Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post

It all depends if your ISP is part of the Netflix Open Connect Network. This allows you to stream titles in Super HD, which is 1080p Blu-ray quality. Mine (Comcast) is not part of the network but the PQ is still very good. I believe it streams in 720p and the TV upscales it to 1080p.
I have Comcast and SuperHD. So it either varies by market or Comcast for some reason made a customer friendly decision I doubt the latter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino520 View Post

I have Comcast as well. And I think their best resolution is 720p or 1080i. Forgive my ignorance (there's a lot of this tech stuff I don't fully understand)..but doesn't the Samsung "smart tv" receive the streaming direct to the E7000 (via ethernet {whatever that is}? Or does it have to pass through the Comcast box on the way? If someone could explain the process/options..I'd appreciate it.
the Comcast cable is 720p and 1080i although onDemand may have some 1080p. The streaming is a different source. And can be upto 1080p. If I watch Netflix from the Smart hub I get SuperHD if I watch Netflix off my laptop thru HDMI to TV it is not SuperHD. I think the xfinity app is 1080p
post #3783 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy808 View Post

I havea PN1e8000? what are your picture settings? I play PS3 and watch HDTV with comcast.

Mine is only 1 day old so I'm just using the default Movie mode. After 200-300 hours I'll coarse calibrate it with Disney's WoW BR disc. To be honest, it looks pretty damn fantastic with the factory Movie mode settings. wink.gif
post #3784 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by atcdav View Post

I have Comcast and SuperHD. So it either varies by market or Comcast for some reason made a customer friendly decision I doubt the latter.
You do not have Super HD. Nobody with Comcast does; same with Time Warner. This is a popular topic in the media right now. Yes, Netflix says Super HD in the movie decription, but will not stream in it. Comcast refuses to join the Open Connect Network. Don't believe me? Try streaming a Netflix 3D movie. I guarantee you cannot in 3D because OCN is necessary. It will play in 2D, just as the Super HD titles will play in lower than Blu-ray Super HD quality. Sorry sir, but you are totally wrong.

This article mentions Comcast as an ISP not using OCN. It is also a well l known fact if you had been following this issue.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/17/time-warner-cable-says-netflix-is-holding-super-hd-3d-content-hostage/

Furthermore, there are plenty of forums dedicated to angry Comcast customers over them denying us OCN.

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
post #3785 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:

the Comcast cable is 720p and 1080i although onDemand may have some 1080p. The streaming is a different source. And can be upto 1080p. If I watch Netflix from the Smart hub I get SuperHD if I watch Netflix off my laptop thru HDMI to TV it is not SuperHD. I think the xfinity app is 1080p
The Netfix app is Super HD ready, but requires the OCN to work. Super HD is only supported on select devices. PC is not one of them, and that is why HD titles on the PC do not state Super HD in the decription of the movie. But, your Netflix app in the Smart Hub will stream regular HD, but not Super HD due to ISP limitations. **** Comcast, this sucks.

post #3786 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 54
There's a difference between HD streaming in 1080p and Super HD 1080p streaming. I think there seems to be some confusion on that subject. Not that everything is available to stream in 1080p though, I believe it depends on certain content, etc. Eventually the big name ISP's will get on board, but they will do it begrudgingly. rolleyes.gif
Icon13 likes this.
post #3787 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 02:36 PM

Netflix OCN is software and hardware that Netflix is offering to ISPs that is installed your ISP's end. OCN is free of charge for them to utilize. The purpose is to save your ISP bandwith due to the high bitrate of SHD, and place the burden on Netflix's end. However, Comcast, Time Warner, and others feel that by implementing this they will lose cable subscribers. It also defeats the purpose of their on demand system, which some titles you must pay for. Refusing to implement OCN is their way of fighting back.

There are petitions floating around right now. The best thing to do is call your ISP and complain.

And yes, Atcdav, I thought I had Super HD too until I tried a 3D title. I even bumped up my internet plan just for this reason, and now I am mad. After some research it turned out Comcast does not supprt SHD or 3D.mad.gif

Netflix could just allow SHD streaming via conventional methods and use all of that bandwith. When the ISPs start to cry about it they will be put in a position to join OCN.

post #3788 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 03:42 PM

Liked: 10
TO me movie mode looks washed out when compared to Dynamic mode.
post #3789 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Movie mode is the most accurate calibrationwise. Dynamic mode, in theory, is the least accurate and should never be used. I think Dynamic is oversaturated, unnatural, and looks like absolute crap biggrin.gif

Dynmic also increases the odds of screen burn in, which unlike IR, will never go away.

post #3790 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

Are you watching in bright fluorescence lighting much like a BB show room? If so, that would explain your reaction. Movie mode is best in lighting closer to what you are used to when you go to the movies, not when you go to BB.

EDIT: I just replaced phosphorescent with fluorescence. Where did that come from? eek.gif

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3791 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:

You do not have Super HD. Nobody with Comcast does; same with Time Warner. This is a popular topic in the media right now. Yes, Netflix says Super HD in the movie decription, but will not stream in it. Comcast refuses to join the Open Connect Network. Don't believe me? Try streaming a Netflix 3D movie. I guarantee you cannot in 3D because OCN is necessary. It will play in 2D, just as the Super HD titles will play in lower than Blu-ray Super HD quality. Sorry sir, but you are totally wrong.

This article mentions Comcast as an ISP not using OCN. It is also a well l known fact if you had been following this issue.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/17/time-warner-cable-says-netflix-is-holding-super-hd-3d-content-hostage/

Furthermore, there are plenty of forums dedicated to angry Comcast customers over them denying us OCN.
Thats what I thought. at first I never saw SuperHD next to the show and now I do, I thought something changed fo rthe better. I never really evaluated the PQ, just watched the show. I am a regular poster in the Comcast forums. They have many issues but they couldnt care less. I wish Uverse was an option for me. BUT Why does the Samsung App show SuperHD and my Panasonic blu-ray not show SuperHD?
post #3792 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Nevermind my previous post, you already answered it. smile.gif I have said this in Comcast forums but if Comcast had an ounce of smarts they would offer the xfinity streaming as a stand alone service, It would put Netflix in a world of hurt. In the meantime, the least they could do is allow paying suncribers to access HBO GO and xfinity on streaming devices.. sorry to take this thread into Comcast....
post #3793 of 4330 Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Nevermind my previous post, you already answered it. smile.gif I have said this in Comcast forums but if Comcast had an ounce of smarts they would offer the xfinity streaming as a stand alone service, It would put Netflix in a world of hurt. In the meantime, the least they could do is allow paying suncribers to access HBO GO and xfinity on streaming devices.. sorry to take this thread into Comcast....
I am sorry too. I just want to make the thread aware for those of us who have this TV, Netlix, and Comcast so that we may enjoy our NF subscription in the finest detail that only a high end set can provide. End rant.

post #3794 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Are you watching in bright fluorescence lighting much like a BB show room? If so, that would explain your reaction. Movie mode is best in lighting closer to what you are used to when you go to the movies, not when you go to BB.

EDIT: I just replaced phosphorescent with fluorescence. Where did that come from? eek.gif

No I'm watching in my dark bedroom. And to me movie mode just has no color. When compared to Dynamic mode. on my PN51E8000.
post #3795 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

No I'm watching in my dark bedroom. And to me movie mode just has no color. When compared to Dynamic mode. on my PN51E8000.
Either your settings are wrong (no color), or you prefer over saturated colors. I didn't think you were literally watching in a BB showroom. wink.gif

Have you tried custom with the settings that you can find published here and in other locations? It might be worth a try. When you go to see a movie in a theater, what do you think of the colors?

I apologize for not making myself clear.

Calibration Resources:

post #3796 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Either your settings are wrong (no color), or you prefer over saturated colors. I didn't think you were literally watching in a BB showroom. wink.gif

Have you tried custom with the settings that you can find published here and in other locations? It might be worth a try. When you go to see a movie in a theater, what do you think of the colors?

I apologize for not making myself clear.

I think it's just too dull for him. I have a friend the same way prefers to watch his tv in dynamic no matter how many times I try to convince him that he shouldn't it drives me crazy.
post #3797 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

First plasma, should this be a concern?

Nearly all channels have some logo/watermark but they are almost always translucent.

When watching the two new series on the History Channel, Vikings and The Bible, I was surprised to see that they have a large solid silver logo of an "H" throughout the entire show. It is only gone during commercials. Am I right to be alarmed about what seems to be a very real possibility of burn-in?
post #3798 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post

Nearly all channels have some logo/watermark but they are almost always translucent.

When watching the two new series on the History Channel, Vikings and The Bible, I was surprised to see that they have a large solid silver logo of an "H" throughout the entire show. It is only gone during commercials. Am I right to be alarmed about what seems to be a very real possibility of burn-in?

I would like to know the answer to this as well. This is also my first plasma and I was concerned about the same thing. The funny thing is when I owned an LCD I watched the same channels and never really noticed the logos being present through the entire show.
post #3799 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrold14 View Post

I would like to know the answer to this as well. This is also my first plasma and I was concerned about the same thing. The funny thing is when I owned an LCD I watched the same channels and never really noticed the logos being present through the entire show.
You will be safe if you stay on movie mode. Never use dynamic. Badboy seems like an LED fanboy and probably should have bought one of those. He says movie mode looks dull compared to dynamic. Duh, show me a TV where that is not true. That is like saying, to me the moon looks dull when compared to the sun. Well, enjoy a plasma with a shortened life, and that is prone to burn in.

post #3800 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM

I
Quote:

i have had my plasma fior a little over a month. Logos every channel. I watch SD 4:3 HD, smart hub. No gaming though. Zero IR issues. I do nothing special, no babying, contrast is 96. I have a PN60E7000
post #3801 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 AM

S
Quote:

You will be safe if you stay on movie mode. Never use dynamic. Badboy seems like an LED fanboy and probably should have bought one of those. He says movie mode looks dull compared to dynamic. Duh, show me a TV where that is not true. That is like saying, to me the moon looks dull when compared to the sun. Well, enjoy a plasma with a shortened life, and that is prone to burn in.
shortened life us still probably 7-8 years. I bet power supply and other things go bad before phosphors die. Watch in dynamic mode though seems like it would hurt. The color is off blacks crush. It looks all wrong for the sake of super bright. I have my tv in a family room with skylight and big windows and movie mode is still plenty bright for daytime viewing fir me
post #3802 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrold14 View Post

Quote:

If you watch nothing but the History Channel then burn-in is a possible outcome. Otherwise, the worst case you need to worry about is image retention (IR). This confusion between the two must be caused by the vivid image for "BURN-IN" compared to an academic term like image retention. They are not the same thing.

If you watch a wide variety of source material, then IR shouldn't be a problem. Click here for a rant on this topic. eek.gif

Calibration Resources:

post #3803 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM

I had an ESPN logo burn in on my first PN64D7000 panel. This was due my old pad having a sliding glass door in the viewing area, and me using Standard mode on cell light 20 during the day as a result. I had multiple panel replacements for other issues before Samsung gave me an E series. I never made that mistake again, and thus never got any IR or burn in since. I will never use Dynamic mode as I know much better than that.

post #3804 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 02:39 PM

Anyone with an Pn60E7000..Just received mine.

Can anyone tell me what these 3 heavy metallic cylindrical things are in the bag that the remote and power cord comes in? Thanks!
post #3805 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Can anyone tell me what these 3 heavy metallic cylindrical things are in the bag that the remote and power cord comes in? Thanks!

ferrite cores for cords supposedly reduce cross noise/interference

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #3806 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

They are also called Ferrite Beads apparently. Anyway the 2 black ones are intended for the power cord, one on each end, and the light grey one is intended for an HDMI cord.

Should be installed like this:
http://products.mercola.com/ferrite-beads/ferrite_beads_howto.htm

However as the power cable is pretty thick it takes a little bit of effort and patience to get them on correctly.
post #3807 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 03:09 PM

Ah...I thought that might be it. But I already bought HDMI cords with ferrite cores from Monoprice. Thanks...
post #3808 of 4330 Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 174
do the ferrite things really work? do they need to be on ALL cables attached to tv? ie. bluray player, sound system, etc. thanks...

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #3809 of 4330 Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM

Can someone tell me how to access the "advanced picture settings" on my E7000? I can't find it for some reason. Thanks in advance..
post #3810 of 4330 Old 03-18-2013, 02:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
The ferrite cores did not reduce any signal noise / fuzzy speckles that is on some channels when I hooked them up to the power cord,but they may reduce interference that the tv is sending out to nearby Audio video equipment.I'm not very experienced using them.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page