Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 335 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #10021 of 10079 Old 05-29-2015, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead View Post
There was a lightning storm last night and now all of my HDMI ports show no signal. Anyone have an idea as to what might need to be changed?
Sorry to hear that. Did you have the TV plugged into a surge protector?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10022 of 10079 Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter88 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Did you have the TV plugged into a surge protector?
Yes, which makes it even more annoying. Apparently if it's ever been tripped before, there's a chance the surge protector will no longer work. I was unaware of this. I'll be changing all of mine.
post #10023 of 10079 Old 06-13-2015, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anybody had this problem where the ST50 ( i have 50ST50) loses audio intermittently over the air broadcast.
This does not happen when I use HDMI port and the DishDVR.

post #10024 of 10079 Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
There was a lightning storm last night and now all of my HDMI ports show no signal. Anyone have an idea as to what might need to be changed?
I had the same thing happen to me for 8500 samsung plasma though not initiated by lightning.

Had to reset the TV and HDMI started working fine,
post #10025 of 10079 Old 06-14-2015, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
For 2011 Panasonics:

Blinks: 7 Blinks
Problem: Driver SOS 2, SU/SD Connector DET, SU/SD Scan and Logic IC
Check: SU-Board / SD-Board
What about 2012 plasmas? Any suggestions for 7 blinks ?
post #10026 of 10079 Old 07-01-2015, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
What did you do to resolve the HDMI issue?
Mine did the same in a lightning storm a few days ago.
post #10027 of 10079 Old 07-28-2015, 05:43 PM
ugk

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Question, is there anywhere to buy this TV new? or at least a good used one? It's by far my favorite TV I ever owned, and I don't think any new LED TV on the market can match it's picture quality. Someone broke into my apartment and actually stole my TV of all things, I need help getting another one, or at least a TV equal too or superior in PQ.
post #10028 of 10079 Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugk View Post
Question, is there anywhere to buy this TV new? or at least a good used one? It's by far my favorite TV I ever owned, and I don't think any new LED TV on the market can match it's picture quality. Someone broke into my apartment and actually stole my TV of all things, I need help getting another one, or at least a TV equal too or superior in PQ.
I have a 65ST50 that is perfect except for a lightning strike that made the HDMI inputs quit working. Fix is a new board for about 150.00 I have heard. Excellent PQ and in excellent condition other than HDMI. PM if you would like more info.
post #10029 of 10079 Old 08-31-2015, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Buzz

For anyone with a louder than normal buzzing set I can attest that tightening the screws on the boards worked for me. I ordered new screws expecting to not have the lock washers but was surprised when I opened up the back panel to find lock washers. Each screw with an arrow on the boards was about a quarter turn loose. All in all took about an hour.
Bruce2019 likes this.

PSN: amays32
post #10030 of 10079 Old 08-31-2015, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amays32 View Post
For anyone with a louder than normal buzzing set I can attest that tightening the screws on the boards worked for me. I ordered new screws expecting to not have the lock washers but was surprised when I opened up the back panel to find lock washers. Each screw with an arrow on the boards was about a quarter turn loose. All in all took about an hour.
Yep worked for me as well last month on my 50ST50.
I ordered a new set of screws with lock washers and replaced the ones holding the key boards down.
Buzzing had increased gradually over the past 3 years I've owned the set, its lower than it was when it was new even with a bright white scene now!
post #10031 of 10079 Old 09-07-2015, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Network question...

My Panny is network enabled, I've checked the setting MANY times, but won't be 'found' when I start the ap on my phone or iPad. Once the tv is turned on by another remote, all is well.

Normally I would suspect user error, but I don't know what else I'd 'use' to make it work....

Sorry if this isn't in the correct thread....
post #10032 of 10079 Old 09-21-2015, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Optical audio out question

I purchased a Fiio D3 DAC to take the audio from a Panasonic 55ST50 & run into an old NAD analog receiver. I knew from reading about the Fiio on Amazon that it needed to receive a pcm signal, but presumed, since the optical output on the ST50 is described as dolby digital/pcm, that it would be a simple matter to choose the setting in the menu. Not only can I not figure out how to do so, but I now can't find in the menu or manual where it says dolby digital/pcm (but I swear it did!). I can hear audio through the device via the receiver, but it's extremely noisy, basically unusable, & obviously incorrectly set. Any ideas? Was I wrong in thinking this DAC would work?

Thanks in advance.
post #10033 of 10079 Old 09-21-2015, 07:18 PM

Answering my own question...I was using a bad analog cable! The DAC now works as it should for FIOS & bluray connected in via hdmi, audio out via the optical. Cheap $30 solution (no affiliation):

http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Con...ywords=fiio+d3
post #10034 of 10079 Old 09-22-2015, 06:24 AM

Calibration

Another question I've been mulling over: is it worth getting this set professionally calibrated? I went with D-nice's settings from another forum, &, while i understand that's less than ideal 'cos every set is different, I've read elsewhere that this set doesn't have the degree of control & adjustment that the subsequent ST60 had, so wondering if it's really worth it ($400?). It looks good to me as is, but it would be nice to know it was set up to its full potential. (Sources are cheap Sony & Seiki (region free) bluray, WDTV live, & FIOS)

Thanks.
post #10035 of 10079 Old 09-27-2015, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I have the P60ST50 and have the exact same problem that it appears you had with yours. Lightening strike nearby knocked out all 3 of my HDMI inputs. Looks like the mainboard will need to be replaced on mine too. Is there any other fix that you have found? I talked to a tech who said that he can't find any of the boards available now with no ETA in sight if one were to be ordered. What did you end up deciding to do with your ST50?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your input!
post #10036 of 10079 Old 09-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 56
You can find the boards on eBay and also moduslink also sells them. It isn't too bad to replace if you are comfortable messing with tiny screws and a bunch of connector cables, take a few pics before you unhook everything. I did it after a close strike fried a bunch of stuff including my vt50 hdmi board. The st50 was in the basement and did not have any coax cable going to it or anything connected to it and had no damage for what it is worth.

Part of the reason I prefer going with a network streamed cable configuration now rather than direct cable boxes, though lightning is not as bad as it had been in the Spring here in Indiana.

Good luck! That is annoying.

BT1
post #10037 of 10079 Old 11-11-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
St50

Hello, I have a problem with my Panasonic P50ST50E and I couldn't find anyone with same problem on the internet.

The TV (I don't remember when exactly) stopped displaying black color properly.

It displays one pixel wide gark grey horizontal stripes, several pixels apart from each other scrolling on black background, instead of plain black.

This creates a dark grey color (similar to LCDs) from normal viewing distance.

The stripes appear in the black to ~ 5% grey areas.

It seems like it could be solved by some setting in menu, but I haven't found anything that affects it.

It does it in all inputs, even if all inputs are unplugged.

Anyone figure out what's going on here? Driving me crazy.
post #10038 of 10079 Old 11-12-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemrb View Post
Hello, I have a problem with my Panasonic P50ST50E and I couldn't find anyone with same problem on the internet.

It displays one pixel wide gark grey horizontal stripes, several pixels apart from each other scrolling on black background, instead of plain black.

It seems like it could be solved by some setting in menu, but I haven't found anything that affects it.

Mine does the same thing. I remember noticing one time when all the lights were out in my room and I went up close to the TV to turn it off. I think it's normal; you probably just never noticed it previously. I haven't yet found a setting to cure it.

My TV is also slightly brighter on the right side of the screen when displaying an all-black image -- I just noticed that one too. I guess it's a good thing that I don't spend much time watching all-black images.

I guess we'll have to live with these "faults" now since it's not like there are really any suitable repair options any more.
post #10039 of 10079 Old 11-13-2015, 09:03 AM

I've always had panasonic plasma tvs and I never had the scrolling grey lines on my 2009 model. I wonder if it has something to do with fixing the rising black levels that plagued previous generations. I'm just surprised i haven't heard more about the issue.
post #10040 of 10079 Old 11-16-2015, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

YES!!! It seems like you saw my post from 2013, it's really not easy to find someone with this problem. The TV is now out of warranty, so it's impossible to fix it.

I read on HDTVtest that all Panasonic plasmas do this, but it's always just barely visible, not affecting black levels.

Seems like we are both unlucky, haven't heard about anyone else yet. The perceived contrast is still very high, but black levels are the same as my c-PVA LCD. I might do a comparison picture side-by-side.
post #10041 of 10079 Old 11-18-2015, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:

This creates a dark grey color (similar to LCDs) from normal viewing distance.

The stripes appear in the black to ~ 5% grey areas.

My TC-P42UT50 has a similar issue with grey "LCD quality" blacks when viewed in a dark room. If you look closely it is possible to see the scrolling lines refresh the screen (which are normal AFAIK). Although all of Panasonic's 2012 UT-and-up plasmas are supposed to have roughly equivalent MLLs, my brother's TC-P55GT50 has much, much, darker blacks. Mine was a demo unit when I bought it, so I was never able to ascertain if the blacks were better when it was new.

As far as a fix goes, I have not been able to find one. There are no trimpots on the 2012s and it appears that the only possible method of adjustment is through some sort of service mode. However, no documentation seems to be available for making black level adjustments.
post #10042 of 10079 Old 12-01-2015, 03:59 PM

Thanks for your input. Also, anyone know what the post prep Dnice settings are for the 55 model? Using Cnet's recommended calibration settings right now and have heard Dnice's are the best. Can't seem to locate them though.
post #10043 of 10079 Old 12-01-2015, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Thanks for your input. Also, anyone know what the post prep Dnice settings are for the 55 model? Using Cnet's recommended calibration settings right now and have heard Dnice's are the best. Can't seem to locate them though.
His settings are at high def junkies. Look for post #3 . I hope this link works if not let me know.

h t t p://www.high def junkies .com/showthread.php?t=12986#.Vl5Gq789Z8E

Last edited by whipit; 12-03-2015 at 04:23 PM.
post #10044 of 10079 Old 12-03-2015, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
May sound weird but I bought this display for my living room and used Dnice's settings for it BEFORE calibration. PQ has been absolutely amazing since I bought it with no problems. Just didn't want to spend the money on a calibration and it's worked out just fine.

post #10045 of 10079 Old 12-03-2015, 01:52 PM

Can't seem to get the link to work. Can you post the settings on here?
post #10046 of 10079 Old 12-03-2015, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Here you go. These are his custom settings used BEFORE running the calibration slides. It's always looked great to me.
Picture
Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 76
Brightness: 56
Color: 43
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
Photo Enhancement: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings
Colorspace: Normal

W/B High R: -7
W/B High G: 0
W/B High B: -2
W/B Low R: +12
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: +3

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.6
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

HDMI Settings
***Leave all settings in this menu at their default***

Advance Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 PullDown: Auto

post #10047 of 10079 Old 12-04-2015, 09:54 AM

Thank you so much. I used those settings and had red dots speckled throughout the screen when displaying a black background. Set the brightness to 55, and just a red line down the left side. At 54, the red goes away. Weird.
post #10048 of 10079 Old 12-20-2015, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone still have the settings for a 65st50?

I originally ran DNice's but have been inching the gamma smaller and smaller, I'm at 2.2 now, from 2.6.

Also, I'm getting some white clipping, and color space anomalies.

#fingerscrossed

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition mediocre minds..." A. Einstein
post #10049 of 10079 Old 12-21-2015, 04:36 AM

My P50ST50's internet features are fubar, especially the netflix application. Sometimes it just freezes and won't open the app and all I can do is reset all settings to factory and go through setup all over again. It's annoying so I just use my PS4's internet apps now.
post #10050 of 10079 Old 12-21-2015, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
These are DNice's POST PREP settings.

North American TC-PxxST50 Reference Settings

*****Note: These settings are designed exclusively to be used on North American TC-PxxST50 displays after completing the Panel Prep procedure listed in post #1 . Please do not use these settings unless you have follow post #1 100%*****

Picture
Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 76
Brightness: 56
Color: 43
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
Photo Enhancement: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings
Colorspace: Normal

W/B High R: -7
W/B High G: 0
W/B High B: -2
W/B Low R: +12
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: +3

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.6 (50/55" models) 2.4 (60/65" models)
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

HDMI Settings
***Leave all settings in this menu at their default***

Advance Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 PullDown: Auto

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition mediocre minds..." A. Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page