Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 316 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9451 of 10016 Old 05-06-2013, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have watched a dozen 3d movies streamed from my computer to the ST55 in the past. I am now trying to rewatch some of them, but when switching from the letterboxed 2d sbs picture to 3d the letterboxed aspect ratio is lost. I know there must be a simple fix for this, but so far it has alluded me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9452 of 10016 Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post

It's been well over a month since I first called Panasonic about line bleed issues with this TV, and most people I talk to on their end are clueless as to the problem. The repair center understands.

I know this is a native issue to plasmas, but I can't stress how awful the issue is on my ST50. Watching Wrestlemania with friends, everyone spotted it, with the ring ropes bleeding right through the wrestlers. Bringing up the TV menu reveals it, and making menu selections in video games? Nothing but streaks. Movies are awful too, with lines streaking across faces when the conditions are right.

At this point, parts and the panel itself have been replaced, and now Panasonic is going to replace the entire TV. Why do I have a feeling that won't work?

Update: Panasonic is sending me a brand new ST60 as a replacement. I suppose I can't really argue with that solution after two months of back-and-forth with them.
post #9453 of 10016 Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:

Quote:

It's been well over a month since I first called Panasonic about line bleed issues with this TV, and most people I talk to on their end are clueless as to the problem. The repair center understands.

I know this is a native issue to plasmas, but I can't stress how awful the issue is on my ST50. Watching Wrestlemania with friends, everyone spotted it, with the ring ropes bleeding right through the wrestlers. Bringing up the TV menu reveals it, and making menu selections in video games? Nothing but streaks. Movies are awful too, with lines streaking across faces when the conditions are right.

At this point, parts and the panel itself have been replaced, and now Panasonic is going to replace the entire TV. Why do I have a feeling that won't work?

Update: Panasonic is sending me a brand new ST60 as a replacement. I suppose I can't really argue with that solution after two months of back-and-forth with them.
Sure you can. This is AVS after all. wink.gif
post #9454 of 10016 Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM

While watching movies when the scene turns total dark the panel blinks for a second (like it turns off) and then once again when it fades back.

I know that the neo plasma means the individual cells should turn off, but is this normal to be this visible / annoying ?

Note : I only saw this when the scene turns total black, like the beginning or ending the movie, but for example in scifi movies the space looks more brighter black, not total black.
post #9455 of 10016 Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Nope. Not normal. What movie? What settings are you using? What is the source (cable box, bluray player)? Did the TV just start doing this? How long have you had it?

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #9456 of 10016 Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 AM

Only noticed it at dynamic mode (at cinema or normal mode the black is more like lcd black).

Avatar (Right after 20 Century Fox logo ends and when the movie starts you have multiple scenes in the first 2-3min when the scene fades to black )

LOTR Return of the King (in the beginning before and after the title "The Return of the King" is displayed)

for all modes
contrast 50 (max 60 - EU model)
color 40 (max 60)
brightness 0
vivid color ON
Eco mode OFF

The TV is 1 month old, last week I had time to calibrate it so now Im started to watch
movies.

HDMI Pioneer 150 Bluray player
USB HDD
post #9457 of 10016 Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I'm not familiar with the Euro settings, so I am not sure if they are related to what you are seeing.

*If* you have a US model, I'd say never use dynamic, use the custom settings which have been calibrated. And I'd say your comment about LCD blacks is strange,since LCC blacks are comparatively poor in general so that should not be what you are seeing on a calibrated set.

Sorry I cannot be of more assistance. It might be worth a warranty call to Panasonic.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #9458 of 10016 Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM

Liked: 11
seems like there's 3 people so far in this thread including myself where the panel turns off for some reason. Is there some type of "eco" or auto turn off setting in the menu's that we may be missing?
post #9459 of 10016 Old 05-08-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by evident View Post

seems like there's 3 people so far in this thread including myself where the panel turns off for some reason. Is there some type of "eco" or auto turn off setting in the menu's that we may be missing?
Menu > Setup > ECO/energy saving

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #9460 of 10016 Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by evident View Post

there are settings for auto power off based on time without any remote control activity and also based on no signal input.
nathan_h likes this.
post #9461 of 10016 Old 05-22-2013, 12:56 AM

Hey guys, can you see the TV in 100% dark room if a black BG picture is displayed or there is a little backlight ?
post #9462 of 10016 Old 05-22-2013, 01:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by covix View Post

Hey guys, can you see the TV in 100% dark room if a black BG picture is displayed or there is a little backlight ?
Plasma displays are always emitting light when they are turned on. A correctly done back light behind a plasma can give it the appearance of deeper blacks.
post #9463 of 10016 Old 05-22-2013, 03:37 AM

Hi all, I have just found this forum. Today I bought a TH-P50ST50Z after owning LCD and LED panels and thought I would look up to see what people are saying about it. I know it's old now, it was heavily reduced so I bought it with a DMR-PWT530 HDD recorder and thougth I might have a go at calibrating it.

Interesting reading the comments from you all.
post #9464 of 10016 Old 05-23-2013, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

Quote:

How bad is 'too bad' for line bleed??

I have noticed recently that when there are horizontal bands of colour behind someone's head, for example, their head changes colour above and below the bands - so if they are interviewed against a bright sky with dark horizon, the line will continue the horizon across their face but their face will be darker above the line and brighter below, like the panel only has so much brightness to share across those rows and the sky is taking most of it, reducing the brightness of the face.

I'm not sure if it's always been there and I've only just noticed it, or if it has changed recently.

I also always get lines across the wider screen when accessing the menus, but I figured that was normal.

Either way, is there some sort of 'limit' for it??

I am no good at arguing my point with tech centres, and it is a known issue with plasmas, so I wouldn't be confident! frown.gif lol
post #9465 of 10016 Old 05-29-2013, 06:00 AM

Hey I got a question regarding the settings that D-Nice gives on his other website. It says to set 3:2 PullDown to Auto but the option for that is greyed out and I cannot change it to Auto. I did set everything else to his recommended settings except the 3:2 Pulldown. It won't let me change it. Is there a reason why?
post #9466 of 10016 Old 05-29-2013, 06:01 AM

Hey I got a question regarding the settings that D-Nice gives on his other website. It says to set 3:2 PullDown to Auto but the option for that is greyed out and I cannot change it to Auto. I did set everything else to his recommended settings except the 3:2 Pulldown. It won't let me change it. Is there a reason why?
post #9467 of 10016 Old 05-29-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post

That setting only becomes active on 1080i content

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #9468 of 10016 Old 05-30-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheYC View Post

I've been thinking about getting one for a while now... Although I've read glaring reviews of what it can do for your PQ, I've also seen a fair amount of complaints about software/hardware issues and other finicky things with it.

I'm actually using one (Darblet) on a 65ST50, and I have nothing but praise for what it does to the picture. Maybe not as dramatic as what it can do for a projector, but IMO it does sharpen the picture nicely without introducing artifacts.
post #9469 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post

I'm actually using one (Darblet) on a 65ST50, and I have nothing but praise for what it does to the picture. Maybe not as dramatic as what it can do for a projector, but IMO it does sharpen the picture nicely without introducing artifacts.

Yeah I'll probably definitely get one for my projector when I get one in a few months.

I used to live in Wilmington, I miss it.

post #9470 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 AM

Can anyone assist me in getting netflix working again? I spoke with a netflix rep and they told me to do this and that and I did it all but netflix still does not work. They said it's most likely an issue with the tv or firmware. I have the latest update but still cannot get netflix to work. It worked before just fine then all of a sudden it stopped working.

When I click on netflix, it loads the screen and the loading bar is working but then it freezes and nothing happens. The screen blinks black just a second before it freezes.
post #9471 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds like its most likely an issue with the tv or firmware. Sorry. But true. Do all the other apps work ok? Most likely firmware. Try removing the tv from your acct via pc and then putting it back,on.

post #9472 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Sounds like its most likely an issue with the tv or firmware. Sorry. But true. Do all the other apps work ok? Most likely firmware. Try removing the tv from your acct via pc and then putting it back,on.

Everything else works. What do you mean by removing tv from acct via pc?
post #9473 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Everything else works. What do you mean by removing tv from acct via pc?
Access your acct on your computer and go to the devices used by your acct. Remove the tv from your acct. Then try Netflix on the tv again.

post #9474 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:

Access your acct on your computer and go to the devices used by your acct. Remove the tv from your acct. Then try Netflix on the tv again.
Ok went into netflix settings and disconnected from all devices. Started up tv and netflix....same problem. Loads loading bar.....screen flashes black for a second...then loading bar pauses and nothing happens.
post #9475 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok went into netflix settings and disconnected from all devices. Started up tv and netflix....same problem. Loads loading bar.....screen flashes black for a second...then loading bar pauses and nothing happens.
Did you tell Pan to come out and look at it?

post #9476 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Did you tell Pan to come out and look at it?

It's no longer under warranty.
post #9477 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wow! That sucks. Netflix work on everything else? All the other apps on the tv work?

post #9478 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I dont know what else to say. Hope that the next firmware update fixes it. But there may not be another one. The ST is getting old as far as Pan is concerned.
Buy a cheap wifi blu ray player with apps.

post #9479 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM

I have the tc p50st50 and am experiencing the power off, click, power on issue as well. The red light at the bottom never turns off. It's more of annoyance than anything, but considering the set is only a couple months old (I got it when Sears had its sale in March, I believe?), I will be contacting Panasonic about this. It has happened 2 or 3 times now. Sometimes I am watching tv (Time Warner cable box) and one time I was playing the xbox. At the time, I just chalked it up to hdmi handshake issue but after seeing previous comments on this thread, it may be something more. Anyway, like I said, Panasonic will be getting a call from me and I'll try to update this thread on what I find out.
post #9480 of 10016 Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsooky View Post

I have the tc p50st50 and am experiencing the power off, click, power on issue as well. The red light at the bottom never turns off. It's more of annoyance than anything, but considering the set is only a couple months old (I got it when Sears had its sale in March, I believe?), I will be contacting Panasonic about this. It has happened 2 or 3 times now. Sometimes I am watching tv (Time Warner cable box) and one time I was playing the xbox. At the time, I just chalked it up to hdmi handshake issue but after seeing previous comments on this thread, it may be something more. Anyway, like I said, Panasonic will be getting a call from me and I'll try to update this thread on what I find out.
I believe thats generally a power board issue. Should be an easy fix for Panasonic.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page