Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 286 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8551 of 9989 Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I can't say I'm the most observant. I'm almost afraid I WILL see it and won't be able to un see it. Lol. I'm using custom mode with Rahzel's settings for everything. I suspect there's a little input lag while gaming, but I don't have anything A/B with. And it's not something that seems to cause me problems, so my lazy overrides any desire to tinker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8552 of 9989 Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolowizard View Post

I can't say I'm the most observant. I'm almost afraid I WILL see it and won't be able to un see it. Lol. I'm using custom mode with Rahzel's settings for everything. I suspect there's a little input lag while gaming, but I don't have anything A/B with. And it's not something that seems to cause me problems, so my lazy overrides any desire to tinker.

I'm too observant. It's a blessing and a curse, lol. The jittery motion I see might be screen tearing, which is really noticeable the faster you pan the camera. I'm also using custom mode when playing RDR and Skyrim. When playing FIFA 13 online I use game mode for any input lag advantage.
post #8553 of 9989 Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

For $50 more I would do it again and again and again. smile.gif It also has a dual core processor which could be helpful at times.

When does the Dual Core make a difference?

(Just in case I see a GT for a close to ST price)

So far up here in Canada, they are +$500.00 for the GT adn + $500 for the VT
post #8554 of 9989 Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM

Liked: 11
Hey I'm starting to notice this more in bright scenes( 6-7 feet away), but I think its what most people here seems to hear. It goes really zzzzzz for bright scenes, and then silent for dark scenes. The funny thing is I didn't really care about the buzzing when I first got the tv but ever since I saw "A Panasonic Tech came to inspect my buzzing panel" It has been bothering my brain a bit.

Ok so for you guys tired of the buzzing and what not and you don't want to return it or can't return it, show me how you reduced the buzzing.

I'm going to try covering up the areas where it sounds real buzzy on the panel with foam or cardboard. But I'm afraid it might cover the ventilation holes. Is it important to keep those vent holes open?
I don't want my panel to overheat and burn down my house just because I hate buzzing sounds...tongue.gif
Please share your ingenious thoughts on reducing the buzzing.
post #8555 of 9989 Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyHere View Post

Quote:

For $50 more I would do it again and again and again. smile.gif It also has a dual core processor which could be helpful at times.

When does the Dual Core make a difference?

(Just in case I see a GT for a close to ST price)

So far up here in Canada, they are +$500.00 for the GT adn + $500 for the VT

Internet connected features and such.
post #8556 of 9989 Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahkz View Post

Hey I'm starting to notice this more in bright scenes( 6-7 feet away), but I think its what most people here seems to hear. It goes really zzzzzz for bright scenes, and then silent for dark scenes. The funny thing is I didn't really care about the buzzing when I first got the tv but ever since I saw "A Panasonic Tech came to inspect my buzzing panel" It has been bothering my brain a bit.

Ok so for you guys tired of the buzzing and what not and you don't want to return it or can't return it, show me how you reduced the buzzing.

I'm going to try covering up the areas where it sounds real buzzy on the panel with foam or cardboard. But I'm afraid it might cover the ventilation holes. Is it important to keep those vent holes open?
I don't want my panel to overheat and burn down my house just because I hate buzzing sounds...tongue.gif
Please share your ingenious thoughts on reducing the buzzing.

I'm pretty bummed about the buzzing too. I'm running "Up" (sound off) as I write and the on/off buzzing throughout the movie is a bit annoying. At first I only noticed it when the screen was predominately white, but now I notice it any time bright, pale colors - whites, yellows, sky blue, etc - are on screen.

I definitely wound not cover anything on the back panel. The ST50 doesn't run hot (mine at least), but I wouldn't do anything to prevent ventilation.

The only things that I read about that eliminated the buzzing on some displays were to either tighten the screws on the back panel or have a Panasonic technician tighten the screws on certain circuit boards.

Google Panasonic buzzing fix.

Here's one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2SZI04Byg
post #8557 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 08:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

What games? I recently bought a 55ST50 and today played Red Dead Redemption and Skyrim. I noticed the jittery, shaky movement of the background when I swiveled the camera as well. I think this is normal, as the game is trying to render the background, but can't do so smoothly for whatever technical reasons. I'm thinking that the jittery motion is more noticeable on a larger display. I primarily gamed on a 42" plasma and I don't remember it being as apparent. What size TV did you use to game on? I will try to do an A/B comparison today/tomorrow to see the differences between the 42" and 55".

I've tried Red Dead Redemption (PS3), Gears of War 2 (360), Ni No Kuni (PS3), Fallout: New Vegas (360), and Mortal Kombat (360) so far and the jitter is different in each game. For me it is most notable in the Ni No Kuni game when I pan the camera and in any game that lets you pan the camera. Mortal Kombat didn't seem to have any or I just wasn't noticing it they way I do in other games. After doing a little more looking around it seems that it's just something I'll get use to since games that run in 30fps, which I think all those games I listed do, aren't as fast as the plasma TV refresh rate so the chopiness is the gap inbetween frames of the motion. Speaking of which, I do remember now I tried Wipeout HD on the PS3 and that I do know runs at 60fps and there was no chopiness at all. So, I think it's just something to get use to unless I hear otherwise. Let me know though what difference you saw between the TV sizes.

The size of my Tv is 65"
post #8558 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty bummed about the buzzing too. I'm running "Up" (sound off) as I write and the on/off buzzing throughout the movie is a bit annoying. At first I only noticed it when the screen was predominately white, but now I notice it any time bright, pale colors - whites, yellows, sky blue, etc - are on screen.

I definitely wound not cover anything on the back panel. The ST50 doesn't run hot (mine at least), but I wouldn't do anything to prevent ventilation.

The only things that I read about that eliminated the buzzing on some displays were to either tighten the screws on the back panel or have a Panasonic technician tighten the screws on certain circuit boards.

Google Panasonic buzzing fix.

Here's one video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2SZI04Byg

Thanks man for the tips. I've read all over the forums and others such as http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1917351, it seems like people are just tolerating the buzz or they have been to way too many bon jovi concerts, therefore they are basically deaf.
Others who say they don't hear anything, its dead silent are really unobservant, deaf, and or just teasing. So I will give that youtube video a try without wrecking my tv hopefully. Maybe try aligning the walls with acoustic foam or cardboard, but that would only make me seem obsessive/excessive.
Cheers.biggrin.gif

btw... What year/month is your panasonic model. Mine is November 2012, but it seems like it still makes the buzz sound... The guy in the video you linked is from 2011. I thought they had changed the screws to the later 2012 models...
post #8559 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Hi All,

So I recently purchased a 55" ST50 in December, and am not 100% happy with my purchase. I ran the break-in slides for 100+ hours when I first got it, and configured as per the D-Nice settings and immediately had to make serious changes because the picture is too dark. Is anyone actually running with this config (contrast 76, brightness 56, color 43, tint 0, sharpness 0, gamma 2.6)? I can't see how this is acceptable even in a nearly pitch black room. The only way I can use this, is if I bump the gamma to 2.2 and contrast to 85 which produces a red tint on all black screens (this is due to the D-Nice pro settings). I have since leveled all pro settings to 0, kept the gamma at 2.2, bumped the contrast to 85, and moved the tint by 1 point towards red, which makes for some decent looking colours, and removes the nasty red tint on blacks. This seems to introduce other problems like cloudy/smokey looking scenes, and sunlight/light bleeding. AND.... I feel that the darks are still not defined enough. When I hook up my 2008 Kuro to the same source, the darks are perfectly defined and "pop", and there's no nasty cloudy effect on anything. For a TV that everyone says has such great picture quality, I just don't see it. The weird thing is that there's nothing I can do to make dark scenes pop, without increasing the brightness to like 80, and even at 100 on both contrast and brightness on the ST50, my Kuro still has a more defined and brighter picture at acceptable levels.

I'm running Blu Ray through PS3 (limited HDMI 16-235) and have the TV HDMI input set accordingly.
Gaming is done on PS3 and Xbox 360. I was playing dishonored a few days ago on the xbox, and everything was veiled in that cloudy effect. Hooked it up to the Kuro, and it was perfect.

Is there something wrong with my set? Any recommendations on some brightness settings? With everyone talking about such great picture on this set, I'm surprised I'm having such a tough time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA...
post #8560 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 12:01 PM

When it comes to DLNA, my 55ST50 is almost useless......thank god for my LG Blue-ray player.
post #8561 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM

I have the gt and running DNices settings for several days now. Pitch black - its like an LCD! So, perhaps try resetting everything back to factory and start it over again...i know its not apples to apples since I have a GT, but panels are the same so overall should be close
post #8562 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iketech View Post

When it comes to DLNA, my 55ST50 is almost useless......thank god for my LG Blue-ray player.

Interesting. I have not had a problem with my 60" when I tried DLNA.

post #8563 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iketech

CLEHD,
What type of files you have?........It would not play my .avi, .mpg files.
post #8564 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by iketech View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by iketech

CLEHD,
What type of files you have?

Just messed around with some videos that I had shot on my phone...mp4.

post #8565 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM

I know it will play .mp4 just fine.
post #8566 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 02:34 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTE15 View Post

I have a 51 inch Samsung E7000 and my return period is up in about a week. I am generally very happy with the set, but had been considering exchanging it for the 55 inch ST50 (which will actually wind up costing about $300 more than I paid for the Samsung and then I would need to buy 3D glasses). I was also thinking about the UT50 which would cost about $100 less than I paid for the E7000 (before glasses). Anyway, I was considering this because I thought the larger screen size might be nice and I understand the Panasonic has better blacks and maybe a little better contrast. On the other hand, it's a pain to go through an exchange and I am concerned that I might be trading a few little and fairly inconsequential issues for other potential problems. I also am not sure 4 inches of screen real estate is worth $300 (and a 60 inch set, which would be significantly larger is just too big for the space). FWIW, the viewing distance is about 8 - 8 1/2 feet from the screen and this is my first plasma, coming from a 42 inch rear projection LCD.

A couple of questions to help in my decision:

(1) I watch mostly movies. How is the IR with black bar movies? On my Samsung during a complete black screen (e.g., transition between scenes) the bars appear lighter after watching for a little while.

(2) I understand that the Samsung has a reputation for having better video processing and supposedly looks somewhat better with non1080P content. I do a reasonable amount of streaming and we also don't have an HD TV signal because we watch very little broadcast television. How does the ST50 do with lesser quality content?

Any other general thoughts are welcome as well.
Thanks.

You have a difficult choice there. I am under the *impression* that the Samsung might do a little better on SD at least for Samsung LED they seem to have a way to smooth out SD. Mind you, great quality SD (full 4x3 picture, with high quality image) is virtually non-existent on cable TV. If we had it, that would be fine on both sets. Instead we get a compressed SD signal, small letterbox picture which has to be blown up 2-3x or so to fit full screen. I have not seen SD on a Plasma Samsung but I am expecting maybe a notch better than ST50. ST50 is considered a little weaker on 720p but its not bad. I am talking about TV signals, for streaming Netflix standard HD I find the Panny to be fine. 51-inch has the benefit of lower weight, but the rule these days get the biggest screen you can justify. Your 3D glasses should be compatible Samsung/Panny for 2012. Samsung 3D glasses think I paid $17 on Amazon. Your Samsung is probably lower energy than 55ST50 which runs about 300 watts after adjustment, but works 75-150 watts out of box, OK if you have dark room. Panny ST50 has special glare-reduction technology which makes it good for my room. UT50 great PQ but glare bigger issue. I don't have any IR issues but I almost always use full screen, I know some movies may have top/bottom bars but side bars I zoom to fit screen.
post #8567 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have my heart set on an ST50, can anyone recommend the best wall mount ? There are so many out there! I know that some do not fit.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty
post #8568 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post

I have my heart set on an ST50, can anyone recommend the best wall mount ? There are so many out there! I know that some do not fit.

These are slim mounts.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082812&p_id=6424&seq=1&format=2&ref=cj

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082812&p_id=6284&seq=1&format=2&ref=cj
post #8569 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks man for the tips. I've read all over the forums and others such as http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1917351, it seems like people are just tolerating the buzz or they have been to way too many bon jovi concerts, therefore they are basically deaf.
Others who say they don't hear anything, its dead silent are really unobservant, deaf, and or just teasing. So I will give that youtube video a try without wrecking my tv hopefully. Maybe try aligning the walls with acoustic foam or cardboard, but that would only make me seem obsessive/excessive.
Cheers.biggrin.gif

btw... What year/month is your panasonic model. Mine is November 2012, but it seems like it still makes the buzz sound... The guy in the video you linked is from 2011. I thought they had changed the screws to the later 2012 models...

Mine is an October 2012 build. As far as the video there's no way to tell if indeed the screws are updated on each individual display unless the back panel is removed. I would advise against doing that yourself. My reason for providing the video was purely informational not for DIY. Do so at your own risk. You could try tightening the outer screws to see if that helps, but I doubt it.
post #8570 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knewknow View Post

Hi All,

So I recently purchased a 55" ST50 in December, and am not 100% happy with my purchase. I ran the break-in slides for 100+ hours when I first got it, and configured as per the D-Nice settings and immediately had to make serious changes because the picture is too dark. Is anyone actually running with this config (contrast 76, brightness 56, color 43, tint 0, sharpness 0, gamma 2.6)? I can't see how this is acceptable even in a nearly pitch black room. The only way I can use this, is if I bump the gamma to 2.2 and contrast to 85 which produces a red tint on all black screens (this is due to the D-Nice pro settings). I have since leveled all pro settings to 0, kept the gamma at 2.2, bumped the contrast to 85, and moved the tint by 1 point towards red, which makes for some decent looking colours, and removes the nasty red tint on blacks. This seems to introduce other problems like cloudy/smokey looking scenes, and sunlight/light bleeding. AND.... I feel that the darks are still not defined enough. When I hook up my 2008 Kuro to the same source, the darks are perfectly defined and "pop", and there's no nasty cloudy effect on anything. For a TV that everyone says has such great picture quality, I just don't see it. The weird thing is that there's nothing I can do to make dark scenes pop, without increasing the brightness to like 80, and even at 100 on both contrast and brightness on the ST50, my Kuro still has a more defined and brighter picture at acceptable levels.

I'm running Blu Ray through PS3 (limited HDMI 16-235) and have the TV HDMI input set accordingly.
Gaming is done on PS3 and Xbox 360. I was playing dishonored a few days ago on the xbox, and everything was veiled in that cloudy effect. Hooked it up to the Kuro, and it was perfect.

Is there something wrong with my set? Any recommendations on some brightness settings? With everyone talking about such great picture on this set, I'm surprised I'm having such a tough time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA...

My 55ST50 is darker than I expected as well on certain content (blu rays look great), though I think part of the reason is that the blacks are so much blacker than my previous two plasmas. I'm using D-nice's reference settings. While gaming on my Xbox 360 right away I noticed that games looked dark. I had to increase contrast and/or the in-game brightness to get it so darks didn't blend together.

I notice you have a PS3. If you would be so kind as to run the AVS HD 709 calibration disc on your PS3 I'd appreciate it. I used AVCHD since I don't have a blu-ray burner. Run the black level and white level patterns to see what you're brightness and contrast should be. I'm particularly interested in your contrast. See how high you have to set it so that bars 235 and above flash. On my 55ST50 I could only get bars 243 and above to flash with contrast at 100.

EDIT: There's a lot of confusion regarding the correct 360 settings due the update that screwed everything up. I have mine currently set at Reference: Expanded and HDMI Color Space: RGB. Expanded makes colors more rich, but also darker blacks. Standard lightens the blacks which may be a better setting for the ST50. I've been meaning to try Standard, but keep forgetting.
post #8571 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Mine is an October 2012 build. As far as the video there's no way to tell if indeed the screws are updated on each individual display unless the back panel is removed. I would advise against doing that yourself. My reason for providing the video was purely informational not for DIY. Do so at your own risk. You could try tightening the outer screws to see if that helps, but I doubt it.

Actually without removing the back panel I was able to see the kind of screw I had. It is the updated screw with the washer to my delight. However, that means the buzz is not being caused by the screws i have. or we have... I think you have the updated screw with the washer in it. If you shine a flashlight through the vent hole on the left side of the back. you could see that its the updated screw with the washer, try it out. I'm thinking about opening the back panel and tightening the screws just a tad bit and see if it makes any difference. and i know its all at my risk, i've built computers and stuff before so, i'm a bit careful with things like this.
post #8572 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Quote:

Actually without removing the back panel I was able to see the kind of screw I had. It is the updated screw with the washer to my delight. However, that means the buzz is not being caused by the screws i have. or we have... I think you have the updated screw with the washer in it. If you shine a flashlight through the vent hole on the left side of the back. you could see that its the updated screw with the washer, try it out. I'm thinking about opening the back panel and tightening the screws just a tad bit and see if it makes any difference. and i know its all at my risk, i've built computers and stuff before so, i'm a bit careful with things like this.
Just for the record. I have had no buzzing. March build and all the screws I saw have washers.

Except the ones in the "subwoofer". Go figure.
After looking a little better, the ones for the sub look like they have applied an adhesive to keep them from rattling or backing out. Good deal.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8573 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just for the record. I have had no buzzing. March build and all the screws I saw have washers.

You're deaf. tongue.gif

I wish I didn't hear anything. I know what a plasma that has low level buzzing sounds like. Our 2008 Panasonic plasma can only be heard if I put my ear really close to the upper corners of the back panel. I have ~7 days to decide.
post #8574 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You're deaf. tongue.gif

I wish I didn't hear anything. I know what a plasma that has low level buzzing sounds like. Our 2008 Panasonic plasma can only be heard if I put my ear really close to the upper corners of the back panel. I have ~7 days to decide.
Personally for me it would be a no brainer. If it bothers you, return it.

post #8575 of 9989 Old 01-24-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Personally for me it would be a no brainer. If it bothers you, return it.

That's my gut instinct. The only thing holding me back is rolling the dice on another panel. If it doesn't buzz, but has other issues that weren't present on the one I have now, then what?
post #8576 of 9989 Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's my gut instinct. The only thing holding me back is rolling the dice on another panel. If it doesn't buzz, but has other issues that weren't present on the one I have now, then what?
Return it. That's way too much money to be unhappy. I returned 3 Samsung LEDs before I got my ST. Where did you buy from?

post #8577 of 9989 Old 01-25-2013, 05:51 AM

I just created a whole another topic for this, but maybe I should have just posted here...

I just got a new desktop computer for the living room for playing games and movies. Hooked up to the TV with an HDMI cable and I've just got to say that the picture leaves much to be desired. This is at the default "PC" setting for the TV. The text has a green tinge to it, is a bit fuzzy and just in general the picture doesn't look clean. Are there ways of adjusting either the TV set, the video card settings or both to make the picture look sharper and better? I realize that this isn't a high-quality LCD monitor I'm talking about, but there's got to be a way to make it look at least somewhat better than it is right now...

Thanks!
post #8578 of 9989 Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 AM

ive searched thru countless threads, pages, other links, and other a/v forums andi cant find concrete info on what VESA size mount will fit the 55st50. BB has a rocketfish mount for 100, but monoprice has a mount for 15.95. the R/F mount has a vesa rating of 700x400 where as the M/P mount has a vesa rating of up to a max 800x400. would the less expensive M/P mount work w/o any issues? just looking for a standard tilting (non-swiveling) mount.

link for the R/F
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sanus/9881868.p?id=1218188548973&skuId=9881868&st=RF-TVMLPT03&cp=1&lp=1#tab=overview

link for the M/P mount
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082801&p_id=5916&seq=1&format=2#description

thank everyone.
post #8579 of 9989 Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Return it. That's way too much money to be unhappy. I returned 3 Samsung LEDs before I got my ST. Where did you buy from?

Amazon.
post #8580 of 9989 Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 AM

I've looked through a lot of this thread over the past week (though not all of it because nearly 8600 comments is a ton). I think that the 50ST50 might be a good choice for what I'm after.

My wife and I currently have a 27" CRT in the living room that I'm looking to replace. We watch mostly SD TV content right now, with some DVD and Blu-Ray (our DVD player was dying so we went ahead and updated that already), with occasional video games (a few hours or so at a time every few weeks or so. I'm also an avid NFL fan, so there are days when I'd be watching a number of hours of football with the static elements on the screen.

Also, we're currently in an apartment but we plan to have a house in a few months, so I don't know exactly what the lighting will be like in the living room. I would assume that some combination of floor lamps and windows will be in play.

Given some of the concerns I've seen in this thread about IR and buzzing and what I'm looking for in a TV, would you recommend the 50ST50 for our living room use? Thanks in advance.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page