Official 2012 LG PM6700 Series Discussion Thread [No Street Price Talk] - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 349 Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 583
These just hit the streets last Friday. She finally is in our hands for a review
She is thin and very sleek looking with hardly any bezel ! More pics to come.

LL

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 349 Old 03-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking forward to Chad's review.
post #3 of 349 Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straca View Post

looking forward to chad's review.

+1
post #4 of 349 Old 03-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
+2
post #5 of 349 Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I wonder if it will even come close to the Panasonic or Samsung in black levels this year. Last year's model was a great value aside from black levels, even after tweaking.
post #6 of 349 Old 03-10-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I wonder if it will even come close to the Panasonic or Samsung in black levels this year. Last year's model was a great value aside from black levels, even after tweaking.

They claim black levels will be 35-40% better this year
post #7 of 349 Old 03-10-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The black levels are better than last year, however last year's panel's not not good in that exact department. Overall the LG tested well, however blacks are not as good as Panasonic's.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #8 of 349 Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The black levels are better than last year, however last year's panel's not not good in that exact department. Overall the LG tested well, however blacks are not as good as Panasonic's.

How does it compare to a st30?
post #9 of 349 Old 03-11-2012, 09:08 AM

According to LG, they've changed the phosphor characteristics. Hopefully this will mean no more terrible image retention; looking forward to the review.
post #10 of 349 Old 03-11-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Wonder if the LG plasma panel tweaks for better blacks will work on the new models as well.
post #11 of 349 Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcostel View Post

How does it compare to a st30?

After the Set_Up Panel tweak, the LG has the same black level or better than the ST30. The LG also has a better picture in my opinion. The tweak made a huge difference for me, as I was unhappy with the set prior to it.
post #12 of 349 Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:

After the Set_Up Panel tweak, the LG has the same black level or better than the ST30. The LG also has a better picture in my opinion. The tweak made a huge difference for me, as I was unhappy with the set prior to it.

How did you find the glare to be?
post #13 of 349 Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcostel View Post

How did you find the glare to be?

It barely does anything to stop direct on glare. I watch at night and I just close the window shades when watching during the day.
post #14 of 349 Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:

It barely does anything to stop direct on glare. I watch at night and I just close the window shades when watching during the day.

What about room lights? Would I have to turn them off to watch?
post #15 of 349 Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

According to LG, they've changed the phosphor characteristics. Hopefully this will mean no more terrible image retention; looking forward to the review.

Hi Dave

Since lowering the MLL by doing the tweaks we have basically eliminated any noticable IR, so if LG have indeed a achieved a 30-40% lower black level it's possible they've done the same.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #16 of 349 Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Chris, by any chance did you take any pictures of the PM6700 playing something and the ST50 nearby with a display on it too?

post #17 of 349 Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm just dying to read the review....

post #18 of 349 Old 03-21-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Interested here as well.

I love the color on the LG, but my black levels have risen again, and now that I have the tv mounted I cannot adjust the pots easily anymore.

I figure if this year's ST50 or new LG are leaps and bounds better for a good price, i'll upgrade. Would love the VT but the price is too rich for my blood.
post #19 of 349 Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 PM

I want to know
Does the 50PM6700 has the anti-reflective panel or is it like a mirror??
also how much better is this PM6700 in terms of PQ and black levels then PA6500 series (if you ignore the 3D feature)??
post #20 of 349 Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldman5 View Post

I want to know
Does the 50PM6700 has the anti-reflective panel or is it like a mirror??
also how much better is this PM6700 in terms of PQ and black levels then PA6500 series (if you ignore the 3D feature)??

According to LG, the difference between the pa6500 and pm6700 is 3D and internet and the 6700 has 1 extra hdmi port. But neither has the TruBlack AR filter.

Never seen a 6700 IRL but the 6500 I saw had bad glare.
post #21 of 349 Old 03-22-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No time for pics at that moment

Chad has been super busy to post his review.

In short he says the LG is as good as the PZ550........

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #22 of 349 Old 03-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

No time for pics Chad has been super busy. In short he says the LG is as good as the PK550 from last year........

FWIW, recall that CR liked the PK550 a lot - ?

Would also be interested in how the 6500 and 6700 LGs compare - both to each other, and to - say - a 2011 Pan ST30... (3D aside, of course).

The PA6500 I saw at Best Buy looked to have a nice, Bright picture - compared very well with the sets around it (one Samsung plasma & several LCDs).
However, panel was VERY reflective - don't know how well it work in a room with light shining on the panel.
And, during the few minutes the demo material switched to Letterbox Mode, the "Black" bars were distinctly Less Black than on surrounding sets.
Could always hope that set was in Store/Vivid Mode, & base blacks would be improved my changing over to Cinema (or whatever).
post #23 of 349 Old 03-28-2012, 07:50 AM

Our old Toshiba 50Ah2 projection TV acted up last week with convergence and I've been searching/researching for a while. I decided that I couldn't fix it myself and the $350+ to have it fixed wasn't worth it on a 10 year old TV.

I did spend some time comparing the PA6500 to the Panny U50 which cost considerably more ($999). I played with the main picture settings as much as I could but the white on the Panny was definitely better but this is also over the standard Sears broadcast signal which the sales rep said was basically crap. I definitely agreed. I also compared it to the 720p PA5500 - oddly enough I can really tell the difference between all 720p and 1080p panels. I know most can't, but it's fairly obvious to me. I can usually spot them. Dunno why.

In the end, I didn't feel like waiting another couple of weeks for the lower-end Panny that will be about $805+. I also realized that I won't have both in my family room to constantly compare, so I think I'll be happy with the LG. Definitely an upgrade from the Toshiba with the exception of sound quality.

So after comparing prices everywhere, I ordered the PA6500 last night through Fatwallet (3% off) to sears.com Will pickup tonight. Overall cost is about $720 + a little gas.

If anyone is interested, I'll try to post initial reactions and pics. I'm a newb to plasma, so I'll start reading up on how to break them in. Open to suggestions and questions.

Thanks,
Josh
post #24 of 349 Old 03-28-2012, 08:06 AM

Just realized this is a thread for the 6700s - sorry! Will look for or create a 6500 thread instead.
post #25 of 349 Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 AM

I just bought the LG 60pm6700 a couple days ago. It's my first plasma...Well it's my first "BIG" boy TV to be honest. Upgraded from a 32" Westinghouse LCD, so it's def. a BIG change!

I have been lurking around the site for a couple days now and I can't wait to see what people who know what they are talking about think of this TV.

If anybody could throw some tips my way on getting the best picture I can from it or just general Plasma tips, that would be great.

Thanks everybody and I look forward to reading more.....
post #26 of 349 Old 03-28-2012, 10:06 AM

I have a 42 720P Plasma from last couple of years i need another 50 inch (1080p) for 2nd big room.my budget is around/under $1000.

can any body compare this PM6700 to last year PZ950 (w/ truBlack filter).There is not too much of a difference now in price. Does this new model has better blacks and better PQ then PZ950?? (i don't really about 3D right now but reflections from the screen does bother me). Help me chose the right one that will make me happy.
post #27 of 349 Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 347

LGs 60PM6700 plasma is a beautifully designed, 3D capable, ISF and THX certified mid-line television. The thin, attractive bezel design, along with the mirror like glass screen surface, help it to look stylish in nearly any setting. Cleveland Plasma owner Chris Majoros called to let me know he had LGs latest beauty along with a new model Panasonic on the way, ready for a full calibration and evaluation.

I have had mixed feelings about the last few model lines of LGs plasmas. The PK550 from a couple years ago was a standout value, providing very solid, though not ground breaking, performance at a bargain price. Ironically LGs higher end models and subsequent models tended to not improve real, verifiable performance over the PK550; rather, they added features like 3D or features that supposedly increased performance in one way or another but were found lacking. Surprisingly, measured performance actually diminished in many areas.

Unfortunately, that mirror like screen surface tended to attract my attention in ways that were not always good. In anything but a totally dark room, sharp, distinct reflections distracted me from the 6700s image. Yes, its clean, clear, and 3 dimensional in bright rooms. But thats before the 6700 is turned on. While watching TV, it would be better to have all that crystal clear depth coming from the image, not from reflections. The 6700 is best suited to rooms with good light control.

Before calibration:

After loading familiar program material into the Blu Ray player, the 6700s out of the box picture quality was evaluated before making any changes except changing from one picture mode to another.

The 6700 is shipped in a picture mode called APS, which is an energy conscious mode that restricts power usage by limiting light output. While actually not as dark as similar eco modes on some other brands, the image was nonetheless far too dark. Colors seemed naturally toned, though too rich. In other words, red looked a little too red. Dark objects in the image, such as black hair and dark clothing, sunk down into black blobs. Pans and movement had the infamous Soap Opera Effect: they were smoothed to the point of looking fake. The image was bland overall, though there was a decent sense of depth to the image.

Switching to Standard mode, brightness improved tremendously. Pans and motion were also less annoying, and detail in dark shadows was better though it still had a long way to go. However, the picture lacked richness, and flesh tones were pale. Detail looked etched rather than natural, though overall there was decent pop and depth to the image.

THX mode was a disappointment. The image looked washed out, flat, and bland in THX mode. There were signs of good color tone, but flesh tones were somewhat pale. Worst of all, there was a pasty, caked on makeup look in brightly lit lighter skinned faces that I found distracting.

ISF Expert 1 and 2 are capable of being finely tuned by patient and well equipped calibrators, when they can be renamed and locked into ISF Day and Night modes. Even before that calibration, the ISF Expert mode looked less washed out than THX mode, and the colors, while still lacking richness, acquired more depth. The image was fairly natural overall, with a moderate amount of pop and contrast, though some pumping and instability could be seen.

Calibration:

The 6700 displays 1080P/24 at 96 Hz, as verified by the sync reading on my Jeti spectroradiometer. It displays other scan rates at 60 Hz, as expected. I was puzzled to find that, in the advanced menu for the ISF Expert mode, the so called 2 point adjustment was actually just 1 point! Thankfully, this bug is not too serious a flaw since there is also a 20 point adjustment, but it still should be addressed. Speaking of 20 point adjustments, I feel that a 20 point is too much of a good thing; 10 points is perfectly adequate and would leave less likelihood of banding and other problems caused by all but the most patient and determined calibrators. LG should eliminate the 20 point adjustments internal test pattern option from their plasmas, since the internal patterns are full screen and are therefore of absolutely no use in adjusting this control.

I was disappointed to find the white balance in 1080P/24 measured significantly different than any other scan rate. The difference was enough to cause a noticeable yellowing to 1080P/24 material when the set was calibrated for 1080i, and conversely there would be visible problems with 1080i (and most others) if the set were calibrated with 1080P/24 input. That can be worked around by calibrating Night mode for 1080P/24 and Day mode for everything else, but who is going to want to give up their separate Day and Night modes to compensate for a design flaw? Are they going to be happy to spend the extra calibration time adjusting the 20 point adjustment twice? Im sure no one will mind switching back and forth between Day and Night modes depending on the scan rate they are watching.

With 1080P/24 input, black level measured .0228 fL. The 3x3 checkerboard measured .0274 fL black and 17.66 fL white, for a modified ANSI contrast ratio of 645:1.
With 1080i (or any scan rate other than 1080P/24), the black level measured .014 fL and the ANSI checked in at 1067:1, with a black measurement of .018 fL and white at 19.2 fL.

One technique some LG plasma owners have discovered is a hot-rodding procedure to lower the black levels and increase contrast. This procedure is documented on the forums, but its not authorized by LG and will probably void the warranty. Side effects and consequences of taking a new TV apart and adjusting service-only trim pots are a bit of an unknown and should be seriously considered before attempting. Needless to say, this procedure was not attempted on this review sample.

The 6700 showed high susceptibility to image retention with my test patterns, though the set was brand new and break in could alleviate that somewhat.

The screen blanked to a very, very dark black when no picture content was displayed. However, as soon as any content at all was displayed, the entire screens black level rose immediately. I had to trick the 6700 to get the pre-blanked black level measurement.

After calibration:

With familiar Blu Ray program material, the 6700 showed excellent shadow detail. Dark objects in the picture had visible texture and looked very well balanced. The image had an excellent sense of depth and dimensionality; the flat, bland images I saw before calibration were totally gone and replaced with a lifelike envelopment. Skin tones looked natural despite a lingering politeness to the color. Dark scenes in movies are not this TVs strong point, but bright scenes had good pop thanks to the healthy light output.

The 6700 offers a good value, with impressive features and size for the money and very extensive calibration adjustments. The image is quite good overall, especially with sports or bright programming.

Soft drink manufacturers have the right idea when it comes to bringing back old classics; I like the throwback Pepsi that has real sugar like they used to use. The 6700 impressed me as a throwback in its own right: to a solid performer of 2 years ago, LGs own PK550. However, the question must be asked: should two years of technology bring more than 3D and smart features?

LG 60PM6700 2.zip 407.26171875k . file

LG 60PM6700 ISF Day 60_24 Hz input difference.pdf 264.541015625k . file

LG 60PM6700 ISF Day.pdf 264.4423828125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LG 60PM6700 ISF Day.pdf (264.4 KB, 254 views)
File Type: pdf LG 60PM6700 ISF Day 60_24 Hz input difference.pdf (264.5 KB, 221 views)
File Type: zip LG 60PM6700 2.zip (407.3 KB, 237 views)

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

post #28 of 349 Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Dang.

post #29 of 349 Old 03-28-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Figures.

Unless LG made some significant changes in PQ to the PM6900 over the PZ950, there really is no reason to buy an LG plasma this year, unless they heavily cut prices to compensate. Its a shame, because LG plasmas "could" be good tvs, LG just keeps dropping the ball on them.
post #30 of 349 Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 PM

As I posted above I just bought this TV 2 days ago and was looking at having it calibrated. I feel like I made a bad choice in going with this TV. It was between the
LG 60PM6700 and the Sharp LC-60LE640U. I will fully admitt I know very little about TV's and was going with a friends help and the sales guy. 2 questions....

1) Between the two TV's, picture and performance wise, what was the better choice?

and

2) Though this review was far from perfect is the TV still a good buy or should I look at other options....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Plasma Hdtv , Displays , Panasonic , Lg 50pm6700 Plasma Hdtv , Lg 60pm6700 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page