Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4051 of 4330 Old 04-15-2013, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PN51E8000. Can someone recommend picture settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4330 Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisda1 View Post

e8000 calibrates perfectly with contrast at 100
So keeping contrast on 100 isn't bad for a plasma?
post #4053 of 4330 Old 04-16-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The below was taken from another thread here about the EVO Kit. Looks like the e7000 is being left out with a lot of the upgrades the other TVs are getting. I can understand the motion stuff but I at least figured voice activation would be included. Makes it even more of a reason not to purchase the kit for the 7000 series. Why did they even bother adding this feature to the 7000 series then. Just to get a prettier online UI down the road.

I finally got news stracerte sull'Evolution kit that bode well. From the Samsung website (Lithuania) I discovered exactly that:

Sorry for the translation translated by Google (Chrome), but interesting things are the implementation of the codec HEVC and the "video enhancement" (improve video), of which so much is said in various forums foreigners.
Reference to this site
http://www.samsung.com/lt/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/tv-accessories/SEK-1000/XC-features
EDIT: PDPE7000 should correspond to the initials of the Plasma 7000 Series!

By changing the display of specific popping up and the grid appear other interesting specifications .... and then say that no vice!

H / W
"QuadCore Processor
DDR3 memory (1.5 GB)
4 GB Flash Memory
Fox-AP, Fox MP chipset
"MaliT604 500MHz Video Card
10/100 Mbps LAN support

Accessories
Smart Management (TM1360), batteries (AAA 2EA), thin cable, user's guide

Functions
Smart Interaction 2.0 Yes
Voice Control Yes (except PDPE7000) Yes
Motion Control Yes (except PDPE7000) Yes
Face Recognition Yes (except PDPE7000) Yes

Smart Content
Smart Hub 2013
There is voice control (except PDPE7000)
There is a motion control (except PDPE7000)
There are many other functions (except PDPE7000)
The sharing of content inner / outer
There is a "Smart View" (mobile TV)
There is a video enhancement (?)

Covergenza intelligent
AllShare (Content Sharing) - content sharing indoor / outdoor yes
AllShare (mirroring the screen) - Mobile TV No
Smart View (Mobile TV) yes
Image quality LCD HEVC codec yes
Web Content-Picture Enhancement yes

Dimensions
Dimensions (WxHxD, mm) 127 x 16 x 91

In essence there is between the functions of the Web video enhancement enhancement - ie the algorithm that enhances images but lacks the web mirroring between devices and the Samsung Tv
Nothing is known about the precise dimming of the improvements, but I think we can hope ....ReplyQuote Multi 0
i 0
post #4054 of 4330 Old 04-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Logic Fail...

People who bought the 7000 series TVs, bought them because they didn't think those features were worth the extra money. No you expect Samsung to perform magic and add in those features that the consumer skipped on in the first place with an upgrade kit for $300?
post #4055 of 4330 Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theos2 View Post

Logic Fail...

People who bought the 7000 series TVs, bought them because they didn't think those features were worth the extra money. No you expect Samsung to perform magic and add in those features that the consumer skipped on in the first place with an upgrade kit for $300?
I would think at least voice activation would be added. That isn't even a premium feature. Their 2013 mid tier plasma has this feature so it is not like you have to buy top of the line to get it.

Now, still looking for opinions on one of my last questions. What are people setting their contrast level on? Calibrations say 95-100 but in other threads people say that is way to high on a plasma. So where do you guys set it at?
post #4056 of 4330 Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

What are people setting their contrast level on? Calibrations say 95-100 but in other threads people say that is way to high on a plasma. So where do you guys set it at?

Mine's on 89, just because that level works well in my relatively dark room. I'd set it for what looks best to you unless you find some reliable documentation that there's likely harm at high settings.

Re: the Evo kit on the 7000, unless there's some significant PQ improvement I have no interest. I don't think Samsung deserves criticism for not giving away features you want that weren't included in the TV originally. It's not like they promised to make 7000=8000. Which other TV even has a HW upgrade option?
post #4057 of 4330 Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I would think at least voice activation would be added. That isn't even a premium feature. Their 2013 mid tier plasma has this feature so it is not like you have to buy top of the line to get it.

Did you expect them to build in a mic to the evo kit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4058 of 4330 Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:

Now, still looking for opinions on one of my last questions. What are people setting their contrast level on? Calibrations say 95-100 but in other threads people say that is way to high on a plasma. So where do you guys set it at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerFlakes View Post

This ^^^^

In order for voice control you would need the mic, which the E7000 does not have
For the motion control you would need the built in camera, which again the E7000 does not have.

They cant magically add features that the set doesnt come with. Now if you were to say they could have added motion control, then maybe you ahve something, BUT there may be other pieces to that function taht the E700 lacks even if it did have a camera added to it post buy......

Set the plasma on the setting that you like and what looks best to you....Some have it at 100 some have it at 95 you will NEVER get a straaight answer on almsot any setting as everyone has different tastes as well as used different tools\software to get where they are now.
post #4059 of 4330 Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This ^^^^

In order for voice control you would need the mic, which the E7000 does not have
For the motion control you would need the built in camera, which again the E7000 does not have.

They cant magically add features that the set doesnt come with. Now if you were to say they could have added motion control, then maybe you ahve something, BUT there may be other pieces to that function taht the E700 lacks even if it did have a camera added to it post buy......

Set the plasma on the setting that you like and what looks best to you....Some have it at 100 some have it at 95 you will NEVER get a straaight answer on almsot any setting as everyone has different tastes as well as used different tools\software to get where they are now.
I was asking as more of an issue with burn in having it in the 90's but it looks like from what I have seen so far most calibrations have it in the 90's.

For the mic input I had thought it would have been in the actual remote control and then feed the info to the TV which could of had something in the kit. I didn't think the Mic was built into the actual TV.

It would be cool if you could use the motion features with the camera add on but that looks to be a no as well. They should make a separate evo kit for the 7000 and make it cheaper since you won't be able to use any of the extra features anyway!
post #4060 of 4330 Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was asking as more of an issue with burn in having it in the 90's but it looks like from what I have seen so far most calibrations have it in the 90's.

For the mic input I had thought it would have been in the actual remote control and then feed the info to the TV which could of had something in the kit. I didn't think the Mic was built into the actual TV.

It would be cool if you could use the motion features with the camera add on but that looks to be a no as well. They should make a separate evo kit for the 7000 and make it cheaper since you won't be able to use any of the extra features anyway!

Of course you are also grabbing information from an EU site, so things may be different for the NA market. Although I would not expect you to get features that the higher model has. Until it gets released and reviewed Id hold off as it may nto be worth it to you. For some however they may like the upgrades would only be "in place" upgrades ( ie upgrading features currently on your set not adding ones that were not there)...

As far as burn in goes youd be more worried about IR wink.gif burn in rarely happens unless you leave something static for a very very very long time.
post #4061 of 4330 Old 04-16-2013, 03:14 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHJr View Post

I have had the PN51E7000 since Nov and haven't had any issue with it until maybe the last month I've noticed that sometimes when I first turn it on after the picture comes up I cannot change channels, adjust volume, change inputs, etc. Basically it is acting like it freezes up (although the picture is fine). This may last like 10 -20 secs and then the tv turns itself off and back on by itself and then functions normally. Kind of wondering if anyone else is having an issue similar to this or if I have the start of something going bad? Not sure if a recent firmware update may have started this issue?

Also, I just noticed recently on a certain scene from Breaking Bad watching from Netflix that the tv screen acted like it was turning off and on. It was a very dark scene that just had cigarette smoke scrolling across the picture for about 10 seconds. Maybe I have a setting I need to change as I thought I read in earlier posts about other people having issues that seemed similar?

Thanks,
Ken
The off/on issue sounds similar to an issue I had with a samsung DLP and it was my power supply going bad. The other symptom sounds like what the other poster said, screen shuts off during very dark scenes unless u tweak the brightness. There are other posts fir that issue stating the minimum brightness to avoid it.
post #4062 of 4330 Old 04-16-2013, 03:19 PM

Liked: 13
I t
Quote:

The below was taken from another thread here about the EVO Kit. Looks like the e7000 is being left out with a lot of the upgrades the other TVs are getting. I can understand the motion stuff but I at least figured voice activation would be included. Makes it even more of a reason not to purchase the kit for the 7000 series. Why did they even bother adding this feature to the 7000 series then. Just to get a prettier online UI down the road.

I finally got news stracerte sull'Evolution kit that bode well. From the Samsung website (Lithuania) I discovered exactly that:

Sorry for the translation translated by Google (Chrome), but interesting things are the implementation of the codec HEVC and the "video enhancement" (improve video), of which so much is said in various forums foreigners.
Reference to this site
http://www.samsung.com/lt/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/tv-accessories/SEK-1000/XC-features

By changing the display of specific popping up and the grid appear other interesting specifications .... and then say that no vice!

H / W
"QuadCore Processor
DDR3 memory (1.5 GB)
4 GB Flash Memory
Fox-AP, Fox MP chipset
10/100 Mbps LAN support

Accessories

Functions

Smart Content
Smart Hub 2013

Covergenza intelligent

Dimensions

In essence there is between the functions of the Web video enhancement enhancement - ie the algorithm that enhances images but lacks the web mirroring between devices and the Samsung Tv
Nothing is known about the precise dimming of the improvements, but I think we can hope ....ReplyQuote Multi 0
i 0
i think only the e7000 and e8000 have an EVO slot so it looks like it is improving existing features not adding features. What model would u infer is getting voice and motion added via EVO?
post #4063 of 4330 Old 04-17-2013, 06:32 AM

Hi guys, just wanted to chime in and introduce myself as a proud new owner of a PN60E8000. I took delivery of it last Friday, and I did run slides from about 1am Sat(ie Fri night) until around 8pm Mon when I broke down and watched a few things, then ran the slides again until last night. I am not messing with the slides anymore and I think I may give it a run with gaming tonight to see how that works. From what I have seen here I should switch the TV to game mode for best results and not worry about the setting being "properly calibrated" on that setting? I would also note that I run everything through an AV receiver and only use one HDMI input on the TV itself. With that said I should just manually switch to game mode when playing a game and turn it off after correct? If so I think I may have to set up a button/macro on my harmony to make that easy.

Thanks for any answers here guys, sorry for all the questions. This is my first plasma though and I don't want to do something stupid and manage to screw it up.

So far though I am loving the picture, the 3D flick I watched did cause eye fatigue, but I am chalking that up to the disc(Imax Deep Sea) not the TV. This thing looks soo much nicer than my old LG LCD set it isn't funny and I am happy I made the plunge. smile.gif
post #4064 of 4330 Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerFlakes View Post

This ^^^^

Why can't they build the mic into the pac? Have you seen the size of a mic on a tablet? Have you seen the size of the smallest PCs lately?

post #4065 of 4330 Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Why can't they build the mic into the pac? Have you seen the size of a mic on a tablet? Have you seen the size of the smallest PCs lately?

Well jsut thinking of reasons off the top of my head...

The pack is on the back of the TV and in a poor placement to pick up any commands reliably
There may be more hardware internally that is related to the Mic that is needed than just "adding the Mic" to get those functions....
By choosing the E7000 the customer decided that those features were not important, so they spent less NOT to get them. If you wanted the Mic and integrated camera you would have bought the E8000
The size has nothing to do with it

This is akin to someone buying a 2012 car with Navigation, then in 2013 a new interface comes out...A person goes to get their Navigation upgraded are they going to get the new interface, no all they will get is a "map pack" and bug fixes....
post #4066 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 04:20 AM

Quote:

Let's be honest. Controlling a TV by voice is going to suck anyway. You've got the sound on the TV competing with your voice, adding confusion. I have trouble with Siri even when the room is silent.

Also, having it for your TV is useless when you have other components. When I hit pause on my universal remote, the signal goes to my TiVo or my PS3. When I change the volume or input, it goes to my amp. I think my TV gets two signals on an average night...on and off.

I've never read or seen a review on a high end home theater with voice recognition. The tech just isn't here yet. Maybe it will be in a few years. Who knows, but you aren't missing anything now. No matter how good it gets, people will always look stupid talking to a TV.

It's a gimmick. Don't get hung up on the fact that you don't have it. Enjoy your TV.
post #4067 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

Let's be honest. Controlling a TV by voice is going to suck anyway. You've got the sound on the TV competing with your voice, adding confusion. I have trouble with Siri even when the room is silent.

Also, having it for your TV is useless when you have other components. When I hit pause on my universal remote, the signal goes to my TiVo or my PS3. When I change the volume or input, it goes to my amp. I think my TV gets two signals on an average night...on and off.

I've never read or seen a review on a high end home theater with voice recognition. The tech just isn't here yet. Maybe it will be in a few years. Who knows, but you aren't missing anything now. No matter how good it gets, people will always look stupid talking to a TV.

It's a gimmick. Don't get hung up on the fact that you don't have it. Enjoy your TV.
Where your first mistake is comparing it to your iPhone and Siri. Of course you think it is more of a gimmick and something that does not work. If you had the actual working device that Apple was trying to copy which is Android you would actually know that voice recognition does indeed work well. Voice recogniotion on Android devices are top notch and actually get you the info that you want with a high level of understanding. Siri on the otherhand seems like it was more designed for people to think it is cool and can have a converstaion with you and just fails at everything.

As far as looking stupid talking to your TV, who cares in the comfort of your own home. If you haven't done anything stupidier then that in front of your family you really need to live life a little more. lol

Anyway, Best Buy was suppose to be swapping my panel out on my e7000 today but they are not able to get the part within their 14 day timeframe so instead they will be swapping the TV out for a Panasonic 60GT50 next week since they did not have any new e7000's in stock anymore.

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the e7000 which I thought had an unbelievble picture. I have been reading some comparisons between the 2 and it seems like there really is no solid winner of these 2 sets but comes more down to preference. I really did like everything about the e7000 though and would highly reccomend this TV if anyone can find a good deal on one.
post #4068 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where your first mistake is comparing it to your iPhone and Siri. Of course you think it is more of a gimmick and something that does not work. If you had the actual working device that Apple was trying to copy which is Android you would actually know that voice recognition does indeed work well. Voice recogniotion on Android devices are top notch and actually get you the info that you want with a high level of understanding. Siri on the otherhand seems like it was more designed for people to think it is cool and can have a converstaion with you and just fails at everything.

As far as looking stupid talking to your TV, who cares in the comfort of your own home. If you haven't done anything stupidier then that in front of your family you really need to live life a little more. lol

Anyway, Best Buy was suppose to be swapping my panel out on my e7000 today but they are not able to get the part within their 14 day timeframe so instead they will be swapping the TV out for a Panasonic 60GT50 next week since they did not have any new e7000's in stock anymore.

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the e7000 which I thought had an unbelievble picture. I have been reading some comparisons between the 2 and it seems like there really is no solid winner of these 2 sets but comes more down to preference. I really did like everything about the e7000 though and would highly reccomend this TV if anyone can find a good deal on one.

They didnt give you a choice of the ST60? persoanlly I woulld ahve taken the ST60 over the Gt50....
post #4069 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They didnt give you choice of the ST60? persoanlly I woulld ahve taken the ST60 over the Gt50....
As I mentioned in another thread I wasn't really in the position to push my luck on anything. I ended up paying $989 for a new in box 60GT50. I obviously jumped on it. Originally when I went in the manager I dealt with wasn't there and the store wasn't willing to do anything for me. Said they will just refund all my money which would not have covered anything since I got a great deal on the e7000. Went back the next day when the manager was there and he apologized for his team the night before and said he would do the GT50.

If they ST60 would have actually been on the floor and he knew about it it probably would have not been a problem. But like I said, I really wasn't in a position to say much plus really didn't know enough about the ST60 to really say for sure if I wanted it. Now after getting offered the Panny GT50 and researching Panasonic's for the last few days I would have taken the ST60 most likely over the GT50. But am I really in a position to complain? lol

I will say the manger at the store has been amazing and is the only reason I will continue to shop there.
post #4070 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

Quote:

Oh I completely agree. I don't own the Sammy but I feel for those who bought an E7000 because they were attracted to the possibility of future proofing their investment through the Evolution Kit. The darn 2013 pac costs $299 and from what I've seen so far, offers nothing that would justify the purchase for an E7000 owner. But hey, I had a feeling it was going to go down that way from the beginning.

Another thing I don't understand though is if all it offers is an updated interface, why do they need a box on the back of the tv to do that? I don't believe that they do for the top two models, at least not for 2013. Maybe in the coming years they could include a new and faster processor, but this year it seems like the device is nothing more than a glorified version of a cable box which verifies the user and the user's eligible services.

post #4071 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh I completely agree. I don't own the Sammy but I feel for those who bought an E7000 because they were attracted to the possibility of future proofing their investment through the Evolution Kit. The darn 2013 pac costs $299 and from what I've seen so far, offers nothing that would justify the purchase for an E7000 owner. But hey, I had a feeling it was going to go down that way from the beginning.

Another thing I don't understand though is if all it offers is an updated interface, why do they need a box on the back of the tv to do that? I don't believe that they do for the top two models, at least not for 2013. Maybe in the coming years they could include a new and faster processor, but this year it seems like the device is nothing more than a glorified version of a cable box which verifies the user and the user's eligible services.

Its not only the interface.....
They upgrade the set to a Quad Core CPU as well as the Graphics engine\card as well as the memory etc.....If it was "just the interface" then the box probably wouldnt be needed.....
post #4072 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Its not only the interface.....
They upgrade the set to a Quad Core CPU as well as the Graphics engine\card as well as the memory etc.....If it was "just the interface" then the box probably wouldnt be needed.....

Okay, I hadn't read anything about the quad core. I've also read that somethings are available for the E8000 but not the 7000. I tried to find some reliable information about it but couldn't locate anything detailed. Do you have a source?

post #4073 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, I hadn't read anything about the quad core. I've also read that somethings are available for the E8000 but not the 7000. I tried to find some reliable information about it but couldn't locate anything detailed. Do you have a source?

The source was a handful of posts ago wink.gif not sure how many posts per page you have so it may be on a pervious page, for me its ont he same page......

The differences we are seeing as that the E8000 had a built in Mic and Camera so those features are getting upgraded. eric thought that the E7000 should get some of those features (ala mic intervace etc).....What we were trying to explain is that it may not be as simple as just adding an EVO kit, on top of the fact that people who bought the E7000 bought them knowing that they didnt have these features so they shouldnt expect to get them in a future upgrade.....

The only thing that is "off" with the previous information is that its from an EU site, so it may not translate into what happens in the NA market.......What was listed though I dont think owners should ahve a problem with, of course most of the software upgrade outside of the new interface go to the E8000 it had more features to begin with wink.gif
post #4074 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Right.

post #4075 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

just fyi, i bought the e7000 specifically because i did not want the voice etc. ever. did not want that function nor did i want to pay for that function... i did not expect anything in future upgrades would add that feature. so there are those of us out here who didn't expect what you are assuming wink.gif
sheshechic likes this.

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #4076 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post

Quote:

just fyi, i bought the e7000 specifically because i did not want the voice etc. ever. did not want that function nor did i want to pay for that function... i did not expect anything in future upgrades would add that feature. so there are those of us out here who didn't expect what you are assuming wink.gif

Your assumptions are wrong. Obviously you don't fit. I never indicated that every e7000 buyer wanted/expected to talk to their tvs, nor to wave at them either. wink.gif

post #4077 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Your assumptions are wrong. Obviously you don't fit. I never indicated that every e7000 buyer wanted/expected to talk to their tvs, nor to wave at them either. wink.gif

oh i see now.... key words 'for those who' !!!
sheshechic likes this.

Samsung PN51F8500. Marantz SR5008. Oppo BDP 103D. Sony BDP S5100. Emp Tek E55TIB LR, E5CIB, E55WIB. Sennheiser Momentum. Sennheiser 598.
post #4078 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 11:34 AM

post #4079 of 4330 Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy808 View Post

I thought CNET's settings looked really good. I did change one thing though on their settings that I liked better. They had the color set to Warm 2 and I changed it to Warm 1. It punched the color up a little bit.
post #4080 of 4330 Old 04-20-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Reference to this site

H / W
"QuadCore Processor
DDR3 memory (1.5 GB)
4 GB Flash Memory
Fox-AP, Fox MP chipset
10/100 Mbps LAN support

Accessories

Functions

Smart Content
Smart Hub 2013

Covergenza intelligent

Dimensions

i 0
o

I dont see any mention of it but I would be the first in line if the evo kit added an extra HDMI port. This non-3D receiver is killing me right now smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page