Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
emu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

I've been looking at these two Panny panels and the good deals available on both right now. I might go for the 55" versions but regardless I'm curious about the performance of either of these in a fairly bright room. I wouldn't call it sunny, just that there are some windows which have blinds but they aren't blackout (vertical blinds) and I suspect a low end plasma with no filter will be too reflective and at some times during the day would make viewing difficult.

I believe the GT30 has an anti reflective filter, does the ST30 have one at all?

Which would you recommend for the room I described? I'm not worried about internet connectivity etc. since I'll have a HTPC connected.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-12-2012, 08:43 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu View Post

Hi All,

I've been looking at these two Panny panels and the good deals available on both right now. I might go for the 55" versions but regardless I'm curious about the performance of either of these in a fairly bright room. I wouldn't call it sunny, just that there are some windows which have blinds but they aren't blackout (vertical blinds) and I suspect a low end plasma with no filter will be too reflective and at some times during the day would make viewing difficult.

I believe the GT30 has an anti reflective filter, does the ST30 have one at all?

The ST30 uses the exact same plasma panel and AR Filter as the GT30, and a few of my friends have ST30s in a fairly bright room and the AR Filter does a good job.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
emu

Thanks Randy. I have two plasmas already, one 63" Samsung in a light controlled room and one 50" Panasonic in a bedroom both of which look awesome. The Samsung seems to have more IR although it never bother me.

So it seems the choice between the GT and the ST is down to it's features which don't seem to be that significant. THX mode, one extra HDMI, VGA and some people claim slightly better blacks from the GT. The difference is $200 so pretty minor, think I could go either way. I can't believe they don't give you any 3D glasses though...
post #4 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
emu

Quote:

Thanks Randy. I have two plasmas already, one 63" Samsung in a light controlled room and one 50" Panasonic in a bedroom both of which look awesome. The Samsung seems to have more IR although it never bother me.

So it seems the choice between the GT and the ST is down to it's features which don't seem to be that significant. THX mode, one extra HDMI, VGA and some people claim slightly better blacks from the GT. The difference is $200 so pretty minor, think I could go either way. I can't believe they don't give you any 3D glasses though...

Oh, I had another question... The 3D glasses seem to have a limited range with some people claiming they had to sit 7 feet away for them to work. Our couch is easily 15 feet away from the TV. Any options or should I simply skip 3D glasses?
post #5 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 06:48 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

What are the model numbers of your existing TVs? Some models have better AR Filters than others, knowing what model already will help us compare their AR Filters to that of the ST30/GT30.

Quote:

So it seems the choice between the GT and the ST is down to it's features which don't seem to be that significant. THX mode, one extra HDMI, VGA and some people claim slightly better blacks from the GT. The difference is $200 so pretty minor, think I could go either way.

If i were to buy a 2011 model, i would have paid the extra money for the GT30 primarily due to it's thinner and nicer looking bezel, and that extra HDMI would be handy too. I don't like THX mode (i much prefer Custom), and the VGA is limited to 768p so it's virtually useless (it makes the PC desktop look horrible compared to HDMI).

Quote:

I can't believe they don't give you any 3D glasses though...

Why? It's actually a very smart move. The vast majority of TV buyers have no interest in the 3D feature so including a pair of $150 glasses (that most people would just throw in the drawer) would add a lot to the price of the TV and they would lose sales. If someone really wants to use the 3D feature then they probably already have a 3D source or are planning to buy one and would then be willing to spend the extra money to also buy the glasses. But i'm glad they don't make the rest of us pay extra for something we'll never ever use.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
emu

Samsung PN63B550 (in the light controlled room) and a Panasonic 50" Plasma, about a year old, lower end but it does have 1080 moving resolution. I don't have access to it right now and don't recall the model number.

The VGA connection would just be for the occasional connection to a laptop. The HTPC would be connected via HDMI. Agreed on the slim line profile, I discovered that was the case for the GT today and to me that's worth the extra $$$.

Fair comment on the 3D glasses, although I do balk at having to spend a significant amount extra period. To be honest, 3D is low on my wish list but I must confess I'm curious to see how it is beyond the few minutes I've experienced at various retail stores.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm definitely leaning towards the GT. Just need to decide if the 65" is worth the extra $700 or so over the 55".
post #7 of 7 Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
emu

Oh, any thoughts on the limited range of the 3d glasses? We'll be sitting 15' away.

I have to confess I'm considering the Samsung PN64D7000 or 8000 now. It's more expensive at the moment and I know 3d is low on my priority list but the Samsung glasses appear to be 25 bucks each and are not line of site (bluetooth). Honestly I think I'd be happy with either TV in terms of picture quality but the premium for the Samsung over the Panasonic seems a bit much... 300 - 500 from a quick look around. Nice look design for the Samsung too.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt30 65 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page