post #361 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

I was at panasonic event sponsered by engadget.com. Someone in the crowd asked about buzzing. Panasonic rep replied that Plasma Tvs are very fragile panels. A lot issues occur in transit to the consumer.

Physical damage that occurs in shipping is not the same as buzzing caused by physical damage occurring in shipping which is usually much more severe than when a defect is causing it.

Quote:

I recently cancelled an order from a very reputable online retailer. The retailer told me the TV had to be pick up from there warehouse then to shipping Co. warehouse. It would then ship ground to another local warehouse then put on another truck to be out for delivery. The TV would've been moved in and out four different truck before it arrived at my house. My suggestion is that you purchase from a local online retailer or local brick and mortar seller.

Apparently you don't realize that both local B&M retailers and online retailers all pull their TVs from the same network of regional distribution warehouses scattered around the country so whether you buy it from Amazon or Best Buy, that TV could have been on 1-2 trains and then at 2-4 trucks before it gets to your home. I don't care if my new TV has been on two trucks or six trucks, as long as it arrives intact.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

I find it funny how you look at Panasonic's new-from-scratch designs and consider that a bad thing. Conversely, Samsung has some glaring issues such as a loud power supply buzz on many units, and it doesn't seem corrected this year. In my opinion, they're due for an overhaul as well, but that will likely never come with OLED knocking on the door...

Im just stating the facts . Panasonic have been having problems with there panels as well as Samsung .. Panasonic change there design to be more software based.
Past panasonic tvs was hardware based.
That's why the VT30 was so much bigger than the d8000 .
Samsung has been using software base tvs to make there panels smaller and thinner..
Panasonic will have problems and so will Samsung .. We will see in a few months how many there are !
FYI I'm a fan of picture quality not on name brands .. My current tv is pio elite kuro
post #363 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Physical damage that occurs in shipping is not the same as buzzing caused by physical damage occurring in shipping which is usually much more severe than when a defect is causing it.

Apparently you don't realize that both local B&M retailers and online retailers all pull their TVs from the same network of regional distribution warehouses scattered around the country so whether you buy it from Amazon or Best Buy, that TV could have been on 1-2 trains and then at 2-4 trucks before it gets to your home. I don't care if my new TV has been on two trucks or six trucks, as long as it arrives intact.

Most Tvs will arrive intact , however if it's coming from the west coast and your in the east .. It makes no sense..
Panasonic has distributor in new jersey . And ships from there.
I'm in new York..
LCD panels can be jostled around in truck and would be fine ..
Plasmas are alot different and delicate.
Plasmas can be damaged internally without external damages.
Do your research before you buy!
post #364 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 AM

High end retailers take special precautions when shipping and handling plasmas .
They know that they can be easily damaged.
post #365 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

That's just after it's in the US...

post #366 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Panasonic has distributor in new jersey .

And how did it get to New Jersey???

Mike

post #367 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by skentala View Post

...The ferrite cores are way to big to properly grasp any of the power, coax or ethernet cables....I had to improvise...

Note that the ferrites (I'm assuming there are 2 supplied, like with the D series) are really just included for the power cable and are supposed to be oversized. You have to loop the power cable through the ferrite, then clamp it down - this actually makes them more effective in reducing RFI. I think they recommend a single ferrite be used as close as possible to where the power cord enters the TV, the other can optionally be used on the plug end.
post #368 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

And how did it get to New Jersey???

Lol. Thats where they grow. Its just the right climate.

consider the source
post #369 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 11:22 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:

High end retailers take special precautions when shipping and handling plasmas . They know that they can be easily damaged.

False. High end retailers and anyone else having freight shipped have zero control over how their contracted trucking companies handle the freight.

The freight companies know full well how fragile the TVs are and how they need to be shipped upright etc etc, yet the material handlers in the depots and warehouses and loading docks still rough up the boxes, and the truck drivers don't give a crap and take corners hard and bounce their bobtail trucks over speed bumps and dips and railroad tracks and expensive freight still gets damaged all the time. It's been happening in my industry since i started in 1975 and continues to this day, and this on stuff costing 10-20 times more than a Plasma TV. We file damage claims all the time.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #370 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian s View Post

Lol. Thats where they grow. Its just the right climate.

So this new PS60E6500 then, is it worth buying or what ?? LOL !
post #371 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Note that the ferrites (I'm assuming there are 2 supplied, like with the D series) are really just included for the power cable and are supposed to be oversized. You have to loop the power cable through the ferrite, then clamp it down - this actually makes them more effective in reducing RFI. I think they recommend a single ferrite be used as close as possible to where the power cord enters the TV, the other can optionally be used on the plug end.

They actually include 3 - one single hole ferrite core for each end of the power cord basically as close to each end as you can get it...and yes I looped them to make it work although the manual does not show a loop in the picture.

The 3rd ferrite core is a double cord type clamp and the manual suggest you put your cat5 and coax cords through it. I have all 3 on and have had all 3 off and don't notice any difference in buzz, reception, etc. I'll leave them on for grins I guess!
post #372 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Hey RANDY take a look at one call.com
Video of how they handle large screen tvs . They use shock watch meter on there boxes. To insure they weren't shaken ..

Maybe your business should employ this so you wouldnt have that many claims!

Sir
post #373 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM

I wrote earlier about seeing motion on my e8000, but the picture is so much better than the LED that I'm going to stick with plasma and live with the minor annoyance. But, I'm going to return the e8000 because it's simply not worth the addition $400 from the e7000 (although I do feel lucky that mine doesn't buzz, and feel like I may be pushing my luck in replacing it).

I was planning on simply replacing it with the e7000, but I've read good things about the new Panasonic ST50, which is even cheaper than the e7000, so am wondering if I should consider that one. Are these comparable sets, or is the e7000 a higher end product (and therefore presumably better TV) than the ST50?
post #374 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM

You usually pay for what you get ..
The ST 50 have gotten great reviews..

You should wait til all the panels have been reviewed .. Ive own the D8000 and it's a great panel with a few issues
post #375 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Im just stating the facts . Panasonic have been having problems with there panels as well as Samsung .. Panasonic change there design to be more software based.
Past panasonic tvs was hardware based.
That's why the VT30 was so much bigger than the d8000 .
Samsung has been using software base tvs to make there panels smaller and thinner..
Panasonic will have problems and so will Samsung .. We will see in a few months how many there are !
FYI I'm a fan of picture quality not on name brands .. My current tv is pio elite kuro

Huh? Software based vs hardware based? What the heck are you talking about????

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #376 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:

Beat me to it...must be a virtual panel I've been watching...lol!

post #377 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skentala View Post

They actually include 3 - one single hole ferrite core for each end of the power cord basically as close to each end as you can get it...and yes I looped them to make it work although the manual does not show a loop in the picture.

The 3rd ferrite core is a double cord type clamp and the manual suggest you put your cat5 and coax cords through it. I have all 3 on and have had all 3 off and don't notice any difference in buzz, reception, etc. I'll leave them on for grins I guess!

Interesting that they added a third one.

Yeah, I didn't have any RFI issues before or after installing them on my power cable. As long as they're properly installed, you're probably better off using them given plasma's reputation as an RF polluter.
post #378 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, that is an interesting comment. I took it to mean that more hardware-based systems were employed in the old Panasonics, resulting in a bulkier set. A simpler, slimmer design is now possible with the more advanced processors they use for "smart" TVs, allowing the software to take over some of the hardware duties. This reduces the amount of circuitry they need to pack in there. I have no idea if that is correct, but sounds possible.
post #379 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, that is an interesting comment. I took it to mean that more hardware-based systems were employed in the old Panasonics, resulting in a bulkier set. A simpler, slimmer design is now possible with the more advanced processors they use for "smart" TVs, allowing the software to take over some of the hardware duties. This reduces the amount of circuitry they need to pack in there. I have no idea if that is correct, but sounds possible.

Still doesn't make sense. Hardware is hardware. They can redesign it and make it smaller, and perhaps move more analog hardware to digital (speaking in severely general terms here). Perhaps that's what he means. But digital hardware is still hardware.

Sources: I design digital ASICs for a living.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #380 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Still doesn't make sense. Hardware is hardware. They can redesign it and make it smaller, and perhaps move more analog hardware to digital (speaking in severely general terms here). Perhaps that's what he means. But digital hardware is still hardware.

Sources: I design digital ASICs for a living.

I seriously doubt he knows what he's talking about. If so I'd like to see the proof.

Mike

post #381 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Wow, some others that kinda feel as do.. I will agree that the C models were the better sets, Kinda sucks the things they have stripped away. Including the tip rope (very small i know). I noted in the instructions that it was recommended to buy as an extra. (Come on Samsung it is a safety item) I wall mount mine, but dang these E's wobble even more on there stands. I can work around the things i'm dissapointed about, Except the media player Very big dissapointment. But not sure i can deal with the loud buzz, my C did not have.
Still have no luck connecting to the samsung servers for apps, wired or wireless. Internet browser connects just fine, altho after 5 minutes with it, was all i could take, But thats why i have a HTPC...

I can say that i do think i notice deeper blacks than the C, After only some very slight pic adjustments in movie mode.

Things i noticed missing right off.
1- HDMI input.
Adjustment of media player picture (brightness,contrast, ECT).
Edge enhancement.
mini sub speaker.
Cable management items/tip rope.
I use a over the air antenea and i hate what they did to the tv guide.

So ya i think anybody coming from a C model may be dissapointed if they used all the features as we did. but none the less still a very nice TV with a great picture.
post #382 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:

That's correct .. I you look at the old panels of a few years back .. There were twice the size , because of components, hardware etc ..
New panels use smaller chips and less physical hardware and rely on software to drive processing .
Thus why there are more errors in processing..
post #383 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting, do you have any other examples of this trend or a reference to plasma tech?

I know the shift from hardware to software-based processing is well underway (some would say complete) in audio and video production, so it kind of makes sense to me (not that I really understand how a plasma works, but there is obviously some overlap).
post #384 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting, do you have any other examples of this trend or a reference to plasma tech?

I know the shift from hardware to software-based processing is well underway (some would say complete) in audio and video production, so it kind of makes sense to me (not that I really understand how a plasma works, but there is obviously some overlap).

It's not so much a shift from HW to SW processing as it is a consolidation of chips and reduction of chip area thanks to newer, lower power process technologies. What were once power hungry chipsets are now SoC's. It's still hardware, all the same. Thanks to the lower power, I'm sure the analog components and power supplies are a large chunk of this size reduction.

Still goes back to my original point: why look at Panasonic's ground-up rework as a bad thing, and Samsung's minor evolution as a good thing? At the very least, it sounds like the Samsung power supply design needs some attention. Sounds like some ownership-induced fanboyism creeping into these arguments.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #385 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:

It's not so much a shift from HW to SW processing as it is a consolidation of chips and reduction of chip area thanks to newer, lower power process technologies. What were once power hungry chipsets are now SoC's. It's still hardware, all the same. Thanks to the lower power, I'm sure the analog components and power supplies are a large chunk of this size reduction.

Still goes back to my original point: why look at Panasonic's ground-up rework as a bad thing, and Samsung's minor evolution as a good thing? At the very least, it sounds like the Samsung power supply design needs some attention. Sounds like some ownership-induced fanboyism creeping into these arguments.

I fan of picture quality not of name brands. I'm in the market for 60+ in plasma tv . Right now I ordered the 64E8000..if it doesn't meet my standards . I'll return it and try out the GT or VT 50.
Last years VT30 colors were inaccurate and that's not acceptable.. Samsung colors were exceptional. Samsung improved the black levels this year and Panasonic fixed there color issues this year. We will see who will win overall best picture.
It will take six months till we can sort out all the issues these panels will have .
post #386 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 06:41 PM

Does anyone have info on the Samsung wireless keyboard? Eta/price and if it will work with e7000
post #387 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beliaal View Post

Does anyone have info on the Samsung wireless keyboard? Eta/price and if it will work with e7000

I think it was a $100.00 or so. dont know if a logitec would work or not gonna try a combo tommorow.

For above my E7000 only came with 2 ferrite cores not 3.
post #388 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Funny thing happened today. I was able to get my tv re hung today and i can say my buzz is now pretty much gone, unless with in a few feet.It was placed on a stand in a corner, and i think that made it much louder but now being hung and close to the wall its gone. Also i was having issues with connecting to samsung servers for apps. so decided to do a hard reset, since when i first hook the tv up it crashed my whole network and nothing worked. Went into the service menu and was not able to find the factory reset, But once i backed out everything work afterwards. i tried the resets for the D model but no luck there either.

So, still i find it sucks that some of features i really liked about the C model are gone from this tv including Rovi TV Listings that were present last year even. I suppose the last kick is if i want atleast a year warrenty im looking at $300, if i want 3 years its $500. No other warrenty company will touch this tv that i know of, since it was a replacement its worth nothing as i was told.
post #389 of 4310 Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM

Just thought I would throw my two cents in. My PN51E7000 arrived today and I spent some time playing with it this evening.

This was a big upgrade for me, coming from an older 40" LCD (Samsung LNS4095D)

It arrived with no screen issues. The movie mode is very nice looking, and I am incredibly impressed with the 2D>3D conversion (with a little bit of tweaking) That is going to be a lot of fun for older movies and video games.

This being my first plasma, I was concerned with the reports of buzzing. I did notice a very, very faint buzz (especially with the 3D on) but it's so faint that the fan from my PS3 or Xbox basically drowns it out. I sit about 8 feet from the screen, and the only time I noticed the buzz was when all of my speakers were muted and my A/C was not running. During any type of normal use, you'd never notice it.

The picture on this TV is gorgeous. The colors are fantastic. If anyone is on the fence about this one (I was) I'm a fairly detail oriented person in the design industry, and was worried I'd find some tiny thing that would bother me- but I couldn't be happier with this set.

Now that this thing is set up in my living room- I'd be happy to try to answer any questions any of you might have about this TV.
post #390 of 4310 Old 04-04-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namssorg View Post

Just thought I would throw my two cents in. My PN51E7000 arrived today and I spent some time playing with it this evening.

This was a big upgrade for me, coming from an older 40" LCD (Samsung LNS4095D)

It arrived with no screen issues. The movie mode is very nice looking, and I am incredibly impressed with the 2D>3D conversion (with a little bit of tweaking) That is going to be a lot of fun for older movies and video games.

This being my first plasma, I was concerned with the reports of buzzing. I did notice a very, very faint buzz (especially with the 3D on) but it's so faint that the fan from my PS3 or Xbox basically drowns it out. I sit about 8 feet from the screen, and the only time I noticed the buzz was when all of my speakers were muted and my A/C was not running. During any type of normal use, you'd never notice it.

The picture on this TV is gorgeous. The colors are fantastic. If anyone is on the fence about this one (I was) I'm a fairly detail oriented person in the design industry, and was worried I'd find some tiny thing that would bother me- but I couldn't be happier with this set.

Now that this thing is set up in my living room- I'd be happy to try to answer any questions any of you might have about this TV.

So the E7000's are starting to ship!! Where did you get yours from, and for how much, if you dont mind me asking. I am on the fence between the 64 E series, and the Panasonic VT50's. I cant wait to start seeing the reviews on these TV's Exciting stuff.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page