Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is it only visible with grey slides or during normal use too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 AM

Hey everyone, I bought the 55" ST50 from amazon and am expecting it soon. I'm a little nervous because it is my first plasma, I've always owned LCD's. People are talking about buzzing which concerns me. Someone else mentioned that this new filter that makes it better for bright rooms is making the picture softer in games, I game a lot so that would suck. I also saw CNET's review where they basically said the 3D is weak for this model, has anyone tried it yet? In the 2nd or 3rd page of the manual they talk about image retention, I thought plasmas were immune to that now. Please, anyone who owns this model can you touch on this stuff and whether you've noticed these faults yet? I apologize, I did not read every post in this thread, it is too long.
post #993 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft2012 View Post

is it only visible with grey slides or during normal use too.

Its visible to some extent on all content thus far, especially if I know what I'm looking for, but only particularly eye-catching with the various grayscale slides.
post #994 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket81 View Post

Hey everyone, I bought the 55" ST50 from amazon and am expecting it soon. I'm a little nervous because it is my first plasma, I've always owned LCD's. People are talking about buzzing which concerns me. Someone else mentioned that this new filter that makes it better for bright rooms is making the picture softer in games, I game a lot so that would suck. I also saw CNET's review where they basically said the 3D is weak for this model, has anyone tried it yet? In the 2nd or 3rd page of the manual they talk about image retention, I thought plasmas were immune to that now. Please, anyone who owns this model can you touch on this stuff and whether you've noticed these faults yet? I apologize, I did not read every post in this thread, it is too long.

Mine buzzes pretty noticeably on whites (can hear pretty easily in a silent room from ~8-10 ft away) but is quiet on darker colors. Can't touch on the rest of your questions.
post #995 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by invasmani View Post

Its visible to some extent on all content thus far, especially if I know what I'm looking for, but only particularly eye-catching with the various grayscale slides.

Thus far what content have you viewed on the set aside from slides?

post #996 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 3D is weak? How did you come to that determination from the Cnet review?

post #997 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

The 3D is weak? How did you come to that determination from the Cnet review?

Katsmeier raved about the thing except for one part where he mentions they weren't as impressed with the 3D and that it showed more crosstalk than competitor models. He also said it wasn't a deal breaker and the 3D is "pretty good". This looms large with me because unlike others that see 3D as a gimmick it's actually important to me.
post #998 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Thus far what content have you viewed on the set aside from slides?

15 minutes of 2d animated content, streamed via Netflix.
15 minutes of Inception via Bluray disc.
15 minutes of Breaking Bad, streamed via Netflix.
Rest of time spent with the slide loop since yesterday evening.

The band is visible throughout, but if I sat someone down with normal content without pointing out the flaw, I'm not sure they'd be able to detect it immediately. I think most people would be able to see it with the slides, however.
post #999 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 AM

So this is a really nice plasma. D-Nice's settings are "arresting" with low (or no) lighting. Is it even possible to get this set to pop a little more for daytime viewing? I sure hope so. Really don't want to go back to an LED-LCD (but would if that's the only way to get bright daytime image.)
post #1000 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Katsmeier, raved about the thing except for one part where he mentions they weren't as impressed with the 3D and that it showed more crosstalk than competitor models. He also said it wasn't a deal breaker and the 3D is "pretty good". This looms large with me because unlike others that see 3D as a gimmick it's actually important to me.

I also took into consideration that said that it was very much like the VT30, that the other sets he stated he compared them to were only slightly better, and that, at the time of the writing, he had not yet to written a review of a Samsung or LG (is there one as of this date?). I don't view this as week, or at least won't until the others have been tested and reported on.

From the reviews I've read, the best experience for 3D has been passive and I suspect that you're totally against that tech.

post #1001 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:

I also took into consideration that said that it was very much like the VT30, that the other sets he stated he compared them to were only slightly better, and that, at the time of the writing, he had not yet to written a review of a Samsung or LG (is there one as of this date?). I don't view this as week, or at least won't until the others have been tested and reported on.

From the reviews I've read, the best experience for 3D has been passive and I suspect that you're totally against that tech.

Passive is the same as what you get in the theater right now, and i'm never impressed when I go see a 3D movie in the theater. This is my first 3D tv so I can't comment on active 3D yet but it definitely sounds like a more advanced tech.
post #1002 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
post #1003 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

The absolute best 3d is supposedly with dlp but that's a whole other topic

I can't comment on that but I do know dlp uses active 3D, not passive.
post #1004 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I can't comment on that but I do know dlp uses active 3D, not passive.

Yep. I know
post #1005 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Passive is the same as what you get in the theater right now, and i'm never impressed when I go see a 3D movie in the theater. This is my first 3D tv so I can't comment on active 3D yet but it definitely sounds like a more advanced tech.

Since 3D is important to you, I suggest you get out there and take a look through both passive and active glasses, at LCD/LED and Plasmas before buying.

post #1006 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 09:28 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by invasmani View Post

if it's not a problem, could you take an image where the fault is visibe in normal content? just to see how it affects a normal scene....thanks
post #1007 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

The buzzing on mine isn't really noticeable, it does pitch higher and lower during certain colors but to be honest it was never as bad as last year's Samsung I tried. So far no image retention and I didn't use break in slides and I game a lot.

Gaming is fine, the filter doesn't soften the picture. BF3 looks really good, I would say the only bad thing for gaming is that the ST50 doesn't seem to have a good Just Scan aspect ratio which when I had Samsung was what I used. Actually any other ration than H fill, size 2 is garbage imo. No input lag is detectable and I don't use game mode.

The 3d was where I was most disappointed as it is important to me too, that is why I decided to get another TV after my first 3d tv, the crosstalk was terrible on my first and it is bad on the ST50 as well. I am actually exchanging my st50 today for the E7000 Samsung to see if the 3d is better. Also, I tried a LG passive last year and it had really good 3d if using a 3d blu ray, but if you try On Demand content it is god awful which is one reason I didn't keep the set (plus plasma is just better )

The only other thing that has bothered me a little bit is I think Dithering is what they call it, but it is where you see a snowy/grainy look on the picture where to me it looks like you can actually see the pixels firing. It can be annoying if you look for it and it is less noticeable on better signals, but still annoying.
post #1008 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCREEP1NGDEATHx View Post

The only other thing that has bothered me a little bit is I think Dithering is what they call it, but it is where you see a snowy/grainy look on the picture where to me it looks like you can actually see the pixels firing. It can be annoying if you look for it and it is less noticeable on better signals, but still annoying.

Try turning down the brightness to see if it helps.

post #1009 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks for everyone's input/advice. I have 30 days to play with it, within 30 days amazon will take it back with no shipping or restocking fees. Except for the 3d I am expecting to be impressed though, I am coming from a 2008 sharp lcd, so everything with the st50 will be compared to that. Regarding crosstalk, i've read that it is subjective, i've read that some content is worse than others and i've read that some displays are more prone to it. Is it a combination of all these things or just one?
post #1010 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM

Liked: 14
checked out 55" st50 at BB.

2D loop. so not much to watch. 3D glasses not turned on, so could not check that out. don't care about it anyway.

note: I am a total newb.

that said:

it was not hot. I felt heat. I put my hands all over the screen. there was heat. but it felt negligible. I felt no concern.

the picture was bright, clear and pleasing. I noticed no buzzing.

I plan on buying a 50". (not available yet at BB store. don't know about BB online.)
post #1011 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmm14 View Post

I took a look at the P50ST50 yesterday and I'm thinking of buying one (I have no room for anything larger than a Panny 50"). I will be using it primarily to watch cable TV and stream movies -- no game playing. The room where the TV will be located can be pretty bright, but there's not a lot of direct sunlight.

I know the GT50 has features the ST50 doesn't have. Will those features allow better picture adjustments for daytime and nighttime viewing?

Thanks.

Peter

Any thoughts? What am I, chopped liver?
post #1012 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:

Maybe you will have to wait until both models are available to a good sized group and owner threads have been started.
post #1013 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Passive is what you get in the theater, period, but it bears no resemblance to the passive used in home TVs by LG. They have almost nothing to do with one another, to be honest.

The theater passive is a different enough technology from either the active or passive in-home technologies.

To say in-home active is "more advanced" is kind of nonsensical. (The reason RealD isn't in your home is because it's too expensive to implement; it's quite a bit more advanced than what's in your TV in many ways.) Theater 3-D is much more forgiving with respect to head movement and location in the room. A lot of active home systems suffer from some or a lot of "crosstalk" which is a huge negative.

Then there are passive home system's like LG, which cut resolution a ton (bad), but offer a powerful depth illusion (good).

It's fair to say there are tradeoffs all around and people will have their own preferences.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #1014 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 11:46 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I am also waiting for some reviews of the GT50 although I'm about 95% sure I am going to get one just because I like the looks of it over the ST50. Also the THX modes won't hurt and could give me the "Day" and "Night" options I want.

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #1015 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:

Thank you for your answer and I understand. I just thought that if someone were familiar with the specs, it might give some indication.

Many specs are mostly marketing tools for the manufacturer. Contrast ratio is a prime example of spec that has lost all meaning. I don't have any idea what the specs you listed would mean in a bright room. My guess is that there won't be a significant difference in brightness between the two models. That's a guess not a prediction.

The only way to be sure of getting a lot of brightness is to go LCD or find a way to dim the viewing room a bit.
post #1016 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Thank you. I think I'll be able to view one and compare it to the ST50 this week.
post #1017 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 11:57 AM

Can any ST50 owners give their opinion about the built in media player? How well does it support mkv's and such? Thanks!
post #1018 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Liked: 13
i just don't get it, whats all the fuss about brightness? How bright do you want it? I have an ancient Panny 42pwd6uy in a bright room with double sliding doors on the right side and the TV is plenty bright in the daylight. Are you trying to get some tan while you are watching TV ????

on thread subject .. sitting 10' from TV i'm looking to upgrade my old 42 to 50st50.. Local BB still has non in stock, but as soon as they do i'll have to check it out and hopefully play with settings...
post #1019 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 PM

just pulled the trigger on a 60 inch ST50 from Amazon. So pumped.

The one thing I do not like about this TV is the silver stand. Does anyone think I could paint it black and make it look good? If so, any ideas on what kind of paint to use to make it look OEM-ish and not like a 1st grade art project?
post #1020 of 9986 Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evgeshais300 View Post

i just don't get it, whats all the fuss about brightness? How bright do you want it? I have an ancient Panny 42pwd6uy in a bright room with double sliding doors on the right side and the TV is plenty bright in the daylight. Are you trying to get some tan while you are watching TV ????

Not trying to get a tan since my skin is already dark :P

I'm just wondering if any of the more knowledgable folks here had any settings they were specifically using during the day in their bright rooms since the screen tends to get grey as room/sun light increases. Switching to "vivd" mode is too torchy and not pleasant to watch. It's certainly an increase in panel brightness, but a huge loss in overall quality. I've tried some adjustments, but have yet to find something satisfactory for these conditions. My bro-inlaw has 10 year old Sammy plasma that is SUPER bright. So maybe, as seems to be the case with your older Panny, they just don't make them like they used to?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page