Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 9989 Old 04-04-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas51 View Post

thanks a ton htwaits.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 9989 Old 04-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by x_marxz View Post

mine works fine.

Hmmm....Could you tell me your software version? Mine is 1.140. Are you in the US?
post #1053 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 03:32 AM

Liked: 14
thank you very much. awesome reply. could you please tell me any comment regarding the audio?

due to space limitation I love the idea of not having to get a soundbar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I have a G25. I turned the contrast and brightness down for the first 100 hours and that's all. I watch a lot of news shows including MSNBC, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. I don't baby the tv but I don't play games either. I have not noticable IR and I don't go hunting for it either by looking at slides etc. There's only one model that I've heard which produced long term IR and that is the VT30.

D-Nice essentially had to put the ST50 through a torture test to get IR.

post #1054 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 AM

My 60ST50 should arrive via Cleveland Plasma next tuesday. Assuming everything goes okay, my trusty 54g10 will be hitting the trail later in the week.

Hope we use this thread to share settings. I'm really curious to see what settings others end up with on the ST.

The blacks on my G10 seem to have held up nicely but I hope to be impressed by the blacks on the ST...
post #1055 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas51 View Post

thank you very much. awesome reply. could you please tell me any comment regarding the audio?

due to space limitation I love the idea of not having to get a soundbar.

What is limiting for your space?

I think you might be best served by checking out the Soundbar forum here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=195

If you're not expecting enveloping sound then the tv might be fine for you. I'm sorry that I didn't check the sound on the one at BB.

post #1056 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Hi bhazard

From what I've been reading Panasonic might just might win me over this year with their 50 series, but for the time being my brother still jumps to any opportunity to check out new movies on the tweaked LG PX950 as opposed to watching them on his ST30.
Problem is our littlest brother (we're 4) has the lead with his dedicated home theater dressed in black velvet with the follow gear
JVC RS25 , 125" 2.35 screen, Integra 80.3, Oppo BDP-83 , Seaton Catalyst 8C's (LCR), Sparks (S,R) Dual Seaton Submersives, Audyssey Pro Kit.
So even a 60"er looks small in comparison and the blacks and contrast ratio are to die for, not to mention the audio, so basically a totally immersive movie watching experience.

Dedicated theater is my dream, but I'm several years away from that. Even so, I would still have a plasma behind the projection screen.

The 50 series is a large jump over what we have now. It's in my best interest to unload my PZ while I can still get a good price for it, and move on. I've never been 100% happy with it. I was happy until the black level tweak started to revert.
post #1057 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm always interested in IR info... back when I bought my 42PX75 (I think thats the model) I remember hearing about it and that in the newer models it was much better. I did not baby my TV by any means and went straight into viewing various formats and playing video games (several occassions where I'd had people over and the starting screen for Rock Band was left on for hours on end) and while I would see the odd bit of IR immediately after something like that it would go away quickly and the set has 0 IR as of today.

I always suspected that any plasmas in the future would adhere to this same type of resiliency to IR but with all the talk about it I sometimes wonder if it doesnt sound worse.

There was also talk about black levels being limited by power limitations in current electronics and someone disputed saying that it would not have any effect on it and that their set should use the least amount of power when showing black. However just recalling from memory I thought that LCDs and Plasmas were essentially opposites in this particular instance. LCD pixels are normally black (or as close to black as they can get) with no power applied which is the main limiting factor in how dark their blacks can get. But with plasma I thought they were normally clear with no power applied and were made dark when electricity was applied which would suggest a plasma would use more power when displaying black (all pixels using electricity) as opposed to white
post #1058 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_Dracule View Post

But with plasma I thought they were normally clear with no power applied and were made dark when electricity was applied which would suggest a plasma would use more power when displaying black (all pixels using electricity) as opposed to white

Completely backwards. Turn your plasma TV off, that's as black as the screen will get. Likewise for LCD. For a plasma, the color white requires the most electricity to generate. For an LCD (generally speaking) the backlight is on at the same intensity regardless of what's on screen and the electricity required to manipulate the screen to render the image is very small (local dimming tech changes this somewhat but the gist is the same). ie, LCD power draw is fairly constant regardless of image, while plasma's is highly image dependent.

jeff
post #1059 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 AM

Hi everyone, had my 55" st50 delivered yesterday, anyone know where to get or have any suggestions for best settings. I'm not going to pay to have it calibrated, but if there are any recommended settings I can try them. Thanks!
post #1060 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaket81 View Post

Hi everyone, had my 55" st50 delivered yesterday, anyone know where to get or have any suggestions for best settings. I'm not going to pay to have it calibrated, but if there are any recommended settings I can try them. Thanks!

Try looking at hdj.

post #1061 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Completely backwards. Turn your plasma TV off, that's as black as the screen will get. Likewise for LCD. For a plasma, the color white requires the most electricity to generate. For an LCD (generally speaking) the backlight is on at the same intensity regardless of what's on screen and the electricity required to manipulate the screen to render the image is very small (local dimming tech changes this somewhat but the gist is the same). ie, LCD power draw is fairly constant regardless of image, while plasma's is highly image dependent.

jeff

Well when the TV is off obviously any backlighting would be off as well which would be why it looks black I would think? Its entirely possible i dont remember correctly though but I thought that was the main argument about why plasmas created deeper blacks
post #1062 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadphish View Post

Hmmm....Could you tell me your software version? Mine is 1.140. Are you in the US?

It says I have the latest version 1.140. I got my TV from Amazon last friday shipped from Panasonic NA Aurora, IL. January 2012 manufacturing date. My netflix works fine. I have been reading some of the post here aand they were saying the notice vertical bands, buzzing, and crosstalk with their 3ds. But I dont have any issues with all of that. My tv works fine. I just tried 3d it does not have cross talk. I tried Jackass 3d, Hubble Imax. I also did try 2d to 3d conversion. but it works fine.
post #1063 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 AM

hello

i want wo buy a 55ST50 Plasma in Europe. I have a 2008 Panasonic 50PZ80 Plasma at home. Anyone of the Owners can tell me, how good the Soundquality of the ST50 Speakers are, comparing on other Panasonic Plasmas (2008-2011) Series.

I hear the Sound from a 2012 Panasonic LED an it sounds like a Smartphones Speaker.

thx
post #1064 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:

It says I have the latest version 1.140. I got my TV from Amazon last friday shipped from Panasonic NA Aurora, IL. January 2012 manufacturing date. My netflix works fine. I have been reading some of the post here aand they were saying the notice vertical bands, buzzing, and crosstalk with their 3ds. But I dont have any issues with all of that. My tv works fine. I just tried 3d it does not have cross talk. I tried Jackass 3d, Hubble Imax. I also did try 2d to 3d conversion. but it works fine.

Maaannnn....I went to BB to see if netflix worked on their floor model. Same firmware and it loaded right up. Panasonic has no answer for me, nor does Netflix. Other Viera apps are working fine. Other TV's in the house (non Panny) connect to netflix just fine. Stumped : (
post #1065 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Could it be that you've exceeded the number of devices that you can connect with netflix? Have you checked your account to verify that it's registered?

While there, delete any that are no longer in use.

post #1066 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Hey everyone, I bought the 55" ST50 from amazon and am expecting it soon. I'm a little nervous because it is my first plasma, I've always owned LCD's. People are talking about buzzing which concerns me. Someone else mentioned that this new filter that makes it better for bright rooms is making the picture softer in games, I game a lot so that would suck. I also saw CNET's review where they basically said the 3D is weak for this model, has anyone tried it yet? In the 2nd or 3rd page of the manual they talk about image retention, I thought plasmas were immune to that now. Please, anyone who owns this model can you touch on this stuff and whether you've noticed these faults yet? I apologize, I did not read every post in this thread, it is too long.

I have been watching movies (only) on my ST50 daily for about 10 days. So far my experience has been:
  • no buzzing
  • no excessive heat from back panel
  • vertical band I saw on gray pre-calibration slides is either gone or not noticeable with real content
  • pretty bad crosstalk in the nighttime scenes of Tangled 3D. In lighter scenes the 3D looks great! Still need to try some other movies for comparison.
post #1067 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I got to see the 55ST50 at Best buy today but it was not setup well enough to get an idea of how much better it is than my ST30. I did get a chance to see a white screen on the little best video and I didn't see any green blobs. I didn't see it for many months on my ST30 until I found out that it was most noticeable on the grey slide and then I saw it. Has anybody else (besides the person earlier in this thread that posted pics) checked out the grey slide to see if they have green blobs? I am hoping to replace my 55ST30 with a 65ST50 but I am worried the blobs will be back.
post #1068 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post

I have been watching movies (only) on my ST50 daily for about 10 days. So far my experience has been:
  • no buzzing
  • no excessive heat from back panel
  • vertical band I saw on gray pre-calibration slides is either gone or not noticeable with real content
  • pretty bad crosstalk in the nighttime scenes of Tangled 3D. In lighter scenes the 3D looks great! Still need to try some other movies for comparison.

Thanks for these notes, my tv came yesterday and I am finding the same thing as you. I can only hear buzzing if I go right up to the tv and listen for it, unless it gets louder or I turn into superman i'll never hear it unless I stick my ear to the tv. I haven't watched a 3D movie yet but I did some gaming in 3D and was impressed for the most part. There was crosstalk, but if I forget about it and stop trying to find it it's not an issue. One thing I did find about the crosstalk is it was worse the farther away I am from an object in a game, when i'm right up close to something, it comes out of the screen at me and is crisp. I should mention that I was playing with all 3D maxed out, both in game and in the TV's settings. The things I've found worst about this tv so far is cable isn't so good, short of tinkering with settings. Dark scenes look pretty bad with what I could only call noise or snow, but I think certain settings would fix this. Earlier in this thread someone posted something about plasmas generally having a softer picture than lcd, and I think this might be true. This is my first plasma, I've always owned lcd's and the picture does seem softer than any lcd I've ever had. It may just be a placebo effect because I heard about this, but when I used to turn the sharpness on an lcd all the way up it looked really grainy meaning you turned it up too much. On this plasma though you can crank it all the way up and any scene is still smooth. I'm not even sure this is a bad thing, but I just need to get used to it.
post #1069 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Liked: 14
thank you very much again. space limitations are that my living room is not huge.
I will check out the soundbar forum though. thanks again for your reply and the suggestion.

Quote:

What is limiting for your space?

I think you might be best served by checking out the Soundbar forum here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=195

If you're not expecting enveloping sound then the tv might be fine for you. I'm sorry that I didn't check the sound on the one at BB.

post #1070 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Just wondering how many people did or did not run break in slides on their tv's. I wish there was a poll that could be put up to gauge.

For those that did, do you feel it made a significant difference to PQ?
For those that did not, do you wish you would have done a break-in initially?

I remember reading somewhere break in slides are supposed to make the pixels more uniform, but I'd to avoid a 100 hour break in period.
post #1071 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM

So does anyone know when the 65" is coming out...I am growing slightly impatient here
post #1072 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti1975 View Post

hello

i want wo buy a 55ST50 Plasma in Europe. I have a 2008 Panasonic 50PZ80 Plasma at home. Anyone of the Owners can tell me, how good the Soundquality of the ST50 Speakers are, comparing on other Panasonic Plasmas (2008-2011) Series.

I hear the Sound from a 2012 Panasonic LED an it sounds like a Smartphones Speaker.

thx

Sorry, but I thought the 55st50's speakers (while I had it) sounded quite tinny/crappy. My older Panny plasma (and the "other" brand replacement plasma) sound much better.

Edit: I'm liquored. I had the 55st30. I don't know what the st50 sounds like. Sorry about that!
post #1073 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoggSquad View Post

Just wondering how many people did or did not run break in slides on their tv's. I wish there was a poll that could be put up to gauge.

For those that did, do you feel it made a significant difference to PQ?
For those that did not, do you wish you would have done a break-in initially?

I remember reading somewhere break in slides are supposed to make the pixels more uniform, but I'd to avoid a 100 hour break in period.

Its a personal choice. I've both done them and have not done them. I wont do them again. I will though break it in for 200 hours with safe content (which some people also think is stupid lol!)
post #1074 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

I got to see the 55ST50 at Best buy today but it was not setup well enough to get an idea of how much better it is than my ST30. I did get a chance to see a white screen on the little best video and I didn't see any green blobs. I didn't see it for many months on my ST30 until I found out that it was most noticeable on the grey slide and then I saw it. Has anybody else (besides the person earlier in this thread that posted pics) checked out the grey slide to see if they have green blobs? I am hoping to replace my 55ST30 with a 65ST50 but I am worried the blobs will be back.

You should buy another brand because you are now infected with the Panasonic blob virus.
triumphrider74 likes this.

post #1075 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadphish View Post

Maaannnn....I went to BB to see if netflix worked on their floor model. Same firmware and it loaded right up. Panasonic has no answer for me, nor does Netflix. Other Viera apps are working fine. Other TV's in the house (non Panny) connect to netflix just fine. Stumped : (

Try to log out your netflix account to your other TVs and laptops. then log in to your netflix account via viera. see if it works. its probably not working if the same accounts are open at the same time.
post #1076 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:

You should buy another brand because you are now infected with the Panasonic blob virus.

I have tried the slides provided by D Nice. I do not see green blobs, vertical bands. I have tried the slides on different picture modes but i didnt see any. I have a 50 in st50. I dont know with 55 60 and 65 in.
post #1077 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks for these notes, my tv came yesterday and I am finding the same thing as you. I can only hear buzzing if I go right up to the tv and listen for it, unless it gets louder or I turn into superman i'll never hear it unless I stick my ear to the tv. I haven't watched a 3D movie yet but I did some gaming in 3D and was impressed for the most part. There was crosstalk, but if I forget about it and stop trying to find it it's not an issue. One thing I did find about the crosstalk is it was worse the farther away I am from an object in a game, when i'm right up close to something, it comes out of the screen at me and is crisp. I should mention that I was playing with all 3D maxed out, both in game and in the TV's settings. The things I've found worst about this tv so far is cable isn't so good, short of tinkering with settings. Dark scenes look pretty bad with what I could only call noise or snow, but I think certain settings would fix this. Earlier in this thread someone posted something about plasmas generally having a softer picture than lcd, and I think this might be true. This is my first plasma, I've always owned lcd's and the picture does seem softer than any lcd I've ever had. It may just be a placebo effect because I heard about this, but when I used to turn the sharpness on an lcd all the way up it looked really grainy meaning you turned it up too much. On this plasma though you can crank it all the way up and any scene is still smooth. I'm not even sure this is a bad thing, but I just need to get used to it.

try adjusting motion smoother it will make it sharper.
post #1078 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_Dracule View Post

Well when the TV is off obviously any backlighting would be off as well which would be why it looks black I would think? Its entirely possible i dont remember correctly though but I thought that was the main argument about why plasmas created deeper blacks

No, it's not "entirely possible". Black is the absence of light. If a TV looks to have better blacks when it's on, it's because your eye is noticing the contrast of other parts of the screen.

When humanity creates something that can actually suck out light with electricity applied to it, let me know. That will be pretty cool to see.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #1079 of 9989 Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I have tried the slides provided by D Nice. I do not see green blobs, vertical bands. I have tried the slides on different picture modes but i didnt see any. I have a 50 in st50. I dont know with 55 60 and 65 in.

I have gotten confirmation from a few people now that their ST50 doesn't have it so that makes me feel better. I have a 55 so I will probably go with the 65 once the prices come down.

Quote:

If you had a 30 series with a green area in the middle of the screen then you would have the same virus. If the st50 doesn't have the issue and it's the best bang for the buck then I have no reason to go with another brand.
post #1080 of 9989 Old 04-06-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneNumm View Post

Sorry, but I thought the 55st50's speakers (while I had it) sounded quite tinny/crappy. My older Panny plasma (and the "other" brand replacement plasma) sound much better.

Edit: I'm liquored. I had the 55st30. I don't know what the st50 sounds like. Sorry about that!

no problem

have the Pz80 from 2008 and dont wanna have a big downgrade. I read about 8 Speakers and a Mini Subwoofer in the Frame.
Sounds gut, but is it so good??
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page