Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 289 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8641 of 10001 Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolowizard View Post

Dude, that sucks. I agree with you though, shouldn't have to try and live with that.
Wow, that's bad. Yeah, I haven't seen anything like that. I only played halo 4 multiplayer on this TV, though. Doubt that would make a difference, but full disclosure. I've played Red Dead and some Xbox arcade stuff. Everything has been fine. I'm using Rahzel's settings from way back in this thread if you want to cross check them with yours.

I'm running hdmi through my denon 2112, fwiw.

Multiplayer is where I first noticed it, so no. I also put in Killzone 3 on the PS3 and the issue is there as well. I feel like I'm missing something super obvious. I did a quick calibration with DVE to make it tolerable, and I'll run it again after a break-in period. I'll check the settings you mentioned because at this point, it can't hurt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

It's on custom with any and all processing off. I can't even imagine what modes/settings could possibly be causing this short of motion smoothing, and like I said, that's off. I have a bunch of other 360 games sitting here that I rented which I'll be trying out soon and I'll report back. What's odd is that the frame rate sounds right. I was playing around with the 3D conversion via Earth Defense Force, and that didn't even have any blur to speak of. Never seen an image hold together that well honestly. It runs at 60fps.

Edit: Here's an image that shows the issue in Halo 4:

Playing Sonic Generations in 3D reveals the same issue, which also runs at 30fps. Tried running the cable direct to my TV (runs through my receiver normally) and the issue remains. Hoping this will go away after a break-in period, but still wondering if anyone else is seeing/has seen this.

All 30fps games will show these framedoubling crap! You can try to set motionsmoother on to lessen the effect.
Thats why I bought especially a Samsung LED/LCD EH6030 to play the only 30fps games on it, works well because the "natural" LCD blur covers the framedoubling of 30fps!
Because the tv is 60Hz=60frames, when input 30 frames games, the tv simply doubles the 30frames to 60frames! same on LCD.

read this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1107325/30fps-gaming-at-60hz-and-the-effects-of-frame-doubling
read this: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=61174
read this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/960548/120hz-lcd-vs-crt-pics#post_12582317
post #8643 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 AM

TV makers are lame and should make a real 30fps mode for 30fps games, just like the 24fps movie mode, instead only a gamemode that disable some setting.
30fps gamers should demand a 30fps gamemode on tv's! who's gonna do it?
post #8644 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
How strange, I've never noticed this effect on my own tv, nor heard conversation about it elsewhere. What the heck...?

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #8645 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

How strange, I've never noticed this effect on my own tv, nor heard conversation about it elsewhere. What the heck...?

That's because you are not a (console) gamer!
We 30fps console gamers felt into the plasma trap, assuming it has not blur gaming blur, but then this nasty accurate Plasma framedoubling is worst then LCD blur!
post #8646 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrad View Post

All 30fps games will show these framedoubling crap! You can try to set motionsmoother on to lessen the effect.
Thats why I bought especially a Samsung LED/LCD EH6030 to play the only 30fps games on it, works well because the "natural" LCD blur covers the framedoubling of 30fps!
Because the tv is 60Hz=60frames, when input 30 frames games, the tv simply doubles the 30frames to 60frames! same on LCD.

read this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1107325/30fps-gaming-at-60hz-and-the-effects-of-frame-doubling
read this: http://www.avsforum.com/t/960548/120hz-lcd-vs-crt-pics#post_12582317

the 360 and PS3 output 60 fps, not 30 fps. So any doubling will be done inside the console, not by the TV.
post #8647 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post

the 360 and PS3 output 60 fps, not 30 fps. So any doubling will be done inside the console, not by the TV.

Yes, you are totally correct, consoles outputs at 60Hz. So we need a tv with frame-halving 30Hz/fps game convertion mode!
Do tv makers care or notice this 30fps gaming issue?
post #8648 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Yes, you are totally correct, consoles outputs at 60Hz. So we need a tv with frame-halving 30Hz/fps game convertion mode!
Do tv makers care or notice this 30fps gaming issue?

I am confused. If the game theoretically runs at 30 fps, and the console outputs 60 fps, and the TV (in your scenario) halves that to 30 fps, would that not make things worse? The signal would be converted twice, once by the console and once by the TV.

As a preemptive measure, I will tell you that I am a console gamer, having played on a plasma for years and never noticed any issues, including several Halo games (even the aforementioned Reach).

post #8649 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 06:07 AM

Liked: 13
Is there a specific flash drive to use with this tv. When i first bought it i was going to run the slides, but the flash drive i put the file on could not be read by the tv. Then i thought i read somewhere online that the flash drive had to be something specific. Anyone know what i need?
post #8650 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmp View Post

Is there a specific flash drive to use with this tv. When i first bought it i was going to run the slides, but the flash drive i put the file on could not be read by the tv. Then i thought i read somewhere online that the flash drive had to be something specific. Anyone know what i need?

Did you format the flash drive before loading the slides?

Also, the manual says that it can't display still images that are not DCF formatted (i.e. TIFF, BMP).

Let me ask though, are you getting it professionally calibrated? Because that is the main reason why one would run the slides to age the panel and get it ready for professional calibration. Otherwise, it is not really needed.
post #8651 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 839
No specific flash drive but it is best to do it on a pc instead of a mac. Are you using a mac?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #8652 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmp View Post

check the file system format. try fat32
post #8653 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEHD View Post

I am confused. If the game theoretically runs at 30 fps, and the console outputs 60 fps, and the TV (in your scenario) halves that to 30 fps, would that not make things worse? The signal would be converted twice, once by the console and once by the TV.

That is something the tv maker should solve out, it shouldn't be a problem as the 24Hz movie mode of any tv mode is always converted to 48Hz/60Hz etc. to the panels native 60Hz.

As a preemptive measure, I will tell you that I am a console gamer, having played on a plasma for years and never noticed any issues, including several Halo games (even the aforementioned Reach).

Some people are more visual sensitive then others, do you wear glasses?, you can probably have a problem find a job which require accurate visuals.
post #8654 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's because you are not a (console) gamer!
We 30fps console gamers felt into the plasma trap, assuming it has not blur gaming blur, but then this nasty accurate Plasma framedoubling is worst then LCD blur!

Actually, I bought an LCD in 2010 that I replaced in four days with a plasma because LCD blur bothered my eyes, especially in dim scenes. The plasma was different in its blur, and preferable, but it wasn't the perfection I'd been expecting. I think this thread explains the 'blur' I've sometimes seen while gaming... or maybe not? It's sporadic and even rare. Or maybe I'm just used to it now. Anyway, very informative thread and comments, thanks!

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #8655 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 06:53 AM

Liked: 10
This exact thing is happening to me. It's brutal watching hockey. Have you heard of a fix?
post #8656 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCREEP1NGDEATHx View Post

TV wasn't experiencing this problem till i turned on the hockey game. Picture started off dim (where I had it set ) then all of a sudden popped to a very high brightness and continued to do this (like a strobe light) till it gave me a headache and i turned it off. Tried messing with the settings and didn't have any luck. This did not happen on any other programming, but i know its not a cable thing. Returning the Tv for the Sony Hx929 sunday. Sorry guys. Maybe it was just a fluke and hopefully not to the same degree the 2011 plasmas had.

BTW - No this is not my first plasma. Owned the Samsung C8000 for a year, then tried the Samsung d6500 and now this set. The c8000 was fine except a lot of crosstalk during 3d. Im done fighting with the plasma sets for now, the sony should hold me over till oled.

I meant to quote this in my previous post. I have an ST50 and I'm having the same issue watching hockey games. The fluctuation is brightness is brutal! Do you know of a fix?
post #8657 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdefav1 View Post

Did you format the flash drive before loading the slides?

Also, the manual says that it can't display still images that are not DCF formatted (i.e. TIFF, BMP).

Let me ask though, are you getting it professionally calibrated? Because that is the main reason why one would run the slides to age the panel and get it ready for professional calibration. Otherwise, it is not really needed.

I'm not running any slides. My tv has been running for near 500 hours and has been calibrated already. Just looking to get a new flash drive and want to make sure it works with the tv. I had read that it had to be a certain size or something
post #8658 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechutes View Post

I meant to quote this in my previous post. I have an ST50 and I'm having the same issue watching hockey games. The fluctuation is brightness is brutal! Do you know of a fix?

What picture mode are you in? I noticed when using standard mode the brightness will fluctuate. It even mentions the fluctuation in the manual. I have been watching a lot of Blackhawks hockey in Custom mode and have not had any fluctuations.

PSN: amays32
post #8659 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:

That is something the tv maker should solve out, it shouldn't be a problem as the 24Hz movie mode of any tv mode is always converted to 48Hz/60Hz etc. to the panels native 60Hz.

Some people are more visual sensitive then others, do you wear glasses?, you can probably have a problem find a job which require accurate visuals.

I meant that if the console is sending out 60 the TV, which is natively 60, would not have to do anything. It is getting exactly what it needs from the console. Why do you propose having it take 60 and make 30? I could see your point of having a "30 Hz Mode" if the console passed through 30.

To your other absurd remark, no, I do not wear glasses. I am also sure that I am not the only one who has not experienced issues with plasmas. See Wolowizard's comment, for instance.

post #8660 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 07:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechutes View Post

I was watching a little hockey and ice skating this weekend and did not see this issue yet on my set.
But this is due to power protection circuits in the Plasma TVs due to the white colors use more watts.
Make sure your automatic dimming C.A.T.S. is off so room lighting change does not cause dimming.
I have contrast/brightness/gamma at 80/61/2.6 which is near CNET settings and not too high power consumption. I do not know if these calibration settings help to minimize the problem hockey viewers have reported.But Contrast especially over 80 increases power as does Gamma below 2.6, I find. I also find component input seems to consume more power than coax/ant input, have not compared to HDMI yet.
post #8661 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTBill View Post

...did you need anything besides Disney WOW disc to calibrate the colors? (did you need a device to measure colors- or just blue glasses etc?). So far I have just used the free AVSHD DVD. I found CNET settings on Contrast/Brightness (82/60) to be good on my set at Gamma=2.6. Except I am backing off to 80/61save energy a little bit.

Sorry, I missed this earlier. The WoW disc comes with a blue filter that you use to calibrate chroma and hue with a color-bar test pattern.

post #8662 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:

Actually, I bought an LCD in 2010 that I replaced in four days with a plasma because LCD blur bothered my eyes, especially in dim scenes. The plasma was different in its blur, and preferable, but it wasn't the perfection I'd been expecting. I think this thread explains the 'blur' I've sometimes seen while gaming... or maybe not? It's sporadic and even rare. Or maybe I'm just used to it now. Anyway, very informative thread and comments, thanks!

With the blur, it looked somewhat natural - blur happens in real life. This is too crisp. When I need to turn around and start shooting quickly, I'm literally looking at three different people for a split second, enough for my shot to whiz by an artificial target. Now I'm conflicted what to do with this TV.

Thanks for all of the information.
post #8663 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the blur, it looked somewhat natural - blur happens in real life. This is too crisp. When I need to turn around and start shooting quickly, I'm literally looking at three different people for a split second, enough for my shot to whiz by an artificial target. Now I'm conflicted what to do with this TV.

That's wild. I'm confident that I've never seen this, gaming on PS3 and 360 over the last three years. On the other hand, my plasma is a Samsung (although it sounds like that shouldn't matter). I'll see in a couple of weeks whether my ST50 does this, and come back to the thread with my own findings.

post #8664 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:

That's wild. I'm confident that I've never seen this, gaming on PS3 and 360 over the last three years. On the other hand, my plasma is a Samsung (although it sounds like that shouldn't matter). I'll see in a couple of weeks whether my ST50 does this, and come back to the thread with my own findings.

Yes, same here...and my previous set is a Panny plasma. Entry-level 720p, too. So, one would figure it would perform more poorly as compared to a mid-to-upper-range ST. I have not done any serious gaming on the ST (been playing some Black Ops II and currently Borderlands 2 on the PC lately) so I cannot speak with 100% confidence about this set in particular. I am speaking more to the notion of plasmas' performance in general. I will report back when I get my game on with the ST. Ironically, the game that is waiting for me is Halo 4. tongue.gif

post #8665 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 AM

i let the color slides play thru the night, and another panasonic black/white bar sweeping mode once today. the fox2 image is still brunt in and is not going away. so i called the geek squad, he said i still had 2 days to do a return for a new one. so i just got back from my local BB. they are having one shipped in from another store, then they will bring it to my house for replacement. this time, the new tv will be in my spare room and the color slides will run for 200 hrs this time w/o any interruption or regular tv watching untill the 200hr cycle is done.

one thing i didnt see upon the hundreds of posts ive read about the 55st50, is when your doing the slide break in, what are your color/temp settings at? dont adjust it from the factory, or max out contrast and brightness?
post #8666 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 AM

i just watched the redwings/blackhawks game last night. and other games in the past few weeks. i havent experienced any issues with color clarity or ghosting images.
55st50
custom
80 constast
62 brightness
2.2 gamma
all other settings are copied exactly from cnets specs
post #8667 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonRR View Post

i let the color slides play thru the night, and another panasonic black/white bar sweeping mode once today. the fox2 image is still brunt in and is not going away. so i called the geek squad, he said i still had 2 days to do a return for a new one. so i just got back from my local BB. they are having one shipped in from another store, then they will bring it to my house for replacement. this time, the new tv will be in my spare room and the color slides will run for 200 hrs this time w/o any interruption or regular tv watching untill the 200hr cycle is done.

one thing i didnt see upon the hundreds of posts ive read about the 55st50, is when your doing the slide break in, what are your color/temp settings at? dont adjust it from the factory, or max out contrast and brightness?

I would use Custom mode (within the Photos settings) and leave everything default, especially if you intend to use D-nice's reference settings. Default has contrast at 100 and brightness at 50. I believe the higher contrast ages the pixels faster.

First, turn the pixel orbiter off: Menu-->Setup-->Anti image retention-->Off. Press VIERA TOOLS -> Media-Player -> Photos to show thumbnails of all the pictures on your USB stick. Then press 'MENU' on the remote. Choose 'Picture' and select Picture mode: Custom. Again, leave all settings at default. Press the 'RETURN' button on the remote. Next Press the red rectangular button under 'R" on the remote. Set the 'Slideshow Settings' to the following:

Slideshow Settings

Frame: Off
Photo Effect: Off
Transition Effect: Off
Photo Size: Normal
Burst Playback: Off
Display Interval: Slow
Repeat Playback: On

Finally, select 'Start Slideshow' on the menu.

The above is a shortened version of what is available on the high def junkies forum. I would suggest registering there and looking at the "2012 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread". Posts #1 and #41 have all the info in more detail.
post #8668 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 PM

I'm having this same problem too and it's driving me crazy... i was able to set my directv to output in 1080i but some games on ps3 will not allow this.

i have a Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma that is from 2008 and it looks amazing in 720p which is why I got the tc-55st50 over another brand or LED and this newer model looks like an oil painting!!! what gives!?!

did you find a solution to this by any chance. I called Panasonic and they didn't have a clue.
I'm pretty furious...
post #8669 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

That picture you posted would probably make me sick. There has to be something wrong or something. I have played Black Ops 2 for 3 or 4 days in a row and 6-8 hours each day and I have never seen anything like that at all. Wait, did you say you played with it in Custom mode? If you havent already, try switching to Game mode instead. That is what I play in and everything has worked very well, would never get an LCD again.
post #8670 of 10001 Old 01-28-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post

That picture you posted would probably make me sick. There has to be something wrong or something. I have played Black Ops 2 for 3 or 4 days in a row and 6-8 hours each day and I have never seen anything like that at all. Wait, did you say you played with it in Custom mode? If you havent already, try switching to Game mode instead. That is what I play in and everything has worked very well, would never get an LCD again.

Black Ops (and all COD games) run at 60fps.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page