Samsung PN59D8000 Issues: interference complaint from neighbor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To begin My name is Paul and i just sighed up here to try and get some advice / help with an issue i am having with my TV.

Moving along, i bought the samsung PN59D8000 plasma at the end of september.

Now this is where it gets sort of complicated. My neighbor is one of directors of OEM or Operations of Emergency Management, they are part of the public safety and homeland security bureau. He operates and maintains a FCC regulated and licensed OEM ham radio repeater wich is used for communicating and coordinating all emergency management during inclement weather, disasters etc, they communicate regularly with coast guard, police, military etc..

On halloween my family and i were invited over for a halloween party they were having. I attended the party as i had no other plans for that night.

I ended up getting in a in depth tech conversation with my neighbor wich lead me to talk about my new tv purchase. As the conversation went on he asked me if it was a plasma in wich case i said yes.

He told my father and I that he had been experiencing severe interference lately that was completely wiping out the radio equipment for the past month, and that the OEM was looking into the matter of communication through that repeater being wiped out by some form of outside interference. They concluded that the interference was "Plasma Noise" but was unable to determine the location.

I collaborated with my neighbor to conduct a test, i would turn my tv on and see what happens and he would let me know the outcome via phone with one another. Well, it turns out it is my tv that is wiping out the repeater and communication whenever the tv is turned on.

Now heres where everything goes south. I received a phone call from my neighbor in november stating that i need to either return the tv (i couldn't it was outside of return policy) or stop using all together that it is interfering with government broadcast frequencies and that he will file a complaint and so on and so forth. I ignored his request as it was outside of anything i could possibly do.

Well, on january 3rd a Government officer came to my house to take a statement about what was going on. On january 12th i received a letter from the FCC Stating that i am interfering with government broadcasting and that i must cease use of the device as it is in breach of FCC standing or face fines. Then i receive a certified letter from Homeland security on january 13th stating if i dont cease use of the device causing the interference i can be jailed for interfering with government communications

I contacted Samsung immediately about this and forwarded the letters and information to them regarding this issue. I took 1 week just for someone to contact me back, then it took another 2 weeks for them to get a tech out here, just to have the tech say there was nothing he could do and leave.

I contacted samsung again and waited another week for someone to contact me back yet again just to have samsung state that there is nothing they can do, the tv is not defective and the television is not in breach of any FCC violation. This really pissed me off considering i have 2 certified letters stating if i turn the tv on again i can be fined or go to jail. on top of video proof of the issue thanks to my neighbor and a direct link the their website that states interfering with this specific frequency is 100% a violation.

I am still fighting samsung calling every day to try and get resolution for this issue, but samsung doesn't seem to care in anyway what soever. I filed a complaint with the BBB about this and also tried taking it up with the FCC to try and find other forms of getting resolution, but in the end it all falls on samsung.

Im not sure what else i can do, I have a 3000$ tv that i cant turn on or use in any way, that is now just sitting in my basement. The tv is 5 months old and i cant afford to sell it and loose everything i invested in it as the tv now is only 2000$ brand new and i am unemployed at the moment.

Sorry this post is so long, but i wanted to try and put every detail as possible.

another little tidbit of information is my neighbors house is about 20 feet next to mine and regardless of there tv was placed within my house it still wiped out all communications on the emergency band.

Here is also a video of the amount of interference the tv is generating the neighbor shot for me when i turned my tv on PN59D8000 Interference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

I would also like to add a link the OEM website incase anyone had further questions regarding who they were OEM
post #3 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 AM

have you got the supplied ferrites attached within 1inch of all cables connected to the back of the plasma?

plasma's do generate a lot of RF interference and they supply ferrites for this exact purpose.

Short of building a copper or thin metal lined+grounded box to completely enclose the TV and all of the cabling there is not much you can do other than comply with the official warnings. Which i suggest you do
post #4 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 415
One thing you can try is running if off an UPS or other power isolating device to see if your main lines are acting as a big antenna.
post #5 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 AM

Wow, that's crazy. Obviously, comply with the warnings so as to not get fines or jailtime, but I'd suggest that instead of going with the route of Samsung fixing the problem, you firstly go to the very people making the damand of you. Since it's their problem, they should be the ones to provide the solution, and one that's a hell of a lot better than "Stop using your tv because we said so even though you couldn't possibly have known better." Demand them provide you with a compliant yet comparable replacement tv as compensation. If they say no originally, offer the plasma as a trade-in to offset the cost. If they still say no...I guess give up on them haha.

After that, though, maybe try the place you bought it from rather than Samsung directly. Show them the official letters and everything and just try to do some sort of exchange, climbing the ladder of assistant manager, manager, corporate if you have to.

If none of this gives any results...damn, I'm sorry, that's ridiculous. I guess just sell it used and cut your losses as much as you can.
post #6 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 AM
PCD

Liked: 19
What he is proposing is called a Faraday cage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

This could be expensive by the time you box everything in with drywall, paint, etc.

I dont think you have many options. Fighting the goverment is generally a losing proposition.

I would just take the loss on the TV and move on.

Evil Sysadmin

post #7 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 07:35 AM

Liked: 13
I see someone already asked but you should definitely make sure you attached the ferrite cores that came with the TV. I'd imagine a lot of people don't do this and that is what they're supposed to be used for.
post #8 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 AM

What does your neighbor have for a TV ?? It must work.
ttwomotor
post #9 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Unless they have sent you a test result showing the requencies and levels your TV is breaking the law on, it's bunk.

CALL and WRITE your senator ASAP.

buytme
post #10 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.lewarne View Post

have you got the supplied ferrites attached within 1inch of all cables connected to the back of the plasma?

plasma's do generate a lot of RF interference and they supply ferrites for this exact purpose.

Short of building a copper or thin metal lined+grounded box to completely enclose the TV and all of the cabling there is not much you can do other than comply with the official warnings. Which i suggest you do

Yes, i have the ferrite cores on the power cable and on all the hdmi cables. they make no difference with or without them.

I just want samsung to replace the tv, but they are saying they aren't responsible for manufacturing a television thats not fcc compliant.
post #11 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

One thing you can try is running if off an UPS or other power isolating device to see if your main lines are acting as a big antenna.

I had the tv on a APC 1500 pro UPS and it didnt do anything to deaden the noise, i also ran it on a power conditioner that didn't do anything. we tried relocating the tv in different places as well and nothing seemed to change the amount of noise it produced
post #12 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwomotor View Post

What does your neighbor have for a TV ?? It must work.
ttwomotor

He has the UN65D8000, which is my tv but the led version and it doesn't cause a single bit of interference.
post #13 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Give them a copy of the page in the owner's manual that says the TV complies with FCC rule Part 15. The TV certainly is approved for that and it would seem to me that even if somehow it was interfering, your responsibility as a consumer can't extend to some stricter standard which you couldn't possibly know about or understand.

jeff
post #14 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM

i agree with the dude that says to make the neighbor/whoever replace ur tv. i'm interested with this story keep updating unless u go to jail
post #15 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp View Post

Give them a copy of the page in the owner's manual that says the TV complies with FCC rule Part 15. The TV certainly is approved for that and it would seem to me that even if somehow it was interfering, your responsibility as a consumer can't extend to some stricter standard which you couldn't possibly know about or understand.

jeff

I concur. And if emergency comms can get downed by a TV than I know fed comms is just as crappy as Military comms

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #16 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Therionx....

So what frequency is your set operating at that's in violation?

This OEM is working with FCC so you'd think they'd understand that your set complied with their regulations (unless Samsung can be shown to have not followed protocol in getting their approval).

You should name this "director" ... we could write him letters. Is he one of these guys:
Richard Lee, Acting Division Chief
Eric Panketh, Deputy Chief
Tim Perrier, Associate Chief, Security and Operations
Steve Maguire, Associate Chief, Plans and Programs
James Pierson, Associate Chief, HFDF Center
Louis Sigalos, Regional Communications Liaison

These guys would probably be as effective as FEMA in a real emergency, too...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #17 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

jeff

The only issue is the tv doesn't comply with rule part 15, the frequencies the tv are interfering with are outside the regulation of the manufacturing specs of the television. according to the fcc per part 15 of their ruling no consumer residential product should interfere within a set frequency band when in fact it is.

I contacted the fcc about this and they were able to inform me a little more, also unintentional radiants from consumer products is not aloud to exceed a 10 foot radius wich in this case its close to exceeding the 60 foot range.

There is definitely something wrong with the television cause it also causes my xbox to turn on and off randomly and it makes our cordless phones intermittently loose signal.

This is why im just trying to get samsung to replace the tv or repair it.
post #18 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 41
therionx-

your neighbor isnt Jack Byrnes from Meet The Parents by any chance, is he?

...sorry but that is what im painting your neighbor as in my head
post #19 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I concur. And if emergency comms can get downed by a TV than I know fed comms is just as crappy as Military comms

They all use ham radios and plasmas are well known for wiping out ham bands.
post #20 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Therionx....

So what frequency is your set operating at that's in violation?

This OEM is working with FCC so you'd think they'd understand that your set complied with their regulations (unless Samsung can be shown to have not followed protocol in getting their approval).

You should name this "director" ... we could write him letters. Is he one of these guys:
Richard Lee, Acting Division Chief
Eric Panketh, Deputy Chief
Tim Perrier, Associate Chief, Security and Operations
Steve Maguire, Associate Chief, Plans and Programs
James Pierson, Associate Chief, HFDF Center
Louis Sigalos, Regional Communications Liaison

These guys would probably be as effective as FEMA in a real emergency, too...

My neighbor is William Hackett This guy here He spoke with Richard lee who is the fcc compliant officer who alo stated that no consumer product can interfere with emergency broadcasting thats its a violation off fcc codes.
post #21 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok just so I understand - your TV does have some sort of indication, either printed on the back or in the manual, that it complies with FCC rules Part 15, right? As far as I know it has to by law. But what's happening is an apparent interference it's generating despite supposedly being compliant, so the FCC is saying sayanora Paul's TV.

If I'm accurately describing the situation it would seem that you have grounds for a warranty claim of sorts. The TV is not performing to specification (ie you didn't get what you paid for). That or Samsung will say (which it seems they may already have) "nope, this TV is compliant, paper right here says so, too bad."

jeff
post #22 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Can you see if you can find something else wrong with the TV and get samsung to replace it? Maybe a new set can help. Or try moving the tv around the house and see if it still gives your neighbor problems

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #23 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Liked: 13
I know my 59D7000 interferes with the IR between my remote and my FiOS DVR at certain times (when trying to access VOD or sometimes my DVR recordings) - however all of my cordless phones and WiFi in my house work fine.

If it really is intefering to that extent I would think that you would have enough to file a warranty claim.
post #24 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

First of all, this is the wildest TV story I've ever heard (and I was in the TV repair business for twenty years).

As someone else suggested, I would contact the store you purchased it from, no matter how long you've had it, as they at least might put some pressure on Samsung. If that doesn't work I'd contact the local TV station's 'problem solver'. If they don't have one, try anyone in the news department. This is interesting enough that I'll bet they'll send a reporter. Neither Samsung nor the Department of Homeland Security is going to want the publicity, so that might get one of them to act, rather than blame you.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it works out! (assuming they let you send emails from Guantanamo).
post #25 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok just so I understand - your TV does have some sort of indication, either printed on the back or in the manual, that it complies with FCC rules Part 15, right? As far as I know it has to by law. But what's happening is an apparent interference it's generating despite supposedly being compliant, so the FCC is saying sayanora Paul's TV.

Correct, it is a fcc compliant device but is not holding true to the compliance, hence defective tv in my eyes.

Quote:

If I'm accurately describing the situation it would seem that you have grounds for a warranty claim of sorts. The TV is not performing to specification (ie you didn't get what you paid for). That or Samsung will say (which it seems they may already have) "nope, this TV is compliant, paper right here says so, too bad."

This is why i have been fighting with samsung. The tv in this matter is clearly defective, possibly a 1 off issue just in this particular set or possibly a piece of something larger. possibly all models are not actually compliant to the fcc rule, who knows.

What im not understanding is just because a piece of paper or stamp on the television states its fcc compliant doesn't mean by some sort of manufacturing defects or error that it really isn't. This is why i dont understand why samsung is giving me such a hard time about it.
post #26 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Can you see if you can find something else wrong with the TV and get samsung to replace it? Maybe a new set can help. Or try moving the tv around the house and see if it still gives your neighbor problems

I thought of trying to find something else wrong to try and get it replaced but i already got to far deep into this to sporadically come up with another issue.

We already moved the tv to ever single place it would fit in the house. nothing helped.
post #27 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 04:44 PM

Samsung probably knows that there TV's don't comply with FCC standards that's probably the reason they wont replace it, Or help you and there just giving you the run around about it.
post #28 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Why dont u politely ask the oem or fcc call samsung on ur behalf
post #29 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM

WOW...I love a good story about how our goverment tries to bully people around. 13 year army vet here. All the more reason to vote for Ron Paul. Very high handed tactics. If it works and it was a legal purchase then don't let the federal govenment bully you around. Get a lawyer a fight it.
post #30 of 161 Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Submit your story to consumerist.com. This is an interesting enough story that it should be posted. Probably a bigger impact than your local news unless you live in a huge market.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays