Official Panasonic ST50 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 97 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2881 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night something strange happened while I was watching a Blu-ray. In the lower right hand corner the following message appeared: "3D signal detected. Press the 3D button to view in 3D." The thing is though that the movie I was watching (Excalibur) is not in 3D nor do I have a 3D Blu-ray player.

Towards the end of the movie there is an extended fight scene which takes place in a fog. During this scene the message appeared three more times. When watching a regular movie, what would cause the set to think it it receving a 3D signal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

That's true,if he has cable or satellite and is getting a bad signal on certain stations that could cause it too. Its not the tv.. I have the same issues. Some stations are pixelated and are unwatchable.. Honestly,I see artifact once in a while and never thought about it twice.. People just gotta calm down and relax a little. Just enjoy your tv and forget about buyers remorse..

Thanks for the responses. The set is connected to Uverse and I have seen games from ESPN, Fox Sports SW and the local channel and all seem the same to me. I will get an antenna and try OTA. Also, movies are great. I did see some NASCAR and it looked pretty good although I'm not a big NASCAR guy so I will check again and watch more closely. I started with the Cnet recommended settings for the custom option and any adjustments after that were by eye only.
post #2883 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by New to Plasma View Post

Thanks for the responses. The set is connected to Uverse and I have seen games from ESPN, Fox Sports SW and the local channel and all seem the same to me. I will get an antenna and try OTA. Also, movies are great. I did see some NASCAR and it looked pretty good although I'm not a big NASCAR guy so I will check again and watch more closely. I started with the Cnet recommended settings for the custom option and any adjustments after that were by eye only.

Its gotta be the signal on certain channels.. Or your watching diff sports on the same channel and its doing it. NASCAR bores me to death but it does look incredible and sounds killer in 5.1..
post #2884 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Try playing around with the motion smoothing setting. If you're using C-Net's settings then I'm guessing you have it turned off, which is the correct setting but maybe you're not used to that or just don't like it. In that case, try setting it to weak. I wouldn't go above that. If you for some reason didn't turn it off along with the C-Net settings, then try doing that.
post #2885 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Well, if you watch once TV show (45 minutes), you are bound to pause at least once. Also, the progress bar appears when you arrow left or right to rewind or ff. I know I've watch at least 100 shows on the set since I bought it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

You are worrying about nothing, you don't need slides or break it in. The TV is totally fine without doing anything, just set it to your liking and enjoy it. Why the heck would you pause 100-200 times is beyond me, who does that. Unless you can visually see imperfections while watching regular content don't worry about.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #2886 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I've already stopped pausing/seeking content a long time ago when I discovered the issue obviously (duh) and have played slides for 120 hours, but thanks though. I've been hitting stop instead and turning the TV off for a while now.

This isn't directed towards you, but in general, I expect to see no defects or ghosting on the slides on a TV I purchase. This was my whole point for leaving LCD and trying plasma was for a more uniform screen.

Just because you can't perceive the issue during playback on one video means nothing. Besides, I can browse the web and see the progress bar on white/grey web backgrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

If you repeat the exact same behavior constantly as long as you own your display, then image retention might look like burn-in but in fact you are seeing repetitive IR because you keep exposing the same fixed image to the display.

In your case it's the Netflix pause screen. So if you pause Netflix ten minutes out of every thirty minutes (ignore the numbers) then you will see IR every time you check your screen with the right slides.

In your concern about burn-in, you are in fact abusing yourself. You are further abusing your self when faint images that are not seen when you use your display for it's intended purpose upset you. If you stop repeating the "pause" behavior then the faint image it has left behind will vanish over time. No one can tell you how long that will take, but it will happen.

Premise, a FREE home automation program. Open-source Z-Wave Premise Module found here.
post #2887 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by badasscat View Post

Alright, here's a stupid question. I just got the Spears and Munsil calibration disc which has a test video for 24p content. I tested it both at 60hz and 48hz,.... I didn't see any difference at all at 60hz other than the lack of strobing. No moire, no judder, no flickering or whatever, none of the other issues the instructions told me to look for.

So the stupid question: what's the big deal about 48/96hz? I understand that it lets you see 24p content "natively" but if it looks exactly how it's supposed to look at 60hz, what's the practical difference?

Panasonic has simply found a way to make 60Hz work....
From the CNet review:
Quote:

Like its 2011 brothers, the TC-PST50 passed our 1080p/24 test in its 60Hz setting. It['s] cadence was smooth and properly filmlike, indistinguishable from the look of the other sets in our lineup that handled 1080p/24 properly. As usual I found the 48Hz mode flickered too much to be watchable

So one can either bemoan the lack of a 96hz mode, or simply sit back and enjoy a movie knowing that it looks just as "filmlike" on a ST50 as it does on any other competent panel.

(From other postings, it seems there might be some implications here for 3D Films, so if you are 3D Buff you may want to do some research. To us, 3D remains an unwanted gimmick...)
post #2888 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 76
etc, I think it's time to return the tv and forget about plasma, it's obviously not working for you. Move on.
post #2889 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Thanks for the responses. The set is connected to Uverse and I have seen games from ESPN, Fox Sports SW and the local channel and all seem the same to me. I will get an antenna and try OTA. Also, movies are great. .... I started with the Cnet recommended settings for the custom option and any adjustments after that were by eye only.

Uverse is NOT a good source to use to judge HDTV PQ: at its BEST, UVerse looks Pretty Darn Good on a 50" screen (or smaller....), but the quality of the transmitted signals are seldom at their "Best."

FWIW, we've had Uverse for over 3 years (over 4 perhaps?) - one of the first to sign up when it hit our neighborhood - and have NO immediate plans to dump it: overall, it has been a good service, and PQ GENERALLY looks GREAT on our 42" plasma, is almost always Very Good (or better) on our 50" - but is Frequently ugly as sin on the 60" ST50 - -- - unless we move back to a viewing distance of around 12 feet.

There is simply too much compression on too many of the shows / channels to avoid artifacts. With a small screen, you can ignore most of them, but with a larger panel: Good Luck!

ALSO: 720p panels seem to do better with SD material than 1080p sets - something about less processing being required. (Am including "upconverted" SD DVDs and MOST "HD TV" cable feeds under "SD material!")

Uverse is further hurt by lacking a "Direct Source" mode: you must select either 720p OR 1080i at the Uverse box - which means its inferior processor is handling the upconversion / deinterlacing instead of your TV.

Some shows on Uverse do come across as providing Strikingly Good PQ - particularly those that are nice & Bright, and with Gently Moving objects (check out many - but NOT all! - of the "Showcase" HD Sample programming). Interestingly, the SHOPPING Channels (HSN / QVC) and Local News usually look "HD." Other shows are horrid: For example, shows like GRIMM, with lots of dark / shadowy scenes, seldom fare well.

No. 1 Son recently dropped UVerse TV service - maintaining internet only - and has been RAVING about the PQ provided by OTA channels, so you may want to try a decent antenna to better gauge the PQ capabilities of your set.

Spent a bit of time with the AVS BR disk (HD709) last night - strictly amateur hour - than watched favorite "test scenes" from several blu-rays: I know this is only a Mid-Line set, and is not Properly Calibrated - but without a side-by-side comparison it is difficult to imagine how another panel could provide a Significantly Better picture...
post #2890 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

This isn't directed towards you, but in general, I expect to see no defects or ghosting on the slides on a TV I purchase. This was my whole point for leaving LCD and trying plasma was for a more uniform screen.

Plasma does have a *more* uniform screen, and the ST50 has at least among the best I've seen (I'm not sure it's *the* best, but I am super, super nitpicky and I see hardly anything wrong with the uniformity on the ST50).

But it's as unrealistic as ever to expect any TV to be absolutely perfect, in this or any other area. No TV has perfect black levels, no TV has perfect color, no TV has perfect screen uniformity, etc. If this were even possible, then whoever manages to do it had better patent whatever technology they're using, because otherwise every other manufacturer's going to copy them and do exactly the same thing and pretty quickly you won't find a TV that *isn't* perfect.

Some of this is relative, because I guarantee you that even on the slides, 99.99% of the population would look at my screen and say "that's perfect". And you might see people here say that about this or any other TV too. But me being as nitpicky as I am, if I stare at it for long enough in the same spot, I can start to see the line on the right side that people have talked about. And probably you could measure that line as being 0.00001 foot lamberts different in intensity than the rest of the screen, or something - you'd need some seriously sensitive equipment, but I'll bet you could measure it. So it goes. This is about as good as a TV screen gets. At some point you have to just relax and realize that.

You can go ahead and return your TV for a different model, but you're going to drive yourself nuts looking for one that's perfect, in anything. Believe me, I know - I have the same tendency to look for flaws. And if it's not one thing, it's another. But when I look back even just a few years and compare this TV to ones that were considered excellent in the 00's or so, I'm amazed at how much better the ST50 is than those, in almost every area. As good as TV's are now, it's led a lot of people to have this unrealistic expectation of perfection. TV's have never been perfect, ever, and they're not now either. They are a lot closer than they used to be, though, and some are closer than others. But in some ways it can be even *more* maddening when a TV is as close as this one is - that's when you feel like there's something wrong with it that it's not perfect. But there isn't.
post #2891 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by etc6849 View Post

I was called away before I could finish my post to you. It seems like you are taking action to minimize repeating the same fixed image. That's the only way I know to handle it. With age, your panel will be less sensitive to high contrast fixed images. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any display that can guarantee a constantly uniform appearing screen.

In our case our plasma is 4.5 years old and probably has a little over 6,000 hours on it. I checked the screen when it was delivered and then again several days ago. I don't see any IR, but I don't know that there never has been any. We watch a lot of sports that all involve fixed images, and we watch a lot of movies with black bars. We also watch a lot of material with a full screen 1.78:1 aspect ratio and no high contrast logos. That seems to have kept the screen in pretty good shape.

If by ghosting or defects you mean IR when you watch monochrome screen images, then you are out of luck owning a plasma. If you are constantly checking your screen with slides then it's always possible that you will see some IR.

Quote:

Just because you can't perceive the issue during playback on one video means nothing.

I don't doubt that it means nothing to you at this stage. We all have to pick our own poison.

Quote:

Besides, I can browse the web and see the progress bar on white/grey web backgrounds.

There are people who claim that they use their plasmas for nothing but Internet browsing and gaming. I never would use my plasma that way. Again, pick your own poison.

I hope they you can find something that works for you.
post #2892 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 05:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I am new to HD (and posting here) as I held onto my Sony 32" tube for 17 years. I mainly watch sports, baseball and basketball now but can't wait for football season in HD. Motion handling and wide angle viewing are important to me so I veered toward plasma instead of LED/LCD. After reading some reviews, the D7000 seemed like a good value but I was concerned about the peeling black filter many had reported so decided to try a D6500 even though I have windows on the side and back of my viewing room. I figured if I could handle watching the old Sony tube in that room that the D6500 wouldn't be any worse as far as reflections went. I was floored after hooking up and watching the D6500 for the first time. Much of that was probably due to the jump from non HD to HD and the giant 59" screen on the D6500. I loved just about everything on that tv. The picture was great and I found myself mesmerized when watching a baseball game with the color and detail. The tv fit snugly inside a cabinet so the rotating stand was also very nice for reaching the inputs without having to pull the tv out each time. However, everyone in the family noticed the BUZZ when about 12' directly in front of the screen. Just a slight move to the side and you didn't notice it anymore. It was still just too distracting to enjoy the set. As it was still within the return window, I attempted to get another of the same model but Amazon was sold out. Since I would have to get a different model altogether, I decided to try a Panasonic as the complaints about buzzing seem to be much less than Samsung. After a little more research, the ST50 looked to be a great value for a 2012 model so I purchased the 60". No buzzing at all which was fantastic. The stand did not swivel which is less than ideal but not a deal breaker. However, when watching baseball the closeups are still very sharp but i've noticed when viewing from the center field camera there is a pronounced image blur around the pitchers shoulders and neck when he starts his pitch. It looks almost like pixelation like the set cannot figure out what is the players body, jersey, hat or the backstop behind home plate. I can also see a double image along his right side. (not just one game but noticed this for several games on several different channels on Uverse.) I tuned the settings to the Cnet recommendations but this didn't change anything with the blurriness. But it does seem to be related to the distance of the player from the camera. Again, closeups are great but players in the middle distance seem to get blurry especially if moving. I also noticed the fans sitting behind the home plate netting seemed to blur as the camera moved through as if the set couldn't determine that the net in front of the people was a separate object.

Honestly I don't recall the blurriness on the D6500 but since I don't have a side by side comparison now I am wondering if it was there but I didn't notice it because it was my first HD tv and I was so blown away by the upgrade in general. Does anyone know if the Samsungs typically handle motion better than the Panasonics? Are there settings on the ST50 I can use to stop this? I really enjoy watching football and if motion blur is an issue with this set I will be hugely disappointed come fall. Maybe an E6500 would be an option?

I'm noticing the same thing watching basketball when they pan out. It looks blurry almost not HD. The close up on the players and different angles look great. I find it odd.
post #2893 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Can you guys with the blurry players post your settings?

post #2894 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Can you guys with the blurry players post your settings?

DNICE settings with a few ticks up in contrast and brightness
post #2895 of 9994 Old 05-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_M View Post

I'm noticing the same thing watching basketball when they pan out. It looks blurry almost not HD. The close up on the players and different angles look great. I find it odd.

Could be compression from your provider. I didn't notice this from my ST30 using FIOS. Who is your provider?
post #2896 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 07:18 AM

Liked: 13
Would someone Please start an Official Owner's Thread for the VT. I would love to here from them. I am considering a Purchase!
post #2897 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 07:26 AM

Liked: 27
^^^It's been going on for some time: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1408338

Turn it up!
post #2898 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Anyone else having difficulties connecting wirelessly? I have my buddy whose an IT guy over here, and it cant find, or connect. Called Panasonic, and tried to connect manualy...still no go. Anyone know if theres a software update for the tc-p60st50 yet? Is it just my TV? I hate like hell to have to ship it back because of no wireless, because it flawless besides that. Beautiful tv...
post #2899 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Hi I just bought a st50 55" Euro-version, ( cause I live in Europe. )
But I am not sure I did the right thing. I was choosing between this and the 59" d7000. I watch a lot of sports and I am not sure which is the brightest one when it comes to fullwhite screen? (Yes, it is important to me. And no, LED would never be an option.)
If I watch hockey, which could go brightest, 59" d7000 or the 55" st50?

edit: The pic looks excellent in ps3/pc-games, bluray, tv etc. until the ABL (I think?) decreases brightness. Apart from that it's super-duper.

I want my next TV to have "smell the glove"-blacklevel. I got me an st50 and I think I can smell some leather in a not too far away distance somewhere.
post #2900 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Can anyone please answer this.....on the menu it says as I'm looking at the screen Pixel orbiter- enable.....not enabled..enable?Does that mean its active.If you press right on the remote it says disable not disabled?Also my first plasma so I'm following what I read to break the TV in for 150 to 200 hrs or so with standard mode full content only..is this right?
post #2901 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Are you trying to say that the input lag is good or bad? You said the St50 isn't true 16 ms, but then you said st50=16ms. I don't understand what you're asking.

Foreign troll
post #2902 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberale View Post

Anyone else having difficulties connecting wirelessly?

Irrespective of the device, some people have trouble connecting to the Internet either wired or wireless.

Quote:

Anyone know if theres a software update for the tc-p60st50 yet?

Panasonic tech support should have told you if there was a special firmware update for this problem.

Quote:

Is it just my TV?

Given how complex Internet connection can be, there is very little chance that your problem is being caused by a defective display.

Quote:

I hate like hell to have to ship it back because of no wireless, because it flawless besides that. Beautiful tv...

You are no where near being in that situation.

I'm surprised that, given your friends IT experience, your post had no detail about what you've tried either with the automatic procedure provided by Panasonic or the manual attempt you made. That's the sort of thing IT guys are supposed to be good at, but network administrators should be much better. I solve all my Internet connectivity problems by calling our middle son.

You need to supply all the relevant detail regarding your router's setup, your computer's setup, and your displays setup. The trouble is somewhere in there and is probably related to such things as firewall protection, permissions and esoteric addresses.

Here is a post relating to an OPPO player and connection problems that may help. The fact it's a player and not a display shouldn't make any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I'm not sure if I've followed this entire discussion, but have you confirmed that the PC has network connectivity to the Oppo? You can check this by "pinging" the Oppo from your PC.

You can get the IP address the Oppo has by going into the Setup menu and selecting the "Network Setup" option. The Connection Information item will show the IP address. If you select it, it will show additional information about your network connection (gateway, DNS servers, MAC address, etc.).

Once you have the IP address, go to your PC and see if you can ping the Oppo player. If you're running Windows, click the Start menu button in the bottom left of your desktop, type cmd.exe, and hit Enter to open a command prompt. Then type "ping {OPPOIPADDRESS}" and press enter (replace "{OPPOIPADDRESS}" with the IP address of the Oppo you found above. So if the Oppo IP address is 164.179.1.112, it would be "ping 164.179.1.112". If you have connectivity you should see results similar to:

Code:
C:\\Users\\gsr>ping 192.168.1.112

Pinging 192.168.1.112 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.112: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.112:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
If you get results similar to the above, then connectivity to the player is ok and there's most likely a problem with how you have your DLNA server software configured on the PC.

If, instead you get results that say "Destination host unreachable" or "Request timed out", then connectivity to the Oppo is a problem and you'll need to get that figured out before you can proceed. If this is the problem, post all the information shown in the Oppo Network Setup -> Connection Information menu (both pages). In addition to that, type "ipconfig /all" in the command line window on the PC and post the results of that. That information might provide the key to the problem.

Substitute Panasonic display for OPPO.

If you have a Mac, than you'll need to find the equivalent utilities to accomplish that same thing.
post #2903 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodust23 View Post

Can anyone please answer this.....on the menu it says as I'm looking at the screen Pixel orbiter- enable.....not enabled..enable?Does that mean its active.If you press right on the remote it says disable not disabled?Also my first plasma so I'm following what I read to break the TV in for 150 to 200 hrs or so with standard mode full content only..is this right?

I don't have a Panasonic display, but what you're looking at is a standard toggle switch. If you see "enable" then the display feature is disabled, and clicking "enable" will enable that feature. Of course, at that point the toggle (on/off) switch will say "disable".

The pixel orbiter is in an enabled state when the toggle switch says "disable". The pixel orbiter is in a disabled state when the the toggle switch says "enable".

The toggle switch indicates what it will do if you click on it.
post #2904 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Uverse is NOT a good source to use to judge HDTV PQ: at its BEST, UVerse looks Pretty Darn Good on a 50" screen (or smaller....), but the quality of the transmitted signals are seldom at their "Best."

FWIW, we've had Uverse for over 3 years (over 4 perhaps?) ...and PQ GENERALLY looks GREAT on our 42" plasma, is almost always Very Good (or better) on our 50" - but is Frequently ugly as sin on the 60" ST50 - -- - unless we move back to a viewing distance of around 12 feet.

There is simply too much compression on too many of the shows / channels to avoid artifacts. With a small screen, you can ignore most of them, but with a larger panel: Good Luck! ...

Uverse is further hurt by lacking a "Direct Source" mode: you must select either 720p OR 1080i at the Uverse box - which means its inferior processor is handling the upconversion / deinterlacing instead of your TV...

No. 1 Son recently dropped UVerse TV service - maintaining internet only - and has been RAVING about the PQ provided by OTA channels, so you may want to try a decent antenna to better gauge the PQ capabilities of your set.

Dierkdr - very informative, I did not even realize that the Uverse box had a 720/1080 setting and mine was on 720. I switched to 1080 so feeds with the higher reso should be better. I am curious to see the NBA playoffs tonight. I watched the Lakers/OKC game last night and a full court shot with players moving had the bluriness along the players outlines but the close ups (usually during time outs) are so sharp it's almost like you are standing next to the guy. After switching to the 1080 setting, I checked out baseball on Fox Sports SW today. I think the FSSW signal is lousy, the whole picture is just grainy and doesn't even look HD even though the Uverse channel guide says it is.

Quote:

I also watched some playoff hockey today (Kings/Phoenix) on an (NBC on Uverse). It was much better than baseball on Fox Sports SW. I could still see double images on the players shoulders and helmets when they were moving from a camera shot showing most of the ice but still not too bad. Maybe that is just how it is with the signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badasscat View Post

Try playing around with the motion smoothing setting. If you're using C-Net's settings then I'm guessing you have it turned off, which is the correct setting but maybe you're not used to that or just don't like it. In that case, try setting it to weak. I wouldn't go above that. If you for some reason didn't turn it off along with the C-Net settings, then try doing that.

Thanks b.a.cat. I have the motion smoother off and did try all the options up to strong during the Lakers/OKC game last night. I couldn't tell a difference so set it back to off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post

Its gotta be the signal on certain channels.. Or your watching diff sports on the same channel and its doing it. NASCAR bores me to death but it does look incredible and sounds killer in 5.1..

LowTech1, NASCAR does look awesome. I like to sit about 3 feet from the set and watch the cars go round. I am starting to wonder if it is a different animal with respect to the motion however. The cars have basically a fixed outline and go so fast that everything around them is blurred anyway. And the cameras can follow them in a steady panning motion whereas in basketball you have a person moving arms and legs, with a uniform on top flowing in different directions so the outline is constantly shifting. And you have 10 of those guys all moving in different directions at the same time.
post #2905 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:

DNICE settings with a few ticks up in contrast and brightness

I have:
CATS = off
Video NR = weak
Mosquito NR = On
Motion Smoother = Off

Not sure if other options affect motion?
post #2906 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodust23 View Post

enable=on

You can check the built in user manual for details on the settings/features.
post #2907 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Thanks!!..I thought to enable it,it had to say disable,like turning it on clicking to the right.
post #2908 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 03:51 PM

I also have another question for anyone who will answer.I'm breaking in this set before I do some gaming on it.I always bought Lcd TV's because I was afraid of Ir/burn in.So my question is,is this the right way to do it,run full screen content 150 to 200 hrs in standard mode 50 Brightness 50 Picture?I'm a newbie to the plasma world,so bear with me...
post #2909 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 04:08 PM

I also want to add I returned my first set due to buzzing and sometimes when the set went pitch black on some movies the screen flashed,I did download the firmware update the day I got it and maybe that's why it flashed.The new one I got so far doesn't flash,and I did not download the update.I also got to experiment with this before I took it back and found some stuff I would like to share.1 When you have a static image on screen for some time video games sports and put the TV in 3D mode I noticed image retention pretty bad on the blacks,it went away but only noticed it when the TV went in 3D.I guess when 3D kicks in the TV kinda goes a little white washed so maybe that's why it's so noticeable.I also like an idiot watched baseball on vivid the fist day I got the set and did notice burn in on whites red and purple screens.So that's why I'm following the break in process,and I assume that will not happen again.I did play a lot of PS3 and 360 on it the first day for 3 hrs plus and noticed a little IR when I kicked the TV over to 3D mode and put up a black screen,but like I said before it went away in 2 min with full screen content.
post #2910 of 9994 Old 05-20-2012, 04:10 PM

I took home an Australian P50ST50A on Friday and had a bit of a play with it over the weekend. Very happy with it overall however I did notice the following issues:

1. When fed a 24p signal the TV does not report the refresh rate it uses but I am pretty sure it is defaulting to 48hz as I do notice a small amount of flicker in bright scenes. There doesn't seem to be a 3:2 pulldown option available like the US version, is this correct or am I missing something?

2. I was able to see line bleed on the green MPAA screen quite clearly however I didn't notice it in regular content at all.

Aside from those two items I didn't notice any other issues. Watched Apocalypto and The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray as well as a variety of SD content and was really impressed with the PQ.

Does anyone know if there is a hidden option to enable the 60hz 3:2 pulldown for 24p sources on the UK/AU versions?

Cheers
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic , Displays , Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st50 55 Inch Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st50 Plasma Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page