Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 304 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggweeziehd View Post

No I don't like the crazy settings in the store and I feel the set is bright enough for me, the sharpness as I have said is def different. My buddies Sammy plasma isn't soft. So it leads me to wonder if all the talk of "cinema like" is really a thing that's purposefully done or just something owners have made up to justify the st50 soft picture. Also my set is an 55st50. I went to the store as its on my way home from work to take a look and ask questions. The 50 sits next to the 55. And then the sales guy says "I notice how the 55 isn't as sharp as the 50... One day I switched the settings so they were the same and also swapped the sources and I still noticed it" I'm just searching here I guess. I love the color and the black level and the features too... Please comment on the "cinema like"

When I read your post above in which you quoted someone else I saw 65" and thought yours was 65".

I don't recall anyone else making the comment that the 55ST50 isn't as sharp as the 50ST50. I'm curious about this. I wonder if the two displays in store had identical settings.

As far as cinema like, I take it to mean that the picture is softer and doesn't have any artificial edge enhancement aka sharpness.

I will say that the dish onscreen menu seems a little out of focus (softer) on my 55ST50 compared to both a 42" and 50" Panasonic plasma in the house. It was one of the first things I noticed. When watching quality sources like blu rays the picture looks fantastic and I don't find it to be soft. Bad sources which have a lot of compression don't look so good, with a softer picture being one one of the downsides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3Orion View Post

When I read your post above in which you quoted someone else I saw 65" and thought yours was 65".

I don't recall anyone else making the comment that the 55ST50 isn't as sharp as the 50ST50. I'm curious about this. I wonder if the two displays in store had identical settings.

As far as cinema like, I take it to mean that the picture is softer and doesn't have any artificial edge enhancement aka sharpness.

I will say that the dish onscreen menu seems a little out of focus (softer) on my 55ST50 compared to both a 42" and 50" Panasonic plasma in the house. It was one of the first things I noticed. When watching quality sources like blu rays the picture looks fantastic and I don't find it to be soft. Bad sources which have a lot of compression don't look so good, with a softer picture being one one of the downsides.

Man that is funny, because my Comcast menu and the the sets own menus were the first things I saw that concerned me. I don't like over sharp to the point of jaggies but who wants a new state of the art tv with a soft picture for any reason, when my bedroom low budget insignia can produce a sharp menu. And as you stated good sources are pretty incredible. The IMAX skyline shots in the dark knight rises would make ppl stop and look. So like I said now I know this is not a defect and ill have to make a decision. Thanks a lot
Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Dang.. just realized I have no Blueray player on my PC to use the WOW calibration disc and using my Ps3 to calibrate would be useless because Ps3 changes your colors..
Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 147
A properly setup PS3 will not change anything.
sheshechic likes this.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

A properly setup PS3 will not change anything.
Whats up rahzel. Good to hear from you. smile.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdsnapBryan View Post

Dang.. just realized I have no Blueray player on my PC to use the WOW calibration disc and using my Ps3 to calibrate would be useless because Ps3 changes your colors..

Not according to this (The tiny bit of deviations in the red/yellow side do to the slight imperfections of the TV and the TV not having a CMS):

Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hey. I took a quick glance and can't find the rec'd settings for ST50. I have a friend I convinced to purchase one and I would like to get the set looking as good as possible w/o calibration.

Can anyone point me in right direction.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
They can be found on the Hi Def Junkies forum.

I have an unrelated question:

What kind of digital sound can the TV output from its streaming apps? Specifically, I'd like to know about the biggies like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon. I'm getting a 50 inch ST50 this weekend and I'm wondering what it will be able to send via its optical output from those apps. I have a Dolby Digital/DTS capable receiver, but I've been led to believe that Netflix carries Dolby Digital Plus, which I wouldn't be able to decode. Does the TV do any kind of decoding, or do Panasonics even allow multichannel digital audio from their apps?

Thanks for your time and attention.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Todd View Post

What kind of digital sound can the TV output from its streaming apps? Specifically, I'd like to know about the biggies like Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon. I'm getting a 50 inch ST50 this weekend and I'm wondering what it will be able to send via its optical output from those apps. I have a Dolby Digital/DTS capable receiver, but I've been led to believe that Netflix carries Dolby Digital Plus, which I wouldn't be able to decode. Does the TV do any kind of decoding, or do Panasonics even allow multichannel digital audio from their apps?

Optical does not carry DD+. You will get DD 5.1 when available.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Optical does not carry DD+. You will get DD 5.1 when available.
Ah yes, I remember that now, thanks. I also now see that the TV can do an audio return channel over HDMI. Can that carry multichannel digial audio such as DD 5.1 or beyond?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ah yes, I remember that now, thanks. I also now see that the TV can do an audio return channel over HDMI. Can that carry multichannel digial audio such as DD 5.1 or beyond?
I believe it can but you wont ever get it. Nothing the tv outputs will be better than DD 5.1. Thats why I think ARC is nothing more than a gimmick. It saves you from running the optical cable but that is the only value I see in it.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Whats up rahzel. Good to hear from you. smile.gif
Not much... still check these boards. smile.gif
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Right, and if that news gets you down stream from a player that is capable. You have to turn one more device on to stream, but you solve the sound issue.
Quote:

thank you

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
Old 03-08-2013, 02:03 PM

Liked: 10
as promissed, heres my custom settings just set up an hr ago by geek squad.

he said the cnet settings i was using wasnt too far off. her went into the service menu as well.

Cinema
contrast +90
brightness +51
color +45
tint 0
sharpness +24
color temp warm2
color mgmt off
cats off
video nr off
pro settings greyed out

scfreen format FULL
HD size size2

block nr off
mosquito nr off
motion smoother off
black level light

what a world of difference it makes getting the calibration done. excellent imo!!!!!!!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 543
I don't understand why Best Buy insists on using the Service Menu when all the settings anyone needs are right there in custom mode. Can you post your calibration charts ?

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I don't understand why Best Buy insists on using the Service Menu when all the settings anyone needs are right there in custom mode. Can you post your calibration charts ?
Probably because all the settings you need are not in the Custom mode. smile.gif Every good calibrator will access the service menu.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry but that snt correct service menu changes impact cuts and drives they are in hex they do impact on a color temp basis where as custom is only applicable to that mode only. Dnice for example doesnt use the service menu at all

Yes if you want to cal cinema or a thx mode it is necessary but almost all the cals on pannys use custom mode

Darbee DVP5000
Old 03-08-2013, 07:00 PM

Liked: 12
Can game mode gamma be adjusted in the service menu? Actually, does anyone have a complete list of what can be tweaked for game mode in the service menu? I'm really sensitive to input lag and custom just feels a lot heavier than game mode when playing the new Tomb Raider. Regardless of what I do though, there's a green push and gamma is drastically different than my 2.4 custom setting.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry but that snt correct service menu changes impact cuts and drives they are in hex they do impact on a color temp basis where as custom is only applicable to that mode only. Dnice for example doesnt use the service menu at all

Yes if you want to cal cinema or a thx mode it is necessary but almost all the cals on pannys use custom mode
I stand corrected. I have heard many people say that the tech accessed the service menu during calibration but I did not know that it wasnt always necessary.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

In the old days yes but with more user controls no benefits the consumer for sure :-)

Darbee DVP5000
Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
Quote:

Really..? confused.gif

I don't think I would ever pay for that, I thought there was a lot more involved. eek.gif
Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Quote:

Really..? confused.gif

I don't think I would ever pay for that, I thought there was a lot more involved. eek.gif
Your loss. wink.gif
Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Your loss. wink.gif

I think that's a matter of interpretation. No loss to me. smile.gif

I was just surprised, I assumed it was more involved. Not that the calibrator doesn't go through a lot of work.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpectre88 View Post

Really..? confused.gif

A true pro calibration is more involved and can take upwards of 4 hours, what best buy offers is time compressed and not always good unfortunately. Just so I don't misrepresent anything the cuts and drives I mentioned are only part of gray scale calibration. There are lots of other pieces to a good cal, for example gamma, maximizing contrast ratio, color calibration etc

Darbee DVP5000
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

A true pro calibration is more involved and can take upwards of 4 hours, what best buy offers is time compressed and not always good unfortunately. Just so I don't misrepresent anything the cuts and drives I mentioned are only part of gray scale calibration. There are lots of other pieces to a good cal, for example gamma, maximizing contrast ratio, color calibration etc

I was under the impression that even in the ST50 service menu there was not other calibrations available outside of a two point greyscale (i.e. no CMS, no 10 point gamma, etc.).

Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Of course, and I remember reading that BB only allows for a limited time for any given calibration. I was also aware a good calibration took a few hours, I know they provide a full service for the money. I just thought they made changes in the service menu that you wouldn't be able to replicate in the user menu (for custom at least). You're saying that all of those elements can be done in just the user menu though, correct?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

There are no additional controls in the service menu that are already available in the user menu (ST50). That's not to say that the ST50 doesn't benefit from a calibration, or that anyone can calibrate their ST50... you still need a measuring device to tell you what changes need to be made to make the picture accurate.

Yes the ST50 is a pretty straight forward calibration. Many higher-end models have 10pt or 20pt white balance/gamma controls, which takes A LOT longer to do compared to a 2pt system. Some sets also have a color management system to dial in the color gamut. Some sets need to be calibrated in the service menu. So all in all, there is a lot more to calibration, depending on the available controls.

I'm also curious why best buy calibrates cinema mode... there's no gamma control and you need to access the service menu. I know some experienced calibrators calibrate in the service menu anyway, so that the customer doesn't mess with the settings... maybe GS calibrates cinema for the same reason.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahzel View Post

Yes the ST50 is a pretty straight forward calibration. Many higher-end models have 10pt or 20pt white balance/gamma controls, which takes A LOT longer to do compared to a 2pt system. Some sets also have a color management system to dial in the color gamut. Some sets need to be calibrated in the service menu. So all in all, there is a lot more to calibration, depending on the available controls.

Very good point. Higher end models are much better candidates.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonRR View Post

he said the cnet settings i was using wasnt too far off. her went into the service menu as well.

Cinema
contrast +90
brightness +51
color +45
tint 0
sharpness +24
color temp warm2
color mgmt off
cats off
video nr off
pro settings greyed out

scfreen format FULL
HD size size2

block nr off
mosquito nr off
motion smoother off
black level light

what a world of difference it makes getting the calibration done. excellent imo!!!!!!!
My settings are very similar to yours. My tv was also calibrated in cinema mode and the grayscale was done in the service menu. Though my calibration was done by one of the calibrators on here not Best Buy.

I came...I saw...I bought an HDTV
PSN ID: dlawso235

Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonRR View Post

Cinema
contrast +90
brightness +51
color +45
tint 0
sharpness +24
color temp warm2
color mgmt off
cats off
video nr off
pro settings greyed out

scfreen format FULL
HD size size2

block nr off
mosquito nr off
motion smoother off
black level light

Can you list what service menu changes were made?

Did he provide you with calibration charts that you could post?

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv