Help me choose and why - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Jackrouach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please before I get emailed if there is a forum about this topic please email me the forum link instead of attacking. I apologize for grammar english is my third language. Thanks

Currently have the Sony kdl-52xbr5. I have to say I love the picture on it so I'm hoping any tv I get will be a major upgrade.

These are my choices but don't be shy suggesting others...

1)Samsung pn64d8000
2)Samsung un65d8000
3)Sony hx929
4)Panasonic Vt-50

I don't want the sharp elite non sense it's over priced and sure the pq is nice otherwise the exterior looks like a cheap off brand. I never owned a plasma all I hear how they buzz heat up and looses gas after a few years. I'm a heavy tv user and I have kids that play Xbox on it. What yv u suggest ????
Jackrouach is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
JMUdukes07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Samsung 64D7000 - will get PQ just as good as the 8000 and save on the price.
JMUdukes07 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
agent8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would go panny plasma but I don't own one yet. Consumer reports has them at the top and I was blown away by the pq. From my research, plasmas usually "buzz" when you are over or around 5000 ft depending on where you sit. I've read to many problem threads and seen to many busted Samsungs on display to ever consider them again.
agent8 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
 
JMUdukes07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

I would go panny plasma but I don't own one yet. Consumer reports has them at the top and I was blown away by the pq. From my research, plasmas usually "buzz" when you are over or around 5000 ft depending on where you sit. I've read to many problem threads and seen to many busted Samsungs on display to ever consider them again.

???

The D7000 was Consumer Reports top rated plasma in it's class this year.
JMUdukes07 is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Jackrouach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Money isn't a factor. Not that I'm super rich it's that i look at what items I use heavy and that's how I justify spending 3-7k on a tv because I know I would enjoy it and use it so if anything I'll go with the 8000
Jackrouach is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Senior Member
 
JMUdukes07's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrouach View Post

Money isn't a factor. Not that I'm super rich it's that i look at what items I use heavy and that's how I justify spending 3-7k on a tv because I know I would enjoy it and use it so if anything I'll go with the 8000

Fair enough, it's certainly a nice TV - I just find that the ugly claw stand and the fact that it really doesn't add much of anything than a web browser to make it a pointless upgrade. It's the same TV otherwise.
JMUdukes07 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 13,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'd go VT50 (I have a VT30 and love it). Every year, CNET rates Panny top PQ over Sammy (although by a very slight margin for the 2011 displays).
BillP is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jdcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent8 View Post

I would go panny plasma but I don't own one yet. Consumer reports has them at the top and I was blown away by the pq. From my research, plasmas usually "buzz" when you are over or around 5000 ft depending on where you sit. I've read to many problem threads and seen to many busted Samsungs on display to ever consider them again.

I believe the altitude problems were with previous generations of plasmas. I live at 6300ft, and my KRP-500M has zero buzz, even right up next to the panel.
jdcrox is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Member
 
Therionx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would personally go with the un65d8000. I currently own the pn59d8000 and have nothing but issues with it. I got talked into buying a plasma and i am 100000000% regretting that decision now.
Therionx is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 AM
Senior Member
 
CaTaSTrOphiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therionx View Post

I would personally go with the un65d8000. I currently own the pn59d8000 and have nothing but issues with it. I got talked into buying a plasma and i am 100000000% regretting that decision now.

Those problems you state are completely unrelated to picture quality or anything else that relates to 99.9999999% of the rest of the population. See his other posts....
CaTaSTrOphiK is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 05-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
StuckAtZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: St. Louis area
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would go for a Panasonic over the Samsung HDTVs (not that the Samsungs are bad).

That said, it's hard to justify the price of a HX929 when at 55", the HX929 currently sells for about $1,000 more than the VT50 and it does not outperform the VT50.

At 65", the price gap widens between the Sony & Panasonic.

If you're concerned about operating costs it would take you anywhere from 40 to over 160 years to "break even" with the Sony given that the Panasonics cost a little more to operate. I base that on the yellow energy star labels both manufacturers provide.

HD Guru also cited at CES that the VT50 was the best HDTV among plasmas and LED for this year.

http://hdguru.com/the-hd-guru-ces-20...nnounced/7066/

StuckAtZero is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 05-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
ATC7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If money's no object, IMO the VT50 is a no-brainer.
ATC7 is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 05-07-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
6SpeedTA95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Tulsa area
Posts: 2,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a 929 and returned it. Waiting to likely get a 55vt50 now.
6SpeedTA95 is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
SoSo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckAtZero View Post

I would go for a Panasonic over the Samsung HDTVs (not that the Samsungs are bad).

That said, it's hard to justify the price of a HX929 when at 55", the HX929 currently sells for about $1,000 more than the VT50 and it does not outperform the VT50.

At 65", the price gap widens between the Sony & Panasonic.

If you're concerned about operating costs it would take you anywhere from 40 to over 160 years to "break even" with the Sony given that the Panasonics cost a little more to operate. I base that on the yellow energy star labels both manufacturers provide.

HD Guru also cited at CES that the VT50 was the best HDTV among plasmas and LED for this year.

http://hdguru.com/the-hd-guru-ces-20...nnounced/7066/

I wonder how "scientific" is the HDGURU Best HDTV award. Judging on the CES show floor. Do they bring any testing devices, measurement instruments, etc? Or just by their "Expert" eyeball? I would rather wait for the result from the Flat Panel Side by Side Comparison Test instead.
SoSo is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 AM
Senior Member
 
CaTaSTrOphiK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My vt50 is enroute so I guess you know what my vote is for.
CaTaSTrOphiK is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off