Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 301 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9001 of 10006 Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Getting mine tomorrow. Are there any good Game mode calibrations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9002 of 10006 Old 02-27-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdsnapBryan View Post

If it's anything like the Game mode on the GT50, I don't think so. I will let someone else answer though.
post #9003 of 10006 Old 02-27-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

I've had my 60ST50 for two weeks now. I have not found good gaming settings, though in truth I have not really gamed since I bought the set, just a 15 minute test session actually. I ran slides for nearly two weeks when not watching the set and am using a modified version of D-Nice settings for TV/Movie viewing now. I have a professional calibrator coming on March 16 so I will get his suggestions for game settings at that time.
post #9004 of 10006 Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

White flashing is perfectly normal. Those are the camera flashes triggering the ABL. What is black flashing?
That was part of the concern with the UT50. It was similar to the viewer blinking their eyes. On the other hand, the camera flashes and light shows -- at times of goals for example -- never had such a drastic effect on my 2 Sony LCDs. The white flashes were visible but the UT50 took them to a new, brighter level that -- when combined with the black flicker -- made hockey unviewable.

The ST50 arrived about an hour ago. Going through 2 UT's in 2 weeks has made the 3rd install much more efficient. cool.gif
post #9005 of 10006 Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Williams View Post

That was part of the concern with the UT50. It was similar to the viewer blinking their eyes. On the other hand, the camera flashes and light shows -- at times of goals for example -- never had such a drastic effect on my 2 Sony LCDs. The white flashes were visible but the UT50 took them to a new, brighter level that -- when combined with the black flicker -- made hockey unviewable.

The ST50 arrived about an hour ago. Going through 2 UT's in 2 weeks has made the 3rd install much more efficient. cool.gif

I'm still not sure if I understand what you're talking about, but I'll go ahead and give you my interpretation. You wouldn't notice the effect on your LCD's because the problem is the ABL. On your LCD you see the flashes in hockey or basketball games, but it doesn't affect your overall picture. On a plasma the bright flashes are triggering the ABL and causing your screen to "black flash", where the effect is a darker looking flash as your screen dims for a split second. If you're actually seeing something "BLACK" however, then I'm not sure what that would possibly mean.

Edit: The ABL should be much better on your ST50, so that might not bother you as much as the UT50.

Good luck! smile.gif
post #9006 of 10006 Old 02-27-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:

I'm still not sure if I understand what you're talking about, but I'll go ahead and give you my interpretation. You wouldn't notice the effect on your LCD's because the problem is the ABL. On your LCD you see the flashes in hockey or basketball games, but it doesn't affect your overall picture. On a plasma the bright flashes are triggering the ABL and causing your screen to "black flash", where the effect is a darker looking flash as your screen dims for a split second. If you're actually seeing something "BLACK" however, then I'm not sure what that would possibly mean.

Edit: The ABL should be much better on your ST50, so that might not bother you as much as the UT50.

Good luck! smile.gif
I did some basic research on ABL and we may be on the right page. At the very least, I understand the meaning of ABL. smile.gif The LCD screen didn't wash out the entire screen in response to hockey arena lights/camera flashes. The plasma has a stronger, negative response. Sometimes, it looks like a massive camera flash and sometimes, its simulating a double-eye blink. I'm banking on the ST50.
post #9007 of 10006 Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Williams View Post

I did some basic research on ABL and we may be on the right page. At the very least, I understand the meaning of ABL. smile.gif The LCD screen didn't wash out the entire screen in response to hockey arena lights/camera flashes. The plasma has a stronger, negative response. Sometimes, it looks like a massive camera flash and sometimes, its simulating a double-eye blink. I'm banking on the ST50.

Yeah, the ST50 should be better, but it's something you might have to adjust to as well.
post #9008 of 10006 Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:

Yeah, the ST50 should be better, but it's something you might have to adjust to as well.
So far, so good. NBC Sports's coverage of the Caps vs Flyers looks better than what I experienced with the UT50.
post #9009 of 10006 Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post

Please list all of your picture settings.

I posted a day or two ago with this same problem I was craving more focus and detail and no matter what I did I was still not able to dial in my vision of a perfect picture. I have however found something that bumped my viewing pleasure up TREMENDOUSLY! Seeing as playing with the sharpness on the set does nothing in a fit of curiosity/desparation I did something I never do, took a chance on tweaking my display with my DENON AVR-1913 picture adjustments stumbled upon "enhancer" ticked it a few times and... WOW FINALLY THERE IT IS!!! Detail and focus. This may go against the videophile grain but if you feel your set is a little hazy and you own a denon receiver give it a try.
post #9010 of 10006 Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Hey, cool! Thanks for reporting your findings--I always wonder how much real world experience gets lost and has to be re-discovered when folks don't share. Congrats and thanks again.

I have a Denon also, basically the same model from an earlier year (AVR-891). I've never considered using its processing stuff, and I'm completely satisfied with my picture, but now I'm curious and will poke around to see what I find.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #9011 of 10006 Old 02-28-2013, 12:39 AM

My ST50 50" set just got replaced its panel due to some issue. After few hours of testing I saw a thin pink/red vertical line on the screen but it disappeared in 4-5 second and I haven't seen it again.
It does look like this (picture I found on the internet):
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/dunks517/29112008054.jpg

The new panel is probally faulty . Should I worry about it?
post #9012 of 10006 Old 02-28-2013, 12:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post

My ST50 50" set just got replaced its panel due to some issue. After few hours of testing I saw a thin pink/red vertical line on the screen but it disappeared in 4-5 second and I haven't seen it again.

The new panel is probably faulty . Should I worry about it?
How much warranty do you have left after they replaced your panel. If your set is still under it's Panasonic one year warranty. notify Panasonic and get them to document what you've seen.

Some extended warranties expire after you use them one time.

If you are covered then I would wait to see if the red line comes back. If it does come back. it's a bad panel for sure.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9013 of 10006 Old 02-28-2013, 07:49 AM

Anyone seen problems with the PC input? My new unit, it worked fine last week but today I can not get anything. I've tried 2 different laptops, 2 cables, nothing. Laptops work ok going to monitors.

Thanks.

edit: Using VGA cable.

re-edit: Found out when switching to external video jack on notebook it was putting the desktop into an unsupported video mode on the TV. All ok at no more than 1024x768 (not that that is all that great). Time to find a vga-dvi-hdmi conversion.

Cb
post #9014 of 10006 Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

How much warranty do you have left after they replaced your panel. If your set is still under it's Panasonic one year warranty. notify Panasonic and get them to document what you've seen.

Some extended warranties expire after you use them one time.

If you are covered then I would wait to see if the red line comes back. If it does come back. it's a bad panel for sure.
My warranty is still 9 months left. Will do that.
post #9015 of 10006 Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

I've had my 60ST50 for two weeks now. I have not found good gaming settings, though in truth I have not really gamed since I bought the set, just a 15 minute test session actually. I ran slides for nearly two weeks when not watching the set and am using a modified version of D-Nice settings for TV/Movie viewing now. I have a professional calibrator coming on March 16 so I will get his suggestions for game settings at that time.

This would be great. I mostly game on my panasonic plasma. Thought the picture was amazing on the S2, eager to see the ST50.
post #9016 of 10006 Old 02-28-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

I have a Denon also, basically the same model from an earlier year (AVR-891). I've never considered using its processing stuff, and I'm completely satisfied with my picture, but now I'm curious and will poke around to see what I find.

It is indeed present on my 891. It doesn't do anything I want but it's cool to know what it does. Neat!

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #9017 of 10006 Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

Under the assumption that you've kept the viewing distance the same as for your LG, there is enough of a size increase between the two sets that the newer (Larger) panel will do a "better job" of Showing Off whatever flaws exist in your program source(s).

And, alas, MOST cable programs - "HD" or not - contain a fair amount of flaws.

Am also of the opinion - which seems reasonably widely held - that there IS a Difference in the "Look" of a Plasma as opposed to a LCD - with the former being more "film-like" (and hence often judged as "soft") and the latter being more "Computer Monitor-ish" - a bit crisper around edges.

Since you've been viewing a LCD panel for some time, you have grown accustomed to its "look," and it will probably take a bit of time for the plasma picture to appear "normal."

You might also try fiddling with the Motion Smoother control on the Panasonic: My father has a pair of 47" Samsung LCDs and ALWAYS complains about our plasma sets - although he is happier once I up the motion smoothing on our 60ST50 (the older panels lack that option, of course): he has simply grown accustomed to the "SOA" on his LCDs....[/quot

Sorry for the empty post...

Anyway I always had the 120hz off on my LCD, couldn't stand all the artifacts. Borrowed a buddies ps3 and rented brave in 3D it's incredible! I'm gonna see if I get used to it. My buddy has a 6 yr old Sammy plasma and its so gorgeous it made me want one. I'm going to keep fiddling with it. We have 5 lcd's so I'm sure I'm used to that look but I got this TV FOR $1099 at abc warehouse brand new in the box (I told the price sue me I'm a newbie) so I'm going to keep messing with it til I fall in love. Thank you so much for your help!
I don't mean to sound like an a**, but to noobie video enthusiasts, you cannot "turn off" 120hz.

post #9018 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by syphon View Post

I don't mean to sound like an a**, but to noobie video enthusiasts, you cannot "turn off" 120hz.
I've never owned a LCD display, but I've owned a lot of LCD computer monitors where I've been able to select the refresh rate. Maybe his old LCD TV let him select between 60Hrz and 120Hrz.

Calibration Resources:

post #9019 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post

The new panel is probally faulty . Should I worry about it?

Update, It had showed up again and has been there for a few hours. Sigh... I'm going to call Customer Support
post #9020 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 AM

I'm a little worried about the vertical viewing angle of my ST50. My viewing angle is 6.5 feet away and 2 feet below the center of the television, since I lay on the floor to watch TV. It doesn't sound like a drastic angle... but I hope it will be ok.
post #9021 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:

I'm a little worried about the vertical viewing angle of my ST50. My viewing angle is 6.5 feet away and 2 feet below the center of the television, since I lay on the floor to watch TV. It doesn't sound like a drastic angle... but I hope it will be ok.

Have you received the set yet? You should be OK. I sit ~10 feet from my 60st50 with the center of my screen at eye level. This seems to work for me. When I stand next to the TV the screen is a bit washed out when viewed from above, as I think the anti-glare coating is blocking out some of my overhead lighting. Viewing from below the screen you should be ok. Many of my friends have their panels mounted above eye level.
post #9022 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:

Have you received the set yet? You should be OK. I sit ~10 feet from my 60st50 with the center of my screen at eye level. This seems to work for me. When I stand next to the TV the screen is a bit washed out when viewed from above, as I think the anti-glare coating is blocking out some of my overhead lighting. Viewing from below the screen you should be ok. Many of my friends have their panels mounted above eye level.
+1

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9023 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmasta346 View Post

Thanks. I guess I am getting caught up on what determines "break-in," vs what doesn't. I'm willing to give this a try, it doesn't sound like it is too difficult, just getting caught up on some terminology.
I'm in the same boat. So assuming we use the D-Nice slides and settings for 100 hours, how do we "break in" the TV after that? Just watching varied content in full screen for another 100 hours? And is there a "D-Nice for Dummies" thread/FAQ anywhere? I have the slides and slideshow settings, but there doesn't seem to be any basic instructions for how to actually start the slideshow, whether or not you can have the television on for 100 consecutive hours (as opposed to shutting it off for a bit to cool down), etc.
post #9024 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Todd View Post

I'm in the same boat. So assuming we use the D-Nice slides and settings for 100 hours, how do we "break in" the TV after that? Just watching varied content in full screen for another 100 hours? And is there a "D-Nice for Dummies" thread/FAQ anywhere? I have the slides and slideshow settings, but there doesn't seem to be any basic instructions for how to actually start the slideshow, whether or not you can have the television on for 100 consecutive hours (as opposed to shutting it off for a bit to cool down), etc.

I believe the slides merely aid in aging the phosphors evenly. The ST50 has a guaranteed half-life of 100,000 hours so running it for a mere 100 consecutive hours is not an issue. I personally used the slides for two consecutive weeks when not watching the unit. In essence, right out of the box, I ran the panel 336 hours without ever shutting if off. My main reason for doing this was to check for issues while under the Amazon warranty. During this time I only witnessed the pq get better and better. I currently use a dnice settings for my FIOS hdmi input and CNET settings for my Blu-Ray hdmi input. I am having my unit professionally calibrated in two weeks and I am curious to see if they can increase my pq any further, as it is already great.

Also you don’t have to use the slides. You can just watch your TV in full screen mode with the contrast and brightness settings turned down for the first 100 hours or so. I found dnice’s instructions self-explanatory. If you are using a SDcard, just hit the SDcard button on your remote and follow the on screen instructions. Enjoy your set.
post #9025 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Gotcha cool. It has arrived, it's sitting on my floor going through the slides while my other TV is up on the stand. Too lazy to put it up there until 100 hours to see if the viewing angle is good. I was judging it mostly from looking down at the screen, it's good to hear that filter mostly affects looking at the at the TV from abve.
post #9026 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I'm a noob, but I think I can tackle this question. On my S2 I was confused on how to start the slideshow too or how to actually get to it. On the ST50 hit the VIERA TOOLS button on the remote (next to the big green button), then go to the photo mode listed in the bottom, then you can start the slideshow with a buttom press that will be listed on the TV. You just have to do the 100 hours with slides and that is break in, no additional time. I ran my S2 for 100 straight hours and nothing bad happened, TV turned out insanely good looking, plan to do the same with this ST50
post #9027 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There is indeed an FAQ on page 3 of the ST50 Settings thread at HDJ.

post #9028 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Gotcha cool. It has arrived, it's sitting on my floor going through the slides while my other TV is up on the stand. Too lazy to put it up there until 100 hours to see if the viewing angle is good. I was judging it mostly from looking down at the screen, it's good to hear that filter mostly affects looking at the at the TV from abve.

If you haven't already, take off the plastic film on the bezel. Leaving it on could adversely affect the aging process due to uneven heat build-up around the bezel.
post #9029 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

If you haven't already, take off the plastic film on the bezel. Leaving it on could adversely affect the aging process due to uneven heat build-up around the bezel.
Seriously? I think thats the first Ive heard that. I know you should take it off but I was under the impression that it was because the heat would basically bake it on to the bezel and make it very difficult to get off. It does have a minute amount of adhesive on it.

post #9030 of 10006 Old 03-01-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm in the same boat. So assuming we use the D-Nice slides and settings for 100 hours, how do we "break in" the TV after that?
Just to be clear, D-Nice has one group of settings for running the slides right out of the box. After doing that, you enter D-Nice's calibrated settings for normal viewing. If you've already been using your TV for normal viewing then forget the slides. The slides are only relevant in the first 100 hours of use on a new TV that D-Nice has calibrated and then posted settings.
Quote:
Just watching varied content in full screen for another 100 hours?
A lot of plasma owners have done the following:

Click here.
Quote:
whether or not you can have the television on for 100 consecutive hours (as opposed to shutting it off for a bit to cool down)
You can do it any way you want. It doesn't make any difference to the TV. The most dangerous time for any electronic device is when it's powered on and cool. eek.gif

Calibration Resources:

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page