Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1801 of 10009 Old 04-22-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I see that the 65 inch models are hitting the market. Any word on when the 65vt50 is going to be available for delivery?

Within 30 days I would hope.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 10009 Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

I've seen the same problem on Samsung plasmas. Could you post the same hockey clip (or similar) using custom mode so we can verify that the issue is really not visible? Or maybe post a video where you toggle from standard to custom so we can see before/after in the same video. Thanks.

I have watched 2 complete games in Custom & it did not happen once.
I can switch to standard & it will occur withing 20 seconds.
post #1803 of 10009 Old 04-22-2012, 07:36 PM

Does anyone know how Amazon pricematch after purchase works? Purchased 60ST50 with 2 free pairs of glasses 2 weeks ago, price is down on the TV now without the glasses deal. When I got the glasses (asked for promo after I purchased TV) they basically made me buy the glasses and credited 20% of the price back to the glasses and 80% back to the TV.

Would they just add up the current cost of the TV plus 2 pairs of glasses and compare to what I paid? or does the pricematch work without the glasses promo?
post #1804 of 10009 Old 04-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadphish View Post

In custom mode you don't get the brightness spikes, but you do get "blinks" from the TV at every time a spike would normally occur. Just a quick, blank screen. Still annoying. Wasn't this an issue with 2011 Panasonics? Wasn't there eventually an update that cured it?

Oh man, so sad to hear that, it seems Fluctuating brightness is still there on the 2012 panny model. Someone correct me if im wrong cos im thinking of picking up the St50 model soon. But if there is still Fbr going on then i have to considered LED/LCD this year.
post #1805 of 10009 Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Avjunkie @hdj: "the browsers is html 5. no flash is planned.flash is in decline and will not be used"

post #1806 of 10009 Old 04-22-2012, 08:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Shifter View Post

The price just dropped on Amazon. I just emailed them and got a $77 refund for the 60" that I ordered on Friday.

Did you get the 3d glasses with your order? If so, they have you the $77 refund on top of that?
post #1807 of 10009 Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantruon View Post

Oh man, so sad to hear that, it seems Fluctuating brightness is still there on the 2012 panny model. Someone correct me if im wrong cos im thinking of picking up the St50 model soon. But if there is still Fbr going on then i have to considered LED/LCD this year.

I'm not sure if this is an acurate assesment on my part, but I don't think the ST50 is exhibiting FBr. This only happens during hockey and basketball and truly is due to the photography in arenas.

Since I have been able to reduce the symptom to the blinking effect I can actually live with this. The darn TV has the absolute best image qualty I have seen. I just stare at the TV. Even during commercials.

BB price matched in the glasses for me last week and the 3d is very impressive. Coming from someone that has only seen a few 3d movies in the theaters (and never on a TV), I am very impressed with the depth and immersion here. I've checked out HBO OnDemand and will probably pick up a 3D BD player and Tron:Legacy 3d (my favorite BD) soon.
post #1808 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 AM

I've a question for the lucky owners of these new Panasonic plasma......how is the SD content viewing on the ST50, viewed from a reasonable distance from the screen? Could you recommend the ST50 for SD material viewing above a Sony LED, that seems to have one of the best scaler on the market?
post #1809 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

I haven't heard that anywhere.

I posted the following on hdj: "Do the tvs with web browser support flash? I know this has been asked before but I've yet to see an answer."

Avjunkie won't address the question directly, when posted by me or anyone else either. However, someone responded to my question stating that some people are watching videos but that the full screen button isn't working at places like blip.tv. Avjunkie then responded to them saying that "its being looked at."

The ST50 includes web browser as one of it's features and a dual core processor isn't necessary to browse the web. It's possible that Panasonic has not fully developed the browser yet and/or are waiting for someone to write an app that will fix flash problems, at least for certain sites.

I think it's time for owners to start calling Panasonic to complain about lack of flash and any other problems like hockey pops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikediamond View Post

I agree, browsers with lack of flash support in 2012 , why?

I suspect the Panasonic browser does not support flash. Few embedded devices do, Google TV and Boxee Box being the exception.

Also, you do know that Adobe stopped releasing flash for embedded/CE devices at release 10.2. Also, embedded device flash is more than just updating from the web. So...even if their browser is flash compatible, I doubt it will play a majority of the sites that are running 10.3 or later.
http://gigaom.com/video/flash-tv-future/
post #1810 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_M View Post

Did you get the 3d glasses with your order? If so, they have you the $77 refund on top of that?

Yes, I bought the TV when they were running the free glasses special and they still refunded me the amount for the current price drop.

post #1811 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Just an FYI on flash, it's not going to be available on pannys at all so you will have to rely on the newer html 5 which it supports. Flash is on the way out.
post #1812 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Amazon has the 65st50 for just under $2700. I can get the 65st30 for under $1600. Is the 50 really worth $1,100 more than the 30?
post #1813 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Amazon has the 65st50 for just under $2700. I can get the 65st30 for under $1600. Is the 50 really worth $1,100 more than the 30?

It would be worth it to me. But is it worth it to YOU?

We can't spend your money, nor do we know what is worth what to you.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #1814 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

It would be worth it to me. But is it worth it to YOU?

We can't spend your money, nor do we know what is worth what to you.

I am sure that there is a difference in the two sets performance, and the presumption would be that the 50 performs better than the 30. However, I agree with Randy, nobody can tell you if it is $1,100 better.

I will tell you that my 55" ST30 produces an outstanding picture that I am very happy with. I can tell you that $1,100 is far too much money for me to spend to improve the picture. But that is a financial thing, as I don't have that kind of extra cash just waiting to get spent.

Apparently Randy has the money, so he can afford to be more discerning.

You might think about getting the 30 and spending the $400 or so to have it professionally calibrated. This will save you $700 and you might be even happier than if you owned an uncalibrated 50.
post #1815 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svarionman View Post

I've a question for the lucky owners of these new Panasonic plasma......how is the SD content viewing on the ST50, viewed from a reasonable distance from the screen? Could you recommend the ST50 for SD material viewing above a Sony LED, that seems to have one of the best scaler on the market?

I replaced my Sony LED that my son broke with my ST30. The LED was a 46" and the ST30 is a 55". So i can tell you that we are talking apples and oranges here. I will tell you that the LED did do a better job with sd content, but I believe that a big reason was that it was 9" smaller. I am also sitting too close to my ST30 at this moment due to a recent move. I see too many flaws in my ST30 that I wouldn't see if I was a couple feet further from the set.
post #1816 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

See post 1808.

The panny insider says that Panasonic views flash as being on the decline and not worthy of support.

The problem is that sites that allow you to watch full episodes of their televised programing require flash. Not supporting Flash is a huge problem for any web browser and personally, weak support of flash, has lead me to other browsers since there is no other option for being able to utilize many of the sites I visit and/or use. IMO, a web browser is not a full web browser if you cannot utilized the majority of sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr View Post

I suspect the Panasonic browser does not support flash. Few embedded devices do, Google TV and Boxee Box being the exception.

Also, you do know that Adobe stopped releasing flash for embedded/CE devices at release 10.2. Also, embedded device flash is more than just updating from the web. So...even if their browser is flash compatible, I doubt it will play a majority of the sites that are running 10.3 or later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Just an FYI on flash, it's not going to be available on pannys at all so you will have to rely on the newer html 5 which it supports. Flash is on the way out.

post #1817 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryanr View Post

Yeah, I speculated before that this is really about apps and apps = $$.

BTW, thanks for the link- a lot of good stuff there.

post #1818 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Shifter View Post

Yes, I bought the TV when they were running the free glasses special and they still refunded me the amount for the current price drop.

Not me. I didn't get the glasses, so when I called today about the price match and glasses, they said I could have either the glasses or the price match (their rationale being that the $1899 price was for the TV and glasses, and the current price is just for the TV, so different packages). I don't really care about 3D content so I argued a bit, but not much, and just took the price match.
post #1819 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadphish View Post

I'm not sure if this is an acurate assesment on my part, but I don't think the ST50 is exhibiting FBr. This only happens during hockey and basketball and truly is due to the photography in arenas.

Since I have been able to reduce the symptom to the blinking effect I can actually live with this.

During Penguins vs. Flyers yesterday, blinking was bad. But it was JUST blinking. No reduction in brightness.

But get this, during Bruins, vs. Capitals, no blinking, no FBr, nothing. So although they were both on my NBC channel, something was different in regards to how they handle the flashes at the source end.

I should have fired up one of my LCDs to see if the blinking occurred on the Penguins/Flyers game, but I had too much other stuff going on.
post #1820 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridug View Post

Thanks for the quick update, it is much appreciated! Are there any others then that do work with the ST50? Guess i'll have to look for both stats on them, IR & bluetooth.

There is a person over at HDJ that said he has tested the 2012 Samsung SSG-4100GB glasses and that they do properly sync and work with the ST50. The 2011 Samsung glasses will not properly work with the new Panasonic's though. He claims that he thought they had a better picture than the new Panasonic glasses but his girlfriend thought the Panasonic's had a better picture. When my set arrives Thursday I will go buy a set and test. They are half the price of the Panasonic's, would be a great extra set when needed.
post #1821 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Part of the price difference is probably due to the fact the Samsung glasses need batteries (and weird ones at that), and the Panasonics are rechargeable. The Pannys sure look better too.
post #1822 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Part of the price difference is probably due to the fact the Samsung glasses need batteries (and weird ones at that), and the Panasonics are rechargeable. The Pannys sure look better too.

Amazon has the 4100's for $19.99 and a 5 pack of the batteries for $2.00. Samsung claims 150 hours of use with the 2012 glasses. The Cr2025 is a pretty common battery for calculators and small kids toys. All of the big box department stores sell the batteries. Could buy three pairs for the price of one Panasonic pair. If they work would serve great for the kids friends when they are over. Best Buy does not sell the 2012 Samsung glasses yet so I might wait until they stock them to try one out so I can return easily if they don't work. I got in on the free glasses deal so I will be able to compare the two glasses.
post #1823 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:

See post 1808.

The panny insider says that Panasonic views flash as being on the decline and not worthy of support.

The problem is that sites that allow you to watch full episodes of their televised programing require flash. Not supporting Flash is a huge problem for any web browser and personally, weak support of flash, has lead me to other browsers since there is no other option for being able to utilize many of the sites I visit and/or use. IMO, a web browser is not a full web browser if you cannot utilized the majority of sites.

It's true that multimedia in the browser development is turning to HTML5 but it will be many years before it overtakes flash. Not supporting flash is not in the best interest of customers.

post #1824 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

During Penguins vs. Flyers yesterday, blinking was bad. But it was JUST blinking. No reduction in brightness.

But get this, during Bruins, vs. Capitals, no blinking, no FBr, nothing. So although they were both on my NBC channel, something was different in regards to how they handle the flashes at the source end.

I believe it. I think I have noticed the blinking on some games, but not on others, too. Possibly the cause is the specific arenas? Like I said this is something I can live with based on the incredible image quality delivered.

I have asked this before, but have yet to receive a response:

Can anyone tell me if the 2011 Pannys got a fix for this? Was it early on in the model year, or much later?
post #1825 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Liked: 12
Will the ST50 support HBO GO eventually?
post #1826 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

I have asked this before, but have yet to receive a response:

Can anyone tell me if the 2011 Pannys got a fix for this? Was it early on in the model year, or much later?

Should be able to find one or more threads dealing with FBr on the 2011 Panasonics, which would provider greater detail. But - from memory - Pan provided an Update around mid-year: most new panels after late July / early Aug arrived with the update installed, older panels required a service call.

Not everyone noticed FBr before the update; some people continue to see it after the update.

Content was (is) also important, with Hockey (and sometimes Basketball) seeming to get the majority of complaints.

(We had a July Build 60" ST30 that came with the Update installed. Personally, have only Noticed FBr in a couple of scenes, and then only after having it pointed out. Eldest Son says he has seen it repeatedly in almost all of the movies we've viewed --- on the 4 (FOUR) different Working (5th had a cracked panel) 2011 Pan plasmas we've had in house. YMMV.)
post #1827 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I had same decision to make and in the end (this was actually yesterday ) I went with the 65ST50. I expect this will be my main TV for at least 5 years and probably longer and the preliminary reviews says that the ST50 is on par with the VT30 as far as PQ. In other words, close to the best of 2011.
So I decided I wanted the latest and greatest and did not want to have any regrets for the next five years so for me it was worth the extra $1000+.
Now if I was strapped for cash then I would have gone with the ST30 as it is (probably by far) a better "value for money" proposition and from all accounts also a great plasma with exceptional PQ.
post #1828 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikediamond View Post

Will the ST50 support HBO GO eventually?

Got Xbox live?
post #1829 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

It's true that multimedia in the browser development is turning to HTML5 but it will be many years before it overtakes flash. Not supporting flash is not in the best interest of customers.

I completely agree and anyone who owns a 2012 panny should make a lot of noise about it to. There's no reason, that I know of, that they can't install it through an firmware update or a file that we could down load to a thumb drive.

post #1830 of 10009 Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I completely agree and anyone who owns a 2012 panny should make a lot of noise about it to. There's no reason, that I know of, that they can't install it through an firmware update or a file that we could down load to a thumb drive.

Because Adobe owns & controls the updates...and they have stopped future development.

It is not the same as updating your desktop browser. It is not just a matter of updating a file; as Adobe "Flash for CE Devices" is a different beast from Flash for Windows/Mobile/Linux etc. Each would have to be built for the specific processor by Adobe, and certified by the device manufacturer and Adobe. In other words, this is not going to happen.

Same problem Boxee and Google TV are running into.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page