Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 298 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwho25 View Post

How do I tell this TV to output sound through the ARC HDMI port? I've got it connected to my Sony STR DH820 receiver but no sound comes out of the receiver; the TV cuts off it's own speakers and the 'home theater volume' bar appears on the bottom, so I can assume it knows that it's supposed to be outputting sound. My Xbox 360 and blu ray player are connected to the TV with 1.4a cables, and I've connected to the receiver with the another 1.4a cable using the ARC slot on the TV and receiver... this is pretty annoying that I can't get it to work, and I'd like to avoid connecting everything into the receiver bc the cables I have aren't long enough to reach, and re-arranging things is to make it work is going to be pretty difficult with the living space that I have (military barracks are not exactly large, lol). Thanks for the help!!

Have you enabled arc in your receiver? I don't own a Sony but on my onkyo you have to enable arc in setup menu. Are you sure you have the HDMI connected to hdmi 2 arc on tv? It definitely works, just play around with the settings. Are you trying to get sound from viera apps?

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't see any option in the receiver's menus for arc, jus HDMI pass through and control, both of which are on. I'm trying to get sound from the xbox and bluray player, which are connected to the tv's hdmi ports. And yes, i've double-checked a few times and the arc ports are connected from the TV to the receiver
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM

on the receiver, the ARC slot says 'tv out' Is that the issue? I figured it wouldn't matter since it's an ARC port but maybe it does.. I really would like to avoid trying to move everything around to try and make it work, without having to buy longer hdmi cables. Do i need to use some 1.3 cables? I have a few, maybe that would work with the receiver better?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I didn't see any option in the receiver's menus for arc, jus HDMI pass through and control, both of which are on. I'm trying to get sound from the xbox and bluray player, which are connected to the tv's hdmi ports. And yes, i've double-checked a few times and the arc ports are connected from the TV to the receiver

I saw your post in another thread too. You need to make everything pass through the receiver, that's what it's there for. Connect the Xbox and the BD player to the receiver, and then the receiver to the TV. ARC is only for sound originating from the TV e.g. from the TV's tuner or from apps. A cable or satellite box should also go via the receiver.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not calibration.

Epson 5030UB, 100" Carada Criterion with Classic Cinema White, Denon AVR 1713, NHT Classic Twos, NHT Absolute Center, NHT SuperZeros, Klipsch SW-450, Oppo 103D
Old 02-16-2013, 11:52 AM

Right, I wasn't sure what thread would get responses faster tongue.gif I swear I've made it work this way before with a different TV, having everything go into the TV and then an ARC connecting to the receiver, but maybe I'm not remembering right. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you have Xbox and bluray player hooked up to receiver hdmi than hdmi out to hdmi 2 input on tv? And tv says home theater speakers and hdmi setting on tv says digital? You should be getting sound.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

Old 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM

no, i had them plugged into the TV's hdmi ports, then i used the hdmi 2 arc output to go to my receiver's arc hdmi port. Apparently I have to do it like you said, with everything going into the receiver isntead of the TV. But how can I do 3D on my blu ray and xbox? (or get an image at all, I've always routed stuff to the TV and then I think used a fiber optic cable for the audio) I don't think this receiver passes 3D through to the TV, and I just bought this thing before I got this new TV
Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

no, i had them plugged into the TV's hdmi ports, then i used the hdmi 2 arc output to go to my receiver's arc hdmi port. Apparently I have to do it like you said, with everything going into the receiver isntead of the TV. But how can I do 3D on my blu ray and xbox? (or get an image at all, I've always routed stuff to the TV and then I think used a fiber optic cable for the audio) I don't think this receiver passes 3D through to the TV, and I just bought this thing before I got this new TV

Appearently it does 3D pass through biggrin.gif

Old 02-16-2013, 12:18 PM

well that's awesome, I didn't see anything displayed on the receiver or mentioned in the manual, but that's good to know, thanks
Old 02-16-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:

well that's awesome, I didn't see anything displayed on the receiver or mentioned in the manual, but that's good to know, thanks
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH820-Channel-Receiver-Black/dp/B004QOA920/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1361042609&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+str+dh820

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 PM

Well I feel dumb... lol thanks. Alright, guess I'll start re-arranging things and should be able to get things working again. Thanks everyone
Old 02-16-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Alternatively, you could plug each component into the separate hdmi ports on the TV, like you had previously, and then run an optical cable from your receiver to the TV. Select TV (or whatever the default optical output setting on the receiver is) on the receiver to get sound from your speakers.

This is my setup because for some reason my Denon AVR-1712 shows a couple of rows of black pixels on the left side when I connect the components to the receiver and a single hdmi to the TV. Apparently the receiver needs a firmware upgrade to remedy this, but the 1712 doesn't have network connectivity so I would have to bring it to a service center.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

Alternatively, you could plug each component into the separate hdmi ports on the TV, like you had previously, and then run an optical cable from your receiver to the TV. Select TV (or whatever the default optical output setting on the receiver is) on the receiver to get sound from your speakers.

This is my setup because for some reason my Denon AVR-1712 shows a couple of rows of black pixels on the left side when I connect the components to the receiver and a single hdmi to the TV. Apparently the receiver needs a firmware upgrade to remedy this, but the 1712 doesn't have network connectivity so I would have to bring it to a service center.
Your 1712 will not update via usb?

Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

1) Dithering is not an issue more than any other tv.
2) There is no Dynamic Contrast setting that I know of.
3) Buzzing is no more an issue than with any other plasma.
4) You can hook up any type or brand of surround sound you want.
5) The st will not reflect significantly worse than any other tv in that spot. At that angle can you even see the reflection? Particularly in the green seat I wouldnt think that you could even see a reflection.
Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if I can see a reflection at that angle as I've just moved house and that will be the layout smile.gif I imagined that there would be a slight reflection but I could be wrong.
As for the Dynamic Contrast, apparently the GT50 has this whilst in game mode and it can't be turned off, so I wondered if it was a feature on the ST50s too.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dose View Post

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if I can see a reflection at that angle as I've just moved house and that will be the layout smile.gif I imagined that there would be a slight reflection but I could be wrong.
As for the Dynamic Contrast, apparently the GT50 has this whilst in game mode and it can't be turned off, so I wondered if it was a feature on the ST50s too.
The st does not have dynamic contrast.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Right, I wasn't sure what thread would get responses faster tongue.gif I swear I've made it work this way before with a different TV, having everything go into the TV and then an ARC connecting to the receiver, but maybe I'm not remembering right. Thanks for the help!

Are you using the receiver to upconvert HD cable content before it goes to the ST? If so does it improve PQ?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

The st does not have dynamic contrast.
That's good to know, thanks for the reply.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:19 AM

Liked: 13
Just a little update to my network wifi problem. I called panasonic to let them know that my tv will not recognize my wireless network(or any other network). We ran through a few options and manually entered alot of diifferent numbers, IP address, DNS, etc.. Nothing worked. I was told a tech would be calling me in 1-2 business days. So i'll wait and see. Hoping nothing is wrong with this set. It's been damn near perfect for me so far
Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmp View Post

Just a little update to my network wifi problem. I called panasonic to let them know that my tv will not recognize my wireless network(or any other network). We ran through a few options and manually entered alot of diifferent numbers, IP address, DNS, etc.. Nothing worked. I was told a tech would be calling me in 1-2 business days. So i'll wait and see. Hoping nothing is wrong with this set. It's been damn near perfect for me so far

I am sure that you have tried this, but I am just relaying my experience. When I first got the ST (I mean the first day) it was having issues recognizing/finding my wireless network. I could have hard-wired it as the modem is right next to it, but that is a different story for a different day. Anyways, I unplugged it and tried again and it found it and connected right away. It has always been finicky, though. Even to this day it will "lose" the connection. But, all that I have to do is go through the find connection screen that pops up and it connects.

Best of luck in your attempts at a solution!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEHD View Post

I am sure that you have tried this, but I am just relaying my experience. When I first got the ST (I mean the first day) it was having issues recognizing/finding my wireless network. I could have hard-wired it as the modem is right next to it, but that is a different story for a different day. Anyways, I unplugged it and tried again and it found it and connected right away. It has always been finicky, though. Even to this day it will "lose" the connection. But, all that I have to do is go through the find connection screen that pops up and it connects.

Best of luck in your attempts at a solution!

unplug the tv or the modem/router? I unplugged the modem but that had no effect. I went to the find connection screen and it searches for it and again nothing. I'll just have to wait and see what panasonic's people can come up with.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmp View Post

unplug the tv or the modem/router? I unplugged the modem but that had no effect. I went to the find connection screen and it searches for it and again nothing. I'll just have to wait and see what panasonic's people can come up with.

The TV. When I first got the TV it sat on the stand that my previous 42" sat on while I waited for the new stand to arrive. When I unplugged the TV to move it to the new stand and re-tried the wireless setup is when it connected.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just got my ST50 open item for a fantastic price. I was wondering for break in (assuming this set hasn't been broken in already) if I can just watch it in cinema mode right out of the box, or should just use standard mode.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich7sena View Post

I just got my ST50 open item for a fantastic price. I was wondering for break in (assuming this set hasn't been broken in already) if I can just watch it in cinema mode right out of the box, or should just use standard mode.

Cinema should work with conservative settings, standard mode is horrible and will give you excessive dithering and low light output.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 02-19-2013, 05:23 PM

Hi folks, i bought the 50" st50 last week at my local b&m store. hung it in my bedroom (replacing a very old lcd) and so far im wondering if i have a defective unit. i have no buzz or anything like that but the picture is just not very impressive to my eyes.

After first use i turned off the smoother effect which stopped the god aweful soap opera effect. Ive tried cnet and dnice settings and am still underwhelmed. the best description i can give is that its just a dull looking picture even with hd content. black is very black but it just doesnt seem to be a very clear or sharp image. Also noticed with the nba allstar pregame show a huge amount of pixelation with all the lighting affects and what appeared to be motion blur. reminded me of my old lcd. as a reference i have a 59" pnd8000 in my living room and love it so im no stranger to plasma.

Am i missing something here or do i just need to exchange it?
Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Whats the resolution of your source ?

Darbee DVP5000
Old 02-19-2013, 05:57 PM

1080i coming from directv dvr over hdmi
Old 02-19-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

You are using custom mode or cinema ?

Darbee DVP5000
Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohns72 View Post

Hi folks, i bought the 50" st50 last week at my local b&m store. hung it in my bedroom (replacing a very old lcd) and so far im wondering if i have a defective unit. i have no buzz or anything like that but the picture is just not very impressive to my eyes.

After first use i turned off the smoother effect which stopped the god aweful soap opera effect. Ive tried cnet and dnice settings and am still underwhelmed. the best description i can give is that its just a dull looking picture even with hd content. black is very black but it just doesnt seem to be a very clear or sharp image. Also noticed with the nba allstar pregame show a huge amount of pixelation with all the lighting affects and what appeared to be motion blur. reminded me of my old lcd. as a reference i have a 59" pnd8000 in my living room and love it so im no stranger to plasma.

Am i missing something here or do i just need to exchange it?

Please list all of your picture settings.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

You are using custom mode or cinema ?

Used custom with cnet settings and stock cinema.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohns72 View Post

Used custom with cnet settings and stock cinema.

I guess you don't have a blu-ray player? If you do watch a blu-ray movie and then compare that to satellite. I have a 55ST50 and blu-rays are amazing, but some HD satellite content is underwhelming. Too much compression going on. I watch a lot of soccer and while the close up images of the players look good, when the camera is farther back (most of the game) the picture quality is pretty bad.

Another possible factor is that the ST50 has a softer, more film-like image, which many people aren't used to and/or don't like.

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv