Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 336 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #10051 of 10067 Old 12-21-2015, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My P50ST50's internet features are fubar, especially the netflix application. Sometimes it just freezes and won't open the app and all I can do is reset all settings to factory and go through setup all over again. It's annoying so I just use my PS4's internet apps now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10052 of 10067 Old 12-21-2015, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemrb View Post
Thanks for your input. Also, anyone know what the post prep Dnice settings are for the 55 model? Using Cnet's recommended calibration settings right now and have heard Dnice's are the best. Can't seem to locate them though.
These are DNice's POST PREP settings.

North American TC-PxxST50 Reference Settings

*****Note: These settings are designed exclusively to be used on North American TC-PxxST50 displays after completing the Panel Prep procedure listed in post #1 . Please do not use these settings unless you have follow post #1 100%*****

Picture
Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 76
Brightness: 56
Color: 43
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Warm2
Photo Enhancement: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings
Colorspace: Normal

W/B High R: -7
W/B High G: 0
W/B High B: -2
W/B Low R: +12
W/B Low G: 0
W/B Low B: +3

Black Extension: 0
Gamma Adjustment: 2.6 (50/55" models) 2.4 (60/65" models)
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

HDMI Settings
***Leave all settings in this menu at their default***

Advance Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 PullDown: Auto

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition mediocre minds..." A. Einstein
post #10053 of 10067 Old 12-21-2015, 06:09 AM

These are DNice's settings BEFORE ANY PREP, straight outta the box.

North American TC-PxxST50 Non Panel Prep User Settings

*****Note: These settings are designed for North American TC-PxxST50 owners who choose not to do the Panel Prep precedure listed in post #1 . Use these setting immediately after taking the display out of the box.

*****IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED YOU FOLLOW THE PANEL PREP PROCEDURE AND USE THE TC-PxxST50 REFERENCE SETTINGS DUE TO THE GRAYSCALE SHIFTING RED WITHIN THE FIRST 100 HOURS OF USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!****

Picture
Contrast: 78
Color: 45

Pro Settings

W/B High R: +1
W/B High B: +2
W/B Low B: +4

HDMI Settings

Advance Picture

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition mediocre minds..." A. Einstein
post #10054 of 10067 Old 12-21-2015, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sven1olaf View Post
These are DNice's settings BEFORE ANY PREP, straight outta the box.

North American TC-PxxST50 Non Panel Prep User Settings

*****Note: These settings are designed for North American TC-PxxST50 owners who choose not to do the Panel Prep precedure listed in post #1 . Use these setting immediately after taking the display out of the box.

*****IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED YOU FOLLOW THE PANEL PREP PROCEDURE AND USE THE TC-PxxST50 REFERENCE SETTINGS DUE TO THE GRAYSCALE SHIFTING RED WITHIN THE FIRST 100 HOURS OF USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!****

Picture
Contrast: 78
Color: 45

Pro Settings

W/B High R: +1
W/B High B: +2
W/B Low B: +4

HDMI Settings

Advance Picture
I never did the prep/slides. Now that I've owned my set since Nov 2012, should I try the POST PREP settings or should I try the BEFORE ANY PREP settings?

I currently use the Cnet settings and I am enjoying those. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TV: Panasonic TC-P55ST50
BluRay: Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Audio: Sony HT-CT100 (Currently testing Vizio SB4051)
Gaming: PS4
PSN: Rican21
post #10055 of 10067 Old 12-21-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post
I never did the prep/slides. Now that I've owned my set since Nov 2012, should I try the POST PREP settings or should I try the BEFORE ANY PREP settings?

I currently use the Cnet settings and I am enjoying those. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Can you post your cnet settings.

In my experience the DNice settings are far superior to any other settings. I would try the non prep settings and see what you think.

Then try the post prep settings and see if you like them more. But, in your position I would use the non prepped settings.

I ran the slides and have been running the post prep settings since I got mine back in '12. The only thing that I changed is the gamma. I dropped it to 2.2 from the assigned 2.4 in his settings, and this could just be because of ambient lighting.

Recently I got my hands on a Spears and Munsil calibration disc, http://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-.../dp/B00CKWI13O, and noticed that there are some color space and clipping issues when you really dive into it.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who notices anything wrong because everyone is always saying how awesome it looks.

post #10056 of 10067 Old 12-21-2015, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Cnet's settings

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +82
Brightness: +60
Color: +46
Color temp: Warm 2
Color mgmt: Off [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Color space: Normal
W/B high R: +10
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: +3
W/B low R: +4
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: -2
Black extension: 0
Gamma adjustment: 2.6
Panel brightness: Mid
Contour emphasis: Off

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off [grayed out]
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...ttings-559444/

Cnet settings above
sven1olaf likes this.

TV: Panasonic TC-P55ST50
BluRay: Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Audio: Sony HT-CT100 (Currently testing Vizio SB4051)
Gaming: PS4
PSN: Rican21

Last edited by GatorRican; 12-21-2015 at 08:31 AM.
post #10057 of 10067 Old 12-21-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post
Cnet's settings

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +82
Brightness: +60
Color: +46
Color temp: Warm 2
Color mgmt: Off [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Color space: Normal
W/B high R: +10
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: +3
W/B low R: +4
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: -2
Black extension: 0
Gamma adjustment: 2.6
Panel brightness: Mid
Contour emphasis: Off

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 2
H size: [grayed out]
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD [grayed out]
Block NR: Off [grayed out]
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...ttings-559444/

Cnet settings above
thank you.

Fyi, those settings are for the 55" panel. There are variations between the sizes that have been found.

I'm working on compiling as much cal data as I can find and then working on coming up with a set of ranges to utilize.

post #10058 of 10067 Old 12-25-2015, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys, what about the 50 inch European version of the set? What is the latest and greatest on the settings? I have been using it with True Cinema and I do not think I see the settings mentioned above.
post #10059 of 10067 Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Xmas Lights Line of Death?

Got a vertical Green, red and white line running from the top of my 65" ST50 on the right side of my screen. Is this serviceable? It's out of warranty. Sorry if this has been covered.

Thnx for any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plasma line.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1144826  
post #10060 of 10067 Old 01-06-2016, 07:18 AM

Liked: 0
A 'New' ST50 owner here. I picked up a used 60" ST50 on craigslist, about 1800hrs on the panel, but in flawless condition (he even had the box still). This is replacing a 55" ST30 I had.

Used D-nices settings as a base to start and then slightly tweaked. Im using Warm1 instead of 2, as others have said for whatever reason Warm2 is very very warm looking, far beyond what my ST30 was.

The ST50's blacks a noticeably darker. Overall it can output a good deal more light than the ST30, which is welcome. But has anyone noticed that going from Low to Mid Panel Brightness (or back) results in virtually no difference?

Im very pleased with the upgrade, considering it only cost me $150 between what I paid and what I sold my ST30 for.
post #10061 of 10067 Old 01-06-2016, 07:20 AM

A 'New' ST50 owner here. I picked up a used 60" ST50 on craigslist, about 1800hrs on the panel, but in flawless condition (he even had the box still). This is replacing a 55" ST30 I had.

Used D-nices settings as a base to start and then slightly tweaked. Im using Warm1 instead of 2, as others have said for whatever reason Warm2 is very very warm looking, far beyond what my ST30 was.

The ST50's blacks are noticeably darker. It also seems to handle color gradients much better than the ST30, with less banding occurring. Overall it can output a good deal more light than the ST30, which is welcome. But has anyone noticed that going from Low to Mid Panel Brightness (or back) results in virtually no difference?

Im very pleased with the upgrade, considering it only cost me $150 between what I paid and what I sold my ST30 for.
post #10062 of 10067 Old 01-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Trent View Post

The ST50's blacks a noticeably darker. Overall it can output a good deal more light than the ST30, which is welcome. But has anyone noticed that going from Low to Mid Panel Brightness (or back) results in virtually no difference?

I have not found any need to adjust the panel brightness (low, mid, high) setting. There is plenty of brightness available without having to effect the baseline. Try lowering your gamma to 2.2, or lower if needed, instead.

I find that warm 2, with appropriate color adjustment and brightness/contrast settings, looks the best. Warm 1 seems overly flat and washed out.

Did you use a calibration disk, or just eyeball it?

post #10063 of 10067 Old 01-06-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
I have not found any need to adjust the panel brightness (low, mid, high) setting. There is plenty of brightness available without having to effect the baseline. Try lowering your gamma to 2.2, or lower if needed, instead.

I find that warm 2, with appropriate color adjustment and brightness/contrast settings, looks the best. Warm 1 seems overly flat and washed out.

Did you use a calibration disk, or just eyeball it?
Agreed on the Panel Brightness, it was more just an observation than anything, I left at Mid per D-Nice's settings,.

I used a Calibration disc to further tweak D-Nice's settings. I could never get Warm 2 to come out as I would like and again it was dramatically different than the ST30 on the Warm 2 setting. Maybe some kind of panel variation.

Overall really happy with how it is, the deeper blacks and the increase in brightness really made a nice upgrade over an already good ST30 (I use this in light controlled environment so the ST30 never struggled due to natural light)
post #10064 of 10067 Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Trent View Post
Agreed on the Panel Brightness, it was more just an observation than anything, I left at Mid per D-Nice's settings,.

I used a Calibration disc to further tweak D-Nice's settings. I could never get Warm 2 to come out as I would like and again it was dramatically different than the ST30 on the Warm 2 setting. Maybe some kind of panel variation.

Overall really happy with how it is, the deeper blacks and the increase in brightness really made a nice upgrade over an already good ST30 (I use this in light controlled environment so the ST30 never struggled due to natural light)

there are for sure differences in the panels between the ST30 and ST50. My only regrets about my ST50 is that I couldn't get a ZT50. But with 4k on the rise, I'm sure I'll be in the market for one of those within the next couple of years.

post #10065 of 10067 Old 01-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
My only regrets about my ST50 is that I couldn't get a ZT50. But with 4k on the rise, I'm sure I'll be in the market for one of those within the next couple of years.

I remember when the reviews of the ST50 came out it was agreed that the set bested the previous model ZT. That was good enough for me.

I was an early adopter when HD panels first came out and over-paid on what turned out to be a crummy display. Now I just wait for the market to mature a bit and then get the middle of the road set.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #10066 of 10067 Old 02-02-2016, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dish HD and 60st50

Does anyone else who is still active on this thread have an ST50 and Dish Network? I am not at all satisfied with the picture quality and it has me questioning the TV but it has to be the source because video games and blurays look phenomenal. I am coming over from DirecTV to save a few bucks but it might have been a mistake.

PSN: amays32
post #10067 of 10067 Old 04-12-2016, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amays32 View Post
Does anyone else who is still active on this thread have an ST50 and Dish Network? I am not at all satisfied with the picture quality and it has me questioning the TV but it has to be the source because video games and blurays look phenomenal. I am coming over from DirecTV to save a few bucks but it might have been a mistake.
60st50 here with Dish. I've always been happy with it, but considering a Vizio p65 soon. I don't own a Bluray. Regular HD content looks great.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by tcat; 04-17-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page