Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread - Page 146 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4351 of 4363 Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post
I'm using firmware 1057 and my television has been freezing up in the SmartHub or just randomly shutting off and on a lot recently. This television has never had as many issues as it is having right now before.

Has this firmware screwed up anyone else's television?

My 64e8000 has had issues with Smart Hub as well lately (will check firmware after work today).
Constantly updating itself (incredibly slowly!) and turning set off etc... real pain in the butt when you want to use an App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4352 of 4363 Old 03-19-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 27
so who has used the SEK 2000/2500 or any evolution kit with this tv and was it worth it?

Upgraded PQ?
Anything worthwhile upgrades to the 'Smart' features?
post #4353 of 4363 Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post
so who has used the SEK 2000/2500 or any evolution kit with this tv and was it worth it?

Upgraded PQ?
Wish I knew apart from the fancier front end for the smarthub
post #4354 of 4363 Old 04-07-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post

Upgraded PQ?
I installed a SEK-1000 Evo Kit on a 51E7000 plasma. Nice upgrade to the Smart Hub, and changed the menu interface to the 2013 version which is better. But no changes in pic quality that I could tell.
post #4355 of 4363 Old 04-28-2015, 01:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
No Display Issue Here, do you think it is Y-Sustain or Power Supply Board

Hello, 1st time poster.

Owner of a 2012 Samsung PN64E7000 - this weekend the display stop working.

On Saturday after a full day of television viewing, the display turned off - sound continued through AVR surround speakers. I fiddled with the remotes for a few minutes then miraculously the TV came back on and I figured it was an AVR issue. Same night after getting the kids to bed I turn on television and after 20 minutes display shuts off, sound through AVR still on. I fiddle with remote, cannot get it to work, so I go to bed. Following morning, turn on television, it last for about 10 minutes then display shuts off, same scenario. I begin to fiddle with remote and this time upon turning power off/on - I immediately hear a loud pop and fizz. No smoke smell. Television has power cycle "clicking" noise and I can see the red LED indicator in bottom left of television screen/bezel flashing on start up and solid red on shut down/stand-by. I then removed the TV from the wall and placed it on the stand.

I SHOULD have checked if the TV has sound and no display isolated from all the AVR components, but have not done so at this time to diagnose a Y-Sustain vs Power Supply board issue, will have to follow-up on this.

My initial research led me to believe that the Y-Sustain board had failed and I ordered a refurb board sent to my house. Now I'm wondering if it's a power supply board issue. Problem is, I cannot find parts anywhere, my search the Y-Sustain only located a handful of refurbs. And the power supply board search only brings up repair shops that will work on my defective board upon mail in, cannot find the spare part anywhere.

SAMSUNG ECR has denied me twice (Sunday and Tuesday) refusing any service exceptions, both times I've stressed the cost of the television and brand-loyalty concerns. Both reps said they had nothing on record as far as issues with this television and denied me.

Also, the wifi stopped working about a year ago - but it was a feature I never used so I never pursued any repair - foolish me. Does anyone have a link to the replacement part or instructions if I seek to replace this hardware as well?

This post again is asking for any suggestions as to the root problem and to document that Samsung is not helping with what appears to be a rising problem with this particular model TV.

Last edited by lawstudent; 04-28-2015 at 01:10 PM.
post #4356 of 4363 Old 04-29-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawstudent View Post
I SHOULD have checked if the TV has sound and no display isolated from all the AVR components, but have not done so at this time to diagnose a Y-Sustain vs Power Supply board issue, will have to follow-up on this.
Just a follow-up, I isolated the TV testing for sound and no display, and found that I could not get any audio. This led me to pull the power supply board off and behold I find a scorch mark on the back of the board and transfer to the backside of the television frame, black scorch mark the size of a quarter. I never did smell the smoke when I heard the initial pop.

So now I am looking into repair/exchange service on the power supply board - cannot source a new replacement anywhere.
post #4357 of 4363 Old 05-04-2015, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Just a follow-up, I isolated the TV testing for sound and no display, and found that I could not get any audio. This led me to pull the power supply board off and behold I find a scorch mark on the back of the board and transfer to the backside of the television frame, black scorch mark the size of a quarter. I never did smell the smoke when I heard the initial pop.

So now I am looking into repair/exchange service on the power supply board - cannot source a new replacement anywhere.
My power supply just went out too, or so I suspect. People further up in this thread have mentioned tvparts4less, but the one guy who went there said he got another PSU that was itself faulty (or another fault in his TV caused the new PSU to short). I've seen several listings on eBay where you send in your faulty board and they diagnose whether they can fix it and, if so, fix it and send it back to you. If they can't fix it, you only pay for shipping. Has anyone tried that method?
post #4358 of 4363 Old 05-04-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post
My power supply just went out too, or so I suspect. People further up in this thread have mentioned tvparts4less, but the one guy who went there said he got another PSU that was itself faulty (or another fault in his TV caused the new PSU to short). I've seen several listings on eBay where you send in your faulty board and they diagnose whether they can fix it and, if so, fix it and send it back to you. If they can't fix it, you only pay for shipping. Has anyone tried that method?

Well, I actually just got home last night and installed my refurb power supply from TVPARTS4LESS - funny you should mention them - and my TV is working again.

I called TVPARTS4LESS in San Antonio TX and the same guy answered the phone twice and was easy to speak with and checked inventory for me, had 2 available to ship instant and had another 4 awaiting inspection. I went ahead and ordered, received board in good packaged container, upon removal it did have an odor of "burnt electronics" and I believe I can see the location of the repair as the back side has a large glob of "electronics glue" on it to a specific place.

Time will tell how long this board lasts. Funny thing is, my wifi went out about a year ago and it never bothered me as I never used smart features on the TV but every now and then I would think to update firmware only to be reminded the wifi would not connect. Now thinking to replace this part and I see people complaining that it went from revision A, to B, to C and to have claimed that a faulty wifi module was causing power switching. SOB - if this thing caused a PSU failure over time, then I really want to kick Samsung's rear for giving me the cold shoulder on warranty service.

Anyways, I considered the ebay services to repair send in, called a couple of them, and I'm even located in So. Cal and 2 were within an hours drive, but still decided on TVPARTS4LESS because they have a stronger online presence, appeared to have more inventory (as far as 90 day warranty goes) and had a board ready to ship out where as the repair service could not guarantee fixing my failed board which had a visible scorch and burn mark rear-side.

I just ordered a wifi module B today as well. What a money suck, hoping a firmware update doesn't brick my TV as others have complained as well when I get this all put together. GOOD GRIEF

Anybody want to give me reassurance that a firmware update is OK TO DO - I see people complaining about slowed smart hub and pop-up advertising. This all gives me pause.
post #4359 of 4363 Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Well, I actually just got home last night and installed my refurb power supply from TVPARTS4LESS - funny you should mention them - and my TV is working again.

I called TVPARTS4LESS in San Antonio TX and the same guy answered the phone twice and was easy to speak with and checked inventory for me, had 2 available to ship instant and had another 4 awaiting inspection. I went ahead and ordered, received board in good packaged container, upon removal it did have an odor of "burnt electronics" and I believe I can see the location of the repair as the back side has a large glob of "electronics glue" on it to a specific place.

Time will tell how long this board lasts. Funny thing is, my wifi went out about a year ago and it never bothered me as I never used smart features on the TV but every now and then I would think to update firmware only to be reminded the wifi would not connect. Now thinking to replace this part and I see people complaining that it went from revision A, to B, to C and to have claimed that a faulty wifi module was causing power switching. SOB - if this thing caused a PSU failure over time, then I really want to kick Samsung's rear for giving me the cold shoulder on warranty service.

Anyways, I considered the ebay services to repair send in, called a couple of them, and I'm even located in So. Cal and 2 were within an hours drive, but still decided on TVPARTS4LESS because they have a stronger online presence, appeared to have more inventory (as far as 90 day warranty goes) and had a board ready to ship out where as the repair service could not guarantee fixing my failed board which had a visible scorch and burn mark rear-side.

I just ordered a wifi module B today as well. What a money suck, hoping a firmware update doesn't brick my TV as others have complained as well when I get this all put together. GOOD GRIEF

Anybody want to give me reassurance that a firmware update is OK TO DO - I see people complaining about slowed smart hub and pop-up advertising. This all gives me pause.
Thank you for the detailed response. Do you happen to have the part number for the power supply for your PN64E7000? I haven't had an opportunity to dis-mount the TV from the wall and remove the power supply, and, based on my conversation with a representative from TVPARTS4LESS, I need the part number if I want to order the power supply. With your help, I was hoping to order the part before going through the effort of removing the TV.

Also, can the backplate of the TV be removed from an upright position? I was hoping to put the TV on its stand and repair it while it was upright. But, I don't know if that's feasible. Are there any other hiccups or roadblocks you encountered during the repair that might be helpful to know up front?

Last edited by liquidsense; Yesterday at 08:30 AM.
post #4360 of 4363 Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed response. Do you happen to have the part number for the power supply for your PN64E7000? I haven't had an opportunity to dis-mount the TV from the wall and remove the power supply, and, based on my conversation with a representative from TVPARTS4LESS, I need the part number if I want to order the power supply. With your help, I was hoping to order the part before going through the effort of removing the TV.

Also, can the backplate of the TV be removed from an upright position? I was hoping to put the TV on its stand and repair it while it was upright. But, I don't know if that's feasible. Are there any other hiccups or roadblocks you encountered during the repair that might be helpful to know up front?

I have an PN64E7000, my part number is Samsung BN44-00516A
This should work for PN64E8000 too - but I'm not positive.

FIRST, you should take your TV off the wall and return it to the stand (which is what I did) and remove the back panel (about 20 screws) and then remove you power supply to check for visible damage. You have to mail your power supply to TVPARTS4LESS prior to them shipping out new parts because it is an exchange service. You can easily work on the TV while mounted on the stand, its very straight forward - only helpful advice unplug TV and wait several minutes prior to working on it to allow any possible electricity to discharge from capacitors, apparently these plasma run on very high voltage and there is a possibility of shock if you touch the wrong area while still plugged-in/charged.
post #4361 of 4363 Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I have an PN64E7000, my part number is Samsung BN44-00516A
This should work for PN64E8000 too - but I'm not positive.

FIRST, you should take your TV off the wall and return it to the stand (which is what I did) and remove the back panel (about 20 screws) and then remove you power supply to check for visible damage. You have to mail your power supply to TVPARTS4LESS prior to them shipping out new parts because it is an exchange service. You can easily work on the TV while mounted on the stand, its very straight forward - only helpful advice unplug TV and wait several minutes prior to working on it to allow any possible electricity to discharge from capacitors, apparently these plasma run on very high voltage and there is a possibility of shock if you touch the wrong area while still plugged-in/charged.
Ah. I didn't realize that TVPARTS4LESS required you to ship out your old part first. Final question: Did you have to remove the wall-mounting hardware from the TV to remove the backplate? I assume the hardware screws into the frame itself, and not just the backplate, right?
post #4362 of 4363 Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Ah. I didn't realize that TVPARTS4LESS required you to ship out your old part first. Final question: Did you have to remove the wall-mounting hardware from the TV to remove the backplate? I assume the hardware screws into the frame itself, and not just the backplate, right?

Correct, wall mounting hardware all comes off (just another 4 screws for me on the pillar arms that attached to my low profile mount) - There are many screws so don't loose them, have Ziploc bags ready - and know at the bottom of the back plate there are four or six screws that are threaded differently than the other 16 or so screws around the perimeter and center body, so remember where you pulled them from when installing. Its very straight forward.
liquidsense likes this.
post #4363 of 4363 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

In case people land here to find out more about replacing the PSU, I'll include my pictures below. Like @lawstudent , I had a burn mark on the back of my PSU and a nasty scorch mark and smoke marks on the panel behind it.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread