Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 4330 Old 03-20-2012, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So far from what ive read in these posts,the new models arent that much of a hype over last years models.I was going to upgrade my PN64D8000 to the E8000 at no charge by Samsung(long story) IF,thats a big IF there was a substantial difference in PQ,but doesnt seem to be the case.But then again,it may be too early to jump to that conclusion,or isnt it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4330 Old 03-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroptop View Post

So far from what ive read in these posts,the new models arent that much of a hype over last years models.I was going to upgrade my PN64D8000 to the E8000 IF,thats a big IF there was a substantial difference in PQ,but doesnt seem to be the case.But then again,it may be too early to jump to that conclusion,or isnt it?

There isn't one. I stood in front of both today, and I didn't see any huge benefit. The measured black level in the E8000 is supposed to be better, but I strained to see a difference. That said, neither of these sets were calibrated. But given that the color accuracy was spot-on last year, I tried hard to see a difference in brightness. Both had the cell light set to 20. I couldn't see any difference whatsoever.

Also, in my opinion, the new gadgets seem half baked. Like I stated earlier, the new touch remote is worthless. The camera is also not great. Didn't get the chance to use the voice controls, but from what I read they're sluggish and inaccurate. I think it'll be a year or two for these new features to mature, if they aren't removed altogether.

Keep the D8000. There seems to be zero reason to upgrade this year. Save up for your first OLED .

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plasma IR Removal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -
-

post #33 of 4330 Old 03-20-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

PNxxE8000/7000 owners: do either of these models have the Samsung expansion/upgrade slot that appears in the UNxxES8000 television?

Yes, the E8000 has the upgrand or expansion slot, as well as the E7000 . Not sure about the E6500.

god bless

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #34 of 4330 Old 03-20-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Guy's, not sure about your store experience but I have the PN60E8000, and the camera works fantastic. Also, the voice control works flawlessly. The motion control takes a bit to get used to but it is also working fine. I can tell you that I did a side by side here at home with the D8000 and BIG DIFFERENCE in pq. The PN60E8000 is super clear and very crisp. The D8000 was great but this is alot better especially for clarity. The 3d is also exceptional with NO DISTORTION OR GHOSTING at all. I put in Avatar 3d , Alice in wonderland, Tangled 3d, and Imax under the sea and they were all incredible. The camera works great for skype as I have tried it. Also the remote works fine for me, no problems at all with the touch pad. I hear no buzzing from my set , even when it is very quiet. I have not noticed any judder, now having said that I probably will as I am very sensitive to it. lol. I can not really explain how great the 3d is , brightness is improved , but the pure realism of it is great, no xtalk, no ghosting, just realism that you really need to see. Maybe it was the store set up or something else but I can tell you as an owner these features work fine. I am getting another 64 inch tv for our living room and the only tv I think would even be a consideration for me other then the PN64E8000 would be the Panasonic 65VT50. Every one knows in store results of tv viewing or feature trials is poor due to many reasons. I whole heartedly recommend this tv , with no reservations. ENJOY. D-nice will be doing my calibrations after I get my 64/65 incher and have run the slides for 150 hours.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #35 of 4330 Old 03-20-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post

Guy's, not sure about your store experience but I have the PN60E8000, and the camera works fantastic. Also, the voice control works flawlessly. The motion control takes a bit to get used to but it is also working fine. I can tell you that I did a side by side here at home with the D8000 and BIG DIFFERENCE in pq. The PN60E8000 is super clear and very crisp. The D8000 was great but this is alot better especially for clarity. The 3d is also exceptional with NO DISTORTION OR GHOSTING at all. I put in Avatar 3d , Alice in wonderland, Tangled 3d, and Imax under the sea and they were all incredible. The camera works great for skype as I have tried it. Also the remote works fine for me, no problems at all with the touch pad. I hear no buzzing from my set , even when it is very quiet. I have not noticed any judder, now having said that I probably will as I am very sensitive to it. lol. I can not really explain how great the 3d is , brightness is improved , but the pure realism of it is great, no xtalk, no ghosting, just realism that you really need to see. Maybe it was the store set up or something else but I can tell you as an owner these features work fine. I am getting another 64 inch tv for our living room and the only tv I think would even be a consideration for me other then the PN64E8000 would be the Panasonic 65VT50. Every one knows in store results of tv viewing or feature trials is poor due to many reasons. I whole heartedly recommend this tv , with no reservations. ENJOY. D-nice will be doing my calibrations after I get my 64/65 incher and have run the slides for 150 hours.

god bless

Now THATS what I wanted to hear,a side by side comparison at home,glad you commented,Ill wait for a few more comments on others who purchased the new models.
post #36 of 4330 Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroptop View Post

So far from what ive read in these posts,the new models arent that much of a hype over last years models.I was going to upgrade my PN64D8000 to the E8000 at no charge by Samsung(long story) IF,thats a big IF there was a substantial difference in PQ,but doesnt seem to be the case.But then again,it may be too early to jump to that conclusion,or isnt it?

If you can upgrade I strongly suggest it. Not only is it better pq, the expansion pack will (should) be priceless come next year. It will be able to upgrade not only software but hardware as well. The web browser on this tv is as fast as my Dell 15R laptop. I don't know exactly why people are having trouble in the stores with the new features but they work fine here at home, maybe some settings, or not knowing how to PROPERLY use them. The motion control is alittle weird as you need to make the correct motions , and lighting can not be super bright (like in a store) or too dim. I really don't care much for the motion control but the voice control is great, no more looking for the darn remote !!!! ENJOY.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #37 of 4330 Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 780
The title for this thread no longer refers to the "E" designation....seems to have changed with the addition of the 6500.

post #38 of 4330 Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The title for this thread no longer refers to the "E" designation....seems to have changed with the addition of the 6500.

SORRY, I needed Mr. Lang to fix the title. This is for the 7000 and 8000 E series

tonyjd40
post #39 of 4330 Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM

Liked: 10
I keep thinking about that 'upgrade' slot -- What if it's not meant for upgrading the hardware on the consumer end, but maybe instead for repairing non-panel related issues by sending you new 'guts' ?
post #40 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Interested to see reviews on this, but a same so far it sounds like it isn't much of a upgrade. Was debating between this and the VT50. I'll probably stick with the VT50
post #41 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got a few questions for the owners:

1. BUZZING. Do you have it? Can you hear it?

2. Dithering. How is the dithering, especially in accelerated pixel refresh (3D and CinemaSmooth) modes? There was a lot of dithering in 2011 in the accelerated pixel refresh modes. This is super easy to see, just watch any 3D Blu-ray with 3D turned off, and then turn 3D on. You should easily see a sudden appearance of a moving grain effect over the image, this is the dithering in action.

3. Black level when CinemaSmooth is engaged. Is that fixed this year? In 2011, when you used CinemaSmooth, black levels increased a lot because of the need to refresh the phosphors faster. This is easy to see too, just playback any Blu-ray movie which has the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and therefore black bars. Turn CinemaSmooth off, and play it, then leave it running and turn CinemaSmooth on. Do the black bars get lighter when you do this?

4. Input lag. The 2011 models had great input lag, around ~33 ms (2 frames). Is this unchanged in 2012? (It really should be.) Check the input lag wars sticky thread over on the LCD side if you don't know how to measure input lag on a TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namssorg View Post

I keep thinking about that 'upgrade' slot -- What if it's not meant for upgrading the hardware on the consumer end, but maybe instead for repairing non-panel related issues by sending you new 'guts' ?

Nobody knows what the "Smart Evolution" expansion slot is for yet. I actually wonder if Samsung even knows what it's for yet. It might end up useful like the Nintendo 64 expansion slot, or it might end up useless like the GameCube expansion slot. There's a reason why most companies don't put expansion slots on consumer electronics, the odds of them ever being useful are bad and it costs money to put these slots in the devices.
post #42 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

OK, the expansion slot is for software and hardware upgrades. Say if next year samsung goes with a quad core chip, well the expansion upgrade will include this to upgrade your tv. I think the expansion slot was an incredible idea and its true value will be seen when the 2013 come out and a simple upgrade will be almost as good as getting a new set at a fraction of the cost. As far as why no one else did this - well look at voice control panasonic did not include this but there was an article that they were considering an add on later in this year for their tv's to have this ability, maybe they just didn't think of it or did not see the market for it either way I would be willing to bet in 2013 more manufacturers will be doing this. As for dithering, there is just the slightest and you need to be very close to the tv and looking for it to even notice it. There is no problems with cinema smooth this year as the black bars stay black when turning cinema smooth on and off. As for lag, I have noticed none just playing, now when checking the lag is about 30ms-,anything under 60ms is good , under 40ms is awesome. I can tell you that watching a hockey game- there are no white "pops" however I did notice what I am calling "LITTLE GREY FUZZIES" now- you need to be about 1-2 feet from the panel and be looking for them but I have seen them, they are about 2-3 pixels and light grey, I have only noticed a few of them, they are not noticeable at all from 3-4 feet away. I can tell you that the shadow detail is much much better than on the d8000, and that the black does not crush the detail on the E8000. The images on the E8000 are very crisp and clear, flesh tone are realistic. The web browser is greatly improved from last year. 3D is phenominal - no ghosting or xtalk at all, and the 2D to 3D is great , however there is the slightest ghosting when there is alot of small fast moving objects, but again you would really need to be looking for this. Cinema smooth problems of the 2011 sets are gone ! I noticed no lightening of the black bars when switching cinema smooth on and off. I did use the Disney "wow" disc to help calibrate the set, not anywhere near what a pro calibration will do but it is a very effective inexpensive alternative to pro calibration. If I can be of any further help just let me know. ENJOY.

GOD BLESS

tonyjd40
post #43 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:

OK, the expansion slot is for software and hardware upgrades. Say if next year samsung goes with a quad core chip, well the expansion upgrade will include this to upgrade your tv. I think the expansion slot was an incredible idea and its true value will be seen when the 2013 come out and a simple upgrade will be almost as good as getting a new set at a fraction of the cost. As far as why no one else did this - well look at voice control panasonic did not include this but there was an article that they were considering an add on later in this year for their tv's to have this ability, maybe they just didn't think of it or did not see the market for it either way I would be willing to bet in 2013 more manufacturers will be doing this. As for dithering, there is just the slightest and you need to be very close to the tv and looking for it to even notice it. There is no problems with cinema smooth this year as the black bars stay black when turning cinema smooth on and off. As for lag, I have noticed none just playing, now when checking the lag is about 30ms-,anything under 60ms is good , under 40ms is awesome. I can tell you that watching a hockey game- there are no white "pops" however I did notice what I am calling "LITTLE GREY FUZZIES" now- you need to be about 1-2 feet from the panel and be looking for them but I have seen them, they are about 2-3 pixels and light grey, I have only noticed a few of them, they are not noticeable at all from 3-4 feet away. I can tell you that the shadow detail is much much better than on the d8000, and that the black does not crush the detail on the E8000. The images on the E8000 are very crisp and clear, flesh tone are realistic. The web browser is greatly improved from last year. 3D is phenominal - no ghosting or xtalk at all, and the 2D to 3D is great , however there is the slightest ghosting when there is alot of small fast moving objects, but again you would really need to be looking for this. Cinema smooth problems of the 2011 sets are gone ! I noticed no lightening of the black bars when switching cinema smooth on and off. I did use the Disney "wow" disc to help calibrate the set, not anywhere near what a pro calibration will do but it is a very effective inexpensive alternative to pro calibration. If I can be of any further help just let me know. ENJOY.

GOD BLESS

pics ? thanks tony
post #44 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 03:55 AM

Quote:

If you can upgrade I strongly suggest it. Not only is it better pq, the expansion pack will (should) be priceless come next year. It will be able to upgrade not only software but hardware as well. The web browser on this tv is as fast as my Dell 15R laptop. I don't know exactly why people are having trouble in the stores with the new features but they work fine here at home, maybe some settings, or not knowing how to PROPERLY use them. The motion control is alittle weird as you need to make the correct motions , and lighting can not be super bright (like in a store) or too dim. I really don't care much for the motion control but the voice control is great, no more looking for the darn remote !!!! ENJOY.

god bless

I think my PQ on the D8000 is pretty good,without calibration,so if your saying that the E series is that much better out of the box,then its a no brainer!I do want to ask,are there settings for the voice and motion control to turn it off if you dont want to use those features?I was gonna tell them id rather have the E7000 without the extras,but if the E8000 can be controlled the normal way then id just go with the E8000.
post #45 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 AM
Advanced Member

Tony, when you changed the title of the thread, you dropped the "E" (the most important part)

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

-
-

post #46 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest261 View Post

tony, when you changed the title of the thread, you dropped the "e" (the most important part)

+1 :d
post #47 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 04:09 AM
Advanced Member

jroptop,

Now I don't want to start any fights or ruin anyone's day, but before you drop $1.5-3k on a new E-series plasma, for the love of God, look at them hard in the showroom . Yes, I viewed them in the store, but it was in Best Buy's "Magnolia Room", where the lights are very dim, and I would argue it's not a bad test environment. I got to play with the remotes and I can tell you, when the E-series and D-series are literally right next to each other, I can't tell any difference between luminance, black level, or picture clarity. They appear exactly the same to my eye. I even had a hard time identifying which one was the E and which one was the D at first. Now they DID look slightly different, especially in the white balance, but this was clearly due to a lack of calibration. Some of the E-series looked slightly better depending on screen size, for instance.

The E-series looks like a great set and I'm still considering buying one, but moving from a D-series? You're going to be disappointed, unless you're looking for the added web/control features (which aren't much to write home about, in my opinion). PQ-wise, this is barely even an evolutionary upgrade. Far from the "revolutionary" upgrade of Panasonic's ST30->ST50 this year, for instance. You aren't going to see a jump like that by any means.

As for E8000 vs VT50, it's becoming more clear to me that this year Samsung upgraded its gadgets, while Panasonic was all about PQ.... in some cases hopefully catching up to Samsung (motion resolution, color accuracy), though we only have the early indications from the mid-range ST50 to go by at this point. I stopped by the VT30 in the Magnolia room to compare as well, and it's still a great contender. So good in fact that I don't think I could throw down $$$ on an E8000 until I see what Panasonic does with the VT50.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

-
-

post #48 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry about the title, Mr Lang changed it for me cause I do not know how. I will see if I can et it fixed. sorry.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #49 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry about the title, Mr Lang changed it for me cause I do not know how. I will see if I can et it fixed. sorry.

god bless

Edit the original post, and then click the "Advanced" button.

Calibration Equipment:

Televisions:

Plasma IR Removal:

-
-

post #50 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

No fight here. You are entitled to your opinion. I agree to disagree with you. As for your statement about Samsung being all about gadgets, no true, albeit that is where they decided to focus most of their advertising/marketing dollars. As for the voice/motion control , yes you can "turn them off" they do not need to be used. You also get the smart touch pad remote. I can tell you that even in best buy, magnolia- that is not best viewing environment- your home is. The vt50 may be better in black level - any other comments about brighter panels and better color is yet to be seen. Samsung had the best color reproduction last year, it carried over. I can not see spending $700 more for the 65vt over the 64E8000, price for the 64 E8000 Sammy is only $3299. delivered and you get 2 pair 3d glasses in the box, no glasses with the vt50. So, IMHO I do not see the cost to higher quality ratio being better for the paqnasonic vt50. Also, the expansion pack is a great benefit which will be realized 2013. I expect the VT50 to be great, but I said that last year and Panasonic had alot of problems with thier displays last year. Samsung had thier problems but IR and burn in were not among them and that is VERY important to me. I do not work for any manufacturer and I am not a fanboy for any manufacturer. I look at

1. PQ

2. COST

3. COST TO PQ RATIO

4. CUSTOMER SERVICE.

I can tell you that prior Samsung was not the best at customer service , but they stepped up in this area this year, just look at all the people getting or being offered refunds/exchanges. I am still in the market for a 64/65 inch tv, so no manufacturer is out of the running yet. I am looking at the Panasonic 65st/gt50 Samsung 64 E8000 and even the
LG PM9700. Although LG only goes to 60" and I really want bigger. I am very happy with the Samsung E8000 performance, and waiting for the larger size review, I expect even better PQ from the bigger size. ENJOY !!

GOD BLESS

tonyjd40
post #51 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone can change this thread name (moderators) Please rename as below.

"OFFICIAL SAMSUNG E7000/E8000 OWNERS THREAD"

Thank you.

tonyjd40
post #52 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 05:07 AM

Few guestions:

- 60-64 does not have any ir?
- blacks are blacker but are they brighter? i have D555 and 3d is too dimm :/
- do they have frame interpolation system aka motion judder canceler?
- does 6500, 7000 and 8000 equal picture quality?

I currently have 51D555 and i will get ST50 or E6500/7000. Mostly because i need bigger screen, better anti reflection and brighter whites and blacker blacks.
post #53 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Tony, thank you for your comments about the web browser since I've been wondering if all of this years sets actually have real full browsers. Can you use Hulu (not Hulu Plus) with the browser?

post #54 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 View Post

Few guestions:

- 60-64 does not have any ir?
- blacks are blacker but are they brighter? i have D555 and 3d is too dimm :/
- do they have frame interpolation system aka motion judder canceler?
- does 6500, 7000 and 8000 equal picture quality?

I currently have 51D555 and i will get ST50 or E6500/7000. Mostly because i need bigger screen, better anti reflection and brighter whites and blacker blacks.

The 60 inch has NO ir , I have looked very close, and will continue to monitor this. The screen is a tad brighter, but the 3D is much brighter - may be due to new glasses, but big improvement. 7000/8000 same pq just that the 7000 does not have voice/motion control and I believe CMR is 840 on 7000 and 960 ON 8000. tHE 6500 I have not seen. The screen is not as bad as last years as far as reflections in bright rooms, but could be better.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #55 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post

Tony, thank you for your comments about the web browser since I've been wondering if all of this years sets actually have real full browsers. Can you use Hulu (not Hulu Plus) with the browser?

I believe you have an option to dowload the hulu app or the hulu plus, or both. The web browser is a full web browser htlm5 and webkit, it is super fast compared to last year. It can keep up with my DELL 15R laptop, actually a little faster if you use the voice control cause typing takes a tad longer, especially with longer search questions. It also has flash this year also, great improvement.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #56 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Pm'd Mr. Lang again if he would be so kind as to change the thread title again for me.

tonyjd40
post #57 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 06:18 AM

Liked: 10
I just got my 64E8000 set up. I replaced my C8000 which samsung bought back after my panel failed. My C8000 was silent. My E8000 has a horibble buzz. It can only be heard when sitting (not standing) directly in front of my TV. I have a large sectional about 13 feet away, and the buzz is loud and annoying. My furniture hasnt been moved either. I can sit in almost all of the other sofa cushions and not here the buzz. If I go back to the cushion directly in front, its super loud, super bad. It appears to get louder with a brighter picture as well. I am glad I bought this unit from BB ($3100) and not online. I will let it break in for a few days. I also tried it with all of my components shut off, and it did not make a difference.

Super bummed out!
post #58 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 06:41 AM

Liked: 13
If anyone gets either of these new TV's I would really appreciate it if you could try watching some hockey and check to see if they have improved the effect that results from the ABL on the D series.

When panning from side to side on hockey games (and occasionally on basketball games) there are noticeable jumps in brightness as the cameras pan from side of the ice to the other - the crowd being in the picture towards the ends of the ice allow for the brightness to jump up due to less white being on screen. If they somehow found a way to make this effect less noticeable it would be a huge improvement for those of us that love to watch hockey.

Thanks.
post #59 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:

The 60 inch has NO ir , I have looked very close, and will continue to monitor this. The screen is a tad brighter, but the 3D is much brighter - may be due to new glasses, but big improvement. 7000/8000 same pq just that the 7000 does not have voice/motion control and I believe CMR is 840 on 7000 and 960 ON 8000. tHE 6500 I have not seen. The screen is not as bad as last years as far as reflections in bright rooms, but could be better.

god bless

OK thanks. If thats so, then im not 100% sure about buying ST50 anymore. What about frame interpolation system? Does these E-series plasmas have it?
post #60 of 4330 Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

...when the E-series and D-series are literally right next to each other, I can't tell any difference between luminance, black level, or picture clarity. They appear exactly the same to my eye. I even had a hard time identifying which one was the E and which one was the D at first. Now they DID look slightly different, especially in the white balance, but this was clearly due to a lack of calibration. Some of the E-series looked slightly better depending on screen size, for instance...

I would take anyone's subjective impression of "clarity" or other vague picture quality comparisons with a large grain of salt. For one thing, unless they're both fully calibrated, there could be many reasons why they will look different.

We have no reason to expect much of a picture quality improvement from D to E series, and I'd be willing to bet that professional reviews will bear this out. Until then, I wouldn't be waving the E series flag quite so strongly - a single, potentially flawed qualitative observation isn't worth much.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page