Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazon is out the the glasses and it has to be sold through them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
That makes sense, then. Since they were still advertising it I thought maybe it applied to "fulfilled by Amazon" as well.

EDIT: No, Amazon itself still shows as "In Stock" for me. Just defaults to a different seller because they're a few dollars lower in price.
post #1503 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

There is a search button at the top of the page on the forum title bar.

But D-Nice's 2012 Settings aren't posted here on AVS - only on HDJ.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1504 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

But D-Nice's 2012 Settings aren't posted here on AVS - only on HDJ.

I know that. And a search will show the multiple times that was stated within this thread too, including on the page just before this one.

Maybe you could post something to give them a clue in the OP?

post #1505 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 01:51 PM

Now the 65" is slated for June? Uggghhh.
post #1506 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad_Dracule View Post

That is incredibly odd because 60hz CRT monitors drive me absolutely nuts (I work in the computer field) and I see no sign of even the slightest flicker on my plasma. Is this where those "600hz Subfield drive" features come into play? If the pixels are switching at 600hz you'd have to be superman to see any flicker

Talk about the whole "You dont see it until you look for it" effect...

After hearing about the flickering I notice it now! Its very very minimal and only when not looking directly at the screen so not a bother at all but now that I've seen it I definitely notice it alot more
post #1507 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Vlad,

Just so everyone remembers, I'm one of those that flicker drives NUTS. When people still had CRTs at their desks, I would have to change refresh rates for co-workers that were on 60hz, because it would drive me crazy. I see the flicker on every static screen on the new plasma, but when watching a movie I don't see it at all. In fact, if anything it's more like being AT the theater than my LCD was. Since my plasma will see 99% of its use for movies, I am not concerned about it. In fact, I'm loving it. We watched over 10 hours of movies yesterday (hey, it was a rainy Sunday) and I have to say we are in love with the PQ of this set.
post #1508 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Vlad,

Just so everyone remembers, I'm one of those that flicker drives NUTS. When people still had CRTs at their desks, I would have to change refresh rates for co-workers that were on 60hz, because it would drive me crazy. I see the flicker on every static screen on the new plasma, but when watching a movie I don't see it at all. In fact, if anything it's more like being AT the theater than my LCD was. Since my plasma will see 99% of its use for movies, I am not concerned about it. In fact, I'm loving it. We watched over 10 hours of movies yesterday (hey, it was a rainy Sunday) and I have to say we are in love with the PQ of this set.

Yep. I am the exact same way. Just kinda funny how when you dont think something has the possibility to exist you dont notice it at all. I can definitely see it now but from what I understood about plasma I was never looking for it and may have in fact attributed what I did see of it to the source.

With 60hz CRTs I could see flicker at all times (on computer monitors it drove me insane) so I'm guessing that these are higher than 60hz but yes definitely still visible
post #1509 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I just finished running a test to see if the built-in Netflix and Amazon apps could replace what I have on my PS3.

Panasonic's Netflix application does not appear to support 5.1 audio. Videos I know to be 5.1 on the PS3 were not showing the availability to change to 5.1 (or Dolby Digital) when in the Panasonic's app. Sending sound through ARC to my Pioneer VSX-1021 never showed anything other than Stereo. I also noted the Netflix app in the TV caused video to take on the dreaded SOE. I detest the way video looks when frame interpolation is turned on, so this was a deal-breaker for me.

The Amazon app works fine, but I did not test HD or 5.1 audio content. I don't know if 5.1 is supported, some videos are labeled HD. Since the Netflix app didn't live up to expectations, I didn't go any farther with the Amazon app.

The PS3 is still king in my house for watching Netflix or Amazon. I prefer the video quality on Amazon, but the ability to queue makes Netflix easier to use.

I also have an HTPC in the living room with the ability to stream Netflix, but it also can't do 5.1 and the video is too choppy (Silverlight issues is my guess) for me.
post #1510 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 02:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I also noted the Netflix app in the TV caused video to take on the dreaded SOE.

what's SOE? i'm using ps3 for netflix now but I plan on using netflix when i get my 60ST50 this week, is the quality of netflix really that bad through the panasonic app?
post #1511 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post

Well, no luck with Amazon. They told me they wouldn't honor the promotion because I purchased my TV before it started.

My rep told me to send the TV back and order another one to get free glasses. I don't think she understands what a big deal shipping a 55-inch TV is.

ETA: I kept pressing and eventually they let me order 2 pairs of glasses and refunded the purchase price. I originally bought my glasses elsewhere b/c Amazon wasn't selling them when I ordered my TV, so I still haven't gotten them "free," but at least this way I'll have 2 extra pairs for guests to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Madden View Post

Interesting. If they won't price match them, I wonder what retailers they will match.

Here's the list:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...00726210#sites
post #1512 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM

I'm on the fence right now and thinking about pulling trigger on the 55 ST50 (glasses deal is also nice).

I watch a lot of hockey and am a bit turned off by the ABL issue. Is this universal to plasmas these days? Has anyone seen the 2012 LGs (e.g. LG 50PM9700) ? I'm wondering if there are any alternatives where ABL is not an issue...
post #1513 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Were the blacks like that before you applied the new settings (blue and crushing)? I wouldn't think that blacks on this set would look like that. It seems that your tv might need further adjustments. Maybe you could reset the modes, then use the slides and then apply the appropriate settings to see if it improves.

Mine is supposed to be delivered on Thursday, I'll take a look and report back.

Honestly, I don't know, I just turned it on and changed to D-nice non-prep settings. At this point I am unable to use the slides because the TV cannot sit without being used. Wife does daycare and uses it daily and no other spot in the house to set the TV while it does the slides.

I am just going to keep playing around with the settings.

Would running the slides drastically change the way the TV looks? not looking for reference right now.
post #1514 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikediamond View Post

what's SOE? i'm using ps3 for netflix now but I plan on using netflix when i get my 60ST50 this week, is the quality of netflix really that bad through the panasonic app?

Soap Opera Effect. It isn't bad, it's just not optimal - or at least not for my eyes. Some like that effect.
post #1515 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocked View Post

That makes sense, then. Since they were still advertising it I thought maybe it applied to "fulfilled by Amazon" as well.

EDIT: No, Amazon itself still shows as "In Stock" for me. Just defaults to a different seller because they're a few dollars lower in price.

Yep, the glasses were still in stock. Just placed my order for the 50-inch ST50. The glasses credit came off the TV at the end of the checkout process.

post #1516 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Just ordered my 55ST50 using Panasonic EPP program. Comes with 2 free pair of glasses and a free HD Skype camera. Just returned a LG5600 which had great 3d but the flashlighting at the edges and corners were driving me crazy. Looking really forward to having a Plasma again. Thought I would try LCD for once but found out that I really prefer plasma. Went to BB to see if they would price match(didn't think they would) just to give it a shot. They said sorry cant do it and I said sorry then you won't get the sale, along with telling the DirecTV sales rep to leave me alone I don't want to switch! Can't wait to get it and start prepping it for Dnice's settings. First time buying direct from Panasonic, hopefully all goes well.
post #1517 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question for you Panasonic plasma owners. I currently have a Sony XBR HX929 which replaced my Samsung LN46A750. Both LCD sets. I love the POP on the LCDs along with the brightness and resolution.

Unfortunately im just not happy with the Sony. There is banding and it seems to do a horrible job with cleaning up 720p/1080i cable tv noise. The Samsung seems like it produces a sharper picture on cable broadcasts,(black levels not taken into consideration)
I am considering switching to plasma but my concern is the resolution. I have read how the new plasmas are brighter this year but my issue with plasma is the almost soft looking picture compared to LCD. Does the ST50 produce a crisp image or does it have that soft picture that i have seen on so many plasma sets? Thanks
post #1518 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:

Funny, I turned my color setting down to 40.

I hope everybody understands that you are all using different sources with the same settings, so you are all going to have different pictures!
And then there is as much different "right" pictures as there are viewers, so keep turning those colors up and down until you find what YOU like!
post #1519 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymerkramer View Post

Just ordered my 55ST50 using Panasonic EPP program. Comes with 2 free pair of glasses and a free HD Skype camera. Just returned a LG5600 which had great 3d but the flashlighting at the edges and corners were driving me crazy. Looking really forward to having a Plasma again. Thought I would try LCD for once but found out that I really prefer plasma. Went to BB to see if they would price match(didn't think they would) just to give it a shot. They said sorry cant do it and I said sorry then you won't get the sale, along with telling the DirecTV sales rep to leave me alone I don't want to switch! Can't wait to get it and start prepping it for Dnice's settings. First time buying direct from Panasonic, hopefully all goes well.

I'm under the same program with my company. Best deal for Panasonic tv out all the retailers. Now hoping price drops on the 55 so I can get it later in the summer.
post #1520 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoc59 View Post

Question for you Panasonic plasma owners. I currently have a Sony XBR HX929 which replaced my Samsung LN46A750. Both LCD sets. I love the POP on the LCDs along with the brightness and resolution.

Unfortunately im just not happy with the Sony. There is banding and it seems to do a horrible job with cleaning up 720p/1080i cable tv noise. The Samsung seems like it produces a sharper picture on cable broadcasts,(black levels not taken into consideration)
I am considering switching to plasma but my concern is the resolution. I have read how the new plasmas are brighter this year but my issue with plasma is the almost soft looking picture compared to LCD. Does the ST50 produce a crisp image or does it have that soft picture that i have seen on so many plasma sets? Thanks

I have had the same concern, but it looks like Panasonic plasmas are best bang for buck out there.
post #1521 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anyone actually calibrated their set with a sensor, besides D-Nice? I would be interested to see how his settings comapre to what others are getting.
post #1522 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minx88 View Post

Amazon is out the the glasses and it has to be sold through them.

So panasonic made a deal to sell more tvs and ship a bunch of glasses to amazon, and people thats already bought the tv hears about it and manages to use some price matching/guarantee to get a pair/moneyback and suddenly there are no glasses left to sell new tvs with?!? No wonder this industry is going under!
And reading about people returning 1-2 tvs with amazon paying the shipping bills.
I can asure you that NOBODY is making any money on deals like that.

I am glad I am not working in this industry anymore!
post #1523 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 PM

The way things are right now, can you blame people for trying to get the most value out of their $1500 purchase? Also, because of Amazon's service people continue to shop there. Industry is changing.
post #1524 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoc59 View Post

A plasma should look sharper than a lcd on ordinary SD tv, and might look a little less sharp ( but still very sharp ) on pixelmapped HD. But wont have lcd like brightness! Older plasmas does, thats why I have two (768p sets) but newer panasonics are not so punchy. But its a much better tv then any lcd!
post #1525 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 59
Hey sorry if this has been answered before, but how do I get audio from the Viera programs to output to my receiver and surround sound system? I connected the optical cable, but how do I enable it?
post #1526 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle five View Post

So panasonic made a deal to sell more tvs and ship a bunch of glasses to amazon, and people thats already bought the tv hears about it and manages to use some price matching/guarantee to get a pair/moneyback and suddenly there are no glasses left to sell new tvs with?!?

Amazon is not out of the glasses.
post #1527 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyboy View Post

The way things are right now, can you blame people for trying to get the most value out of their $1500 purchase? Also, because of Amazon's service people continue to shop there. Industry is changing.

Good point. Amazon makes money hand over fist. One reason BB is going under. The only people losing money are the trucking companies delivering and returning the tvs.
post #1528 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle five View Post

A plasma should look sharper than a lcd on ordinary SD tv, and might look a little less sharp ( but still very sharp ) on pixelmapped HD. But wont have lcd like brightness! Older plasmas does, thats why I have two (768p sets) but newer panasonics are not so punchy. But its a much better tv then any lcd!

What do you mean by pixel mapped HD?
post #1529 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barana2080 View Post

Good point. Amazon makes money hand over fist. One reason BB is going under. The only people losing money are the trucking companies delivering and returning the tvs.

The trucking companies aren't loosing anything on the deal.

post #1530 of 10016 Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:

The trucking companies aren't loosing anything on the deal.

Well Amazon kicks the **** out of them with pricing.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page