Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 333 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9961 of 9989 Old 04-04-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post

Didn't realize there was a dedicated st50 thread. any suggestions?

Never owned a plasma......

Bought this tv used - watched it for a couple of days and no IR. I bought a stand for it and after installing it, I'm watching it today and I see ghost like images on the left side (like bars going down the left side of the tv) along with an espn logo on the right. No way I missed this during my previous two days but I never watched ESPN when I owned the tv. Could IR from previous times pop up again? I was thinking could I have caused it by screwing in the screws to tight to the base to the back of the tv or when I laid the plasm down on it's front glass (on padding) for 2 min before putting it on the base itself? I wouldn't think so but wanted your feedback.

Anyhow - what is the best way to get rid of this IR? I am running the IR bar in the option menu but I still see it. How long will it take to go away or will it not? Also - I hear some high pitch buzzing in the top left and right corners although can't hear it unless I go behind the tv and turn the volume off. Normal?
First of all, ignore your current theories about what's going on. If there is IR from a channel you haven't watched then you missed it during your examination.

Here is some information about IR that may help you.

Two Types of IR - Part I

Two Types of IR - Part II

Avoid and Remove IR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 9989 Old 04-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have good settings for game mode picture?

EDIT - seems like some good talk a few pages back. looking into it now. thanks
post #9963 of 9989 Old 04-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by delt31 View Post

Anyone have good settings for game mode picture?

EDIT - seems like some good talk a few pages back. looking into it now. thanks

Consider yourself very lucky. I got no help when asking. Months and months went by with nobody ever really answering me. I finally figured out the best settings myself. TV has been a pain in the ass, lol.
post #9964 of 9989 Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

HDMI issue - to summarize, one of the hdmi's on my st50 (hdmi 2) stopped working all of a sudden. This happened when I plugged in a chromecast in the hdmi. I've done a lot of tests and it's def the port. I checked to make sure it was turned on and it was. I reset the tv, i unplugged and plugged in. No luck. The other two work fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this or is it toast? I looked at the hdmi port and it seems ok although the fit doesn't seem as good as when I plug the cord into the other ones. That;s the only difference I see.
post #9965 of 9989 Old 04-10-2014, 03:30 PM

Liked: 10
I'm close to buyin this tv but I need to know if there's any judder (blur when panning the camera) in games?. HDTVtest says this tv has excellent motion handling but does that mean no judder? My current 50hz tv has terrible motion blur so I really need to know how plasmas deal with this? cool.gif.
post #9966 of 9989 Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 AM

I bought this tv for gaming and have to say its the best tv ive ever had for gaming no blur or input lag and i havent had any issues with burn in or image retention i just made sure to take it easy the first few weeks and ran the slides when i wasnt home. hope this helps
Cuda1169 likes this.
post #9967 of 9989 Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead View Post

Consider yourself very lucky. I got no help when asking. Months and months went by with nobody ever really answering me. I finally figured out the best settings myself. TV has been a pain in the ass, lol.

It depends on many factors, your specific panel, your viewing environment etc. Giving someone game settings that work in my environment, where I can completely control the amount of light, may not work for someone else. I use my professionally calibrated settings and by pass the "Game Mode" completely as I also watch a lot of Netflix, Bluray and Xbox rentals through my XBONE. Prior to that I was running David Katzmaier's CNET settings and even then my RGB was way off precalibration. This is not to say that his settings were bad but that on my panel and in my viewing environment they were not ideal.

I recommend getting a DVD or BD and doing a self calibration.
post #9968 of 9989 Old 04-27-2014, 03:21 AM

OK, dont know if this problem has been asked about.

I have a TC-p60ST50. It is causing handshake issues through my whole chain.

I have all my devices running into hdmi on my yamaha rx-a3020 and coming out hdmi 1 to tv and out hdmi 2 to projector.

The ps4 and cable box video and auio keeps cutting out. Driving me crazy. I was thinking it was the receiver and the hdcp was a problem. NOPE!. I turned off the tv and turned on the projector to see if these two devices would flow through properly that way and YEP they worked like they are supposed to. So I def know that the TV is causing a handshake issue. Any one know how to fix this? Does Panasonic TV's have firmware updates? And please dont talk to me about cables, cause i def know that is not the problem.

Thanks.

post #9969 of 9989 Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 AM

Well i figured out the issue, and this also might be a fix for others that have a receiver with two outs. Iv been reading people with onkyo and sonys aving these issues.  Well on a hunch i just unplugged the out to my projector while leaving the out to the plasma in place. Fixed everything. Now after that i placed hdmi out 2 back in and the problem resumed. So that was def the issue. So as a work around I have left both outs plugged in but in the receivers options i have only enabled out 1 until i want to use my projector then i will turn on out 2.. This is not how these receivers are supposed to work but its a fix.

post #9970 of 9989 Old 04-28-2014, 06:03 AM

Liked: 18
Image Retention questions - So I've been playing a lot of video games lately. Well more like 10-15 hrs per week. And 90% of that time has been NBA2k 14 on my PS4. This game keeps the running score of the basketball game on the lower right corner with a 2K logo as well. Long story short I have IR and I am not sure if at this point it's Burn-In.

I've gotten into the habit of running the anti IR white bar in the setup menu after I play. In fact, since I play before heading to bed, I will put on the sleep timer while the white bar scrolls for at least 30min or an hour. This has not really helped. Then I tried the pixel flipper from Disney's WOW calibration BluRay. I did the same thing, ran it for an hour after I played. I've only done the flipper once.

But my question is: Is it safe to say that even if I run all these anti IR programs, if I continue to play the game (NBA2K), will the IR continue to be present. See I've read that IR sometimes takes a while to disappear (weeks/months), but what if I wanto to continue palying the IR causing game?? Will the same IR continue to appear even if I successfully got rid of it the first time? Or if I get rid of the score box IR will it "come back" if I continue to play NBA2k?....basically I'm wondering should I just give up with anti IR programs/mechanics if I am planning to continue playing this game?

I don't see stopping game play as an option. This is a great stress release for me and I enjoy it so much I am willing to deal with the IR....BUT I rather not. The IR is visible during regular programing and even the "untrained" eye can see it...i.e. wife

PS: I've already tried changing the aspect ratio of the screen while I play so that I can "move around" the score box. Went from full to zoom...but it is tough playing a sports game without knowing the score. I've also turned the contrat down a bit...

What would you guys do??

Panasonic TC-P55ST50
Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Sony HT-CT100
Sony PS4
Sony PS3 Slim
PSN: Rican21
post #9971 of 9989 Old 04-28-2014, 05:43 PM

Hi all,

Sorry to derail the discussion going on, but I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can assist with.  I'm having issues getting my TC-P55ST50 to turn on/stay on and while the power light is blinking when attempting to turn it on, the issue is slightly different than the typical power light blinking that most people have reported.

When plugging in the TV (it's been unplugged since the issue started), I get the typical power "click" then, 10 seconds in, the power light begins blinking in a strobe light type fashion (very quick, not any distinct, countable blinks) before displaying a solid power light for about 1-2 seconds.  At this point, the TV goes back off with the same familiar power click.  The TV will continue this pattern of trying to turn on then back off without user interaction, which is why I have it unplugged so that it's not constantly doing that.

Also, when I plug it back in, I will occasionally see the "HDMI 1" label in the upper left of the screen for a brief second before the TV clicks off and starts the cycle. This part isn't consistently repeatable, though.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

post #9972 of 9989 Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJLeach View Post

Hi all,

Sorry to derail the discussion going on, but I have a question that I'm hoping someone here can assist with.  I'm having issues getting my TC-P55ST50 to turn on/stay on and while the power light is blinking when attempting to turn it on, the issue is slightly different than the typical power light blinking that most people have reported.

When plugging in the TV (it's been unplugged since the issue started), I get the typical power "click" then, 10 seconds in, the power light begins blinking in a strobe light type fashion (very quick, not any distinct, countable blinks) before displaying a solid power light for about 1-2 seconds.  At this point, the TV goes back off with the same familiar power click.  The TV will continue this pattern of trying to turn on then back off without user interaction, which is why I have it unplugged so that it's not constantly doing that.

Also, when I plug it back in, I will occasionally see the "HDMI 1" label in the upper left of the screen for a brief second before the TV clicks off and starts the cycle. This part isn't consistently repeatable, though.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
It sounds like you have a defective board. It might be the power supply board. Contact an authorized Panasonic service center.
post #9973 of 9989 Old 05-27-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey guys, just had a weird new problem start this evening. All my video apps like Netflix, amazon, YouTube, Hulu are suddenly in black and white. Was fine yesterday. Nobody changed any setting. Regular tv is fine but when you hit the "internet" button on the remote and the dashboard comes up, whatever input you are on which is now displayed in the center square is also now in black and white. Anyone ever seen this? Thanks. [IMG]
post #9974 of 9989 Old 05-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 50
That is very strange! I don't use these features on my televisions, but it will check it out. I built an htpc about 6 months ago and never looked back. Selfishly, I wish the television companies would make a cheaper version of the higher end panels that would just be a giant monitor...no speakers, no apps, no wifi, etc. I have not seen these "Smart" televisions work very well, but I only have experience with Panasonic and Samsung plasmas.
post #9975 of 9989 Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks! I wound up doing a factory reset and it's back to normal now. Was very strange though. And yes, all the apps just complicate things but it's easy for the family to navigate.
smile.gif
post #9976 of 9989 Old 05-29-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_kid View Post

If the component input works, then I could plug the receiver into that and the TIVO and Blue Ray into the Receiver. With that setup, at least I would not have to move the component wires back and forth between the TIVO and Blue Ray going into the TV.

I tried the factory reset using the remote with no luck. Is there another way?

Do you have a site where I can look for the HDMI board?

hello, I am having the same problem where my TV stopped recognizing components connected to the hdmi inputs. I cannot figure out what to do...any advice would be much appreciated. 

more detailed explanation: TV was working fine, left on holiday, when we returned the TV was no longer recognizing hdmi inputs. Currently get a "No Signal..." message for all 3 hdmi inputs. Have tried different components and different hdmi cables and verified that they do work on another TV. Everything else on the TV seems to be working fine.

many many thanks

post #9977 of 9989 Old 05-29-2014, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Do you get any sound, etc? It sound like a bad "A" board, which is the main board. My television exhibited similar behavior after a very close lightening strike hit near my house. Fried a few things. Don't know if that caused your problem, but HDMI boards are very fragile and finicky in my experience. Probably need to have a tech out to look at it and tell you what the problem is rather than rack your brain.
post #9978 of 9989 Old 05-30-2014, 05:44 AM

yep, sound still works. will try to get a tech to look at it. thanks for your advice

post #9979 of 9989 Old 06-02-2014, 03:10 AM

anyone got some quick settings that are better than the default settings? I have a a fair bit of fuzzyness when i watch blurays for example...

Panasonic TH-P50ST50A Plasma TV

Oppo BDP-105D Bluray Player

Cambridge Audio 851A  Stereo Amplifier

Bowers & Wilkins DM570 Speakers

post #9980 of 9989 Old 06-06-2014, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started to get some pretty loud buzzing when watching white or whitish pictures recently. This only started in the last month or so but the buzz is very loud (very noticeable from 15 feet away) during scenes with a white or very light picture on the screen. What could have caused the change in behavior recently. I have a second year warranty from my credit card that will expire in about 1 week. Would anyone here recommend I try to get this thing fixed?
post #9981 of 9989 Old 06-06-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post

I started to get some pretty loud buzzing when watching white or whitish pictures recently. This only started in the last month or so but the buzz is very loud (very noticeable from 15 feet away) during scenes with a white or very light picture on the screen. What could have caused the change in behavior recently. I have a second year warranty from my credit card that will expire in about 1 week. Would anyone here recommend I try to get this thing fixed?
Of course -- starting a month ago.

One possibility is a failing power supply board.
post #9982 of 9989 Old 06-08-2014, 04:01 PM

Hi, do any of you fine gentleman know anything for wii u settings? I've been using the graphics mode setting a few pages up but they don't seem right on wii u. On ps4 and the bone they are good though. Anything. For wii u
post #9983 of 9989 Old 06-08-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post

On my ST there were loose board mounti ng screws. Easy job removing the back panel and cheking them.
post #9984 of 9989 Old 06-23-2014, 06:11 PM

Just wanted to post an update that my P55ST50 just started to turn itself off randomly after an hour or so of use. I verified that all of my sleep timers are disabled and my "eco" settings are all disabled so that the TV wont shut off after 3 hours nor will it shut off after 10 minutes of inactivity. Is there another setting I need to check? Should I call up panasonic and have them come out? My TV is probably out of warranty, it was purchased in late 2012.
post #9985 of 9989 Old 06-23-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcat View Post
anyone got some quick settings that are better than the default settings? I have a a fair bit of fuzzyness when i watch blurays for example...
There are customs setting for the ST50 on here, just search. Fuzzy ness is most likely the bluray movie itself, not the tv. Movie directors tend to use a grainy effect on some movies.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #9986 of 9989 Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
[QUOTE=Matcat;24783930]anyone got some quick settings that are better than the default settings? I have a a fair bit of fuzzyness when i watch blurays for example...[/QUOTE
Here ya go. I've used these from day one with tiny tweaks to fit my needs, which wasn't a lot. They are a good place to start.
North American TC-PxxST50 Reference Settings
Picture
Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 76
Brightness: 56
Color: 43
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
Photo Enhancement: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings
Colorspace: Normal

W/B High R: -7
W/B High G: 0
W/B High B: -2
W/B Low R: +12
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: +3

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.6 (50/55" models) 2.4 (60/65" models)
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

HDMI Settings
***Leave all settings in this menu at their default***

Advance Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 PullDown: Auto

Calibration Report:

post #9987 of 9989 Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
This is my issue exactly right now, my TV is about 1 year old. Luckily I bought a 5 year extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

On my ST there were loose board mounti ng screws. Easy job removing the back panel and cheking them.
The repair guy called yesterday and did exactly this, it's made no difference.

If anything it's a little worse...
post #9988 of 9989 Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 AM

Can someone tell me if a Pioneer Kuro 5020FD with around 4,000 hours for $700 would be a pretty decent upgrade from the ST50?
post #9989 of 9989 Old Today, 06:33 AM

Liked: 0
Hi,

I bought this tv a couple of months ago, and it worked fine. Recently, i connected my ps4 and pc through hdmi(1,2) to the tv and after few days of using it, all 3 hdmi ports, stopped working. No picture on hdmi 1,2,3 but it get's recognized by the PC.
Anyone else got this problem?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page