Official 2012 LG PM6700 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 349 Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If you're going to take it back then I suggest getting the ST50. I wouldn't buy anything else this year unless it were the GT50 or VT50.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 349 Old 03-29-2012, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I received this set yesterday and honestly out of the box the picture was great IMHO. It is replacing a 2 year old 50" Samsung which has a fabulous picture but the new LG blew it away. Even my wife agreed! For the price and features I feel it is as good as a bargain as there is especially as it comes with 2 pair of 3D active glasses. I am one of those who let my eyes be the judge and after seeing the new Samsungs the LG's pics were as least as good. The Panny's were not out as yet but several salespeople told me that an equivalent televsion will be about $600-$700 more and not come with glasses if that is important to you. By the way, the new LG and Samsung Smart televisions do support flash this year - do not know about the Panny's.
post #33 of 349 Old 03-29-2012, 07:57 AM

Liked: 10
Just setup my new LG 6500 and LOVE it. Very impressed!!! It's my first plasma, so I don't know how it truly compares with others, but it's way better than my expectations!
post #34 of 349 Old 03-29-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by coasterman View Post

I received this set yesterday and honestly out of the box the picture was great IMHO. It is replacing a 2 year old 50" Samsung which has a fabulous picture but the new LG blew it away. Even my wife agreed! For the price and features I feel it is as good as a bargain as there is especially as it comes with 2 pair of 3D active glasses. I am one of those who let my eyes be the judge and after seeing the new Samsungs the LG's pics were as least as good. The Panny's were not out as yet but several salespeople told me that an equivalent televsion will be about $600-$700 more and not come with glasses if that is important to you. By the way, the new LG and Samsung Smart televisions do support flash this year - do not know about the Panny's.

Is the web browser a full web browser? What I'd really like to know is if you can access Hulu through the web- not Hulu Plus.

post #35 of 349 Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 AM

Coasterman -

What picture setting have to been watching it on most? I find myself watching the THX settings but do feel it comes off as too warm sometimes. I'm thinking about shelling out some money to have it calibrated, at the least pick up a calibration DVD/blue-ray and try to do it myself. So far a few days with the TV and I am loving it more and more. Can't wait to learn more and really get into some of its features.

Would love to hear what you are using as picutre settings. Some of the advanced options are above my pay grade...

Derek
post #36 of 349 Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltond18 View Post

Coasterman -

What picture setting have to been watching it on most? I find myself watching the THX settings but do feel it comes off as too warm sometimes. I'm thinking about shelling out some money to have it calibrated, at the least pick up a calibration DVD/blue-ray and try to do it myself. So far a few days with the TV and I am loving it more and more. Can't wait to learn more and really get into some of its features.

Would love to hear what you are using as picutre settings. Some of the advanced options are above my pay grade...

Derek

THX was my initial favorite but I now use standard mode with the following setings: Contrast 88,Brightness59 and sharpness 45 with no other changesand all looks great. I noticed that the Brightness control seems very sensitive - a little goes along way. I have not tried much in the web browser yet but will report when I can. The more I use this television the better I like it.
post #37 of 349 Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:

THX was my initial favorite but I now use standard mode with the following setings: Contrast 88,Brightness59 and sharpness 45 with no other changesand all looks great. I noticed that the Brightness control seems very sensitive - a little goes along way. I have not tried much in the web browser yet but will report when I can. The more I use this television the better I like it.

Tried these last night and felt the picture wasn't as crisp as the THX mode. The whites seemed too bright and skin tones seemed a little off. Curious if you or anybody else that owns the TV can suggest some other settings or calibration DVDs/blu-rays that might perfect my picture. I do like THX mode but do feel its look is too "warm" sometimes and hockey just looks "ok" on it.
post #38 of 349 Old 03-30-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:

Tried these last night and felt the picture wasn't as crisp as the THX mode. The whites seemed too bright and skin tones seemed a little off. Curious if you or anybody else that owns the TV can suggest some other settings or calibration DVDs/blu-rays that might perfect my picture. I do like THX mode but do feel its look is too "warm" sometimes and hockey just looks "ok" on it.

Have you tried the picture wizard? I have found that on certain staions the flesh tone look fine i.e. ESPN, Golf Channel and sone locals but on others not as well. I do have HD Digital Video Essentials BluRay calibration disc which seem to help some. You might want to look into this disc. If you do go down to expert mode there are alot of things you can tweak and if it does not work out you can reset your settings. the picture wizard saves your settings to Expert 1. I too am hoping some calibration settings hit the web but there may be a wait as this set is new.
post #39 of 349 Old 03-30-2012, 11:44 AM

Derek-

Here is one more setting you may want to try-

Standard Mode
Contrast= 81
Brightness=58
Sharpness=45
Color=49
Tint=R4
Edge Enhancer=ON

Everyone in my family seems to like this best. Good Luck

Mark
andrew031786 likes this.
post #40 of 349 Old 03-30-2012, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Have you tried the picture wizard?..... the picture wizard saves your settings to Expert 1.

This sounds like a good question - LG seems to promote the "Picture Wizard" as much as any other feature, so am somewhat surprised that more owners don't use it - or at least post the results of TRYING to use it.

Is PicWiz truly helpful, or just a Gimmick?
post #41 of 349 Old 03-30-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

This sounds like a good question - LG seems to promote the "Picture Wizard" as much as any other feature, so am somewhat surprised that more owners don't use it - or at least post the results of TRYING to use it.

Is PicWiz truly helpful, or just a Gimmick?

Seems to help some. This is my first LG and it contains Picture Wizard II. It does seem to help as it gives you various images to adjust contrast, color, etc. so that supposedly the picture is calibrated. I still found myself tweaking some settings for my personal preference.
post #42 of 349 Old 03-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Picture wizard II was 0 help for me but it very well could be my lack of HDTV calibration and not the tool itself. I have been playing around with the ISF expert 1 settings and this is what I have come up with.

Contrast - 85
Brightness - 55
H sharp - 10
V sharp - 10
Color - 50
Tint - 0

Dynamic contrast - off
Super resolution - off
Gamma - high
Color gamut - standard
Edge enhancer - on
Color filter - off

Noise reduction - off
Black level - low
Film mode - off
Trumotion - off
post #43 of 349 Old 03-31-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:

Picture wizard II was 0 help for me but it very well could be my lack of HDTV calibration and not the tool itself. I have been playing around with the ISF expert 1 settings and this is what I have come up with.

Contrast - 85
Brightness - 55
H sharp - 10
V sharp - 10
Color - 50
Tint - 0

Dynamic contrast - off
Super resolution - off
Gamma - high
Color gamut - standard
Edge enhancer - on
Color filter - off

Noise reduction - off
Black level - low
Film mode - off
Trumotion - off

Pretty close to mine except Contrast=93, Brightness=51,Color=52 and everthing else the same. Don't forget if you like all the settings you have you must adjust each input with the same settings i.e Bluray player, external harddrive, etc. I can also veify that mkv, mp4 and avi files work great through the USB port and picture quality was excellent including 3D movies through this port.
post #44 of 349 Old 03-31-2012, 07:13 AM

I'm curious what some of the advanced controls do. You can tell I'm a plasma noob! Any insight as to how settings like Dynamic contrast, super resolution, color filter, film mode, and trumotion make the picture better? I'm assuming they give you these options for a reason but didn't see the advantage while playing with the settings.
post #45 of 349 Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 AM

I honestly do not touch those settings - probably best left to a calibration expert. I gues if you want to adjust some of those settings and things do not work out you can then rest the picture or write down your original settings. Personally I like where the picture is now.
post #46 of 349 Old 04-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I'm curious what some of the advanced controls do. You can tell I'm a plasma noob! Any insight as to how settings like Dynamic contrast, super resolution, color filter, film mode, and trumotion make the picture better? I'm assuming they give you these options for a reason but didn't see the advantage while playing with the settings.

These options are pure crap and are better kept deactivated!

@ChadB
I would appreciate, if you could tell me, if LG finally got rid of this annoying pwm noise bug in the shades near black?? And also, if the noise near black is till such ugly and gross like the LGs from 2011 and 2010?

One thing is for sure: LG still sells mirrors as TVs...
post #47 of 349 Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Use the DVE Video Essentials and the AVS709-disc.

They help you to set up the basic settings properly and you can use them to calibrate your TV with a colorimeter.

The brightness for example has the wrong name. It is only there to dial in the right point of black! You shouldn't see noise in shade 16, let alone 15, 14, 13 etc. (means "black") and you should be able to see picture information in the shades 17, 18, 19 and so on.

I wouldn't set the contast to high, cause it makes the ABL too obvious.

IMO sooner or later a colorimeter is a must have with every televison, especially the LG-plasmas, cause they tend to have different color temperatures in the upper half of the greypattern than in the under half.

Also, the gamma is typically too light from 10IRE to 40IRE and too high from 70IRE to 95IRE.
post #48 of 349 Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 PM

One thing is for sure: LG still sells mirrors as TVs...

Sir have you personaly seen this television and it's picture?
post #49 of 349 Old 04-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

I know the behaviour of LG plasma frontglass.

When you read Chad's review, nothing has changed, especially the bright and sharp nature of the reflections.

I have the PK350 and I want to get rid of some serious problems, but clearly, this PM6700 won't do it for me.
post #50 of 349 Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM

ChadB
When you gonna compare this PM6700 to Panny ST50 as you got both now.I read somehwere you was planning to do this??
post #51 of 349 Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Yes, I have my notes from the comparison. I'll write something up.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #52 of 349 Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

That was the second time in a row, you didn't respond to me.
post #53 of 349 Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Sorry, I only see the one question about PWM noise, and I would have to look again to give you a definite answer.

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #54 of 349 Old 04-07-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

No problem.

I'm looking forward to it.
post #55 of 349 Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

I feel like I made a bad choice in going with this TV.

Why do you feel like that? Don't second guess yourself based on a review. First see if the upcoming ISF adjustments fixes most of the problems.

I too am looking at the LG 60PA6500 and 60PM6700 - based purely for financial reasons. Samsung had a 59" set for $2000 but a 60" for $3000. That to me is ludicrous. If Samsung increases their prices by $500 for the motion remote & apps - does it really add any value to the set? If Samsung drops the 59" and now you have to pay $3500 for their 60" set do you really think that people will buy them?

No, what I want is reliability and a good picture. And if the LG 60PA6500 is visually the same as the 60PM6700 then I will go with the cheaper spread because I have no use for 3D and applets. Why would I want to download sub par content when I have a BD player?

Trust me, you'd be going through the same thing had you bought a Samsung 59D7000 - you'd be worrying about screen air bubbles or popping brightness, or floating blacks and IR with the Panny. You're second guessing yourself now for buying a 15:9 TV; what do you think you're going to think when Vizio comes out with their 21:9 TV?

In my case I like the fact that the LG comes with a 2 year warranty versus the one year of the Samsung and Panny. Right now I'm leaning towards the reasonably price (to me) LG 60P6500. All I'm waiting for is the price on the Samsung 59D6500. If it's $2000 then I will buy the LG. And I will learn to live with it. (Not something I could do with their PZ950 or PZ750 - the blacks were gray. If LG has improved the blacks then I'd be satisfied.) [I don't think stating a generic price is against the rules since no specific price is being quoted for any specific model. Mods, please excuse me if it is out of bounds and edit accordingly.]

I thought the "M" in 60PM6700 meant "matte" and that it would reduce reflections.

This is what I took from the review:

Quote:

With familiar Blu Ray program material, the 6700 showed excellent shadow detail. Dark objects in the picture had visible texture and looked very well balanced. The image had an excellent sense of depth and dimensionality; the flat, bland images I saw before calibration were totally gone and replaced with a lifelike envelopment. Skin tones looked natural despite a lingering politeness to the color. Dark scenes in movies are not this TV's strong point, but bright scenes had good pop thanks to the healthy light output.

The 6700 offers a good value, with impressive features and size for the money and very extensive calibration adjustments. The image is quite good overall, especially with sports or bright programming.

Dark scenes may not be this TV's strong point but few reasonably priced sets are. Not everyone can afford a Panny VT30, for example. And no matter what set you buy the image will degrade over time. Figure you need to buy a new set every three years.

I'd rather have better 2D performance than 3D.

Second guessing? Wait until the 4K TVs come out in a few years.
post #56 of 349 Old 04-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I too am looking at the LG 60PA6500 and 60PM6700 - based purely for financial reasons.... [W]hat I want is reliability and a good picture. And if the LG 60PA6500 is visually the same as the 60PM6700 then I will go with the cheaper spread because I have no use for 3D and applets.

These two 2012 LG models are both intriguing, given their very competitive pricing - especially so early in the model year.

Have thus far seen only the PA6500 - at a couple of local BB stores - and a PA6550, which presumably is the CostCo version of the 6500.

Color & Brightness on all three panels looked VG - Exc (given limitations of store environment, of course), but Apparent Black Levels varied widely: one of the BB 6500s seemed to have Terrible Blacks, whereas the other BB unit looked very competitive with the nearby sets (which included 1 Samsung & 1 Pan plasma, + several LCD panels).

Would love to see more reviews of the LGs, but my take-away from the review you quote was that the LG had BETTER color than the Pan ST50 - especially OOTB - but mediocre black levels & worse Contrast Ratio than the Pan.

Alas, recall reading that Contrast Ratio was one of the most important specs for displays.

OTOH, might be willing to give up some of the Nice Black Level on our current 60" ST30 in exchange for a panel WITHOUT UNwanted Green & Pink Tinting....
post #57 of 349 Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 AM

So why is no one mentioning the PM9700? Isn't this supposed to have better (tru) black and a less reflective screen?
post #58 of 349 Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 PM

^^^ im thinking the same thing ^^^^^
post #59 of 349 Old 04-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logsend View Post

So why is no one mentioning the PM9700? Isn't this supposed to have better (tru) black and a less reflective screen?

Different price level - and different thread.

Is the PM9700 available in the real world yet?

*OOPS: That question belongs in the Other Thread!
post #60 of 349 Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
While out enjoying the sunshine dropped into my local “2001 Audiovideo” who happened to have the 50PM6700 on display in between last years 50PZ750 and the 50GT30. Showroom environment was basically low-lit ambient light and the sales guys at least stayed away from vivid modes and have the sets at their best un-calibrated settings.
Again I found the LGs to have decent gray scale, the GT30 would need a little tweaking, black levels under the given lighting conditions were comparable between the PM6700 and the GT30, I assume that would change in a dark room in favor of the GT30, the PZ750 was obviously lighter so at least LG have taken lowering the MLL seriously this year.
Also the silver trim on the inner and out bezel on the GT30 was a definite no no but I believe its been eliminated this years GT50.
I’ve no interest in 3D so that was not taken into account.
Over all without being anal IMHO the 6700 appears to be a descent set and under showroom conditions is a competitive unit to the basic consumer but at current prices old stock on the GT30 was only $200 more.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic , Lg 50pm6700 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 60pm6700 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page