Panasonic 2011 Green and Pink Tint - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Oct. 2011 build....and don't have it....at first I didn't like the darkness of this 55st30...but after a few hundred hours of use...it has brightened up and looks fantastic now...using DNice settings...with no panel prep....I just think the phosphors have to age a little to get the quality we expect from a panny....very happy I didn't return it now....early on...I was tempted to send it back...there is a definite break in period for plasma..and DNice has an advanced solution for those that are unwilling to wait....happy owner now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 03:32 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgurl View Post

A few shots of my Panasonic 55ST30.

While the Green and Pink is not visible to the naked eye on my Panny. It does appear that in Paint by zooming in I can see the green and Pink botches all throughout the Panel. I need further testing to see if this is the nature of zooming on an LCD. Will check my CRT monitor in bedroom and do some comparsion shots of my old Panny S1.

P.S this is all for fun, nothingmore

I can see faint pink/green on your fourth pic.....same places they exist on mine....I believe a settings adjustment might bring it out more.
post #63 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierkdr View Post

Ditto.

The Green BLOB on this latest 60" ST30 has all-but-disappeared - around 500 hours now - however, the panel keeps a nice Green-Substituted-For-Gray at certain levels of Gray scale, and PINK TINT remains visible in some scenes as well - although MOSTLY only during B&W content (will show up in some "dirty whites" if they are displayed near edges of the screen: fog, med-dark clouds, and LAB COATS - think HOUSE for the latter....).

Nearly 5 weeks until Final Decision Date...

I will have to watch some all b/w content to see how mine are doing at this point. Where do you find the hour counter on our sets? I am curious how many I have racked up.
post #64 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 View Post

I can see faint pink/green on your fourth pic.....same places they exist on mine....I believe a settings adjustment might bring it out more.

Bro.. you got some amazing eyes if you see pink tint on that fourth photo. It was a different slide than the second one. and does has a tint, but not in botches, it would be the entire screen which is what the slide was.

Care to point it out and i'll check again in person.
post #65 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:

Bro.. you got some amazing eyes if you see pink tint on that fourth photo. It was a different slide than the second one. and does has a tint, but not in botches, it would be the entire screen which is what the slide was.

Care to point it out and i'll check again in person.

They are not really blotches or blobs as they have been named. They are not defined shapes at all. What I see in the fourth is a slight darkening on left edge/upper corner. I don't trust the calibration of my monitor or that your camera is recording everything exactly as my eyes would see it in person. So when I say I can see it on your screen, I am seeing what looks like a panel uniformity issue that appears to be similar to what I have. If I were at your house, I may or may not see pink where I am seeing it darken slightly at the edges.
post #66 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 07:47 AM

If we're talking overall screen uniformity (meaning brighter or darker area of the screen)blobs and pink tint excluded, then it could be possible to see this in person, I will check later, however, I was focused on the title of the thread as far as green and pink tint. lets just pretend it is a uniform issue, I'm still not seeing it as green or pink??

I do agree my camera could be causing it, and it is very likely taking a photo of my 2009 S1 will show similiar results, and this raises even more questions with uniformity as in.... how many displays are truly 100% down to a T uniform. but beside the point.

PS this is all for Fun and Kicks
post #67 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 08:05 AM

I checked my S1 and on certain slides the screen is emiting more light. But this is all new to me I thought I was looking for green blobs and pink tint to throw the display off making it none uniform.

As for the topic of the thread pertaining to green and pink tint I'm still saying not all 2011 Panasonic sets have this.
post #68 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Panasonic Rep just left and he needs to send his findings to the Engineers for further analysis. It turns out the UK fix was only for 50" sizes and would not be applicable for my 60ST30. While he was here he ran some panel generated screens to bypass the video processing and the tint was still present confirming that it wasn't just a processing issue. He definitely noticed that when the lower light output settings were use it showed the problem more. This is the reason why I never saw the problem when running D-Nice's panel prep as it was at 100 contrast and cool2. I got the feeling that they are genuinely interested in finding out the cause and coming up with a solution to these issues.
post #69 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 03:08 PM

Pwiss,

I really hope they do something about your set seeing as with my own TV no one should have to have or put up with these issues.

BTW, thanks for your recommendation on using a lower light setting, I tryed default custon and turning my light outdown down to 20 but on my particular set I'm still not seeing any difference.
post #70 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 03:15 PM

About the screen uniformity, I forgot about the darkness of the AR filter and how d-nice noted that if you were standing above it from a close distance and looking down it washed out kind of like an LCD.

What i'm getting at... all photo's should probably be took from the front with the camera lens dead center of the screen-to prevent any washing out by the AR filter from varying angles.
post #71 of 78 Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pwiss,

I really hope they do something about your set seeing as with my own TV no one should have to have or put up with these issues.

BTW, thanks for your recommendation on using a lower light setting, I tryed default custon and turning my light outdown down to 20 but on my particular set I'm still not seeing any difference.

Cinema and also Custom with warm2 show it the most. Slide 4 of the prep slides is the slide it is most visible on. If you set has good uniformity with the mentioned picture modes on slide 4 then you have one of the good sets.
post #72 of 78 Old 04-14-2012, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Panasonic is sending a tech out next Monday with parts and software. I will be very interested to see what they can do.

Could not find a follow-up: Did tech show? Install Update?

Results?

We have a Svc Tech scheduled to show up here this coming Monday (April 16), also to install a Firmware Update that Panasonic is sending them to address the growing Pink Tint on our 60" ST30....

Thought about simply sending this panel back (along with the 3 earlier working 2011 60" panels we've had) - but the Green Blob has all-but-disappeared, and the Green Tint is MOSTLY "invisible" in normal program material.

And while the PINK is a serious problem with some content, OVERALL this panel has "settled in" rather nicely: when PINK is NOT visible, the PQ is rather impressive, especially (of course) with HD material.

INTERESTING:
When we called Panasonic, one of first questions was "Are you seeing GREEN?"

When Svc Tech called Pan technical support, he as asked whether the panel had "aged the 500 hours needed to fully settle in?" Apparently that usage must mark a decision point of some sort for Pan...

We'll see what happens on Monday...
post #73 of 78 Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Could not find a follow-up: Did tech show? Install Update?

Results?

We have a Svc Tech scheduled to show up here this coming Monday (April 16), also to install a Firmware Update that Panasonic is sending them to address the growing Pink Tint on our 60" ST30....

Thought about simply sending this panel back (along with the 3 earlier working 2011 60" panels we've had) - but the Green Blob has all-but-disappeared, and the Green Tint is MOSTLY "invisible" in normal program material.

And while the PINK is a serious problem with some content, OVERALL this panel has "settled in" rather nicely: when PINK is NOT visible, the PQ is rather impressive, especially (of course) with HD material.

INTERESTING:
When we called Panasonic, one of first questions was "Are you seeing GREEN?"

When Svc Tech called Pan technical support, he as asked whether the panel had "aged the 500 hours needed to fully settle in?" Apparently that usage must mark a decision point of some sort for Pan...

We'll see what happens on Monday...

Unfortunately no progress yet. The Panasonic Rep heard back from engineering that they are still looking for a fix for all 2011 Panasonic models. If you get a fix for the 60 inch version I would be surprised.
post #74 of 78 Old 04-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

Unfortunately no progress yet. The Panasonic Rep heard back from engineering that they are still looking for a fix for all 2011 Panasonic models. If you get a fix for the 60 inch version I would be surprised.

Had assumed that the Firmware Update would be the same as released earlier in the UK - or some variation of it.

Have read that the UK Update provided a Mild improvement at best, but was still hoping....

Hate to send a 5th panel back, but am prepared to do so if Pink remains at current levels (or grows even worse!).
post #75 of 78 Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Had assumed that the Firmware Update would be the same as released earlier in the UK - or some variation of it.

Have read that the UK Update provided a Mild improvement at best, but was still hoping....

Hate to send a 5th panel back, but am prepared to do so if Pink remains at current levels (or grows even worse!).

My rep said that the UK update only worked for the 50" models. I assume that engineering is working on a variation of that for the larger sizes.

I wish the UK response would have been that the update completely got rid of the problem.

It is amazing how some things play out. I have a Sony 60XBR2 SXRD that almost every owner has reported having the "green blob" issue but mine has been blob free for over 5 years. The I go for a 14th Gen Panasonic panel and have a green and pink issue. Go figure.
post #76 of 78 Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Local Service Rep returned today, carrying two SD Cards containing firmware updates.

1) Inserting the first of these revealed that it contained an update that was already installed on our Nov Build 60" ST30.

2) The second card looked more promising: it carried an update that had NOT yet been applied to our set.
Purpose (per the Tech): "Change the Scan Board Rate for Updating Pixels."
Info (Presented On Screen): System Update:
PDP Panel 2011 60ST30 (For USA) #ST30 Use Only
DCC v7963
PDROM v7541 (32MB)

Tech told me that if they were to replace the Main Board, the new one would already have this update installed.

3) A few minutes after initiating the Update process, it appeared to successfully complete - that is, the TV did NOT "Brick Itself!"

4) Alas, this particular Firmware Update had ZERO Visible Impact on the Pink Tint that afflicts our panel: neither the Service Rep, nor I, could see any difference in the two test scenes we used (which we viewed both Before and After the update).

5) Tech reported "compete failure" to his main office, expressed his regrets at the failure, and told me to expect another call when THEY hear back from Panasonic as to a possible Next Step. (Estimate is "within 72 hours or so"; to their credit, they were MUCH quicker than that after his first visit.)

Guess it is up to Panasonic as to What they will try next, but Tech suggested only thing(s) he could think of would be to "start replacing parts - including possibly the panel itself."

Sigh.
post #77 of 78 Old 04-16-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dierkdr:

Sorry to hear those results. Very similar to my visit.
post #78 of 78 Old 04-18-2012, 02:17 AM

Liked: 20
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page