Best buy warranty or not? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Discover card offers the square trade warranty on stuff over $500 I believe. Thanks for the tip on the 1 extra year with american express. I think I have one of those cards somewhere. I need to find it ASAP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decepticon07 View Post

Out of curiosity what was the problem and brand of TV? Also, how long did it take them to give you 100% of your money back?

It was a 60" Sharp E88UN. It was dropping HDMI connections randomly on Port #5. It took 60 days - their policy states that if they can't get it fixed in 60 days, they pay you out towards another TV. I got a replacement TV and then returned it, leaving me with all that store credit so I could buy a 2012 plasma instead. I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

=Tommy v2=
post #63 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I say if it is a 2500.00 + television get the warranty. I did when I purchased my plasma around 7 years ago used the warranty just before the 4 years is up. They were relatively new HP brand. I figured they have been making computer monitors for years. After it was repaired I am still using today. Today I doubt when I replace the plasma I will not get the warranty but it is going to be a Sony brand. Been very happy with my Sony 3D pj

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #64 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Here's my 2 cents on extended warranties. I decided over 15 years ago that I would never buy extended warranties with the hope that I'd "save" enough to cover any issues in the future. 15 years later I have saved thousands of dollars by not buying extended warranties.

If my LG plasma explodes and takes my Onkyo receiver out and even the sofas in my living room I could not care less because of how much I've saved. When extended warranties cost 5% of a product's original cost I MIGHT consider one every now and then. But when they are 20-40% of the cost you know where those salesguys can go. My credit card adds 1 year warranty to products that I buy so it's another excuse for me not to buy extended warranties.

e
post #65 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Smith View Post

ARC7,

Are you positive that you have to buy the tv from Costco in order to utilize the Square Trade warranty? Down here we can buy the warranty from Costco and apply it towards a tv purchased from almost any retailer.

Well there seems to be some confusion about this point up here, as when I spoke to a rep at my local Costco that's the impression I got. Having said that, I just spoke to a rep from SquareTrade on the phone and he said that TVs are the exception, in that I can buy the TV elsewhere and get the SqaureTrade warranty from Costco and it'll be ok. Hopefully this is true in this case.

EDIT: I found a bit more info regarding the SquareTrade warranty; The main difference in buying the TV from Costco compared to buying it elsewhere is that the Costco Concierge Service still takes effect for the first two years and then the SquareTrade one starts, so it'll be 5 years total (first 2 years are Costco warranty then 3 years of SquareTrade), whereas a TV bought elsewhere with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, the SqareTrade starts from day one so it supplants it for a total of 3 years.
post #66 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC7 View Post

EDIT: I found a bit more info regarding the SquareTrade warranty; The main difference in buying the TV from Costco compared to buying it elsewhere is that the Costco Concierge Service still takes effect for the first two years and then the SquareTrade one starts, so it'll be 5 years total (first 2 years are Costco warranty then 3 years of SquareTrade), whereas a TV bought elsewhere with a 1 year manufacturer's warranty, the SqareTrade starts from day one so it supplants it for a total of 3 years.

Thanks for the info! I've never heard of SquareTrade before, but possibly I should look into them for the TV I purchased from Future Shop a couple of weeks ago.
post #67 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneNumm View Post

Thanks for the info! I've never heard of SquareTrade before, but possibly I should look into them for the TV I purchased from Future Shop a couple of weeks ago.

Definitely look into it as it's of a much better value compared to FS's PSP. They are for all intents and purposes identical in coverage but SquareTrade's is a fraction of the price. Also, while the 3 year is $99, you can add an extra year to make it four for an extra $30, making it $132 (according to a SquareTrade rep I spoke with).

Also, there is a stipulation that you must activate the SquareTrade warranty within 60 days of purchase of the TV.
post #68 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM

Liked: 14
We opted not to get a extra warranty since with the last two sets we've bought we used the American Express card and you get one year extra coverage. I can understand a laptop or camera that you actually handle a lot or in different settings.
post #69 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought my 55GT30 from BB and also purchased a 3 year warranty for $99 from Square Trade.BB wanted to charge me $189.99 for 2yrs,I ran out of there faster than scooby doo and went home and ordered from Costco dot com for the square trade deal...

I would go this route as its cheaper and SQT haves a good reputation...
post #70 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

I bought my 55GT30 from BB and also purchased a 3 year warranty for $99 from Square Trade.BB wanted to charge me $189.99 for 2yrs,I ran out of there faster than scooby doo and went home and ordered from Costco dot com for the square trade deal...

I would go this route as its cheaper and SQT haves a good reputation...

Thanks. So, being in Canada, and having a Costco membership, would I:

a) go to a Costco store and get the ST warranty for my Future Shop TV?

b) go to Costco.ca and do it (I took a quick look, but didn't see anything)?

c) get in touch with Square Trade directly?

Thanks

Edit: I think I found the page on costco.ca

Edit2: "This service is currently only available for purchase, for members who reside in the provinces of Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Prince Edward Island.". I'm in British Columbia. Denied!
post #71 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneNumm View Post

Thanks. So, being in Canada, and having a Costco membership, would I:

a) go to a Costco store and get the ST warranty for my Future Shop TV?

b) go to Costco.ca and do it (I took a quick look, but didn't see anything)?

c) get in touch with Square Trade directly?

Thanks

Edit: I think I found the page on costco.ca

Edit2: "This service is currently only available for purchase, for members who reside in the provinces of Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Prince Edward Island.". I'm in British Columbia. Denied!

Don't give up just yet. It might be a Costco thing limiting BC. Contact ST directly, their number is 1877-Warranty and you can get it directly from them. Let us know what happens.
post #72 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Here's a quote from Costco.com:

"SquareTrade can also be bought to protect TVs bought outside of Costco, where 3 year added protection begins at end of manufacturer's warranty."

I've read that if you buy the ST warranty from anyone but Costco your assumption is correct, but Costco and ST apparently worked out a deal to begin coverage AFTER the manufacturer's warranty.
post #73 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Smith View Post

Here's a quote from Costco.com:

"SquareTrade can also be bought to protect TVs bought outside of Costco, where 3 year added protection begins at end of manufacturer's warranty."

I've read that if you buy the ST warranty from anyone but Costco your assumption is correct, but Costco and ST apparently worked out a deal to begin coverage AFTER the manufacturer's warranty.

Interesting. On Costco Canada's site (link) it mentions nothing about coverage for TVs purchased elsewhere.
post #74 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 PM

Liked: 14
- If you aren't buying from Costco do an internet search for "Square Trade discount coupons" and you will see a lot of them for $'s or %'s off a warranty.

-Has anyone used the credit card warranties? It sounds like a great deal and negates the use of purchasing an extended warranty. Of course I was looking at using the 0% interest at one of the stores to buy a TV, now I have to reconsider that.
post #75 of 75 Old 03-16-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Don't give up just yet. It might be a Costco thing limiting BC. Contact ST directly, their number is 1877-Warranty and you can get it directly from them. Let us know what happens.

Thanks. I just called them. The dude said that if the TV is bought from a retail outfit here (I presume he means B.C. Canada), that they cannot provide the warranty. He said that it has to do with a lack of depots (not sure if that was BS, but who knows). He said that they are working on getting depots here.

I asked him if he knew of any other companies here that might offer the same service, and after he put me on hold for 5 minutes while he did some research and analysis, he came up with: All Canadian Warranty Inc, 613-260-0552. I haven't checked them out yet, so we'll see.

Anyway, thanks again.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page