Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

If he wanted it here then it would already be here or he will post it on that thread himself.

And what was the point of this post? He removed them already...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 07:37 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by acevesf View Post

And what was the point of this post? He removed them already...

exactly
post #2103 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Did you mean that you really couldN'T care less? . But to be honest, you paid for a set that advertises a feature and regardless whether or not you couldn't care less if it works or not you're entitled to have a TV that works. It's up to you but I would at least go to a nearby electronics store that carry's the ST50 and try your SD card in one of the demos just to be sure your TV isn't defective. No need to give Panasonic good money and settle for a set with an obvious defect. If your card doesn't work in the store demo then it could be just that particular card that the ST50 isn't compatible with. It's best to know.

Guilty as charged. I'll have to look into the firmware thing... mine has updated twice via the wi-fi connection so far and been fine but that could be an issue if update via USB is not a substitute. Otherwise I doubt I'll ever use the SD slot, and it's not worth my time to even lift the panel off the wall or make arrangements for a tech visit. *However*, if anything else needs looked at I'll add it to the list. Speaking of which, has anyone figured out what last week's firmware update did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Thanks for your impressions. It's comments like this about their screen however that make me wonder if

a) anybody who is having an issue with a faint line on the right of the screen should think about an exchange since it's not on all sets

or

b) some people just aren't noticing the line because it's very faint, and it is on all sets due to the way they manufacture these sets

It would be nice to know one way or the other if this line is normal or if it is something that is only on some sets - that would put an end to wondering if it's something to worry about.

Always possible but I've gone over things fairly carefully - and not from across the room but up front and personal. In fact I just noticed for the first time some minor IR after running some Pluge tests to refine a few settings. It quickly faded, but cannot see any other artifacts on the solid tone panels. I had noticed that my panel did not show the entire image - (Spears & Munsil overscan test) even with the aspect set to show 'all' (HDMI 2) I had 1-2 pixel overscan on the left and bottom edges - until I remembered I had the orbiter on and that was it. Duh.
post #2104 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM

I can't find anything about the Samsung glasses working on the st50's at all I guess I might just have to buy some n see
post #2105 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I can't find anything about the Samsung glasses working on the st50's at all I guess I might just have to buy some n see

There is a post at HDJ where a poster tested the Samsung 2012 SSG-4100 glasses and they did sync and work. He noted that they did lose sync twice during the movie but reconnected within a second or two. He noted that the Panasonic's never lost sync during the same testing. Hopefully firmware issues that are correctable.
post #2106 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 AM

I am looking for an affordable wall mount for the Panasonic ST50 60 inch. Give me some options and what you think on if I should purchase a low profile or one that can tilt. The plasma will be mounted right about my entertainment bench which is 22 inches tall so the tv will be at mounted at eye level.
post #2107 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat120 View Post

I am looking for an affordable wall mount for the Panasonic ST50 60 inch. Give me some options and what you think on if I should purchase a low profile or one that can tilt. The plasma will be mounted right about my entertainment bench which is 22 inches tall so the tv will be at mounted at eye level.

Monoprice.com has all types at extremely reasonable prices.

All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental. - Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

post #2108 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

It would be nice to know one way or the other if this line is normal or if it is something that is only on some sets - that would put an end to wondering if it's something to worry about.

Based on responses earlier in the thread, it's a common occurrence. I don't know if it happens to every set, but fact is I can only notice it on slides and not even at normal viewing distance - just not worth making a fuss over when I lucked out getting a set basically issue-free (so far - knock on wood).

If it bothers you, I would call Panasonic. If you don't notice it during normal use and just think some people might have gotten better panels than you... I'd try and forget about it and just enjoy your TV.
post #2109 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:

Not sure what your price range is but I went with a Sanus LT25-B1 tilt mount. I wanted to be able to angle the panel down a little - but didn't need it to swing to the side at all. This mount positions the panel about 3" - 3-1/2" from the wall which isn't as low profile as some, but maybe helps a little with heat/ventilation? Anyway that mount covers a broad range of mount hole patterns and on the 55ST50 should allow me to reposition the panel over about a 6 inch range. I knew I was going to change to a lower equipment cabinet eventually so wanted to drop it a bit when that happened. That mount seemed fine, plenty strong, although I did substitute 3-1/2" long lags for the 2-1/2" lags it came with. (It did come with a nice complete bag of hardware).
post #2110 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
post #2111 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 12:56 PM

Tried the Samsung 3050gb glasses today, they did not work. But looks like the ones we should be using are the 4100's. Unfortunately best buy doesn't carry those so I'll order from amazon( thanks for the info jaymer)
post #2112 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I already wrote the SSG-4100 work pretty well. I don't know when exactly they loose connection, but it seems that when I move closer to my girlfriend this could happen when I stay away from her there is no connection loss but I'm not 100% sure.

I would recommend them for user who have to wear glasses, coz the Panasonic glasses has bad reflections from the glossy frame you see when the 3D glasses are placed further away from the eyes cos of the correction glasses.

You see in the last pic the border standing in front of the glass and causes reflections.

P *a *n *a *s *o *n *i *c ** S *T *W *5 *0
post #2113 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
My brain and 3D don't work well together. We were in BB today checking out the ST50 and after 30 seconds of watching 3D demo I spent the next 3 hours nauseous. I'm hoping it was the 'glasses' set up for display but I have my doubts.

In other news, the 80" Sharp LED is gorgeous! There have been some major improvements to LED off-angle viewing, it was as good as the 64" Samsung plasma just next to it. If only I had $4500...

post #2114 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 03:34 PM

Liked: 14
just in case its of interest to anyone, just came from BB.
checked out 55" for a few minutes.
the screen was warm. almost hot. must almost mention that it was running the regular best buy ad loop with the pretty girl. it has a lot of white screen. a real lot.
I listened to it very closely. (sound was off. regular BB background noise. which is to say that it was noisy. but I could still make what I think was a pretty fair assessment).

the point is that I was listening for buzz. I heard absolutely none. the tv was silent.

the picture was really really nice.

I'm one decent sale away from owning one. am thinking 55" right now.
post #2115 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 04:42 PM

After owning a Panasonic plasma that just recently died and gave me ten blinking lights, and reading many reviews on AVS, I bought a 55" ST50 yesterday, along with two of the Panasonic glasses and a new power conditioner. My Oppo blu-ray player has not been working right starting when my previous tv died, I'm thinking they may have been fried? I used CNET's calibration settings and the picture is much better than my previous generation back from approx 2007.

Very 3D like while watching Braveheart on HD cable. Haven't tried much blu-ray because my Oppo won't play sound correctly, but the picture looked amazing for what few minutes I watched. It is lighter, looks better, and runs cooler, which I like. Had trouble finding wireless, still working on that. Blacks at times are very good, I think it depends more on the signal because there have been very black scenes.

Picture looks a little off center but it may be normal? Will let a professional look at it within a few weeks for a professional evaluation and calibration. Ovarall I am very happy with the tv. Speakers are weak. Hard not to listen without my receiver.

The Elite is better, not enough to spend thousands of dollars more for me. I liked the Sony 929 too but I try not to buy Sony products (sorry).

Edit: Off center picture was also signal dependent.
post #2116 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat120

Will the mount above tilt and can it adjust so it is not tilted at all, so it sits flush? I would like on that can do both, tilt it I want it to and sit flush if I want it to. If it will not please recommend on that will. Thanks.
post #2117 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 646
post #2118 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat120

Will the mount above tilt and can it adjust so it is not tilted at all, so it sits flush? I would like on that can do both, tilt it I want it to and sit flush if I want it to. If it will not please recommend on that will. Thanks.

Yes, that's how tilt mounts work. They don't have to be tilted at all. It's 1.9" deep when set flush.
post #2119 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendtoy View Post

New owner of a 55ST50.

I was an early adopter the first time around so this is replacing a 34" Toshiba CRT HDTV. Should be a nice upgrade

Todays add in the Best Buy circular was $1,549. I went to get it and at the Duluth MN store it was also the managers special which knocked off an additional $186.

Out the door with tax and a cord cover kit was $1,498.

any idea if other BB's might match your BB's manager's special??
post #2120 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 08:12 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas51 View Post

just in case its of interest to anyone, just came from BB.
checked out 55" for a few minutes.
the screen was warm. almost hot. must almost mention that it was running the regular best buy ad loop with the pretty girl. it has a lot of white screen. a real lot.
I listened to it very closely. (sound was off. regular BB background noise. which is to say that it was noisy. but I could still make what I think was a pretty fair assessment).

the point is that I was listening for buzz. I heard absolutely none. the tv was silent.

the picture was really really nice.

I'm one decent sale away from owning one. am thinking 55" right now.

I was at BB earlier myself for about 2hrs comparing the ST50, PNE & UN ES. I'm either planning on exchanging my 55D8000 for a 60GT50 or a UN60ES8000. Unfortunately the BB I was at didn't have any GT's on display or any PNE7000/8000, so the only side by side I got to witness was the 55ST50 vs UN55ES7000. During that video loop they play, Hockey & a scene with mountains was shown and that's where I kept leaning towards LED. My friend who was with me said the same thing. He said he liked the look of the plasmas but every time a scene with white colors came on, he was drawn to the LED. I couldn't get over how whites looked on a plasma...They were almost an off-white/grey. A couple of TV's down was the PN51E6500 and that one seemed a lil better with whites but not much.

So is this a settings thing or am I just being 'wowed' by brighter LED's? Would the GT be any different?
post #2121 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

I was at BB earlier myself for about 2hrs comparing the ST50, PNE & UN ES. I'm either planning on exchanging my 55D8000 for a 60GT50 or a UN60ES8000. Unfortunately the BB I was at didn't have any GT's on display or any PNE7000/8000, so the only side by side I got to witness was the 55ST50 vs UN55ES7000. During that video loop they play, Hockey & a scene with mountains was shown and that's where I kept leaning towards LED. My friend who was with me said the same thing. He said he liked the look of the plasmas but every time a scene with white colors came on, he was drawn to the LED. I couldn't get over how whites looked on a plasma...They were almost an off-white/grey. A couple of TV's down was the PN51E6500 and that one seemed a lil better with whites but not much.

So is this a settings thing or am I just being 'wowed' by brighter LED's? Would the GT be any different?

There is just too much light at BB to get a good idea of a plasmas pic quality. My st30 is not as bright as the st50 and whites look as white as white can be. Now if you watch progressive commercials and hockey all day then LCD might be better for you. If you compare a plasma to an LCD in a dark room watching a movie then the plasma will win out easily.
post #2122 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

There is just too much light at BB to get a good idea of a plasmas pic quality. My st30 is not as bright as the st50 and whites look as white as white can be. Now if you watch progressive commercials and hockey all day then LCD might be better for you. If you compare a plasma to an LCD in a dark room watching a movie then the plasma will win out easily.

My living room is definitely dark, that's why I'm leaning towards plasma when I do the exchange. I'm tired of seeing the imperfections of LCD/LED in my dark room. The section in BB where these sets were, was pretty dim. It just seemed like the Panasonic might have been on a bad setting or something. It was a nice natural looking picture but once a white screen came on, it was not a bright white. Even the Samsung a couple of TV's down seemed to handle whites better.
post #2123 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 PM

I'm not very educated in these things, but the 55" ST50 I saw at BB today displayed alot of white in the ad loop that I saw for a couple minutes. I thought the white looked fine.

it never crossed my mind that it was grey or not a good white color.

I am not the best critic for this. but thats my 2 cents fwiw.
post #2124 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ The same here. White looked good.

post #2125 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Your retinas are burned by lcd/led or you've been staring into the sun too much.

Pure bright white does not exist in nature.

Today, I saw a commercial that features a white truck and I never noticed that it consisted of several shades of white before while watching our LCD tvs. Sure I think the whites on my GT50 can look better and they will once the set is professionally calibrated.

post #2126 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:

Your retinas are burned by lcd/led or you've been staring into the sun too much.

Today, I saw a commercial that features a white truck and I never noticed that it consisted of several shades of white before while watching our LCD tvs. Sure I think the whites on my GT50 can look better and they will once the set is professionally calibrated.

Lol
post #2127 of 10009 Old 04-29-2012, 10:43 PM

You dont need one that tilts. Mine is mounted about 10 inches higher than eye (from the middle) and the picture is amazing. I purchased the slimmest I could find. The brand was Focal or Focus. Did I mention Blu Ray and HD movies are superb!!!
post #2128 of 10009 Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas51 View Post

any idea if other BB's might match your BB's manager's special??

Curious on this as well lol
post #2129 of 10009 Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the term used was 'looked fine'. Nobody claimed that it was 'pure bright white'.

post #2130 of 10009 Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

That's only one person out of dozens here that own the TV. I can't recall anyone else reporting this. And right after he made the statement you quoted, he said:

"I'm not sure if this is an accurate assessment on my part, but I don't think the ST50 is exhibiting FBr. This only happens during hockey and basketball and truly is due to the photography in arenas.

Since I have been able to reduce the symptom to the blinking effect I can actually live with this. The darn TV has the absolute best image qualty I have seen. I just stare at the TV. Even during commercials."

And then this:
"I think I have noticed the blinking on some games, but not on others, too. Possibly the cause is the specific arenas? Like I said this is something I can live with based on the incredible image quality delivered."

No doubt he is having some sort of issue from time to time and i don't think he's done any testing to find the cause of his occasional spikes, whether it's his source, or the content, or the broadcast, or if it's a defect in his particular TV. Are there any other owners you're aware of that are experiencing what he is experiencing?

You can't condemn a whole line of TVs based on one owners issue. I'd like to see if others are having the same issue and hope they would do some testing to find the cause. For all we know, it could just be a defective HDMI cable or his STB causing the problem.

May not be the best quote to quote but I did notice this while watching a hockey game yesterday on my ST50. It was like a quick flicker, even audible, and you could see the picture have a quick, milliseconds quick, flash of brightness. It was weird!

Happened multiple times, I'll test some more on some more hockey games but wanted to chime in that I did see this as well.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - P60st50 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page