Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 74 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 72  73  74 75  76  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk]
HD70GUY's Avatar HD70GUY 12:15 PM 05-01-2012
MoggSquad,

Thanks for the reply, good to know how long other are waiting. I'm assuming that's Amazon you ordered from.

HD70GUY's Avatar HD70GUY 12:17 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by svgtom View Post

I ordered mine on a Friday from Amazon and had it delivered the following Thursday. I could have had it as early as Tuesday but scheduling it for Thursday worked better for me. Sorry!

That's what I was hoping for. Congrats!
HD70GUY's Avatar HD70GUY 12:18 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Shifter View Post

I was a bit disappointed with how long the TV took to arrive from Amazon. It was roughly a week and a half. After dropping nearly two grand I was pretty geeked to get my TV, and it was a bit agonizing waiting that long.

I finally got my set yesterday, and placed the order on April 20th.

At this point I'd like to be disappointed like that!
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 12:22 PM 05-01-2012
Just called Panasonic and asked them again if DTS is supported and they said no. Last week I was told yes. So much for hoping Panasonic would offer better support than Samsung. Doesn't anybody know their products anymore? Sales people in Best Buy/(name your favorite retailer) are idiots, and the manufacturer is no better. Where would we all be without these forums?

I also asked about the motion smoothing being applied when playing files off the media player and she told me that the option for 3:2 pulldown is only available when it receives HDMI signals, not directly from the USB port. She also put me on hold and came back after a few minutes and said they tried some files and the "guy" said that it was my perception that it looked like motion smoothing was being applied, but that it was fine in reality. I insisted that it was applying some sort of motion smoothing and they said it shouldn't be and I was imagining it.

I then told her that it was not my perception, because it looked correct when I used my blu-ray player to play the file, but had that distinct "soap opera effect" or "cartoony look" as she put it when I played it on the Panasonic. I also told her that other people have commented on this in the forums, so it is not just my perception. My friend also noticed it in the same room with me.

At that point, she asked me if I was aware of any others on the forum who had called Panasonic about this, and I said "not to my knowledge". She asked me to mention in the forum that if others are experiencing this motion smoothing issue during media file playback with 23.976 material (I'm not sure about other framerates yet) to please call Panasonic and report it. So bull3964, and others who are noticing this, please help us all out and give Panasonic a call and report the issue - it took me about 15 minutes total. Be polite but don't settle for lame excuses like "it's just your perception". If enough people can call about this she said then they might actually look into the issue, but not based off one phone call.

In case others are wondering why I don't just use my blu-ray player then, it's because my Samsung blu-ray player is crap and freezes and stutters constantly when playing any media file (it stuttered probably a hundred times or more last night while I was watching some files - sometimes 3 or 4 stutters per minute, and no it's not the files, it's the lousy player since it stutters on discs also).
jaymerkramer's Avatar jaymerkramer 12:45 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD70GUY View Post

Okay so I ordered my set from Abe's of Maine on Thursday 4/19. It took a whole 24 hours before the pushy sales guy called me back trying to sell extras for dollars on the penny. I refused other extras but did pay $50 extra for the white glove delivery, down from the initial $150 he offered. I was on the cusp of cancelling and just going Amazon, but my card had already been charged and god knows how long I would have had to wait for a refund.

I was very disappointed when I finally received a tracking number on Tuesday the 24th. Still I figured I was only 3-5 buisness days away from a TV at my door. Well Today after waiting an entire week for any kind of shipping update, the tracking still said departed Edison NJ 4/26, I decided to call the shipping company. Well I got a quick response that they would be "in my area" early next week because they don't have enough deliveries this week!! Are you effing kidding me? The TV should be here at the very latest tomorrow, but because they don't have any other deliveries in my area they are going to sit on it for an extra week. Basically they have had the TV in the regional warehouse since 4/26 or 27 and are just not delivering to my area all week due to lack of buisiness. No wonder they have no buisiness if they just decide to deliver stuff whenever they please!

Needless to say I am not ordering from Abe's again. I should have done more vendor research before buying. I did research Abe's when I almost bought my Canon 60d from them, and as a Camera seller their ratings were spotty, but not bad at all. Now I am going back and looking at them as a TV seller and all I see is bad news. Please do yourself a favor and buy from one of the forum sponsors or Amazon!

P.S. Just to make me feel better/worse can anyone tell me how long it took from inital order to see your set arrive at your door?

Ordered mine from Panasonic EPP direct on 4-16 and Pilot delivered on 4-26. I didn't think that was to bad being that it was free delivery on a 90 pound item. Could have went to Best Buy and brought it home that day but I was willing to wait 10 days to save a couple of hundred dollars. I was getting a little anxious as the delivery date got closer but that just made the set that much more enjoyable when it arrived.
MoggSquad's Avatar MoggSquad 12:47 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD70GUY View Post

MoggSquad,

Thanks for the reply, good to know how long other are waiting. I'm assuming that's Amazon you ordered from.

Yes, both from Amazon. Also, when I returned the Sharp TV due to clouding, Amazon refunded me my money once they verified the TV was in the carrier's possession although I don't think that's common.
Mister Shifter's Avatar Mister Shifter 12:51 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD70GUY View Post

At this point I'd like to be disappointed like that!

I guess 10 days isn't horrible, especially when shipping is free.
sage11x's Avatar sage11x 12:54 PM 05-01-2012
@eagle

Not great! Lol! My S30 media player pales to compare to any one of the boxes connected to it-- heck, the oppo plays more files than than the set does! Not that the performance is bad, per se, it just doesn't recognize a fair chunk of the files I throw at it!
Pretty much all I use it for is SD picture slide shows. I find that to be a really nice feature on panasonic's as you can throw up some vacation photos or pictures from the last social event during parties or holidays. It's a nice background and works as a conversation starter.
HD70GUY's Avatar HD70GUY 12:59 PM 05-01-2012
@jaymerkramer

I'm curious what the actual EPP discount is? Could you PM me what you paid? My company has EPP agreements with dozens of companies and would likely add Panny if I suggested it.
mr_mash's Avatar mr_mash 01:04 PM 05-01-2012
Sorry to bother.....Ive been trying to keep up with all these threads...especially the st50...and Im patiently waiting for the ST50 to drop in price. I know its going to be several months.

Still im trying to read up on reviews....and I found this one at televisioninfo.com

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

Wasnt the greatest review ....was wondering should I be worried about this review?

Others Ive read sound fantastic
RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters 01:24 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_mash View Post

Sorry to bother.....Ive been trying to keep up with all these threads...especially the st50...and Im patiently waiting for the ST50 to drop in price. I know its going to be several months.

Still im trying to read up on reviews....and I found this one at televisioninfo.com

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

Wasnt the greatest review ....was wondering should I be worried about this review? Others Ive read sound fantastic

Television Info dot com is well known for not knowing what they're talking about. That review has already been dismissed as being woefully inaccurate and somewhat contradictory.
RandyWalters's Avatar RandyWalters 01:32 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Shifter View Post

I was a bit disappointed with how long the TV took to arrive from Amazon. It was roughly a week and a half. After dropping nearly two grand I was pretty geeked to get my TV, and it was a bit agonizing waiting that long. I finally got my set yesterday, and placed the order on April 20th.

When you ordered the TV, did you choose scheduled shipping and pick your desired delivery date and 2-hour delivery window on that day? Or did you just order the TV and not choose a date or time window?

If it's the latter, then the TV can take anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks to arrive. If it's the former, they always deliver it on the date that you chose, although sometimes they get delayed and miss the 2-hour time window.
Jammers10's Avatar Jammers10 01:37 PM 05-01-2012
Well i just pulled the trigger on the Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 50-Inch 1080p Full HD 3D Plasma TV from Amazon. Just hope i don't find out i should have gone for a bigger size. LOL
acevesf's Avatar acevesf 01:45 PM 05-01-2012
taking my 55 back for a 60 later today...
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 01:49 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Television Info dot com is well known for not knowing what they're talking about. That review has already been dismissed as being woefully inaccurate and somewhat contradictory.

Agreed. Their claim that the St50 is dim is puzzling. I find the set to be plenty bright, and that's with the brightness set at mid. I think the image looks fantastic so far from what I've seen.
etc6849's Avatar etc6849 02:29 PM 05-01-2012
Stupid question: should all of the buttons on the remote light up? The bottom transport buttons (ff, rew, play etc), the arrow keys and the RGBY soft keys do not light up for me?
MoggSquad's Avatar MoggSquad 02:33 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

Stupid question: should all of the buttons on the remote light up? The bottom transport buttons (ff, rew, play etc), the arrow keys and the RGBY soft keys do not light up for me?

Mine do not either, but I will be using a Logitech universal.
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 02:41 PM 05-01-2012
No those buttons do not light up for some silly reason. I guess that saves them about a penny per remote.
wacompton's Avatar wacompton 02:45 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Agreed. Their claim that the St50 is dim is puzzling. I find the set to be plenty bright, and that's with the brightness set at mid. I think the image looks fantastic so far from what I've seen.

Is the image markedly better than the 64D7000 you returned? I was able to get the FBr manual fix to work on my 64D7000 and it has definitely helped. That was the only complaint I had that would tempt toward the 65ST50, unless it's picture quality was just heads and shoulders above the Samsung.

Thoughts?
etc6849's Avatar etc6849 02:55 PM 05-01-2012
Reminds me of the Viera Remote app that cannot turn the tv on, but can turn it off! How dumb is that?

What makes me mad is that the GT50 and VT50 can be turned on with the app, just not the ST50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

No those buttons do not light up for some silly reason. I guess that saves them about a penny per remote.


bull3964's Avatar bull3964 03:18 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

So bull3964, and others who are noticing this, please help us all out and give Panasonic a call and report the issue - it took me about 15 minutes total. Be polite but don't settle for lame excuses like "it's just your perception". If enough people can call about this she said then they might actually look into the issue, but not based off one phone call.

I'm not sure that will help at all. From my communication with the Panasonic insider at HDJ, this is intentional and not a bug. This is how they are choosing to handle 24fps material so I doubt they are going to change it.

the xT50 line isn't unique to this. Apparently it was reported on the xT30 line as well.
MSUcougar's Avatar MSUcougar 03:18 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUcougar View Post

New 55ST50 owner, happy with the set so far after finally completing the 100-hr prep.

Doing some 3D viewing for the first time last night, I encountered a problem. Watching a 3D program on Comcast OnDemand, everything was working fine until in the middle of the program, the TV kicked itself out of 3D mode back to displaying the top and bottom images. I had to manually turn 3D mode back on with the remote. This happened 4 times during 30 minutes of viewing. Is this a problem with the TV or with Comcast?

Separate 3D question... I have the Panasonic glasses... I had to cycle them off and back on again every time I started a new program... is this normal?

Anybody else experienced these symptoms while viewing 3D programming? Any idea what's causing it or how to correct it?
mr_mash's Avatar mr_mash 03:19 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Television Info dot com is well known for not knowing what they're talking about. That review has already been dismissed as being woefully inaccurate and somewhat contradictory.

Thks for the reply Randy........
sage11x's Avatar sage11x 04:39 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I understand how you feel, but you shouldn't have quoted the very information that you are complaining about. The poster seems to have deleted the material. Now it's only present in your post as a quaote. Maybe you should delete the information in question from your quote.

Also, AVS policy is that when you have a negative reaction to a post it should be reported to the moderators and you shouldn't get directly involved in a confrontation.

I edited out the link in question when I quoted his post.

And there was no confrontation so no reason to waste a moderators time or earn a fellow contributing member a strike for something that was a simple mistake in judgement.

I've gone back and deleted the entire post per your suggestion.
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 04:58 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacompton View Post

Is the image markedly better than the 64D7000 you returned? I was able to get the FBr manual fix to work on my 64D7000 and it has definitely helped. That was the only complaint I had that would tempt toward the 65ST50, unless it's picture quality was just heads and shoulders above the Samsung.

Thoughts?

Well I'm gonna be watching a whole lotta stuff over the next week so at the moment I haven't had too much time with the tv yet, but I'll definitely be posting some more thoughts in the coming days. I'm glad you managed to deal with the FBr issue with your Samsung because it was killing me. I think the blacks did look deeper. Again, I'll have to watch more content but I was quite impressed with how stable the image was, and how deep and rich the color looked. The Samsung was quite nice too so if you did solve the FBr issue then I can't say if you will think it's worth the trouble. I haven't tried out any 3D yet either but I'm definitely gonna check that out too since my tv came with glasses as part of the Best Buy deal last weekend.
HLdan's Avatar HLdan 05:01 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD70GUY View Post

Okay so I ordered my set from Abe's of Maine on Thursday 4/19. It took a whole 24 hours before the pushy sales guy called me back trying to sell extras for dollars on the penny. I refused other extras but did pay $50 extra for the white glove delivery, down from the initial $150 he offered. I was on the cusp of cancelling and just going Amazon, but my card had already been charged and god knows how long I would have had to wait for a refund.

I was very disappointed when I finally received a tracking number on Tuesday the 24th. Still I figured I was only 3-5 buisness days away from a TV at my door. Well Today after waiting an entire week for any kind of shipping update, the tracking still said departed Edison NJ 4/26, I decided to call the shipping company. Well I got a quick response that they would be "in my area" early next week because they don't have enough deliveries this week!! Are you effing kidding me? The TV should be here at the very latest tomorrow, but because they don't have any other deliveries in my area they are going to sit on it for an extra week. Basically they have had the TV in the regional warehouse since 4/26 or 27 and are just not delivering to my area all week due to lack of buisiness. No wonder they have no buisiness if they just decide to deliver stuff whenever they please!

Needless to say I am not ordering from Abe's again. I should have done more vendor research before buying. I did research Abe's when I almost bought my Canon 60d from them, and as a Camera seller their ratings were spotty, but not bad at all. Now I am going back and looking at them as a TV seller and all I see is bad news. Please do yourself a favor and buy from one of the forum sponsors or Amazon!

P.S. Just to make me feel better/worse can anyone tell me how long it took from inital order to see your set arrive at your door?

No jokes but for a minute there I thought I had written you're entire post save for the model of TV. I ordered a 55GT50 from Abe's almost two weeks ago and also paid extra for the upgraded shipping. I received the exact same horrible service from them as you did. After ordering I got an email from someone at Abe's so-called "Panasonic HD Team" advising me to call them ASAP. I knew it was just a pushy salesman that lured me to call them so he could pitch the extended warranty down my throat. He tried several shady sales tactics until I told him that I was buying the warranty through Panasonic. He already lied and said they only offered 90 days labor and I had to carry in the TV. Panasonic said they have a one year P&L with in-home service for my size of TV.

My tracking information never updated past the first day showing it was being shipped from NY to my state. After 10 days I called the trucking company and asked why the tracking had not been updated and he wasn't helpful. Afterwards I called Abe's and spoke to a very rude guy who claimed to be the CS manager. After I threatened to cancel the whole deal he apologized and took care of things and now they are delivering it tomorrow morning, plus he gave me an extra $100 restaurant gift card to use. I'm not at all pleased with their customer service and after this TV delivery I won't be dealing with them either.
I have absolutely no idea how Abe's managed to get such great ratings on Resellerratings.com?
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 05:02 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull3964 View Post

I'm not sure that will help at all. From my communication with the Panasonic insider at HDJ, this is intentional and not a bug. This is how they are choosing to handle 24fps material so I doubt they are going to change it.

the xT50 line isn't unique to this. Apparently it was reported on the xT30 line as well.

You mean the ST50 line isn't unique to this?

That's too bad to hear though. That really makes me wonder what they were thinking at Panasonic. Why would anybody who buys a plasma actually want to see motion interpolation forced on even when it is off? I'd love to hear somebody there try and explain their reasoning. It makes everything look like it was shot on video like behind-the-scenes footage of the film instead of watching the film itself.

A more important question is: how about the GT50 line? Can anybody comment if that line also does this with 23.976 content when played at 60Hz?
kevin_mahaney's Avatar kevin_mahaney 05:36 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

You mean the ST50 line isn't unique to this?

That's too bad to hear though. That really makes me wonder what they were thinking at Panasonic. Why would anybody who buys a plasma actually want to see motion interpolation forced on even when it is off? I'd love to hear somebody there try and explain their reasoning. It makes everything look like it was shot on video like behind-the-scenes footage of the film instead of watching the film itself.

A more important question is: how about the GT50 line? Can anybody comment if that line also does this with 23.976 content when played at 60Hz?

Wouldn't a good solution be to set the BD player to output 60Hz so it does the conversion rather than the TV? That way, you could at least see which handles it to your liking and use your preferable converter.
mikediamond's Avatar mikediamond 06:01 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

You mean the ST50 line isn't unique to this?

That's too bad to hear though. That really makes me wonder what they were thinking at Panasonic. Why would anybody who buys a plasma actually want to see motion interpolation forced on even when it is off? I'd love to hear somebody there try and explain their reasoning. It makes everything look like it was shot on video like behind-the-scenes footage of the film instead of watching the film itself.

A more important question is: how about the GT50 line? Can anybody comment if that line also does this with 23.976 content when played at 60Hz?

I think the reasoning is , the TV is simply incapable of displaying true 24p, so they had to choose the next best option?
htwaits's Avatar htwaits 07:23 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

And there was no confrontation so no reason to waste a moderators time or earn a fellow contributing member a strike for something that was a simple mistake in judgment.

Still it's the AVS policy that we shouldn't be correcting each other unless it's about the accuracy of technical information. I deleted my post to you too.
Tags: Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
First ... 72  73  74 75  76  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop