Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 86 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2551 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

Well i got my Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST50 50-Inch all set up and it's amazing how much more vivid and big the picture looks moving up from a 42" Plasma to a 50" TV. I thought maybe i should have gone up maybe to a 55" TV but this one is the right size for me at least for now. Can't wait until the 100 hours is up so i can start watching DVD's on it.

DVDs ? You need to hook up some blue rays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 10:12 AM

Liked: 10
Need a blu-ray player first. LOL
post #2553 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammers10 View Post

Need a blu-ray player first. LOL

Do it allready! This is my fourth HDTV, but my first Blu-Ray player except the PS3 I briefly had in 2006-7. The cost of disks, and lack of rental variety has always kept me from getting one. Right now Blu-Rays are main stream and cheap. The 3D Blu-Ray has taken over the premium price point and like the DVD before it the regular Blu-Ray is to be had for bargain prices. You can get almost any new release under $20 and lots of older movies for under $10, not to mention it's ony a $4 per month (for three disks out) upcharge to switch your Netflix to a Blu-Ray account.
post #2554 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikediamond View Post

I did some testing back and forth between 24p enabled and disabled on my blu ray player, and , I agree, there seems to be some minor motion smoothing going on with a 24p source.

I don't notice it on mine. Thank goodness.
post #2555 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone have a black level measurement of the 60/65" panels yet?
post #2556 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhck66 View Post

I agree. It is their secret sauce. 60 Hz and 24p are akin to a round hole and a square peg. Without some sort of "manipulation" it just won't fit. The fact that they are able to make a 60 Hz output look like 24p is the real accomplishment.

But they don't make their 60Hz output look like 24p - that's the issue here. Their "secret sauce" is really frame interpolation, which results in SOE, which is very unnatural and un-filmlike. It's the complete opposite of natural film judder - it is artificially smoothed-over. I understand that 3:2 pulldown also doesn't display 24fps correctly, but the 3:2 judder that we are all so used to seeing anyways looks much closer to how film looks, which has its own judder anyways, then the dreaded "soap opera effect" does, which looks nothing like standard 24fps film.

They should have stuck to standard 3:2 pulldown like every blu-ray player does - it would look a lot closer to film than it does with frame interpolation.
post #2557 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did some testing back and forth between 24p enabled and disabled on my blu ray player, and , I agree, there seems to be some minor motion smoothing going on with a 24p source.

Yup, and the problem is it doesn't take much frame interpolation, or motion smoothing, to really show itself. Even a mild effect is very noticeable to those that dislike it, and it's enough to totally ruin the film.

As others have been noting, the best way to deal with it is never send the tv 24Hz content, and play all your digital media in an external player @ 60Hz. It still looks amazing. I'll take 3:2 pulldown over motion smoothing every time.
post #2558 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

As others have been noting, the best way to deal with it is never send the tv 24Hz content, and play all your digital media in an external player @ 60Hz. It still looks amazing. I'll take 3:2 pulldown over motion smoothing every time.

Agreed. This is the solution I've settled on, and I don't see any problem with this work around.
post #2559 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM

I'm about 7 1/2 hours from finishing panel prep on a new 60" St50 & I too notice the weird line toward the right edge of the screen. I don't think it will bother me while watching content unless the screen goes full grey. Pretty noticeable on dark grey slide. I wonder if this is present on the GT50 as well?
I also notice a green tint the middle area of the screen on light greay & white slides. I'm within my return window so after I get it set up on the stand & try some content I make a decision on a return/exchange.
post #2560 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul528 View Post

I'm about 7 1/2 hours from finishing panel prep on a new 60" St50 & I too notice the weird line toward the right edge of the screen. I don't think it will bother me while watching content unless the screen goes full grey. Pretty noticeable on dark grey slide. I wonder if this is present on the GT50 as well?
I also notice a green tint the middle area of the screen on light greay & white slides. I'm within my return window so after I get it set up on the stand & try some content I make a decision on a return/exchange.

I have a UT50, and I'm seeing the same vertical line on the right edge of the screen. And many people are noticing the same thing in the VT50 thread. So it looks like this might be present on all models. Haven't seen any green tint, however.
post #2561 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parry View Post

Thanks to Eagle for answering for me. Those were the exact thoughts I had in my mind.

If you want a TV without any "issues" like these, then you may as well save your money and buy yourself a guitar or something instead. *Every* TV has something that's going to bother somebody enough to write a post in a forum complaining about it. And if you go looking for something that's not quite perfect about your TV - whatever TV it happens to be - you're going to find it.

That doesn't stop most of the rest of us from enjoying our TV's.

I'd love someone to prove me wrong - it would be as simple as pointing me to a thread right here on this board about a particular TV or product line that doesn't have a single complaint in it, just nothing but glowing praise from hundreds of picky forum readers. Then we'll all know that *that* is the perfect TV and nobody will ever need to even consider buying a different one. All the other manufacturers may as well just close up shop.

There's nothing about the ST50 series that should stop anyone from buying it.
post #2562 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badasscat View Post

If you want a TV without any "issues" like these, then you may as well save your money and buy yourself a guitar or something instead. *Every* TV has something that's going to bother somebody enough to write a post in a forum complaining about it. And if you go looking for something that's not quite perfect about your TV - whatever TV it happens to be - you're going to find it.

That doesn't stop most of the rest of us from enjoying our TV's.

I'd love someone to prove me wrong - it would be as simple as pointing me to a thread right here on this board about a particular TV or product line that doesn't have a single complaint in it, just nothing but glowing praise from hundreds of picky forum readers. Then we'll all know that *that* is the perfect TV and nobody will ever need to even consider buying a different one. All the other manufacturers may as well just close up shop.

There's nothing about the ST50 series that should stop anyone from buying it.

No need to be so hostile, buddy. Im noticing these issues as well, but I'm well aware that every tv has issues. In case you were mistaken, this is a discussion thread. We're discussing issues we've come across. Therefore, we're using this thread correctly. Maybe you think you know every little issue tvs are known to have, but I guarantee you many of us do not. And we come to these forums to learn. To get some feedback. To see how normal or abnormal our tv issues are.
post #2563 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

But they don't make their 60Hz output look like 24p - that's the issue here. Their "secret sauce" is really frame interpolation, which results in SOE, which is very unnatural and un-filmlike. It's the complete opposite of natural film judder - it is artificially smoothed-over. I understand that 3:2 pulldown also doesn't display 24fps correctly, but the 3:2 judder that we are all so used to seeing anyways looks much closer to how film looks, which has its own judder anyways, then the dreaded "soap opera effect" does, which looks nothing like standard 24fps film.

They should have stuck to standard 3:2 pulldown like every blu-ray player does - it would look a lot closer to film than it does with frame interpolation.

Quote:

Yup, and the problem is it doesn't take much frame interpolation, or motion smoothing, to really show itself. Even a mild effect is very noticeable to those that dislike it, and it's enough to totally ruin the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 View Post

Agreed. This is the solution I've settled on, and I don't see any problem with this work around.

Problem solved! For the really critical viewer perhaps the VT50 with its 96 Hz mode with 1080p Pure Direct feature is a better fit.
post #2564 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

yeah, I just left 24p disabled on my blu ray player, thanks to whoever discovered this fix.
post #2565 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Will someone give me the dimensions of the stand on the 55"? Thanks!

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:

post #2566 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnyder82 View Post

I have a UT50, and I'm seeing the same vertical line on the right edge of the screen. And many people are noticing the same thing in the VT50 thread. So it looks like this might be present on all models. Haven't seen any green tint, however.

Yeah, I don't think it will be a dealbreaker for me. The issue for me will come down to whether I want a 60" or a 55" from 8ft away. I really won't know till it's on the stand & I try it out. Kept going back & forth for awhile about this.
Not sure if dithering is more noticeable on a 60" or not from this distance.
I soon will find out.
post #2567 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have no idea if this will work but I saw this at Amazon, re: black flashes

Set the picture setting to custom and under the Pro submenu make sure to set the following as:

Black extension: 0
Contour emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

Quote:

- mysterious line on the right of the screen (very difficult to see)

- rapid black flashes during indoor stadium games (I've observed it during hockey and basketball - impossible not to see)

- forced SOE (soap opera effect) on all incoming 24Hz content (likely won't be addressed) - very annoying for those that dislike it

Don't get me wrong here - I love this set. But let's not pretend that some of us haven't encountered these 3 issues. I have noticed all 3. They have all been mentioned enough times by different people that a new user can certainly get the idea that maybe, just maybe, these early models are suffering growing pains. Earlier somebody mentioned last year Panasonic issued fixes for their sets later into the production run. I'm pretty sure this is what the poster meant when he wondered if he should wait a bit.

post #2568 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzack View Post

Will someone give me the dimensions of the stand on the 55"? Thanks!

In the first post of this thread is a link to the Quick Start Guide, on the second from last page you'll find all the dimensions.

post #2569 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 PM

I was wondering if someone could do an input lag test on the ST50. It would be greatly appreciated. thanks

You can follow the directions on this link on how to do it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1166196
post #2570 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maul528 View Post

Yes I see the vertical line on the right side of the panel with my GT50.
post #2571 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcps-sulemanma View Post

I was wondering if someone could do an input lag test on the ST50. It would be greatly appreciated. thanks

You can follow the directions on this link on how to do it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1166196

16ms
post #2572 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

I have no idea if this will work but I saw this at Amazon, re: black flashes

Set the picture setting to custom and under the Pro submenu make sure to set the following as:

Black extension: 0
Contour emphasis: Off
AGC: 0

Nope, this is how I have my set (as per CNET), and I still get the black flashes - I saw them the other night during a basketball game, and my settings have been this way since I first set it up.
post #2573 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 09:05 PM

I have a problem when using the internet browser on my 50st50a , when going to the Dailymotion webpage (in australia you must create this page ,its not already in one of the small boxes like youtube) ,choosing a program to watch then hitting play, the video appears in the top left of the larger black box so peoples heads are cut of etc. If i try the expand to full screen button , nothing happens. this doesn't happen on youtube which works perfectly. Is this the same for you and does anyone have an idea how to make the program/clip play properly?
post #2574 of 9995 Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

You could just have your BD player do the 24>60hz conversion and send the ST50 1080p60.

Quote:

yeah, I just left 24p disabled on my blu ray player, thanks to whoever discovered this fix.

It was WiFi-Spy who first proposed the workaround.
post #2575 of 9995 Old 05-12-2012, 01:47 AM

can anybody tell me plz that polarized 3D Glasses TY-EP3D10UB worked with panasonic plasma TC-P50ST50 Model.

Thanks
post #2576 of 9995 Old 05-12-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

No, polarized glasses will not work with any plasma television. All plasma televisions use electronic active shutter glasses. The only sets that use polarized are LCDs, and only some of them. Some LCDs use active shutter glasses like plasmas, and others use passive (polarized) like the real-D cinemas use. They are totally different technologies. With LCD you can pick a set based on which you prefer. With plasma, it has to be active shutter.
post #2577 of 9995 Old 05-12-2012, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I wanted to take another look at my screen tonight with the slides up because when I was first running the slides, I noticed some pink in some areas of the screen with the white slide. Now that I have about 130+ hours on it, I wanted to take another look.

I still see some areas of pink, mostly in the bottom-right corner, and along the bottom somewhat. It's very mild, but obvious to me that it is a tint of pink. I'm using CNET's settings except the color temp is set to normal and the color is dialed back a few notches. Does everybody have some degree of these pink patches, or is it hit-or-miss with these Panasonics? If there's one thing I despise with LCDs more than anything, it's the "lottery" where every panel has different flashlighting, clouding, etc. - is it the same with these? Does everyone get some amount of discoloration?

Also, I noticed on the dark grey slide, from the the line I see on the right of the screen to the edge, that slice of screen appears to be darker than the rest of the screen. The rest of the screen looks very uniform overall with the grey slide, but from the right of the line outward - about 2 inches total, it appears as a 2" thick strip that seems a bit darker. It's hard to miss to my eyes. I don't know if it's an illusion caused by the grey color and the line that together makes the whole "strip" appear darker, or if it's really darker. Very strange.

This mild pink discoloration, and the line, make me a bit nervous. I know its been said many times in here, that there's no perfect set. But is it really this common to find discolorations? And the line really baffles me. It just looks like it shouldn't be there.

Also noticing lately the line bleed on this set. It's pretty bad. I don't remember how it looked on the D7000 but I'm really noticing it on this set. Just bringing up my on-screen cable guide makes it very obvious, with all the channel grids. I get tons of strips across the screen where the grids are laid out.

Don't take it the wrong way - I'm still enjoying the set very much. But I hate to think I have a set with some imperfections that others do not have.
post #2578 of 9995 Old 05-12-2012, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good news regarding sets with the vertical line. I've been breaking in the set with regular content (passing on D-nices likely superior set...too impatient). On my first day with the set I immediately noticed the vertical line on the PS3 XMB. After 60 or so hours of breaking it in, the line is definitely fading. It's not completely gone yet, but it's definitely much less visible than it was a couple of days ago.
post #2579 of 9995 Old 05-12-2012, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan134 View Post

Good news regarding sets with the vertical line. I've been breaking in the set with regular content (passing on D-nices likely superior set...too impatient). On my first day with the set I immediately noticed the vertical line on the PS3 XMB. After 60 or so hours of breaking it in, the line is definitely fading. It's not completely gone yet, but it's definitely much less visible than it was a couple of days ago.

Excellent. I've noticed it fading over the last few hours of use as well! I'm also probably near 60 hours of use.
post #2580 of 9995 Old 05-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Hmm, I wanted this tv, but I watch a lot of basketball and after viewing the youtube videos it would drive me nuts, to say the least. Now what?

Quote:

Nope, this is how I have my set (as per CNET), and I still get the black flashes - I saw them the other night during a basketball game, and my settings have been this way since I first set it up.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page