Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 4325 Old 03-30-2012, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootie View Post

No Fbr problems on my E8000. I owned a D8000, so I know what to look for. If you decide to keep the D, check out the thread below - zoyd and LarryInRI, along with a few others, did a masterful job solving the Fbr issue on the Ds.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1389562

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian s View Post

I completely agree. The fbr issue on my e6500 is completely unnoticeable. Coming from a d8000 myself, i think the fix last year resolved it for the most part, but not to this degree. That with the CS fix were some much needed improvements. Nice job in that regard

Thanks Guys - I have been waiting on my USB stick from Samsung. I applied the fix last night and fBR is completely fixed on my D8000. I got the 59" for under $1,900 so I don't think I'll be able to beat it for the price. I still have about 13 days to decide but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the D8000 now. Thanks for the replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 4325 Old 03-30-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post

Everyone knows about plasma buzz, and samsung is among the least noticeable to most.

I agree with you that bashing is not cool and that it is suspect this person registered seemingly for the sole purpose of digging into you.

That said, your above statement is a stretch. The opposite is true. Yes, all plasmas have buzz but Samsung is certainly not "amount the least noticeable to MOST." If anything, you read more people complaining about buzz with Samsung plasmas on this forum and major review sites (Amazon, CNet, etc.) that almost any other brand. Go to any given Samsung high-end model on Amazon and I bet you find at least one more more reviews on the first page mentioning buzz. Go to any given Panasonic set and I bet you don't find a mention of buzz on the first page of reviews.

I am the happy owner of a Samsung plasma (as well as a Panasonic plasma) and while I can hear the buzz with the volume off it has never bothered me. But there are THOUSANDS of posts on this forum, and entire topics dedicated to Samsung plasma buzz, far more than probably the rest of the brands combined.

So by all means let's discourage Trolls, but hyperbole or misstatement are not necessary in response. The Samsungs are great TV's, for those not prone to hearing the buzz problem. So are the Panasonics. I'd happily own a Samsung again.
post #303 of 4325 Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

I agree with you that bashing is not cool and that it is suspect this person registered seemingly for the sole purpose of digging into you.

That said, your above statement is a stretch. The opposite is true. Yes, all plasmas have buzz but Samsung is certainly not "amount the least noticeable to MOST." If anything, you read more people complaining about buzz with Samsung plasmas on this forum and major review sites (Amazon, CNet, etc.) that almost any other brand. Go to any given Samsung high-end model on Amazon and I bet you find at least one more more reviews on the first page mentioning buzz. Go to any given Panasonic set and I bet you don't find a mention of buzz on the first page of reviews.

I am the happy owner of a Samsung plasma (as well as a Panasonic plasma) and while I can hear the buzz with the volume off it has never bothered me. But there are THOUSANDS of posts on this forum, and entire topics dedicated to Samsung plasma buzz, far more than probably the rest of the brands combined.

So by all means let's discourage Trolls, but hyperbole or misstatement are not necessary in response. The Samsungs are great TV's, for those not prone to hearing the buzz problem. So are the Panasonics. I'd happily own a Samsung again.

I agree. I guess I post as I think at the moment ( I was lucky not to have buzzing, but there are those who did have buzzing on the samsung's.). I need to just calm down and take a breathe. At the end of the day, we all just want a tv WE think is the BEST for US.

god bless

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #304 of 4325 Old 03-30-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree. I guess I post as I think at the moment. I need to just calm down and take a breathe. At the end of the day, we all just want a tv WE think is the BEST for US. aBOVE POST EDITED. Thanks Citivas.

god bless

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #305 of 4325 Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

On that particular test pattern i got .0052 CS on and .0064 CS off

I 2nd Adrian's findings of Cinema Smooth. I turned it on, and it looked to increase the black level rather than decreasing. I'm just going off what I'm seeing, as I dont have anything to measure. Anyways, my testing and evaluation continues
post #306 of 4325 Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I agree. I guess I post as I think at the moment ( I was lucky not to have buzzing, but there are those who did have buzzing on the samsung's.). I need to just calm down and take a breathe. At the end of the day, we all just want a tv WE think is the BEST for US.

god bless

I didn't get buzzing on my 2009 model PN58B860. I can only hear it when I literally put my ear on the set.

Right now I am trying to decide between the Panasonic VT50 or the Samsung E8000.
post #307 of 4325 Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

From Samsung.

Amazing picture quality can't exist with blurring on your screen. That's why we developed Clear Image Panel for our new plasma TVs. It uses a film filter instead of conventional glass to eliminate layered images and produce ones that are ultra-clear and blur-free from almost every angle.

Thanks for quoting that, So as they have stated 'Our new Plasma TV's' it sounds like all models have it not just the E8000 then ? .
post #308 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 01:06 AM

Houston We Got A Problem!

Just got my brand new PN51E8000 and I can't connect to Netflix. In fact when I go into smart hub, settings, details....Netflix does not have a esn assigned? Under esn it says "Not Support". I tried TV Reset, Smart Hub Reset and still the same result. Called Samsung Support and they are researching the issue.

Anyone come across this?
post #309 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post

Thanks for quoting that, So as they have stated 'Our new Plasma TV's' it sounds like all models have it not just the E8000 then ? .

The model comparison that Amazon has in their product description only lists the Clear Image Panel on the E8000, E490, and E450 TVs for whatever its worth.
LL
post #310 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think so. That's why it is such comically poor marketing on Samsung's part because they are basically implying that all their other current and former models are "blurry." until I hear otherwise I am discounting this "feature" as meaningless. It is SOP for all the major brand to come up with some slight variation of their filter each year and give the top set a variant name. But in a vast majority of the case real world testing yields trivial if any benefit that would be attributed specifically to it, versus the more useful extra calibration features.
post #311 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 05:11 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I don't think so. That's why it is such comically poor marketing on Samsung's part because they are basically implying that all their other current and former models are "blurry." until I hear otherwise I am discounting this "feature" as meaningless. It is SOP for all the major brand to come up with some slight variation of their filter each year and give the top set a variant name. But in a vast majority of the case real world testing yields trivial if any benefit that would be attributed specifically to it, versus the more useful extra calibration features.

Couldn't agree more.

consider the source
post #312 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 09:32 AM

New owner of PN51E6500 here that I setup last night. I am new to plasma/big screen. Had a 30" Sony Bravia LCD for a number of years. As there is significant interest in buzzing I can report the following:

1. I can hear the buzzing only when I put my head behind the screen.
2. I can't hear it when I move away but I am 40+ male who likely has the typical age-related hearing loss that makes this sound hard to hear.
3. My wife once alerted to the buzzing could here it sitting 4 feet away with no sound in the room
4. She did not notice it when watching the TV initially but there was an xbox on that we were watching through which has its own fan noise.
5. She does not feel that it will be a distraction to watching the TV.

I have to say that it is impossible to do anything but watch HBO shows to avoid the permanent logo or bars or something and I can't stand to watch stretched/zoomed. I don't necessarily buy into the whole slides/calibration procedure but I may "do the slides" in off time to get to 100 hours just to feel more comfortable about watching a 2 hour letter box'ed movie or soccer game on ESPN with permanent logos. After browsing around (too long) I haven't seen any warnings about keeping certain settings low/off/on during early usage. Is there anything to worry about here?
post #313 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I agree to an extent yes but its not the 'Filter' thats mentioned here but a Clear image 'Panel' .

There is no way in my mind a Filter could influence Motion in any way shape or form.

Just wish Samsung would Clarify whats what but i don't think they know themselves LOL
post #314 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schj98 View Post

The model comparison that Amazon has in their product description only lists the Clear Image Panel on the E8000, E490, and E450 TVs for whatever its worth.

Cheers, Looks like Amazon are wrong again then !, I doubt the 450/490 would have this CIP yet the 7000 does not ,
Thanks
post #315 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I have a new pn51e8000 coming this coming wednesday! It is replacing a defective pn50c7000.

Im wondering if anyone has done a calibration on any of these new sets yet?

Please post any info on calibration settings if available.
post #316 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
are any of you e7/8000 owners experiencing DSE?
post #317 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

are any of you e7/8000 owners experiencing DSE?

E6500 - yes, more so than last years model

consider the source
post #318 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 AM

What is DSE?
post #319 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeo View Post

What is DSE?

Take your pick http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/DSE

post #320 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:

E6500 - yes, more so than last years model

So you have Dirty Screen Effect on your E6500 then ?
post #321 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:

So you have Dirty Screen Effect on your E6500 then ?

It's not as bad as the worst I've seen, but yes

consider the source
post #322 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 04:13 PM

For what it's worth , my pioneer elite Kuro had the dirty screen effect.

I was at the Panasonic/Engadget event in New York and I saw the VT50 in person,

Excellent black levels very deep, side by side comparisons with the vt30 was slightly better.
The new design was excellent matching the Samsungs panels.

The questions are with overall color accuracy and gamma.
Samsung colors this year are very rich and black levels have decreased again.

It's a matter of preference . Color vs black level .

Samsung 64 e8000 are selling for 3299.00 and the 65VT50 will sell for 3699.00 .
post #323 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

Samsung 64 e8000 are selling for 3299.00 and the 65VT50 will sell for 3699.00 .

The Panasonic will only sell at that price for suckers who don't shop or negotiate. It will be discounted almost immediately -- it's already selling for substantially less online in pre-orders. The Samsung is selling for slightly less online right now too, though allegedly that will change next month when Samsung plans to enforce universal retail pricing. We'll see.
post #324 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:

The Panasonic will only sell at that price for suckers who don't shop or negotiate. It will be discounted almost immediately -- it's already selling for substantially less online in pre-orders. The Samsung is selling for slightly less online right now too, though allegedly that will change next month when Samsung plans to enforce universal retail pricing. We'll see.

Agreed , however Panasonic has pull back the number of retailers selling the VT50. This will keep the price steady over the market. Amazon won't be selling the VT50 till mid summer.

Getting back to basics, it's all about preference Panasonic vs Samsung in a side by side comparison the two panels won't yield much of difference.
At the press conference they had a led Samsung next the new WT led pannie . I asked why wouldn't they compare the e8000 vs Vt50. They didn't comment. Enough said!
post #325 of 4325 Old 03-31-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukecat View Post

Just had a PN64E8000 installed yesterday. I am hearing a fair amount of electronic noise generated from the TV when watching it - whether it's cable, Blu-ray 3D, X-Box or Wii. It's even present when the TV is on mute, but it is minimized when video is not projected; for example, in between commercials. Just by putting my ear up to sources, I can tell it is not the speakers (either the internal TV speakers, which are set to zero, the center channel above the TV or the sub below the TV). It seems to be coming directly from the screen.

I have been a bit out of the loop since buying our last TV - a Pioneer Elite with no problems - in 2003. Is it likely that this electronic noise I am hearing is the "buzzing" people have been bringing up on this thread?

Update: Tech came out yesterday and said the buzzing on my TV was definitely not normal. I'll be getting a replacement. Fingers crossed it doesn't have the same problem.
post #326 of 4325 Old 04-01-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:

It's not as bad as the worst I've seen, but yes

Thats a shame, My current D6900 has the dreaded Buzz but there is no sign of any DSE at all. Could be Panel variation i guess .
post #327 of 4325 Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

god bless

No, Tony. You need to calm down and breathe because we're just talking about TVs here, period. You don't need to get all worked up about it.

I don't understand how some people here get so emotional over things that they purchase. It's really bothersome to me, apart from the fact that it does wonders for spreading misinformation.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #328 of 4325 Old 04-01-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukecat View Post

Update: Tech came out yesterday and said the buzzing on my TV was definitely not normal. I'll be getting a replacement. Fingers crossed it doesn't have the same problem.

Brand new E8000 arrived yesterday in exchange for my E8000 buzzer. Unfortunately it too is a buzzer. Im totally bummed out. Will probably keep it for a few weeks until the vts hit the market or until the vx300 comes down in price.

Has anyone calibrated their E yet? Can you share your settings?
post #329 of 4325 Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Brand new E8000 arrived yesterday in exchange for my E8000 buzzer. Unfortunately it too is a buzzer. Im totally bummed out. Will probably keep it for a few weeks until the vts hit the market or until the vx300 comes down in price.

Yeah i too am wondering about calibration. No one has done one yet?
post #330 of 4325 Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Mine isn't calibrated. I don't think I'm tech savvy enough to speak to the settings, but I know the tech ran through every combination - those using a lot of power; those using very little - and the volume of the buzzing did not change at all. All I can hope for is the new TV that is being ordered from Samsung will be from a different batch.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page