Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1321 of 9988 Old 04-11-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakeguy View Post

I don't know if I'm happy or sad that I don't know what the cause of the HDJ cloak and dagger stuff is.

And for the the record I googled "HDJ D-nice 50ST50" and got nothing. So it's not that easy, evidently.

What a thorn in the AVS side. Ugh.

Seriously, I can't find Dnice's review either. All I can find is his thread about calibrating the TV. I've been using this forum more often lately, and this whole HDJ censoring thing is getting really, really obnoxious. Leaves an awful taste in my mouth. Can someone please PM the link to D-nice's review?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 9988 Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
High definition junkies in a slightly condensed version, .com of course. G'luck

Fej
post #1323 of 9988 Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Seriously, I can't find Dnice's review either. All I can find is his thread about calibrating the TV. I've been using this forum more often lately, and this whole HDJ censoring thing is getting really, really obnoxious. Leaves an awful taste in my mouth. Can someone please PM the link to D-nice's review?

He hasn't written up a review yet, it's only his calibrations, but if you search this forum, and hdj, for his posts you'll get his impressions of the series.

post #1324 of 9988 Old 04-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Liked: 11
All I know is it looks like one of the best performance values of any tv period. I would love to get my hands on one of these sets but it looks like I'll have to wait until next year.
post #1325 of 9988 Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 PM

I couldn't find anything on HDJ either. Although, I didn't register an account so I guess visitors might not be able to see posts until you register.

Whats with the censoring anyway? Why can't review links be posted? AVS butthurt with HDJ or something?
post #1326 of 9988 Old 04-11-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Google search of "Reviews & Settings by the Top Industry Leaders" yields the following and it should be the first, the top, result: I suggest you who cannot locate it use the calibrations for not running slides since the process of running the slides might be beyond your ability- just sayin.

https://www.google.com/search?q=d-ni...w=1280&bih=695

post #1327 of 9988 Old 04-11-2012, 09:25 PM

I don't know why all the back and forth...

You have to be registered at that other forum to see the posts you are looking for, even via Google, that is all.
post #1328 of 9988 Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Registration is free.

post #1329 of 9988 Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 PM

Ok guys I have had the GT50 for two days now after exchanging the Samsung PNE7000.

Early impressions are that it is good for sure, but it is not much different than the ST50 and I honestly could not recommend the price difference unless you liked the look of the GT50 better (which I do).

One big plus is it is the quietest plasma I have owned including the ones I tried. There is little to no buzz at all. I have not noticed any blobs or verticle lines and therefore do not plan to look for them and ruin the set, lol.

2D picture is just as good as the ST50 with maybe a little better contrast and dithering seems to be less noticeable. The louver filter on the ST50 I thought was a little better actually even though they are supposed to be the same.

3D picture still leaves a lot to be desired. Its pretty much the same as the ST50. Crosstalk is very noticeable on TANGLED and quite distracting. This is the one thing that the Samsung wins over, 3D on the Sammy was beautiful and crosstalk free in my tests.

Thx modes are ok, kind of a placebo effect for someone who doesn't want to get calibration.

Video games look and handle great!

All in all it is the TV that I will keep but wish the 3d was better. Can't recommend it over the ST50 though for the price.
post #1330 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Still enjoying the ST50...my first plasma and certainly allayed any concerns prior to purchase.

Started with the d-nice settings and changed minimally for a good setup on most inputs. Using the WOW calibration disc shows minimal changes from the initial d-nice settings so I've left it as is.

Still not certain whether I should have setup the Boxee Box output to 444, 422, RGB-Low, or RGB-High. Not sitting in front of it, but one of the outputs gives a significantly darker picture-the others are identical.
post #1331 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I suggest you who cannot locate it use the calibrations for not running slides since the process of running the slides might be beyond your ability- just sayin.

Holy cow that is funny.

I can't believe there are 2 pages in this forum dedicated to teaching people how to Google.
post #1332 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCREEP1NGDEATHx View Post

Ok guys I have had the GT50 for two days now after exchanging the Samsung PNE7000.

Can you compare the GT50 with the E7000. What was the reason you returned the 7000?
post #1333 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Come on people! You come here looking for help and you get it. You ask for advice and you get it. Won't you please takes some pictures and/or videos of your ST50 and share them with us?

post #1334 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

Holy cow that is funny.

I can't believe there are 2 pages in this forum dedicated to teaching people how to Google.

I think some people were confused that one must register to SEE posts over on HDJ. Typcially, visitors can view messages but must only register to POST. I think that may have had something to do with it.
post #1335 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
I had to register to see the posts.
post #1336 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen_PCB View Post

I think some people were confused that one must register to SEE posts over on HDJ. Typcially, visitors can view messages but must only register to POST. I think that may have had something to do with it.

Some areas are blocked from unregistered guests and where the calibrations are is one of them. I had to sign out to verify last night.

post #1337 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 10:53 AM

hello - can somebody give me the settings from the avsforum review of the panasonic tx-p50st50b? I searched a lot but can't find it. Thanks.
post #1338 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmtnbiker View Post

Hi all. My first post! I'm here seeking some educated opinions. I purchased a 55" ST50 from Amazon almost a month ago and am VERY pleased with it. Love the panel! HOWEVER, I'm experiencing some buzzing and being fairly "electronically challenged", thought I'd ask a question or two here.

I realize that all plasmas buzz to a certain extent. However, my ST50 buzzes most audibly when an image with a lot of white or an all white image is being displayed. My seating position is approximately 9 feet away and if I mute my sound system during such an event I can hear it very clearly. When the image transitions to a darker scene the buzzing becomes undetectable from my seating position.

My question is this - is there a chance this set has a defective power supply somewhere? The sound emanates from a small vent in the upper right-hand corner of the back panel (when facing the back panel). Looking through the grille there I can see the corner of a circuit board and I presume that the buzzing component is somewhere on it or near it.

My return window with Amazon closes this Sunday, and although I'd *really* hate to deal with swapping it out (and risk getting one with a worse issue), if it's defective I want to take care of it now and simply get it replaced rather than deal with Panasonic warranty service later. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

from what I've understood , what you are describing is normal behavior for plasmas (your power supply isnt defective)

correct me if i'm wrong tho.
post #1339 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lude1605 View Post

hello - can somebody give me the settings from the avsforum review of the panasonic tx-p50st50b? I searched a lot but can't find it. Thanks.

You mean avforum review. It's euro based, AVS is North Am based.

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Pana...81/Review.html
post #1340 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 12:20 PM

Not happy with my st50. Just recieved it but the sd digital channels seems to have a strange line on the side of the screens. It seems like faulty. Should i return it?

It doesn't seems to happen on hd content, only sd.

post #1341 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I doubt that's a TV fault - it's just garbage in the overscan area. Turn on Overscan in the TV settings and it should go away?

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest.co.uk
post #1342 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris View Post

I doubt that's a TV fault - it's just garbage in the overscan area. Turn on Overscan in the TV settings and it should go away?

It only happends when overscan is off, while on the screen is properly. But i hate overscan.
post #1343 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelbreker View Post

It only happends when overscan is off, while on the screen is properly. But i hate overscan.

If you hate over scan then don't watch SDTV. Over scan had to be engineered into all TVs before HDTV. If you watch SDTV on a HDTV display you have two choices -- over scan or garbage at the edges.
post #1344 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you hate over scan then don't watch SDTV. Over scan had to be engineered into all TVs before HDTV.

So you're saying it's not a faulty panasonic panel? And why can i watch sd channels on the panasonic 42 g30 without those problems. It's the same size.
post #1345 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Am I correct in saying that the video image has black pixels at the top and right side?

If so then the weird "wrinkle" you're seeing is probably due to the video being lowpass filtered at the broadcaster's end.

If you have Sharpness set too high then it'll be exaggerating the filter artefacts.

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest.co.uk
post #1346 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelbreker View Post

So you're saying it's not a faulty panasonic panel? And why can i watch sd channels on the panasonic 42 g30 without those problems. It's the same size.

The G30 is probably set to use over scan. The nomenclature "for no over scan" / "over scan" is different from manufacturer to manufacturer so I can't tell you what size settings to use.

There should be only a slight difference in sharpness and detail when going from "all bits displayed" (no over scan) to a small amount of over scan (maybe one inch in all four directions).

From your pictures it's possible to see the distortion that you are referring to, but it would be better to see the entire screen from dead center.
post #1347 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Have you hooked your blu-ray straight into the tv to see if it happens?

Tried this last night, ran with no problems. Guess it's not the TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCREEP1NGDEATHx View Post

3D picture still leaves a lot to be desired. Its pretty much the same as the ST50. Crosstalk is very noticeable on TANGLED and quite distracting. This is the one thing that the Samsung wins over, 3D on the Sammy was beautiful and crosstalk free in my tests.

Try watching something else in 3D and see what you think. We had problems with Tangled too, but the 3D looks great on other movies.
post #1348 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

The G30 is probably set to us over scan. The nomenclature "for no over scan" / "over scan" is different from manufacturer to manufacturer so I can't tell you what size settings to use.

There should be only a slight difference in sharpness and detail when going from "all bits displayed" (no over scan) to a small amount of over scan (maybe one inch in all four directions).

From your pictures it's possible to see the distortion that you are referring to, but it would be better to see the entire screen from dead center.

I don't have any knowlegde about hdtv's but you're actually saying that my set is fine. And the sd problems would be exactly the same even after trading for a new st50?
post #1349 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 03:00 PM

I just got my 3d glasses and the black levels are extremely bad in 3d especially compared to my VT20 which has quite good black levels in 3d. In terms of crosstalk it's a bit better than my VT20 but there's still too much in my opinion. Is there any setting/fix to get better black levels in 3d or am I stuck with grey levels?
post #1350 of 9988 Old 04-12-2012, 03:04 PM

Hello - looking for some opinions based on my situation. This is not a VS. question...I know (saw it today - unreal) the Panasonic has a better picture. My dilemma lies in the size of my room. I will be sitting about 15-18 feet from the TV. Do I sacrifice what is arguably the best picture I've ever seen for a 5" larger screen for about the same price? TV's will cost within $150 of each other. I actually like the LW6500 as well - but the PQ, IMHO, isn't as good. However, the extra screen goes a long way and it does have some other positives, ie passive 3D, still a decent picture, its bigger, and oh yeah, its bigger. I CANNOT afford (nor want to deal with the wife in regards too) the cost of a 65ST50, so that as an answer is understood but not applicable! I am currently squinting at a 55LW5600. It will also be in a room that doubles as the default "play" room for my 2 small monsters and the TV will be on kids programming during the day. I will sadly have the risk of Sprout or whatever cartoon type TV being left on by accident for possibly hours. If there are letterboxes or logos I worry about IR. Thoughts? Thanks in advance...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page