, only the ST, GT, and VT have the Pro Settings menu. I checked a 50" UT50 at Fry's and it definitely does not have the Pro Settings menu at all. And that thing was so friggin reflective that i could literally see myself clearly enough to part my hair - and it was in a dark area. The 55ST50 filter on the other hand was very matte and barely reflective - a HUGE improvement.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #738 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 03:34 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
OOPS! My bad. I meant Custom.

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #739 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 PM

As promised. Unless you are color blind, you should still be able to see the effect. A Panasonic tech is scheduled to come out...

post #740 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Well....that is beneath my "color problem" threshold.

Cool.

I mean....it's great that I won't be watching grey slides on the tv.
post #741 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 489
I was waiting for this.

Ever since I read hdtvtest's comment about the greenish/yellowish tint I've been wondering when someone would get their hands on a panel that clearly showed the fault.

I have yet to see a 2011 panel without the fault-- and I've seen a LOT of 2011 panels.

This has further convinced me to keep my S30 as it appears buying a NEW panel and spending MORE money won't buy you a Panasonic without uniformity issues. For the money I paid for the S I think I can deal-- for 2012 prices I would expect more.

It's a shame Panasonic seems unable (or unwilling) to correct this flaw. I'd be curious to hear what the tech says-- mine basically told me I was SOL. I'd also be curious to see if this fault exhibits itself in the greyscale-- mine is tiger striped green.

I really like Panasonic-- they produce a reliable product and seem to care about gamers-- but it's these strange un-fixable faults that creep up year after year have really made me cautious about the brand. I'd like to invest in a quality display but I'd be scared to death of paying for a GT and having a green blob! So, as I said, I'll stick with my cheapy...

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #742 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for that. It highlights my concerns over the iphone 4 camera without question.

Its a little bit pink towards the outer edges, but this doesn't look to be all that bad from that pic. There is little to no green in that pic and based on just averaging the entire display area, the predominant bias is blue (leaning towards purple).

I can't tell you what constitutes a pass or a fail in your book, but its by no means as bad as some of the 2011 examples that have been posted.
And if the TV has relatively few hours on it, it might be better to wait and see how it beds in.
post #743 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakeguy View Post

Well....that is beneath my "color problem" threshold.

Cool.

I mean....it's great that I won't be watching grey slides on the tv.

Ever watch black and white films?

Ever watch anything with smoke?

Anything with scenes in a hospital, lab, school, prison, etc?

How about play video games?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #744 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:

As promised. Unless you are color blind, you should still be able to see the effect. A Panasonic tech is scheduled to come out...

must be my computer monitor aint callibrated professionally...or iam color blind.
but this screen looks fine?
post #745 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that. It highlights my concerns over the iphone 4 camera without question.

Its a little bit pink towards the outer edges, but this doesn't look to be all that bad from that pic. There is little to no green in that pic and based on just averaging the entire display area, the predominant bias is blue (leaning towards purple).

I can't tell you what constitutes a pass or a fail in your book, but its by no means as bad as some of the 2011 examples that have been posted.
And if the TV has relatively few hours on it, it might be better to wait and see how it beds in.

Like the iPhone overstated the problem, my point-and-shoot understates it. Although the pink/green is closer to the point-and-shoot, I can definitely still see it. I do respect the rational approach you have taken toward the situation.

I have some Cerwin Vega speakers about 6" away from the sides of the panel. Is there any reason the magnets in the speakers could be causing the distortion? I wouldn't think so since the ring is around the entire TV, but I thought I should ask.
post #746 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Like the iPhone overstated the problem, my point-and-shoot understates it. Although the pink/green is closer to the point-and-shoot, I can definitely still see it. I do respect the rational approach you have taken toward the situation.

Yeah its always a difficult thing to portray with photos. The more subtle the affliction, the harder it is to capture.

Its disappointing that this problem still exists. I just hope that your sample is as bad as it gets (probably wishful thinking on my part).
post #747 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to wonder what these sets with "problems" would look like after a professional calibration.

post #748 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft2012 View Post

must be my computer monitor aint callibrated professionally...or iam color blind.
but this screen looks fine?

Honestly, I think this problem is akin to sick-building syndrome.

I'll leave it up to the readers to analyze what that means.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #749 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 04:50 PM

Any actual ST50 owners on here who can comment on IR? I have a 50" el cheap Sammy plasma and IR is pretty bad on it. I find that cartoon network is the worse for me. Any ST50 owners here watch CN and can comment if it causes bad IR on the ST50?

Thanks,

-Guru
post #750 of 10003 Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

Any actual ST50 owners on here who can comment on IR? I have a 50" el cheap Sammy plasma and IR is pretty bad on it. I find that cartoon network is the worse for me. Any ST50 owners here watch CN and can comment if it causes bad IR on the ST50?

Thanks,

-Guru

MSNBC and other news shows might be equally bad too -no?

D-Nice said that he put the ST50 through a torture test before he saw IR on his set. I'll try to find the comment and post it for you.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page