Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum
First ... 110  111  112 113  114  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread
tbris84's Avatar tbris84 02:26 PM 01-20-2013
Just returned my 51" E8000. Had to take it to two Best Buys, both of them set it up to test it out. They both said "I don't hear a buzz." frown.gif lol

ferl 05:46 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonoaks View Post

Hi,

My 64e7000 arriving tomorrow - the manual says the wall mount screw are M8 , but doesn't say what length . Anyone know how deep the wall mount wholes are ?

thanks

I didn't keep notes on the bolts I used, but they were like 18 or 20mm and I used 1 flat and 1 lockwasher with each bolt. Did the mount not provide bolts? I have the Sanus LL11 and it came with a sufficient assortment of bolts and washers.
badboy808's Avatar badboy808 08:09 PM 01-20-2013
Will the New Smart Hub be avaible to download through Firmware with the Older Models? I currently have the PN51E8000.
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 08:33 PM 01-20-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy808 View Post

Will the New Smart Hub be avaible to download through Firmware with the Older Models? I currently have the PN51E8000.

From what I have read it will only be available via the "upgraded" Evolution kit......
badboy808's Avatar badboy808 11:53 PM 01-20-2013
A few questions
1.How much does the kit cost?
2.What else will it upgrade besides the Hub? I havent seen specs of 2013 samsung TVs.
3.Do you think it will be wirth it?
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 08:16 AM 01-21-2013
http://reviews.cnet.com/home-entertainment/samsung-vg-sek1000-smart/4505-6449_7-35560465.html

That a look at the above article and it should give you some information...The worth is totally up to you however.....
deria's Avatar deria 09:32 AM 01-21-2013
Quote:

A few questions
1.How much does the kit cost?
2.What else will it upgrade besides the Hub? I havent seen specs of 2013 samsung TVs.
3.Do you think it will be wirth it?

1. Apparently between $200 and $300 USD. I haven't seen anything more definite.

2. Faster CPU, faster GPU, support for higher resolution streaming services, better voice navigation. Possibly more -- thats just what I got from the CES video.

3. Only you can say. For me, I feel it will be.

Personally I just hope it lets me control what apps are on the new interface, because I don't have kids and don't need my TV to handle my fitness requirements.
badboy808's Avatar badboy808 11:03 PM 01-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

1. Apparently between $200 and $300 USD. I haven't seen anything more definite.

2. Faster CPU, faster GPU, support for higher resolution streaming services, better voice navigation. Possibly more -- thats just what I got from the CES video.

3. Only you can say. For me, I feel it will be.

Personally I just hope it lets me control what apps are on the new interface, because I don't have kids and don't need my TV to handle my fitness requirements.

Price is alittle to expensive if you ask me. At that Price I could just buy a second TV or a laptop or the upcoming Playstion4 later this year.
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 06:10 AM 01-22-2013
Quote:

Price is alittle to expensive if you ask me. At that Price I could just buy a second TV or a laptop or the upcoming Playstion4 later this year.

Not sure you could buy a Second TV with a Quad Core Chip for 2-300 ;-) Playstation 4 maybe thats IF they hit thier release date at the end fo the year.......For most people every other year may be the sweet spot for upgrades
LTE15's Avatar LTE15 07:44 AM 01-22-2013
Hi everyone. Quick question about my 51 inch E7000. I love the picture, but one thing that I have found a little distracting is that when watching movies with black bars, if the screen gets completely black (for example, if the screen goes dark when transitioning from one scene to another), the bars appear brighter than the center of the screen. Is this typical?
tbris84's Avatar tbris84 09:34 AM 01-22-2013
Quote:

Maybe a 32" 720p TV, an Intel Atom based netbook, or a 250GB Playstation 3. Not sure how either help improve your television watching experience though. Your money your call though. I think it's a pretty good deal for a reasonable price.
boondongle's Avatar boondongle 08:59 PM 01-22-2013
I've also found that if you have the Black Tone set to Dark the screen will 'turn off' on all black scenes.

Keep brightness at 46 or lower and Black Tone to off and that won't happen.

Sounds like that's not happening to you anyhow since you're seeing the temp IR. those bar lines go away within a minute if you run the scroll bar FYI.
badboy808's Avatar badboy808 11:53 PM 01-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Not sure you could buy a Second TV with a Quad Core Chip for 2-300 ;-) Playstation 4 maybe thats IF they hit thier release date at the end fo the year.......For most people every other year may be the sweet spot for upgrades

I was just saying money towards saving up for another New TV. Not a Used TV that might break soon. Also what abouth the Warranty. Will this Device Extend The Warranty of the TV somehow?
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 07:44 AM 01-23-2013
Quote:

I was just saying money towards saving up for another New TV. Not a Used TV that might break soon. Also what abouth the Warranty. Will this Device Extend The Warranty of the TV somehow?

Not sure why it would extend the warranty of the TV itself....It most likely comes with a warranty of its own, if there was a problem that was casued by the device which affected the TV in some way Samsung would need to fix it (as long as swapping out the box for a new one or old one didnt work)......Yur looking at an upgrade to a TV for about 1/10 the cost of a new TV.....These devices are for those that dont upgrade every year, but still want to get the benifits from upgraded software and hardware that comes with the kit....If you are the type that buys TVs often, then this device probably wouldnt appeal to you....If you plan on keeping the set for 5+ years an upgrade every other year or so may make sense....

It should be mentioned that there are not many details outside of what has been given in the previous links...Anything else would be speculation until the kit is released\reviewed or Samsung gives more details.......
LTE15's Avatar LTE15 09:51 AM 01-23-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondongle View Post

those bar lines go away within a minute if you run the scroll bar FYI.
Yes, it does go away pretty quickly, but I do wish I didn't notice it. I've been going back and forth between thinking about exchanging the set for a Panasonic (I assume I'll still have the same IR issue with black bars but I think the blacks may be better), getting an LCD (I think I may have to pay close to twice what I paid for close to similar picture quality) or just get used to the idea that nothing is going to be 100% perfect.

It's funny how I never even thought about any of this stuff with my 10 year old LCD and just enjoyed watching it, but now that I decided to replace it and have a new TV with considerably better picture quality I find myself focused on every little thing.
zachman's Avatar zachman 10:38 PM 01-23-2013
I have a PN60E8000. Anybody know if there is an ARC function on this model? I'm using the HDMI 2 port, but can't seem to get any sound out of my Pioneer SC-68 when watching OTA channels.
Ph8te's Avatar Ph8te 06:37 AM 01-24-2013
Yes there is ARC on the E seriers and HDMI 2 is the correct selection....If you change inputs to watch OTA, then make sure that you have the ausio settings on the TV set up correctly......Are you only using OTA? or do you have another source you are using that does get audio....
zachman's Avatar zachman 07:11 AM 01-24-2013
What audio settings do I need to adjust? Been through all the menus and don't see anything unless I missed it. From a setup standpoint I have a DTV box connected to my Pioneer SC-68 via HDMI. The SC-68 is then hooked to the tv via HDMI using he HDMI 2 port on the tv. The only other wire plugged into the tv is the cable from an attic OTA ant. I adjusted the settings on the SC-68 so the tv input is set to arc. I assumed when I switched the tv input to tv to view OTA and the receiver input to tv it would output the sound from the SC-68 but so far nothing. Originally I had a digital optical going from the tv to the receiver and when I switched the tv to OTA the sound did come thru the receiver. Want to not use the optical cable because it isn't really long enough and I'd prefer not to buy a longer one.

Am I missing something I need to adjust on the tv?
hambletw's Avatar hambletw 11:15 AM 01-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachman View Post

What audio settings do I need to adjust? Been through all the menus and don't see anything unless I missed it. From a setup standpoint I have a DTV box connected to my Pioneer SC-68 via HDMI. The SC-68 is then hooked to the tv via HDMI using he HDMI 2 port on the tv. The only other wire plugged into the tv is the cable from an attic OTA ant. I adjusted the settings on the SC-68 so the tv input is set to arc. I assumed when I switched the tv input to tv to view OTA and the receiver input to tv it would output the sound from the SC-68 but so far nothing. Originally I had a digital optical going from the tv to the receiver and when I switched the tv to OTA the sound did come thru the receiver. Want to not use the optical cable because it isn't really long enough and I'd prefer not to buy a longer one.

Am I missing something I need to adjust on the tv?

Simple to overlook when changing configurations...have you checked the HDMI/ARC setup on the SC-68?
boondongle's Avatar boondongle 05:36 PM 01-24-2013
Yeah, I know what you mean. My last TV was a decent Sony Bravia 32" LCD. I think I paid ~$600 for it back around 2007/2008.

Now that I have a 'nice' TV, I worry about it. smile.gif

I just found out CostCo has a 3 year warranty for my TV for $60. You have to buy it within 60 days. I bought my TV on 11/21. Oops.

Like you I wavered back on forth on the Samsung/Panasonic thing. My heart told me to get a Panny (Samsung just seems like a rotten company in some ways. ****, they're even in the counter top business now…) but ultimately the PN51E7000 was on a great sale when I was looking. $997 with a free blue ray player, and 6 extra sets of glasses (plus the 2 already included).

I'd read the Panny's are more sensitive to IR - and IR was a big concern (not anymore, with this TV, it's been fine) plus I'd read about green blobs, DSE, red lights of death etc.

Samsung has random screen cracking, possible buzzing (mine is fine) and slightly 'not as good' blacks - still far superior to any other TV I've ever owned.

Reviews said Samsung has a better Smart Hub too. Turns out most of the apps are crap.

And the Samsung has that horrible Chicken Foot Stand. But the Panny's stand was not much better, so a wash there.

Samsung has a dual core processor and the Evo Kit (which may or may not be a dud, time will tell).

So, I went with the one that gave me the most bang for the buck.

In the end, I'm fortunate that my big decision that week/month was which TV to get, not "which child do I feed" or "which bills do I pay" or something horrible.

Relative to most of the human beings that have ever lived, I'm living like a king with this thing. smile.gif Gotta keep it in check, right. smile.gif
Icon13's Avatar Icon13 11:21 AM 01-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerchiarax View Post

Thanks that clears it up. i was definitely confusing myself smile.gif. And just to clear my self up even more. To get 120 hz 3:2 3d mode we need to disable 24p mode on the bluray device or force 60hz on a media player like wdlive correct? Because I'd assume that if you just disable CS you would get 24 fps per eye.
No. Leave 24p mode on at the player. If CS is off, you will be in 60hz mode for 2d, and 120hz for 3d. There is no 24 fps mode. Not 2d or 3d.
cerchiarax's Avatar cerchiarax 11:28 AM 01-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post

No. Leave 24p mode on at the player. If CS is off, you will be in 60hz mode for 2d, and 120hz for 3d. There is no 24 fps mode. Not 2d or 3d.
So even if the tv says 1080p24 with CS off the tv will display 60hz on.2d and 120 hz on 3d? on my wdlive media player I can force it to 1080p60
LTE15's Avatar LTE15 11:51 AM 01-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondongle View Post

Yeah, I know what you mean. My last TV was a decent Sony Bravia 32" LCD. I think I paid ~$600 for it back around 2007/2008.

Now that I have a 'nice' TV, I worry about it. smile.gif

I just found out CostCo has a 3 year warranty for my TV for $60. You have to buy it within 60 days. I bought my TV on 11/21. Oops.

Like you I wavered back on forth on the Samsung/Panasonic thing. My heart told me to get a Panny (Samsung just seems like a rotten company in some ways. ****, they're even in the counter top business now…) but ultimately the PN51E7000 was on a great sale when I was looking. $997 with a free blue ray player, and 6 extra sets of glasses (plus the 2 already included).

I'd read the Panny's are more sensitive to IR - and IR was a big concern (not anymore, with this TV, it's been fine) plus I'd read about green blobs, DSE, red lights of death etc.

Samsung has random screen cracking, possible buzzing (mine is fine) and slightly 'not as good' blacks - still far superior to any other TV I've ever owned.

Reviews said Samsung has a better Smart Hub too. Turns out most of the apps are crap.

And the Samsung has that horrible Chicken Foot Stand. But the Panny's stand was not much better, so a wash there.

Samsung has a dual core processor and the Evo Kit (which may or may not be a dud, time will tell).

So, I went with the one that gave me the most bang for the buck.

In the end, I'm fortunate that my big decision that week/month was which TV to get, not "which child do I feed" or "which bills do I pay" or something horrible.

Relative to most of the human beings that have ever lived, I'm living like a king with this thing. smile.gif Gotta keep it in check, right. smile.gif

That does seem like a good deal. I paid slightly less but without the extras that you got and it sounds like our analysis was similar. When I weighed all of the pros and cons there wasn't necessarily a clear winner and I felt like the Samsung was more bang for the buck, so that's what I chose. The Panasonic does seem to have more users/fans, but that probably has as much to do with the fact that the ST came out on top in CNET's ratings as anything else. I feel like the E7000 series turned out to be a real under-rated bargain because people who were buying a Samsung plasma either went for the E6500 (which got excellent reviews as providing good bang for the buck) or the E8000 because that was the "top of the line." The E7000 sort of got lost even though it is very close to the E8000 and as a result they have dropped the price to move them (even lower than the E6500).

I can probably go around and around with the analysis, but you are right that it helps to keep it all in perspective. If the biggest problem someone has is what TV to buy or keep life is looking pretty good. smile.gif

By the way, where did you buy your TV? Was it Costco? You said you found out that you had the ability to get a Costco warranty within the first 60 days and I was wondering if that is an option if you didn't buy the set from them (I've never seen the E7000 at my Costco).
boondongle's Avatar boondongle 01:37 PM 01-25-2013
Got mine at a Paul's TV. Went to Best Buy recently to look at some speakers and they said they would have price matched. Apparently Samsung was the sponsor on the Free BD player/Glasses deal so most of the dealers were offering it. Got Paul's to take the Tax off too. So $997 out the door was pretty good. I don't need 8 pairs of 3D glasses, but what the hell...

When I read the reviews of the ST50 they all said it looked great and was a best value for the money. However, the e7000 at the time was ~$1400-$1700 so I felt like if it were priced more along the lines of the ST50, at the time, it might've been a different evaluation. Looks like the price is down around $997 again.

Also seems like the industry favors the Panasonic line more. Fine with me, they make a great TV and in some ways I wish I'd gone for the panny - maybe on principle if nothing else. But the reports of IR….

Oh well. smile.gif

Here's a link to the square trade warranty on Costcos's site. I think I would've sprung $60 for a warranty. The fine print on those 'protection plans' is a little sketchy. They only provide coverage up to the amount of the TV. So, let's say you have a $600 repair at some point, then need another repair. They would only give you $400 towards the repair (or maybe a new TV) and then their obligation is fulfilled. At least that's how I understand it. So, for $60 it seems ok, but for $150 or more…. nah.

And apparently you can use it for TVs bought outside of Costco:

"Costco's SquareTrade pricing is exclusive to Costco Members. You must purchase a SquareTrade Service Plan from a Costco Warehouse or from www.costco.com. Costco members may also purchase a SquareTrade Service plan to cover a new TV purchased outside of Costco from an authorized retailer in the US. Service Plan must be bought within 60 days of purchasing the TV. *Excludes limited life consumables such as batteries and lamps"

http://www.costco.com/3-Years--(For-TVs%3a-%24500-to-%241%2c000).product.11660857.html
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC 04:44 PM 01-25-2013
I think they may be phasing out the 7000 series for 2013, and possibly the 6500 as well. Probably the middle tier pricing wasn't providing a good profit margin after discounting. So I think they are going with an improved lower end F5500 and a top tier F8500.
Icon13's Avatar Icon13 09:44 PM 01-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerchiarax View Post

So even if the tv says 1080p24 with CS off the tv will display 60hz on.2d and 120 hz on 3d? on my wdlive media player I can force it to 1080p60
What the TV says is what is on the incoming signal and not what is on the screen. IDK why Samsung does it this way; I think it is dumb. Using a player with 24p activated will yield the following: CS on = 96hz, CS off = 60hz (your TV will add the 3:2 pulldown). Turn off 24p and force 60hz and your player will add the 3:2 pulldown instead, and CS will not be an option. So, theoretically you will never have to disable 24p from your player if you use this TV. There is no reason that I can see anyways.
Icon13's Avatar Icon13 12:54 AM 01-26-2013
New firmware available, 1046. However, once downloaded it did not appear to install upon restart. It still shows 1041.1 under contact Samsung. I tried to update again immediately, but it says no new software found. Strange. Anybody else experiencing this?

* The morning after it asked me if I wanted to install the update. Now shows 1046.2
simonoaks's Avatar simonoaks 03:19 PM 01-26-2013
Hi,

Got my 64e7000 and wall mounted today. Very impressed with it. Have run the WOW dvd and have found these basic settings best for me:

Movie
warm 2
Contrast 100
brightness 49
Colour 52
Tint 51/49
Gamma 1
white 10 - on
Screen : fit screen

Everything else mainly off.

So, here is where I need help - whether I use the allshare app or the direct Plex app that I downloaded, it will not stream music even though it works fine with video content. Works perfectly on my Roku in bedroom - any idea why?
The other option I was thinking was to stream music direct from network pc but again using allshare it will see my pc but doesn't show any content. Can I not browse the pc to my external hdd drive (what I use for Plex content ) and play content from there? Or do I have to save content in a certain location on my pc?

Basically, how can stream any of the 20,000 songs I have on my pc external hdd drive, just like I can using Roku?

Thanks
Icon13's Avatar Icon13 12:53 AM 01-27-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonoaks View Post

Hi,

Got my 64e7000 and wall mounted today. Very impressed with it. Have run the WOW dvd and have found these basic settings best for me:

Movie
warm 2
Contrast 100
brightness 49
Colour 52
Tint 51/49
Gamma 1
white 10 - on
Screen : fit screen

Everything else mainly off.

So, here is where I need help - whether I use the allshare app or the direct Plex app that I downloaded, it will not stream music even though it works fine with video content. Works perfectly on my Roku in bedroom - any idea why?
The other option I was thinking was to stream music direct from network pc but again using allshare it will see my pc but doesn't show any content. Can I not browse the pc to my external hdd drive (what I use for Plex content ) and play content from there? Or do I have to save content in a certain location on my pc?

Basically, how can stream any of the 20,000 songs I have on my pc external hdd drive, just like I can using Roku?

Thanks
Strange. We have the same TV and my WOW calibration is way different. It is a few pages back if interested. Also, did you just turn 10 pt white balance on, or did you actually go through and change the settings?
baron2's Avatar baron2 09:30 AM 01-27-2013
I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new unopened PN58B860 from an authorized Samsung Dealer
with full warranty for 1k no tax free shipping 14 day return policy.My only interest is 2D picture quality and would
like to know how it may compare in 2D quality, color accuracy and black level to the PN58C8000, PN59D8000 and this years PNE8000

I read the whole PN58B860 threads and the PNC8000 threads as well but stopped there to much reading, overload big time.

If someone would be kind enough to rank the PN58B860 compared to these models mentioned above I would
appreciate the help.
Tags: Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
First ... 110  111  112 113  114  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop