Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 4332 Old 04-07-2013, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

when you say dancing pixels not sure what you mean i don't see that at all. i'm wondering if it's some kind of static do you have clean power suppy is you HDMI CABLE running close to the power cord i'm not saying that what it is but i'm just wondering you have start somewhere

This is the corner of my screen on the BDP menu, little green pizels dance around the corners:

I thought it could be power interference too, except that it happens around the TV Source box too:

I am able to reduce and even eliminate it by making the screen dimmer, but I don't think its worth it to lose the PQ. Not sure what the issue is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4332 Old 04-07-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Pictures are kind of small and the lights should be off wink.gif have you tried different HDMI cables, Direct connect cable if you are going via AVR?
post #3963 of 4332 Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 PM

Sorry about the pics. It is direct connected, and I figured if it were the HDMI, the TV's own HUD wouldn't also cause it. I'll swap out cables and work on my cable management.
post #3964 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 AM

More regarding jagged edges. I've turned down sharpening and turned off some automatic features as suggested, but some content has obvious jagged edges. Example "Futurama", an animated show which is probably all done with computer animation, has jagged edges on nearly everything. Is this the limit of 1080i with computer images or is something wrong?

Also, I think I overbought with the E7000. I don't need the 3D feature, and I could do without the Internet features. The main reasons I picked this model over others is because I was told it had some sort of anti-reflect filter (it seems like a big black mirror to me), it beat out Panasonic in the IR test from CNET, and it is lighter so I can handle it myself next time I move. However I would consider returning it for a scaled down model if i could get comparable picture quality.

Thanks for your comments.

post #3965 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I now use a gamma of -1 in my picture settings.

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
post #3966 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoham View Post

More regarding jagged edges. I've turned down sharpening and turned off some automatic features as suggested, but some content has obvious jagged edges. Example "Futurama", an animated show which is probably all done with computer animation, has jagged edges on nearly everything. Is this the limit of 1080i with computer images or is something wrong?

Also, I think I overbought with the E7000. I don't need the 3D feature, and I could do without the Internet features. The main reasons I picked this model over others is because I was told it had some sort of anti-reflect filter (it seems like a big black mirror to me), it beat out Panasonic in the IR test from CNET, and it is lighter so I can handle it myself next time I move. However I would consider returning it for a scaled down model if i could get comparable picture quality.

Thanks for your comments.
Any lower model has inferior PQ, including the 6500 as it has inferior video processing. You, imo, got the best bang for the buck on your E7000. The PQ is pretty much the same as the 8000, but you did not pay all that extra cost for voice and motion gestures.

As for the jagged edges, what piture mode are you using? What is your source (dvd, blu-ray, cable box, directv, OTA, streaming...)? When you are watching Futurama, what does the screen say if you hit the info button on your TV remote? This what the incoming signal is. It should indicate a 1080i or 720p signal if watching on a hd channel. If not, your cable/sat box in not properly set to show the correct resolutions.

If you are watching in SD, what did you expect to see? And if you are using dynamic mode, stop. Use movie mode instead.
xoham likes this.

THE ALL MIGHTY MACACASIAH HAS SPOKEN!
post #3967 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 13
I have had my PN60E7000 for a couple of months now and love it. SD is. Little fuzzy compared to HD but no jagged edges anywhere I use movie mode sharpness zero. DNR off. I'm guess your settings are not optimized or cables may not be good. Do you use HDMI?
post #3968 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon13 View Post

Any lower model has inferior PQ, including the 6500 as it has inferior video processing. You, imo, got the best bang for the buck on your E7000. The PQ is pretty much the same as the 8000, but you did not pay all that extra cost for voice and motion gestures.

As for the jagged edges, what piture mode are you using? What is your source (dvd, blu-ray, cable box, directv, OTA, streaming...)? When you are watching Futurama, what does the screen say if you hit the info button on your TV remote? This what the incoming signal is. It should indicate a 1080i or 720p signal if watching on a hd channel. If not, your cable/sat box in not properly set to show the correct resolutions.

If you are watching in SD, what did you expect to see? And if you are using dynamic mode, stop. Use movie mode instead.

I am watching TV from Comcast and a cable box. The info screen says 1080i and the channel is an HD one. It is connected via HDMI. I am using the default picture mode (don't recall off hand) with sharpness turned way down as advised earlier. I also turned off some of the other picture adjustments like MPEG etc.

post #3969 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 10
I've got a problem with my Samsung PN60E7000. There is a thick black line that is going through the upper part of the screen, it seems to be intermittent. It happens and then after power cycling the panel it goes away but of course I know that it will be back and I don't think that this is normal. Has anybody else had this problem and what is the fix for it . Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

Thanks
post #3970 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I am watching TV from Comcast and a cable box. The info screen says 1080i and the channel is an HD one. It is connected via HDMI. I am using the default picture mode (don't recall off hand) with sharpness turned way down as advised earlier. I also turned off some of the other picture adjustments like MPEG etc.

Futurama was just on Comedy Central HD. It was in 4:3 format with side bars. You sure you're talking about a real HD original show? That 1080i doesn't mean anything if the original wasn't produced in HD. I didn't see much in the way of jaggies, but it was clearly not HD quality.
post #3971 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 View Post

I've got a problem with my Samsung PN60E7000. There is a thick black line that is going through the upper part of the screen, it seem to be intermittent. It happens and then after power cycling the panel it goes away but of course I know that it will be back and I don't think that this is normal. Has anybody else had this problem and what is the fix for it . Your prompt replies will be appreciated.

Thanks

Check out Samsung support troubleshooting online. They've got a page on this specific issue. Basically they say if it happens with different sources it's a defect in the TV.
post #3972 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 100
You need to contact Samsung like right now if this is a new TV that will be covered

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
post #3973 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Go into your menu to support self diagnose if when you select picture test if it's still there then it's the TV take a picture of that screen that's in the self diagnose and its still there send that to Samsung that's what a repair guy told me to do because that would eliminate any other hook up issues because Samsung wants you eliminate if it's a cable box or a HDMI cable or an AV Receiver

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos top front Ceiling Speakers
post #3974 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post

Futurama was just on Comedy Central HD. It was in 4:3 format with side bars. You sure you're talking about a real HD original show? That 1080i doesn't mean anything if the original wasn't produced in HD. I didn't see much in the way of jaggies, but it was clearly not HD quality.

The one I was watching was 16:9, no side bars and not zoomed in, so I'm pretty sure it is. Futurama shows this the most, but any fonts, especially white credits on a black background like most movies, really show this. Also the Comcast bar you see when you tune channels shows it pretty well too.

post #3975 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I now use a gamma of -1 in my picture settings.

I also use -1 for gamma but some source's depending on the programming or movie I'll move it back to 0

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #3976 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The one I was watching was 16:9, no side bars and not zoomed in, so I'm pretty sure it is. Futurama shows this the most, but any fonts, especially white credits on a black background like most movies, really show this. Also the Comcast bar you see when you tune channels shows it pretty well too.

If it's 16: 9 that doesn't mean it's HD there is many channels even on directv that are full screen and are not HD

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #3977 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:

I'm not on Comcast so can't see the bar you're talking about, but that could easily not be HD. Fonts vary greatly, but from what I've seen on my E7000 the source is the limiting factor. The TV is very capable of excellent sharpness and detail, and high quality fonts show no obvious jaggies on my 64" from 10 feet. Are you using "screen fit" size?
post #3978 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abalone View Post

I'm not on Comcast so can't see the bar you're talking about, but that could easily not be HD. Fonts vary greatly, but from what I've seen on my E7000 the source is the limiting factor. The TV is very capable of excellent sharpness and detail, and high quality fonts show no obvious jaggies on my 64" from 10 feet. Are you using "screen fit" size?

No. The screen fit or zoom affects all channels at once. I only do it for the few 4:3 shows I watch out of paranoia for IR. I was careful to check this.

I can tell you that the fonts generated by the TV are smooth. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the cable box is bad, even though it clearly says so on the front panel 1080i. There's no setting to change anything related to that however.

Maybe because I have not hooked up the internet to it yet? I will borrow a router tomorrow.

post #3979 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:

No. The screen fit or zoom affects all channels at once. I only do it for the few 4:3 shows I watch out of paranoia for IR. I was careful to check this.

I can tell you that the fonts generated by the TV are smooth. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the cable box is bad, even though it clearly says so on the front panel 1080i. There's no setting to change anything related to that however.

Maybe because I have not hooked up the internet to it yet? I will borrow a router tomorrow.

Don't understand your "screen fit" comment. Does "no" mean you're not using "screen fit"? It's not zoom, it's the opposite. Of course it affects all channels. But it's the sharpest setting. Connecting to the internet has nothing to do with how your cable source looks. Small white fonts on a black screen will never look smooth up close on a HD TV. Are you comparing it to another TV or a PC monitor? If set up correctly, and with a good source, this TV has excellent sharpness, so not sure what you're missing. Maybe pics would help.

Here's a pic I just took of the 4:3 version of Futurama on Comedy Central HD, which of course is a poor source. There's some ghosting in the source, that's not from the TV, but for SD it's pretty smooth. Does this look jaggy to you? And real HD is that much better.

xoham likes this.
post #3980 of 4332 Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 PM

Did u set your cable box to native and hdmi YCC ? Do u know how to access the cable box menu by turning the box off and pressing the menu button...
post #3981 of 4332 Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcdav View Post

Did u set your cable box to native and hdmi YCC ? Do u know how to access the cable box menu by turning the box off and pressing the menu button...

I saw no option to set the cable box to native or HDMI YCC. I did not know there was a menu when turned off. I'll try it tonight.

post #3982 of 4332 Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:

Screw running slides or any other hocus pocus mumbo jumbo. Just use your warranty and get a new panel. You will basically have a new TV as the panel includes everything but the power supply and mainboard. It is a simple procedure. Hook yourself up!

Besides, if it was a floor model they probably had it set to dynamic and what you are seeing is not IR, but burn in. The difference between the two is that burn in never goes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

i would do the same thing if they will replace the panel then i would go for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Yup, I agree! Away for the next week but I am going to set up an appt. for the week I come back. If they give me any type of run around I can just return it if I choose but I do not see why they would. Their warranty covers burn in and the manager at Best Buy said they should just replace the whole panel as well. Thanks for all the feedback!

So with a panel, I would break it in as if it was a new TV right?

Oh, and I just want to say to all those people who say plasma's are terrible with glare. This thing destroys the 55lm7600 LED TV I had when it comes to glare during the day!
So just had the Geek Squad come to my home and I must say for anyone questioning an extended warranty from them is seems truly legit now.

To catch others up, I had purchased an open box PN60E7000 from BB last week. Was told it was just a return but when I got it home it was actually a floor model with 3,000 hours on it and had burn in from letterbox movies they had probably played for the past year. Went back and spoke to the manager and he refunded me money on the TV to cover their 5 year extended plan. Said they cover burn in and they would just swap out the panel.

Well the geeksquad rep came to my home today. Looked at the screen and said yup, looks pretty bad. Will order a new panel for you and that was it. Rescheduled an appt. for next Friday as it takes about 7-10 days for them to receive it. Said I will basically have a new TV so no need to worry about the 3,000 hours on it. Man, that was extremely painless!

So for anyone looking at floor model plasma's at BB and are worried about screen burn-in, try to talk the sales rep down enough on the price so you can add the extended warranty for not that much more if anything. They can't discount the warranty but they can discount the TV so you can purchase the warranty. This definitley will give you piece of mind when purchasing a floor model of an electronic device. I always said I would never purchase a floor model of an electronic device but knowing you are covered like this makes it worth it for the money you might be able to spend. Otherwise I would had to of purchased an inferior new TV to this top of the line Samsung.
post #3983 of 4332 Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 AM

Liked: 10
Just picked up a PN64E7000 last night. Didn't even have time to open the box. This is my first plasma. I owned a sony lcd rear projector (Still running in basement play room) and an 37 inch LCD I am using in the room right now. I have been really torn with the whole LCD vs Plasma thing. Really hoping I am going to be happy with my choice. Biggest concerns are the whole bright room thing. Everything you read says LCD but I had more than one sales person say I wouldn't let that scare you away from plasma. But I am telling you its a very bright day light room. Then again I am not watching TV all day. I had both the panny and the samsung recommended as the best for bright room plasma from different salesmen.

The other thing is the whole IR burn in break in thing. That scares me big time. I will be watching on eggshells for first 200 hrs. Try explaining that issue to family too. Wife is not going to understand.
Not sure I am even going to mention it. Slides no slides watch don't watch. I only hope the soap opera channel has no bars. Because after all that's what it was bought for. At-least until football season.

On the plus side. I have always wanted a plasma ever since I saw the Elite on the wall next to sony lcd rear projection I bought a decade ago.
Also My wife actually picked it out. She liked the look of the bezel. I don't think she realized how big it was surrounded by all the others.
A big plus is price. Last of the leftover 2012 HDTV's. New in box too. Same cost as 2013 55 inch LED.
They had an e7000 on display on same wall opposite side of the new 64f8500.

Hopefully people will still be hanging around this thread and not the new f8500.
I am sure I will be looking for some advice.
First task after I un-box tonight is figuring out how high to mount it on the wall.
This will be my first wall mounted tv also.
post #3984 of 4332 Old 04-09-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgordon View Post

Just picked up a PN64E7000 last night. Didn't even have time to open the box. This is my first plasma. I owned a sony lcd rear projector (Still running in basement play room) and an 37 inch LCD I am using in the room right now. I have been really torn with the whole LCD vs Plasma thing. Really hoping I am going to be happy with my choice. Biggest concerns are the whole bright room thing. Everything you read says LCD but I had more than one sales person say I wouldn't let that scare you away from plasma. But I am telling you its a very bright day light room. Then again I am not watching TV all day. I had both the panny and the samsung recommended as the best for bright room plasma from different salesmen.

The other thing is the whole IR burn in break in thing. That scares me big time. I will be watching on eggshells for first 200 hrs. Try explaining that issue to family too. Wife is not going to understand.
Not sure I am even going to mention it. Slides no slides watch don't watch. I only hope the soap opera channel has no bars. Because after all that's what it was bought for. At-least until football season.

On the plus side. I have always wanted a plasma ever since I saw the Elite on the wall next to sony lcd rear projection I bought a decade ago.
Also My wife actually picked it out. She liked the look of the bezel. I don't think she realized how big it was surrounded by all the others.
A big plus is price. Last of the leftover 2012 HDTV's. New in box too. Same cost as 2013 55 inch LED.
They had an e7000 on display on same wall opposite side of the new 64f8500.

Hopefully people will still be hanging around this thread and not the new f8500.
I am sure I will be looking for some advice.
First task after I un-box tonight is figuring out how high to mount it on the wall.
This will be my first wall mounted tv also.

I wouldn't be real scared I have a PN60E8000 my break in was I just watched full screen programming like cinemax or channels without static logo I have had mine for almost a year now and don't have any IR I WOULDN'T play any video games or hook up your computer to it till you get a good break in time done I think about 200 hours should do it just stay away from ESPN CNN Stuff like that while your breaking it in. But I wouldn't be so scared that you don't enjoy what a great set this is.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #3985 of 4332 Old 04-09-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

This Plasma is better with glare then the LG 55LM7600 LED TV. While the LED TVS are bright the screens are like mirrors. Sure then can cut through but don't be fooled the glare will still overtake the picture depending on how you room is.

With my Samsung Plasma the glare in the daytime kind of fades away in the background and not on top of the picture if that makes sense.

Anyway, after going through 7 LED TVs and not even interested in looking at a Plasma's when I started my TV hunt 2 months, my hunt has ended a week ago with the PN60E7000 and I could not be any happier. Don't be fooled by the bright picture of LEDs, they still have many uniformity issues and it is quite surprising they are even being sold to consumers with the terrible lighting issues that come with edge lit LEDs which most of them are right now. The Samsung Plasma makes you feel like you are in a theater watching a movie. LED TVs make you feel like you are at Disney watching something that has a ton of overly saturated and bright colors. Is there anything wrong with that, nope. For cartoons and animation it actually looks really good. Just have to decide what type of experience you want. There really is no right or wrong answer but this Samsung does have a truly awesome picture!
post #3986 of 4332 Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM

My pn60e7000 is in a family room with windows and skylights. Excellent daytime viewing. Plenty bright and glare is no worse than any other TV. I don't notice glare so it must be minimal
post #3987 of 4332 Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcdav View Post

When I chose the 16:9 option on the first line, the text on the second line looked like two options were drawn over each other, but then became readable as "pass through" with no options. In short, it is fixed. The Futurama fonts and all others are now excellent (but before looked very obviously jagged).

Thanks to Abalone, Atcdav, and everyone else that helped.

Edit - I figure I would add the menu details in case anyone goes googling for jagged, pixelated, fonts and picture in 1080i mode.

The box is from Comcast and is a Scientific Atlanta. You turn if off with the "Power" button on the remote, then press the "Guide" button on the remote while the TV is on.

TV TYPE 16:9
HDMI/YPbPr OUTPUT Pass Thru
4:3 OVERRIDE OFF

post #3988 of 4332 Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:

When I chose the 16:9 option on the first line, the text on the second line looked like two options were drawn over each other, but then became readable as "pass through" with no options. In short, it is fixed. The Futurama fonts and all others are now excellent (but before looked very obviously jagged).

Thanks to Abalone, Atcdav, and everyone else that helped.

Cool. Glad it's fixed. I'm amazed every day at how good this TV is.
post #3989 of 4332 Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM

Glad it worked. I have a Motorola box. My HDMI YPbPr output is native with choices of 480p, 720p, 1080i and native. I guess there are several boxes but all similar. I also havean HDMI setting of Color Space YCC 444 or RGB. Enjoy
post #3990 of 4332 Old 04-10-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I see on the back of the TV it shows the evolution kit but where exactly would it get plugged in to?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page