How to use Plasma Display as secondary monitor - AVS Forum
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > How to use Plasma Display as secondary monitor
V_Pl_a's Avatar V_Pl_a 08:24 AM 03-03-2012
I recently bought Samsung Plasma. Today I decided to hook up my PC via 15ft HDMI cable. My PC is running Windows 7 and has nVidia video card.
So in Windows 7 Screen Resolution menu I select 'Extend these Displays'. The problem is that Windows sets my Plasma screen as default and my PC monitor as secondary display. I can't change that screen arrangement. The problem is that Plasma display is in another room, so while I am using my PC, I can't see nVidia control panel which is on Plasma screen and there is only wallpaper on my monitor. While I look at TV, I can't use my PC and keyboard/mouse.
What do you suggest? Moving PC near to TV isn't an option.

rob80b's Avatar rob80b 09:02 AM 03-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Pl_a View Post

I recently bought Samsung Plasma. Today I decided to hook up my PC via 15ft HDMI cable. My PC is running Windows 7 and has nVidia video card.
So in Windows 7 Screen Resolution menu I select 'Extend these Displays'. The problem is that Windows sets my Plasma screen as default and my PC monitor as secondary display. I can't change that screen arrangement. The problem is that Plasma display is in another room, so while I am using my PC, I can't see nVidia control panel which is on Plasma screen and there is only wallpaper on my monitor. While I look at TV, I can't use my PC and keyboard/mouse.
What do you suggest? Moving PC near to TV isn't an option.

You'll want to select duplicate or mirror not extend, shut down, disconnect the HDMI cable, reboot to get your desktop back on the PC's monitor, reconnect the HDMI cable, turn on your plasma, right click on your desktop and choose graphic properties.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...tiple-monitors
V_Pl_a's Avatar V_Pl_a 10:19 AM 03-03-2012
No I don't want to duplicate my monitor. I want to use Plasma TV as secondary monitor.
tostada's Avatar tostada 11:39 AM 03-03-2012
You need to go into the screen resolution properties, have both screens enabled, select the screen by your PC, and click the "Make this my main display" check box.

You might just have to make several trips back and forth to the next room to get the mouse where you need it to click on that check box.

But I think if you reboot your machine with the plasma unplugged, then plug it in and open the properties it should automatically show up as secondary.
V_Pl_a's Avatar V_Pl_a 12:09 PM 03-03-2012
Is it safe to plug in plasma TV in when my PC is powered on?
Joe333x's Avatar Joe333x 12:42 PM 03-03-2012
Quote:

Is it safe to plug in plasma TV in when my PC is powered on?

Yes.

I have windows vista on my laptop and use my plasma as secondary display because i use my laptop to play movies. When i was connecting my sisters win7 laptop to her lcd it was a pain compared vista. I guess win7 has some issues with the nvidia drivers and external displays.
V_Pl_a's Avatar V_Pl_a 01:03 PM 03-03-2012
No, changing Windows 7 with Vista isn't clearly a solution for me.

Here's this issue I haven't written about yet. The resolution of both my Plasma and monitor is native 1080p. I haven't touched anything in menu since I bought this plasma, but when connected to PC, the picture looks like it is zoomed in a bit. How can I fix this issue? I looked at screen resolution settings on my PC, but everything seems ok.
Here is the example what my desktop looks like on my TV. This pic isn't actually my desktop. I found it on the web and edited.

emp99's Avatar emp99 03:30 PM 03-03-2012
No need to be a paranoid parrot, you can post your desktop.
Anyways, you just need to fix the aspect ratio settings.
Look under HDMI settings as well.
It should all be in there if you have a tv made in the past few years.
For Samsung, I think they call it "just scan".
If it doesn't work or that doesn't fix it, look deeper into the settings.
Joe333x's Avatar Joe333x 04:35 PM 03-03-2012
Quote:

No, changing Windows 7 with Vista isn't clearly a solution for me.

Here's this issue I haven't written about yet. The resolution of both my Plasma and monitor is native 1080p. I haven't touched anything in menu since I bought this plasma, but when connected to PC, the picture looks like it is zoomed in a bit. How can I fix this issue? I looked at screen resolution settings on my PC, but everything seems ok.
Here is the example what my desktop looks like on my TV. This pic isn't actually my desktop. I found it on the web and edited.

What is your picture mode on your tv? I know on my pnd8000 yhe screen will look similar tk that if the picture size is on 16:9 instead of screen fit.
V_Pl_a's Avatar V_Pl_a 10:25 PM 03-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by emp99 View Post

No need to be a paranoid parrot, you can post your desktop.
Anyways, you just need to fix the aspect ratio settings.
Look under HDMI settings as well.
It should all be in there if you have a tv made in the past few years.
For Samsung, I think they call it "just scan".
If it doesn't work or that doesn't fix it, look deeper into the settings.

No, I am not paranoid, I was just lazy to take photo of my TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe333x View Post

What is your picture mode on your tv? I know on my pnd8000 yhe screen will look similar tk that if the picture size is on 16:9 instead of screen fit.

Yes, I looked into that and Picture mode was set to 16:9. I will try screen fit.
V_Pl_a's Avatar V_Pl_a 10:58 PM 03-03-2012
Setting Picture mode to screen fit fixed the issue of cropped desktop. Thanks to Joe333x.
Bu now screen burn-in option is greyed out. Will this be a problem since I will stream videos with black bars to TV?
V_Pl_a's Avatar V_Pl_a 05:42 AM 03-06-2012
With screen fit mode, pixel shift option is greyed out in menu. Is there any other way to force TV to display 1080p resolution in 16:9 mode correctly? I bought this TV for use with my HTPC.
V_Pl_a's Avatar V_Pl_a 09:03 AM 03-13-2012
I solved the issue with this info that I found on the net:
Quote:

When selecting the source, press tools on the remote, edit name and change to PC.

Now I can turn on pixel shift to protect the screen. But now Advanced calibration options are greyed out. Samsung, I am disappointed.
Up
Mobile  Desktop