post #3871 of 4345 Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Well hopefully you didnt actually pay much if anything for the EW........You can run slides to see if it goes away or run full screen content, it "should" fade over time, but only time will tell.......
Technically I did not pay anything for the 5 year warranty. He dropped the price of the TV to eight and change and after adding the 5 year warranty the total of the TV and warranty was $1100 plus tax. Exactly what I paid before I had any warranty. Seemed like a great deal considering I can now have them swap out the panel plus be covered for years to come.

I am running the scrolling feature found in the settings menu for pixel burn in. Do you think that is more effective then running colored slides?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4345 Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Technically I did not pay anything for the 5 year warranty. He dropped the price of the TV to eight and change and after adding the 5 year warranty the total of the TV and warranty was $1100 plus tax. Exactly what I paid before I had any warranty. Seemed like a great deal considering I can now have them swap out the panel plus be covered for years to come.

I am running the scrolling feature found in the settings menu for pixel burn in. Do you think that is more effective then running colored slides?

Eitehr will work, the only benifit of slides is that they can run overnight wink.gif ...I would check every so often to see if the IR you saw starts to fade...If it fades away you should be OK......
eric3316 likes this.
post #3873 of 4345 Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:

Quote:

Eitehr will work, the only benifit of slides is that they can run overnight wink.gif ...I would check every so often to see if the IR you saw starts to fade...If it fades away you should be OK......
I would run a Blu-ray or DVD disk on repeat instead of slides. One reason for using slides is to get even aging. I think in your case random aging will work better. Full screen Pixar movies are a very good work out.
eric3316 likes this.
post #3874 of 4345 Old 03-31-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I would run a Blu-ray or DVD disk on repeat instead of slides. One reason for using slides is to get even aging. I think in your case random aging will work better. Full screen Pixar movies are a very good work out.

Thanks guys!

The best thing was when speaking to the manager at Best Buy he actually knew about TVs unlike any of the salesman. He knew exactly what the issue was so I didn't need to explain it to him. He told me he walked by the TVs the other day and they had just setup the F8500 and it was playing a widescreen movie. He was like what is wrong with you people! The first 100 - 200 hours are the most important break-in time and you should not be running a wide screen movie on this thing! You would think the TV sales guys would know this kind of stuff.
Quote:

Well hopefully you didnt actually pay much if anything for the EW........You can run slides to see if it goes away or run full screen content, it "should" fade over time, but only time will tell.......
As far as settings go:
These are for the 8K but should give you a starrting point for the 7K:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-561058/samsung-pn60e8000-picture-settings/?tag=StickyWin_1334693678140;createThreadPopup

If you do a search in this thread I am sure youll find a number of posts by members with thier settings.....
Those settings look great! It doesn't look like I can set Cinema Smooth under film mode. It is greyed out. Only Auto 1 and Auto 2 is available. Do I need to play a DVD to select that?

Also, when playing a DVD do I need to re-do all the settings again or will they carry over. I checked quickly when I first got the TV yesterday and when playing a DVD it would not let me even turn on the white balance settings. It was greyed out but available when I was using DirectTV. Both were in movie mode....

Also the option to shift pixels around during play is not selectable. How do you make that option selectable? I am guessing it is based on something else that I need to change?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure everything is working correctly.....Appreciate all the help!
post #3875 of 4345 Old 03-31-2013, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwi View Post

abalone: I'd be surprised if this was dithering. Those pixels are randomly shutting off or lighting up with a bright green color. I've heard something about plasmas and pulse width modulation noise, I'm reading up. Again, I'm not complaining, I'd just like to know what it is, and/or if it is common to all. It's not hard to capture in a still. Any solid colored area will do on my set.

Here's the promised pic of a section of a red slide on my E7000. From a few inches away no dark or light pixels anywhere on the screen.

Here's a larger version: http://i.imgur.com/HnXFPCT.jpg
post #3876 of 4345 Old 03-31-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a pic of what the screen looks like....You can see the color difference where the wide screen pic would play.

post #3877 of 4345 Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Run a mix of content and hopefully it starts to fade..... That almost looks like banding that can happen with a faulty panel......I cant say for sure so hopefully its just IR and fades away smile.gif
post #3878 of 4345 Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
abalone: Thanks for the pic. Mine would have random pixels going to black all over that red field. Hopefully my new E7000 coming this week will look like yours. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post

Here's the promised pic of a section of a red slide on my E7000. From a few inches away no dark or light pixels anywhere on the screen.

Here's a larger version: http://i.imgur.com/HnXFPCT.jpg
post #3879 of 4345 Old 03-31-2013, 04:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks guys!

The best thing was when speaking to the manager at Best Buy he actually knew about TVs unlike any of the salesman. He knew exactly what the issue was so I didn't need to explain it to him. He told me he walked by the TVs the other day and they had just setup the F8500 and it was playing a widescreen movie. He was like what is wrong with you people! The first 100 - 200 hours are the most important break-in time and you should not be running a wide screen movie on this thing! You would think the TV sales guys would know this kind of stuff.
Quote:

As far as settings go:
These are for the 8K but should give you a starrting point for the 7K:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-561058/samsung-pn60e8000-picture-settings/?tag=StickyWin_1334693678140;createThreadPopup

If you do a search in this thread I am sure youll find a number of posts by members with thier settings.....
Those settings look great! It doesn't look like I can set Cinema Smooth under film mode. It is greyed out. Only Auto 1 and Auto 2 is available. Do I need to play a DVD to select that?

Also, when playing a DVD do I need to re-do all the settings again or will they carry over. I checked quickly when I first got the TV yesterday and when playing a DVD it would not let me even turn on the white balance settings. It was greyed out but available when I was using DirectTV. Both were in movie mode....

Also the option to shift pixels around during play is not selectable. How do you make that option selectable? I am guessing it is based on something else that I need to change?

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to make sure everything is working correctly.....Appreciate all the help!

Everything is working correctly you just want to get the settings to maximize your experience biggrin.gif
post #3880 of 4345 Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Plasma displays do something called dithering which creates the desired shade of color. The rule of thumb for plasma is to sit far enough away from the set so that you don't see dithering. Someone who exceeds the norm in distance eye sight might have a problem owning a plasma. Otherwise it's normal.
This is not dithering. What he is seeing are pixel misfires. Did you see his pictures? If so, you should have caught that. Misfiring pixels can be fixed as far as I know. The process involves opening up the television and making voltage adjustments.

According to Zoyd, a possible fix would be to adjust the Yrr pot inside of the TV counterclockwise very slowly, in small increments until the misfires disappear. I personally would set up a mirror in front of the display so that I could see what was happening with the misfires as I adjust the Yrr pot. For more info on what the process will involve, look here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390635/samsung-plasma-panel-tweaks-for-better-blacks

And here is a guy who fixed his TV using this method:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1405848/question-regarding-pixel-misfires-zoyd

If it works out he will have fixed his C series too.

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
post #3881 of 4345 Old 03-31-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post

Quote:

Did you see his pictures? If so, you should have caught that.
Sorry. I'm not sure I saw the pictures. If his set can be repaired that's great.
post #3882 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 05:39 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

No, I am in NC and need some help guys.

Got the TV home today and seems like I was lied to. It was not a return like I was told it was actually a floor model as I found the original sticker uner the doscounted price. It has 3,000 hourson the TV and after running some slides on the lighter colors I can see where they ran widescreen movies as it is darker in that spot.

My questions are is this something that can be evened out over time or is is already a gonner. Also, since you cannot see it when watching anything should I go back to them and complain and keep the TV if they give me a few hundred off? If I return it then with my budget I would only be able to get the new 2013 Sasmung PN60F5500.

So not sure if I go with the lesser quality TV or keep the better TV and try to get a better price on it.

Update: Went to Best Buy and spoke with a manager. He was awesome. He discounted the TV so I could purchase the 5 year protection plan. So price stayed the same but now have 5 years of coverage. Cool thing is that their coverage covers burn in so I can now have the panel replaced.

I must say I am so happy with the PQ of this TV. After going through 6 LED TVs before ending up here it is definitley the best picture. At the start of my TV hunt I was so against plasma's and just thought it was like going back to the age of the dinosaur with all the stores pushing their LED TVs. Boy was I wrong and good thing I found this site because it finally pushed me to look at plasma's!

What are the recommended settings for this TV? I keep reading about CNET settings but haven't seen any for this TV? I just bought the Disney WOW disk but haven't really dug into it and it looks like it is going to take time to use it correctly and to it's fullest extent. Would prefer to see what is alreay out there first.
There is a tool in the menus for removing IR. it washes the screen with a white to black revolving pattern. Not sure how well it works as I have never needed it but that us what it is there for
post #3883 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcdav View Post

There is a tool in the menus for removing IR. it washes the screen with a white to black revolving pattern. Not sure how well it works as I have never needed it but that us what it is there for
Yeah, I ran that last night. I would probably have to do this for weeks before I might notice a difference if any.

I think I am going to just have Best Buy swap out the panel through the extended warranty I bought. Going to try and have them do it before my 15 day return window is up in case they give me any push back.

Even if they don't swap out the panel it is a tough decision considering I only paid $889 for this TV before adding the 5 year extended warranty.
post #3884 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM

Icon13: Thanks for the post. I never paid attention if these misfires went away after the set had been on for some time, etc. I'll note it. Not one for opening up the back of my plasma. Any ballpark on how much it would cost to get this looked at? Again, it might not be worth it as I don't see it unless I'm right on top of the TV.

Thanks again.
post #3885 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Here is a pic of what the screen looks like....You can see the color difference where the wide screen pic would play.

What size TV is this?
i have a PN60E8000 AND I have not had this happen to me run the scroll bar for a while and it will fade now on my PN50C7000 this happens if i watch CNN it will be real bad but after running full content movies it fades away or i'll just run the scroll bar and that does the same thing

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
post #3886 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwi View Post

Icon13: Thanks for the post. I never paid attention if these misfires went away after the set had been on for some time, etc. I'll note it. Not one for opening up the back of my plasma. Any ballpark on how much it would cost to get this looked at? Again, it might not be worth it as I don't see it unless I'm right on top of the TV.

Thanks again.

have you contacted Samsung they should be able to hook you up with a local repair center

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers / 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos / Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
post #3887 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

What size TV is this?
i have a PN60E8000 AND I have not had this happen to me run the scroll bar for a while and it will fade now on my PN50C7000 this happens if i watch CNN it will be real bad but after running full content movies it fades away or i'll just run the scroll bar and that does the same thing
It is the 60" 7000. It was a floor model so I am assuming they ran wide screen movies for a long time on it.
post #3888 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Screw running slides or any other hocus pocus mumbo jumbo. Just use your warranty and get a new panel. You will basically have a new TV as the panel includes everything but the power supply and mainboard. It is a simple procedure. Hook yourself up!

Besides, if it was a floor model they probably had it set to dynamic and what you are seeing is not IR, but burn in. The difference between the two is that burn in never goes away.
eric3316 likes this.

post #3889 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is the 60" 7000. It was a floor model so I am assuming they ran wide screen movies for a long time on it.

the reason i asked about the size was i read that the 51" plasmas seem to have more IR then the 60" mine is a PN60E8000 i don't notice any IR if at all, but my PN50C7000 is a different story that one retains image like right now not sure what the difference is in panels

post #3890 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Screw running slides or any other hocus pocus mumbo jumbo. Just use your warranty and get a new panel. You will basically have a new TV as the panel includes everything but the power supply and mainboard. It is a simple procedure. Hook yourself up!

Besides, if it was a floor model they probably had it set to dynamic and what you are seeing is not IR, but burn in. The difference between the two is that burn in never goes away.

i would do the same thing if they will replace the panel then i would go for that

post #3891 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

i would do the same thing if they will replace the panel then i would go for that
Yup, I agree! Away for the next week but I am going to set up an appt. for the week I come back. If they give me any type of run around I can just return it if I choose but I do not see why they would. Their warranty covers burn in and the manager at Best Buy said they should just replace the whole panel as well. Said their new system allows you to tell them what is wrong if you know so they just come out with the part instead of making a visit to check and then having to return again. We shall see. Thanks for all the feedback!

So with a panel, I would break it in as if it was a new TV right?

Oh, and I just want to say to all those people who say plasma's are terrible with glare. This thing destroys the 55lm7600 LED TV I had when it comes to glare during the day!
post #3892 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Yes, break it in as if new... or don't since only older model plasmas need that. Just stick to movie mode.

If they give you any BS, just get the store manager involved.

post #3893 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I ran that last night. I would probably have to do this for weeks before I might notice a difference if any.

I think I am going to just have Best Buy swap out the panel through the extended warranty I bought. Going to try and have them do it before my 15 day return window is up in case they give me any push back.

Even if they don't swap out the panel it is a tough decision considering I only paid $889 for this TV before adding the 5 year extended warranty.
If u use the warranty try samsumg first. Doesn't beat buys warranty cap the dollars spent at the cost of the TV? U could lose your warranty first month?
post #3894 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Forgot. Samsung doesn't cover IR or burn in. Stil would suck to use up warranty so fast if that is the case

At my local best buy they had an IR issue on a flor model from a DVD menu. It cleaned up pretty nice. If you have 15 days left maybe spend a few trying to clean it up
post #3895 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If u use the warranty try samsumg first. Doesn't beat buys warranty cap the dollars spent at the cost of the TV? U could lose your warranty first month?
Didn't see that anywhere in the terms. Can you let me know where you heard or saw that? Doesn't make sense that anyone under their warranty would end for anyone who needs a new panel. If that is the case I would change my warranty to the 2 year and save lots more money and get the panel replaced instead of keeping the 5 year.
post #3896 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Duplicate post
post #3897 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV4Sooner View Post

I bought the ST60 Thursday night, here are some of my initial concerns and impressions: ST60

So you've owned both (how long did you own the Samsung?). I was also considering the E8000.

Did you feel like the Samsung handled HD cable content better? That's my biggest concern with the ST60 right now.

I read your comments on the ST60, and think they're pretty much on the mark. I had the E7000 for a couple of weeks. I thought it was a nice set.
I felt it had a thin mask over it in the sense that the colors seemed muted. Like it was just missing some punch. As far as how it handles my HD Cable box, I would say it did a better job, but the 60 is not a slouch by any stretch to me. I was pleasantly suprised by the filter on the 60. In the same room they were very comparable. Overall, I liked the punch and black levels too much on the 60.

Let me know what you decide.
post #3898 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Didn't see that anywhere in the terms. Can you let me know where you heard or saw that? Doesn't make sense that anyone under their warranty would end for anyone who needs a new panel. If that is the case I would change my warranty to the 2 year and save lots more money and get the panel replaced instead of keeping the 5 year.
I read the Best Buy warranty again:
____________________________________________________________________________________
"If we determine, at our sole discretion, that your product cannot be repaired, we will replace it with a product of like kind and quality that is of comparable performance or reimburse you for replacement of the product with a voucher or gift card, at our discretion, equal to the current market value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes."
_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Replacement parts or products may be new or rebuilt to meet the manufacturer's specifications of the original product at our discretion. Our obligations under this Plan will be fulfilled in their entirety if we replace your product with a new or refurbished product or issue you a voucher or gift card for replacement value of your product pursuant to these terms and conditions."

_________________________________________________________________________________________

G. No Lemon Policy.
 After two (2) qualified service repairs have been completed on an individual product and that individual product requires a third (3rd) qualified repair, as determined by us, we will replace it with a product of like kind and quality that is of comparable performance or reimburse you for replacement of the product with a voucher or gift card, at our discretion, equal to the current market value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes.
 Replacement products may be new or rebuilt to meet the manufacturer’s specifications of the original product at our discretion. Technological advances may result in a replacement product with a lower selling price than the original product.
 For clearance, open-box and other products originally purchased at a discount, we reserve the right to issue a gift card or voucher for the current purchase price plus tax of a comparable product.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

N. Limits of Liability.
For any single claim, the limit of liability under this Plan is the lesser of the cost of (1) authorized repairs, (2) replacement with a new or refurbished product of like kind and quality that is of comparable performance, or (3) reimbursement for authorized repairs or replacement. The total liability under this Plan is the current market value of the product, as determined by us, not to exceed the original purchase price of your product, including taxes. Technological advances may result in a replacement product with a lower selling price than the original product. In the event that the total of all authorized repairs exceeds the current market value of the product or we replace the product, we shall have satisfied all obligations owed under the Plan.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

No Lemon policy kicks in after 3 repairs, most others are 4 so that is good. All sections above are from the Geek Squad ptotection here. All sections referenced above limit their liablility to the price you paid for the TV. $899? I do not know the cost to replace the panel with labor but could be close IMO. maybe not. I doubt they replace the TV at the price you paid, a gift card is the most likely scenario if the TV is deemed by them unrepairable. If the cost to repair exceeds the price you paid it will be demmed unrepairablre.
post #3899 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 PM

One more thing. I like Best Buy, I originally bought my TV there. It was an open box with issues. I talked to the store manager about getting the Geek Warranty at a discount, to match the price of other warranties I had researched. The store manager told me he could not and would not discount the warranty. The reason he said was because he was involved in a situation were a warranty was discounted and when a claim was filed the claim was kicked out, denied and the warranty was refunded. He did not want to be in that situation again. I am not saying that will happen, I do not even know if he was being completely honest. Just saying. If you file the claim ask lots of questions and know what you are getting for your dime.
post #3900 of 4345 Old 04-01-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One more thing. I like Best Buy, I originally bought my TV there. It was an open box with issues. I talked to the store manager about getting the Geek Warranty at a discount, to match the price of other warranties I had researched. The store manager told me he could not and would not discount the warranty. The reason he said was because he was involved in a situation were a warranty was discounted and when a claim was filed the claim was kicked out, denied and the warranty was refunded. He did not want to be in that situation again. I am not saying that will happen, I do not even know if he was being completely honest. Just saying. If you file the claim ask lots of questions and know what you are getting for your dime.
Thanks....Yeah, the manager said he could not discount the warranty at all but could discount the TV and it would be my choice what I wanted to do with that money.

Wonder when they would make the decision, before they even come out? If they deny the claim then I would have to decide to either return the TV and the warranty plan and purchase the Samsung pn60f5500 which will be a big step down I am sure or deal with the screen, return the warranty and pay $889 for this TV.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page