Panasonic 2011 Green and Pink Tint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 78 Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just swapped my August 2011 build 60ST30 for another which happened to be the same month build. I am seeing the exact same Green and Pink tint issue as the first one. I will attach a picture of what the screen looks like on slide 5 off the Evangelo slides: The picture was taken in the Cinema setting with warm 2 as the color temp choice.

Could other owners do me a favor and post pictures with the above settings to see how common this problem is. I have a feeling I could keep swapping sets and still be seeing the same issue.
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 PM

Liked: 10
It is on every 2011 set, it is an established defect.
post #3 of 78 Old 03-17-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

And it has been discussed to death both here and at HDJ. Please search. You'll find out everything you need to know.
post #4 of 78 Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

And it has been discussed to death both here and at HDJ. Please search. You'll find out everything you need to know.

I have been searching for info for several says already. You went through 3 GT's . Dierk is on his 4th ST. Yet D-Nice has never seen it and CNET, Hometheater.com and all of the reviewers mentioned nothing of it. Panasonic released a patch in the UK but it seems everyone has given up in North America. I called Panasonic and they hadn't heard of it. I have an email out and am waiting to hear back. The most curious thing to me if some people go through multiple panels and others don't see it.
post #5 of 78 Old 03-18-2012, 08:00 AM

I have never seen the blobs on my set and have looked very hard. Using all sorts of different sources to try and spot it, especially since I'm still within my return period. From past experiences, trying to get Panasonic to admit anything is a waste. My S2 had the floating blacks and they were very noticable to even the average viewer. (i'm very suprised Panasonic got away with the floating black issue, since it was equal or worse than the flunctating brightness.problem. Luckily I've only seen very very subtle FBr in maybe one movie the whole time I've owned the ST30, and even then I'm unsure about that.
post #6 of 78 Old 03-18-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post

I just swapped my August 2011 build 60ST30 for another which happened to be the same month build. I am seeing the exact same Green and Pink tint issue as the first one. I will attach a picture of what the screen looks like on slide 5 off the Evangelo slides: The picture was taken in the Cinema setting with warm 2 as the color temp choice.

Could other owners do me a favor and post pictures with the above settings to see how common this problem is. I have a feeling I could keep swapping sets and still be seeing the same issue.

I only have a P&S camera, so I'm not sure how precise it would be at getting you what you want to see. But anyway, when I get a chance I'd be glad to try your procedure as well as taking photo's and see if I can spot this problem.

Edit: CAn you see the blobs on your particular TV while watching B&W programming?
post #7 of 78 Old 03-18-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have been searching for info for several says already. You went through 3 GT's . Dierk is on his 4th ST. Yet D-Nice has never seen it and CNET, Hometheater.com and all of the reviewers mentioned nothing of it. Panasonic released a patch in the UK but it seems everyone has given up in North America. I called Panasonic and they hadn't heard of it. I have an email out and am waiting to hear back. The most curious thing to me if some people go through multiple panels and others don't see it.

Panasonic hasn't acknowledged that the problem even exists, yet they released a firmware "fix" for the European market. That speaks volumes. Anyway, the track record you describe above should answer your question - if you're going to swap out your panel for another 2011 ST/GT/VT Panasonic, you're rolling the dice as to whether or not you'll get a blobbed set. It's a crap shoot. Personally I gave up, although I did get a great workout unboxing and then shipping back three 50" panels.

I have a 55" ST50 arriving tomorrow and am hoping that the defect has been identified and corrected in the 2012 products. This is Panasonic's last chance with me. If the ST50 still has this (or other) issue, I'm jumping ship and buying a Samsung.
post #8 of 78 Old 03-18-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgurl View Post

I only have a P&S camera, so I'm not sure how precise it would be at getting you what you want to see. But anyway, when I get a chance I'd be glad to try your procedure as well as taking photo's and see if I can spot this problem.

Edit: CAn you see the blobs on your particular TV while watching B&W programming?

No green blobs on B&W programming but pink tint on sides is visible.
post #9 of 78 Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

Panasonic hasn't acknowledged that the problem even exists, yet they released a firmware "fix" for the European market. That speaks volumes. Anyway, the track record you describe above should answer your question - if you're going to swap out your panel for another 2011 ST/GT/VT Panasonic, you're rolling the dice as to whether or not you'll get a blobbed set. It's a crap shoot. Personally I gave up, although I did get a great workout unboxing and then shipping back three 50" panels.

I have a 55" ST50 arriving tomorrow and am hoping that the defect has been identified and corrected in the 2012 products. This is Panasonic's last chance with me. If the ST50 still has this (or other) issue, I'm jumping ship and buying a Samsung.

I hope your ST50 is defect free. I have the option of trading for one of those but I want to make sure the issue had been addressed.
post #10 of 78 Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hope your ST50 is defect free. I have the option of trading for one of those but I want to make sure the issue had been addressed.

Thanks. I'll let you know here once I get a chance to set it up and dial it in tomorrow.
post #11 of 78 Old 03-19-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:

I have flipped through all the slides on cinema, warm2, and i still do not see this effect.

In case your wondering, I'm very sensitive to flaws, I was able to see the Post rise black levels on my 2009 Panny. And could easily spot the Floating blacks on 2010 Pannys.

In closing, I do not see these blob issues and I do not believe they exist on every set contrary to what some seem to think.....furthermore, if iI could find these blobs it would justify taking the set back and getting the new ST50. (Part of the reason why I haven't I don't want to take the chance with problematic issues the ST50 might have that is yet to be discovered.

PS: I can clearly see green and pink streaks or blobs whatever you want to call it all through that photo slide you have presented.
post #12 of 78 Old 03-20-2012, 03:04 AM

Today I got to see the green blob in person on a friends 50X3 and I must say it was very noticable. Spotted it within 5-10 mins. I feel real good about my set regarding this issue, as long it doesn't appear later.
post #13 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 04:50 AM
Voz

And the strange thing is, no one knows for sure what causes this.
post #14 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Panasonic is sending a tech out next Monday with parts and software. I will be very interested to see what they can do.
post #15 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far my ST50 shows NO sign of the uniformity problem, and I must say that it's a big improvement over the GT30 IMO. It's a very nice panel.
post #16 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Panasonic is sending a tech out next Monday with parts and software. I will be very interested to see what they can do.

Good luck!
post #17 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Here we go again! 8)

You won't find a 2011 Panasonic without the issue. It has been found on VT, GT, ST and S model lines.

Severity of the issue seems to fluctuate from set to set.

No one knows what causes it. But theories abound.

Some claim it gets better with age. Some claim it doesn't.

Panasonic in the UK has acknowledged that the issue exists and created an email 'hotline' for those affected with the issue.

Results of the supposed fix range from: little better to no change at all.

Hdtvtest.co.uk (who have a long term 2011 test model with the issue) have discovered a greenish/yellowish tint near the center of the screen on their 2012 ST50 review sample-- although they're quick to point out it is very faint.

Dierk has been through the ringer on this. My first S displayed the issue prominently but my second unit was a bit more tolerable. It has since faded to the point it is now only visible/noticeable on specific test patterns and break in slides-- although my greyscale is striped with green the pink is barely perceivable under real world conditions. You won't get far with Panasonic, they'll either find that the set is "within spec", replace some part or board which will likely do nothing, or tell you you're too picky (like me).

Welcome to life with Panasonic. My advice would be to get used to it or buy something else.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #18 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 451
My 65ST30 pink tint has greatly improved now that I'm around the 1000 hour mark. It's virtually disappeared. It was quite noticeable on grayscale slides and content especially on the left and right sides of the screen. Proper grayscale calibration helped too as the set was pushing red initially which accentuated the pink. However, the recent improvement doesn't seem to be related to calibration...it seems to just be taking care of itself.

post #19 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

My 65ST30 pink tint has greatly improved now that I'm around the 1000 hour mark. It's virtually disappeared. It was quite noticeable on grayscale slides and content especially on the left and right sides of the screen. Proper grayscale calibration helped too as the set was pushing red initially which accentuated the pink. However, the recent improvement doesn't seem to be related to calibration...it seems to just be taking care of itself.

DavidHir, did you calibrate yourself or did you hire someone?

--Carl Sagan
post #20 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 PM

Well, now I'm worried that the 55ST50 I just ordered will have this. Thanks.
post #21 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

As I am skeptical that they will fix my set it is good to hear that the problem could diminish over time. Too bad that the pink appears prevalent in the most accurate picture modes like cinema and custom(D-Nice's settings). You would never notice in a store that is normally using vivid on their display.
post #22 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Since no one knows the cause of this, i'm just going to speculate a bit and say it is with the panel itself, DSE, so unless the techs are gonna be replacing the panel or whole set i can't see your set getting fixed. Sorry if I sound like the "bearer of bad news".
post #23 of 78 Old 03-21-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Here we go again! 8)

You won't find a 2011 Panasonic without the issue. It has been found on VT, GT, ST and S model lines.

Severity of the issue seems to fluctuate from set to set.

No one knows what causes it. But theories abound.

Some claim it gets better with age. Some claim it doesn't.

Panasonic in the UK has acknowledged that the issue exists and created an email 'hotline' for those affected with the issue.

Results of the supposed fix range from: little better to no change at all.

Hdtvtest.co.uk (who have a long term 2011 test model with the issue) have discovered a greenish/yellowish tint near the center of the screen on their 2012 ST50 review sample-- although they're quick to point out it is very faint.

Dierk has been through the ringer on this. My first S displayed the issue prominently but my second unit was a bit more tolerable. It has since faded to the point it is now only visible/noticeable on specific test patterns and break in slides-- although my greyscale is striped with green the pink is barely perceivable under real world conditions. You won't get far with Panasonic, they'll either find that the set is "within spec", replace some part or board which will likely do nothing, or tell you you're too picky (like me).

Welcome to life with Panasonic. My advice would be to get used to it or buy something else.

And while I may be wrong I'm going to respectful disgree with the blobs being on every set. yes, they have been found on every 2011 model, but not every set, no two ST's GT's VT's etc will ever be completely/exactly alike and so forth. The slides don't cut it. PS3 or Xbox360 background, it can't be seen. Panasonic Menu useless, it can't be seen. B&W programming, not there. Various types of programmimg with white and blue clouds included; it's still not not there.

Are there any specific test to run (of course that is considerate) where I can bring this problem out for sure, or better yet see it??
post #24 of 78 Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:

I wonder if it is related to the TV automatically increasing voltage levels to compensate for aging phosphurs. On my VT30 the brighter I make the screen, the less I see the problem. Regardless, glad to see yours improved.
post #25 of 78 Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

And while I may be wrong I'm going to respectful disgree with the blobs being on every set. yes, they have been found on every 2011 model, but not every set, no two ST's GT's VT's etc will ever be completely/exactly alike and so forth. The slides don't cut it. PS3 or Xbox360 background, it can't be seen. Panasonic Menu useless, it can't be seen. B&W programming, not there. Various types of programmimg with white and blue clouds included; it's still not not there.

Are there any specific test to run (of course that is considerate) where I can bring this problem out for sure, or better yet see it??

I think that you should relax then, and just enjoy your tv. While I do believe that this flaw exists in every 2011 set, not everyone sees it. Mine are really not visible during the slides, but I haven't messed with the settings to check for this. The medium/light grey PS3 background displays them the most prominently on my tv. The pink is really the one that is bothering me as it can be seen watching tv/blu ray/netflix if the right color grey is displayed. It is mostly on the edges. I am hoping like hell that the pink fades over time.
post #26 of 78 Old 03-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 52
Have posted at length on this subject before - and it is LATE here - but share in the opinion that "all" the 2011 Pan plasmas will at least have some Unwanted Green Tint and/or Pink (Magenta) Tint - but also acknowledge that either of these CAN be very hard to see on some of the panels.

Content, panel settings, and individual sensitivity all play into the "visibility" of the glitches - my wife only "sees" the problems when I point them out to her, and even then she (mostly) is inclined to simply shrug & say "Not a big deal."

And, it does seem reasonable to say that "If I HAVE to GO LOOKING for it, then how much of a problem is it, really?"

Actual GREEN BLOBS are harder to tie down: these tend to be very visible against certain shades of gray - and the photo posted is a classic example of what they typically look like - but we've also had 2 60" ST30s that we've kept long enough for the BLOB to largely (but not entirely....) Fade Away.

Nevertheless, both of those panels retained a Green Tint that "substituted" itself for certain shades of gray. And, alas, the first displayed a horrible growing PINK tint. The second is still in house, with about 5 weeks remaining in return period, and Pink is now the greater concern, although Green still comes "shining through" in some scenes. (Smoke, water mist, clouds, institutional grays, yellows, or beige, B&W movies - esp zoomed to full screen, as PINK tends to show first around the edges of the panel.)

Am hoping to reach the 1000 hour mark before end of April - around 500 now - to see whether Pink will also dissipate with aging. If not - or if Green still shines through during XMen 2, Robin Hood, HOUSE, My Favorite Wife, Hysteria & So Forth..., may well end up shopping for a LG plasma....
post #27 of 78 Old 03-22-2012, 11:03 PM

When you say Green/Pink tint are you refering to the whole screen having a slight cast/shade of either one of these...or both just smeared in botches/spots like on the OP photo. I have seen many photos of the green blob and I promise you this if my set had it, it would be replaced or i would be refunded. Same applies to what I see in the OP photo.

...if it is the entire screen that has a green or pink shade it is possible i'm color blind to it.
post #28 of 78 Old 03-22-2012, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you say Green/Pink tint are you refering to the whole screen having a slight cast/shade of either one of these...or both just smeared in botches/spots like on the OP photo. I have seen many photos of the green blob and I promise you this if my set had it, it would be replaced or i would be refunded. Same applies to what I see in the OP photo.

...if it is the entire screen that has a green or pink shade it is possible i'm color blind to it.

Here is an example on my first set.
LL
LL
LL

--Carl Sagan
post #29 of 78 Old 03-23-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:

In those three photo's it's so obvious it isn't funny. What slide are you using in the first photo or is that idle luminance? I'm going to try and show you guys something you never seen on a 2011 Panasonic, lol. Unless... the camera flash somehow brings these flaws out : )

Only have P&S camera, but I will do my best.

P.S currently at work but will try and get some photo's asap.
post #30 of 78 Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:

That is terrible

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)