post #91 of 96 Old 03-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

To be clear, they use Amazon's "Fulfilled by Amazon" services. Amazon doesn't "use them"; they use Amazon and are listed on Amazon's web site regularly.

I agree they are pretty legit and when getting an item "Fulfilled by Amazon", you do get most of Amazon's guarantee policies (most, not all, because you can't complain to Amazon customer support if the normal remedies are insufficient; normal remedies are almost always sufficient, however).

Anyway, it's a technical point, but like you I believe, I would buy from them.

That's pretty much what I meant but thanks for the clarification . But yeah, I got my UNxxD8000 from them through Amazon, and both the sale and eventual return were painless.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

That's pretty much what I meant but thanks for the clarification . But yeah, I got my UNxxD8000 from them through Amazon, and both the sale and eventual return were painless.

Good to hear. There aren't many places online I'd buy a TV.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #93 of 96 Old 03-16-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Phew alot of fighting in this thread!

Brand loyalty has always been something I find hilarious (Apple thrives off of it). As far as Samsung vs Panasonic goes I have a 6 or 7 year old 42" Panasonic Plasma and the display has treated me very well which tends to sway me in that direction however bottom line is I do my research before making a purchase.

Both units have their problems which is without question. The whole point of having a choice is so you can get a display you like. Its clear that Swiggy is very prone to seeing slight colour differences as per the "green blob/pinkish tint" issues. There is no question that Panasonic doesnt want anyone to see it and for the most part people dont. You can liken it to people who see the "Rainbows" on a DLP display (which I am one of them). I see Rainbows on most DLP displays out there but almost everyone I talk to has no idea what I'm talking about. So for them its not a problem but if I looked at DLP displays non-stop I would find the vast majority of them to show rainbows to that point where its a problem for me.

Bottom line is that the best way to decide on a display is to simply view them both if you can. The issue that we see on forums is when people dont have that ability and then you get people from each camp saying about how the on the other brands panel is unbearable. But neither manufacturer would not release a product unless it looked very good (i.e. better than the previous year) to the vast majority of people. Being a forum about display devices obviously the people who do much of the posting are those who see these issues and post about them.

A very very small percentage of people even visit forums and a very very small percent of them post about how awesome everything is as most posts are about those having problems (same goes for youtube videos of displays)
post #94 of 96 Old 03-16-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I tried the DLP rainbows comparison and was shot down, even though it clearly applies in my mind.

It's tricky to separate out what's a problem that "most people would want to avoid" or would find troublesome vs. some persnickety little thing that only some people will even notice.

When people are unboxing their TVs and finding them pre-broken, that's a problem that even at the 0.25% level is unacceptable. If the TV is flashing different levels of brightness in a way that non-videophiles are annoyed with it, clearly unacceptable. "Blobs" that some people won't see on a test pattern but some people will see clearly inside of content? Feels like a different kind of problem.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #95 of 96 Old 03-16-2012, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I tried the DLP rainbows comparison and was shot down, even though it clearly applies in my mind.

It's tricky to separate out what's a problem that "most people would want to avoid" or would find troublesome vs. some persnickety little thing that only some people will even notice.

When people are unboxing their TVs and finding them pre-broken, that's a problem that even at the 0.25% level is unacceptable. If the TV is flashing different levels of brightness in a way that non-videophiles are annoyed with it, clearly unacceptable. "Blobs" that some people won't see on a test pattern but some people will see clearly inside of content? Feels like a different kind of problem.

What about rising black levels in the Panasonics?
post #96 of 96 Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HearingImpaired View Post

What about rising black levels in the Panasonics?

When actual evidence is shown that the black levels rose over time on 2011 Panasonics let me know (hint: the Cnet article is not evidence of any kind, I suggest critical reading of it if you think otherwise.)

In the meantime, that's still not a build-quality issue even on prior-year displays, it was designed that way.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page