PQ difference between UT series and last year's ST series? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-14-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I need a 42" set because it's going in a bedroom to be used for PC gaming, amongst other things. I personally tried the 42ST30 and it thought it was perfect for my needs. I don't need an anti-reflection filter because there will be no windows in a dim lit room, and I like the 'perceived sharpness' of no filter.

With that said... do I need to start looking for a 42ST30 right now or will I be satisfied with the 42UT50? I ask because I like buying new and would be easier to get my hands on a current/upcoming model. I'd rather have something to work on me and pay the extra cash, especially if the fbr issue has been fixed. I only need one hdmi input, no speakers, prefer no anti-glare filter, etc. The only thing that scares me is that there is no 42ST50 this year so how badly is this UT series gimped?

Bottom line will the UT series have worse color, motion processing, etc than last year's ST series? 42" is the biggest I want so I'm looking for the best. If the UT series is that then it'll save me the headache of finding a perfect model from last year.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The 42ST30 has a better AR filter for controlling glare, and as a result, black levels may be a bit better. But the UT should have the newer, brighter panel, with the upgraded video processing. Although the ST30 may be a better choice, they are rapidly disappearing from inventory. Check Sears, Best Buy, and Costco.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-14-2012, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the same boat, I need a 42" and the UT series is now the only option. I can't find a 42" ST series anywhere, and the few left remaining online are all overpriced.

I think you'll be okay especially if you don't need the AR filter. The more important piece of info for PC users is 4:4:4 chroma capability which the ST series doesn't have anyway.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm not sure I understand what benefit the AR filter gives me? I keep hearing about this AR filter on the ST series in this forum like it's some holy grail but nobody says what it does beside reduce glare. Is that it?

This will be going in a room with no windows and I ALWAYS watch tv in the dark. If someone could please explain the benefit still to me that would be great. Also how does having the AR filter result in better blacks? It seems it would do the opposite.

Educate me!
post #5 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Some Panasonic info:

Contrast - new AR filter

While dramatically reducing reflections from external light, this filter helps to produce the clear, sharp images that Panasonic VIERA Plasma TV's are known for. Combined with it's wide colour gamut, the new anti-reflective filter allows for rich, naturl colour. Images are clear and sharp with minimal reflections.
https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...sma/viera2.asp
post #6 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I'm not sure I understand what benefit the AR filter gives me? I keep hearing about this AR filter on the ST series in this forum like it's some holy grail but nobody says what it does beside reduce glare. Is that it?

This will be going in a room with no windows and I ALWAYS watch tv in the dark. If someone could please explain the benefit still to me that would be great. Also how does having the AR filter result in better blacks? It seems it would do the opposite.

Educate me!

Benefit for you? None really IMO.

I'm personally not a fan of AR coatings, so maybe someone else would like to chime in.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

If the UT50 performs like the ST50, then I'd go for the UT50 over the ST30.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

Educate me!

I know this is from another forum, but it is a Europe based forum, so nobody cares. Read this and you will understand about the Panasonic Plasma. Very good info. You have to read the entire post to understand. There is a lot of good info in the pictures as well. One of the pictures shows how the plasma filter works in detail. Just scrol down to about half way and you should see it.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forum...onference.html

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #9 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

I know this is from another forum, but it is a Europe based forum, so nobody cares. Read this and you will understand about the Panasonic Plasma. Very good info. You have to read the entire post to understand. There is a lot of good info in the pictures as well. One of the pictures shows how the plasma filter works in detail. Just scrol down to about half way and you should see it.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forum...onference.html

That's a great article, thank you for sharing!

-JR
post #10 of 10 Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 PM

finally please tell me is it better to buy a ut 50 over st 30?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page