Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-18-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
emu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi All,

First of all, sorry for another one of "these" threads...

I'm not here to start an all our war, so know that I'm not concerned if one has a slightly better picture quality than the other, I suspect they both will offer excellent image quality. I currently have a PN63B550 in a cave and love it but I have a Panasonic 50" plasma in the bedroom, both of them look great to my eyes.

I seem to be able to pick up both these panels for about the same price right now. Obviously the Panny is 5" bigger, I'm not hung up on that, but it's an advantage to the Panny.

My situation is:

- Living room TV = fairly light environment, some windows and glass sliding doors. There are vertical blinds, but I think I need some kind of AR coating.
- Off angle viewing will be common as we walk around, prepare meals etc.
- We sit 15' from the TV roughly. Obviously the bigger the better but we currently have a 55" Sony RP TV and the size is fine.
- Don't care about built in software, I will have a HTPC next to it.
- I'm concerned about the range of the 3D glasses. The Panny uses IR glasses I believe which not only are expensive (and none come with the TV) but I've read have limited range and may not reach 15' reliably. The Samsung I believe uses bluetooth and also comes with 2 pair and additional pairs seem quite cheap (at least they were in 2011).
- 3D - Honestly, despite the above, I'm not super hung up on it. If I have it, I do want it to work though.
- I've heard the 2011 Samsungs were brighter than 2011 Panasonics, so I'm thinking a 2012 Samsung will be brighter than the 2011 Panasonic which is helpful in the bright room.
- Panny has better blacks, Samsung better color accuracy, yadda... honestly, it's a family TV, I don't think it will matter much.

Samsung - From what I've read the E550 will have a similar panel to last years D6500 and hence receives quite a good AR filter.

Right now, if everything I've heard is true I'm leaning towards the Samsung despite it's smaller size.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
emu

No one?
post #3 of 5 Old 03-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Probably the most will tell you that St50 is the way to go, if you can afford it at this moment.The improvments vs 2011 are very substantial.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnblowcls View Post

Probably the most will tell you that St50 is the way to go, if you can afford it at this moment.The improvments vs 2011 are very substantial.

Yep, I've read the xx50 Panny threads, they are also quite a bit more expensive and honestly I don't think it's necessary. I'll save the $2K+ TVs for my home theater room.

Anyone have any feedback on the two TVs I mentioned? Particularly on the 3D glasses of 2011 Panny vs 2012 Samsung in terms of range etc.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
emu

I'll sort of answer some of my own questions:

Panny - 15' range on the 3D glasses (sort of). Some reports of it being unreliable at that distance.
Samsung - From some reports I hear a 30' range is possible. Didn't find anything in the 2011 D550 manual about it. Overall, Samsung 3D glasses sound better, at least compared to the 2011 Panasonics.

I'm currently tossing up whether to wait for the larger Samsung E series or pull the trigger on the 60".
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60e550 Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page