Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

i don't think so. this is not Cnet's David katz. posted picture settings for PN60E8000

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 using Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 616 7.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first post, so can't post URLs.

Take out the space...

h ttp://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-561058/samsung-pn60e8000-picture-settings/?messageId=5300232&tag=rb_content;contentBody#message5300232
post #663 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Liked: 11
CNET David Katzmier picture settings .. Calibration report!!!
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...;threadListing

Post cal showing a blue push.. Last years d8000 more accurate. Not sure if David K equipment accurate. His meter was giving him trouble last week.
As he tweeted me.
http://scr.bi/JAt0mc
post #664 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThirdEye View Post

My first post, so can't post URLs.

Take out the space...

h ttp://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-561058/samsung-pn60e8000-picture-settings/?messageId=5300232&tag=rb_content;contentBody#message5300232

Below you'll find the settings I found best for viewing the Samsung PN60E8000 in a dim room via the HDMI input with a 1080p/24 source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Calibration notes: The default Movie setting was, as usual for Samsung plasmas, quite accurate before I did any adjusting. I appreciated having the myriad settings available, however, and was able to get the TV very close to ideal using the ten-point grayscale and the best-in-class color management system. The exception was a spike at 50 in blue, which I couldn't correct because my reading fluctuated from measurement to measurement, and the adjustment was too coarse. My readings for green and cyan also fluctuated somewhat, but not as much.

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 20
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off
xvYCC: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Color Space submenu:
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 41, Green 2, Blue 2
Green: Red 13, Green 53, Blue 0
Blue: Red 1, Green 2, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 50, Green 50, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 12, Green 56, Blue 52
Magenta: Red 41, Green 5, Blue 48

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 27
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 26
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 27
B-Gain: 24

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -3
Interval 2: Red 0, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 3: Red +1, Green +2, Blue +2
Interval 4: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +1
Interval 5: Red +2, Green +3, Blue +4
Interval 6: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +4
Interval 7: Red +2, Green +2, Blue +2
Interval 8: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +5
Interval 9: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +5
Interval 10: Red +3, Green 0, Blue +8

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Cinema Smooth

Note: This post was edited by its original author added link to calibration report on 04/17/2012 at 1:40 PM PT

cheers got it i'll try these tomorrow

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 using Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY DEN
post #665 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Just applied David Katz. settings. TV looks pretty amazing!
post #666 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 View Post

CNET David Katzmier picture settings .. Calibration report!!!
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...;threadListing

Post cal showing a blue push.. Last years d8000 more accurate. Not sure if David K equipment accurate. His meter was giving him trouble last week.
As he tweeted me.
http://scr.bi/JAt0mc

There is something screwy about the 50% stimulus post-calibration RGB grayscale balance. From the pre-cal grayscale chart, it looks like a snap to tighten up especially since there is plenty of range left in the ten point fifth interval to smooth it out.

Larry
post #667 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 442
post #668 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Chad is here now doing his thing with a PN60E8000 and a Panasonic TC-P50GT50 right next to it Should be interesting....

Indeed... let us know how the two stack up side by side
post #669 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboy207 View Post

I do believe you have a legitimate FBR issue (aka brightness pops) on your television. I believe its been mentioned to you earlier that there is a fix. You've opted not to try it due to it voiding your warranty which is totally understandable. So now your exploring having it replaced with e7000 which is why your asking if the FBR have been fixed. The only problem with that is that most ppl here seem to be mixing up the FBR / brightness pops your experiencing with the pops in hockey which is totally different issue. I don't think ppl have an issue with the legitimate complaints about brightness pops, I think its more the fact that ppl are complaining that they are experiencing brightness pops when it really is not that. What they are experiencing is pops in hockey which seems to be an issue for all plasmas. So try to get it replaced with the new E series as I believe the brightness pops your experiencing has been fixed. If you get the E series and still experiencing the same issues then you can complain. Good luck. I do hope everything does work out for you.

I understand what you are saying completely. I think all the talk about the hockey flashes are mucking up the legitimate cases of fluctuating brightness/pops during dark scenes, and that is what is behind all the confusion in here. I really hope you are right and my issue has been fixed for the E series. If that is the case I will be very happy.
post #670 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

I would contact whoever you got the set from and demand the 4100's. They're supposed to come bundled with the 2012 TV's. Better yet, call Samsung.

I would avoid doing that, I just tried some 4100's and they are rubbish, The legs are not long enough to fit behind an adults ears properly for a start plus they kept flipping skewiffed on my nose. The 3100 / 3050 models are far better.
post #671 of 4310 Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 PM

Hi,

I've purchased (but not yet received) a Samsung PN60E8000 and I have some questions that I'm hoping you -- my fellow early adopters -- can answer because, I'm sad to say, the Samsung web-site does a very poor job of illuminating some of the finer details regarding this product. I imagine that is because it is so new.

I tried searching the forum for answers before asking, but I think I suck at searching.

In any case here are my questions:

1. The web-site lists the product as coming with 2 pairs of Active 3D glasses. The reviews I've read indicated the higher end models came with 4 pairs. I'm inclined to believe the web-site, of course, but thought I'd ask. Is it 2 or 4?

2. The product comes with an IR blaster -- that seems helpful, but what are the capabilities of the IR blaster? Is it limited to channel changing and volume only, or does it support basic PVR features like play/pause/stop/record? For bonus points, it would be nice to know if it supported the typical Windows Media Center/Microsoft IPTV shortcuts like "guide", "recordings list", etc.

3. I can't for the life of me find a user's manual for this thing. I read that it might be built-in to the TV. Is there a PDF (or HTML or whatever) version? I absolutely can't read text on a TV screen (vision issues) unless its mind-bogglingly huge.

4. The web-site lists (apparently) 3 controls that come with this product -- Smart Touch Control, TM1290, TM1250B. Is that seriously 3 remote controls, or... well, I can't really think what else it could be but that would seem odd.

5. How configurable is the Smart Hub? I noticed that there is a Fitness app and a family-story app (wtf?), and a kids app all built-in and very front & center in the screenshots. I have no use for any of that -- and would rather not see it. I won't cry if I can't get rid of it, but I'm curious.

6. I primarily watch movies, and of the movies I watch most are in 2.35 aspect ratio. I've never owned a plasma before, but from what I understand letterboxing can lead to IR and (eventually) burn-in, particularly within the first 100 hours. I'd obviously like to avoid that! Does the TV have scaling modes to eliminate the letterboxing? I've also heard that you can turn on a grey-bars feature -- does that help, or is scaling the preferred solution during that critical "settling in" phase?

7. I read on Amazon (not the best source, I know) that if you are using the apps on the TV (like Netflix) the audio is only output through the TV's speakers (ie: you can't feed it back to your receiver). Is that correct? It isn't a deal-breaker for me, but it would complicate things somewhat as I normally just turn the TVs speakers off and rely entirely on my 7.1 system.

8. Dumb question, I know, but does it come with the stand attached or removed? My previous large screen TV (from 5 years ago) had the "stand", such as it was, physically built into the frame of the TV.

I won't asking about humming. I have no idea whether it will or won't, or what would be normal for a plasma vs. unacceptably loud. I guess I'll see!

You might be wondering why I'd buy the TV without knowing the answers to all of these questions; primarily its because the important question (to me) is picture quality and all the user feedback I've seen about this TV and its immediate predecessor say that its got the picture quality. The rest is gravy, as far as I'm concerned.
post #672 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Chad is here now doing his thing with a PN60E8000 and a Panasonic TC-P50GT50 right next to it Should be interesting....

Did Chad load the latest Samsung firmware 1015.x ? I understand there were some picture enhancements which "might" have some impact on the blue spike.
post #673 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 03:35 AM

@derla

I can answer a couple questions immediately:

- the stand is removable. I now have my tv mounted
- I watched a season of eureka (5.1) on Netflix and it sounds fine coming thru my denon receiver.
- when I had the ES7500 it was 4 pairs of 3D glasses (same with ES8000);
with E8000 only 2! Was expecting 4.

@tameo: I will try to play around with some settings tonight and give you feedback.
post #674 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 AM

It would be great if you could also give feedback on IR (image retention). Thanks!
post #675 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

Hi,

I've purchased (but not yet received) a Samsung PN60E8000 and I have some questions that I'm hoping you -- my fellow early adopters -- can answer because, I'm sad to say, the Samsung web-site does a very poor job of illuminating some of the finer details regarding this product. I imagine that is because it is so new.

I tried searching the forum for answers before asking, but I think I suck at searching.

In any case here are my questions:

1. The web-site lists the product as coming with 2 pairs of Active 3D glasses. The reviews I've read indicated the higher end models came with 4 pairs. I'm inclined to believe the web-site, of course, but thought I'd ask. Is it 2 or 4?

2. The product comes with an IR blaster -- that seems helpful, but what are the capabilities of the IR blaster? Is it limited to channel changing and volume only, or does it support basic PVR features like play/pause/stop/record? For bonus points, it would be nice to know if it supported the typical Windows Media Center/Microsoft IPTV shortcuts like "guide", "recordings list", etc.

3. I can't for the life of me find a user's manual for this thing. I read that it might be built-in to the TV. Is there a PDF (or HTML or whatever) version? I absolutely can't read text on a TV screen (vision issues) unless its mind-bogglingly huge.

4. The web-site lists (apparently) 3 controls that come with this product -- Smart Touch Control, TM1290, TM1250B. Is that seriously 3 remote controls, or... well, I can't really think what else it could be but that would seem odd.

5. How configurable is the Smart Hub? I noticed that there is a Fitness app and a family-story app (wtf?), and a kids app all built-in and very front & center in the screenshots. I have no use for any of that -- and would rather not see it. I won't cry if I can't get rid of it, but I'm curious.

6. I primarily watch movies, and of the movies I watch most are in 2.35 aspect ratio. I've never owned a plasma before, but from what I understand letterboxing can lead to IR and (eventually) burn-in, particularly within the first 100 hours. I'd obviously like to avoid that! Does the TV have scaling modes to eliminate the letterboxing? I've also heard that you can turn on a grey-bars feature -- does that help, or is scaling the preferred solution during that critical "settling in" phase?

7. I read on Amazon (not the best source, I know) that if you are using the apps on the TV (like Netflix) the audio is only output through the TV's speakers (ie: you can't feed it back to your receiver). Is that correct? It isn't a deal-breaker for me, but it would complicate things somewhat as I normally just turn the TVs speakers off and rely entirely on my 7.1 system.

8. Dumb question, I know, but does it come with the stand attached or removed? My previous large screen TV (from 5 years ago) had the "stand", such as it was, physically built into the frame of the TV.

I won't asking about humming. I have no idea whether it will or won't, or what would be normal for a plasma vs. unacceptably loud. I guess I'll see!

You might be wondering why I'd buy the TV without knowing the answers to all of these questions; primarily its because the important question (to me) is picture quality and all the user feedback I've seen about this TV and its immediate predecessor say that its got the picture quality. The rest is gravy, as far as I'm concerned.

not sure if this will work but i attached owners manual that i downloaded from the samsung site. looks like it didn't work but it you go into samsung site log in you should see downloads it should be there try http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...PN60E8000GFXZA

My main setup
MY DEN
post #676 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Hey did Chad finish with the Cal on PN60E8000 ? If so how does it compare to the GT50?
post #677 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gstrein View Post

Did Chad load the latest Samsung firmware 1015.x ? I understand there were some picture enhancements which "might" have some impact on the blue spike.

How does one get that latest firmware upgrade? When i check the tv for software upgrades it just says that none are available.
post #678 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

How does one get that latest firmware upgrade? When i check the tv for software upgrades it just says that none are available.

I went on the system tab, then upgrade via internet and it popped up.
post #679 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Up until late yesterday my PN64E8000 would not see the latest update either, I could have downloaded the update to USB directly from Samsung Support firmware site - which I didn't do... Anyway last night I checked for updates and it said there was indeed a new update V 1015 so I updated. I did choose by mistake the USB update method first from the options but it didn't find anything since no USB stick was connected. Perhaps this enabled the normal download to work?! However, I really think it was just a delay in Samsung uploading to the server.
post #680 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

my tv just arived today from amazon no buzz no pops i have to get to work so i will reveiw better tonight very happy so far pn60e8000

My main setup
MY DEN
post #681 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=airgon74;21922004]I went on the system tab, then upgrade via internet and it popped up.[/QUO

Hmmm, thats what i did. I dont know why nothing came up???

AHHH ok , i see that some are saying the upload wasnt available until late last night. I will try tonite

Thanks
post #682 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

not sure if this will work but i attached owners manual that i downloaded from the samsung site. looks like it didn't work but it you go into samsung site log in you should see downloads it should be there try http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...PN60E8000GFXZA

This worked, thank you. I'm not sure why the Canadian site is out-of-date.

I tried them again today and the model-finder tool still does not show this model (or even the previous year's model, for that matter) but if you do a search for the actual part number it brings up a link to the Canadian side of the Samsung web-site with the downloads. I suspect that their model-finder is just outdated. For Canadian users the desired URL -seems- to be:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mo...ownloadName=UM
post #683 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 314
This week I had the privilege of spending some time with Samsung’s new PN-60E8000 at Cleveland Plasma. The E8000 is a thin, stylish Smart TV, with built in WiFi and 3D. I was happy to see a redesigned remote, which aided operation by feel and lessened the frequency of incorrect button presses compared to last year’s. In addition, the E8000’s screen filter is well designed, keeping the screen relatively dark in normal ambient light and minimizing reflections. Compared to a Panasonic GT50 sitting beside it, the E8000’s screen reflections were a bit more noticeable, but they were less distracting than on most top of the line televisions.
After the initial setup, the E8000 connected to the wireless network and downloaded the latest firmware, 001016.

Before calibration:

I spent some time looking at the picture before making any calibration adjustments. The room was dark, and source material came from my familiar Blu Rays at 1080P/24.
The E8000 comes out of the gate in Standard mode, which is too dark and unnatural to be of any enjoyment. New owners should remember to change the picture mode right away to get an enjoyable picture from the E8000.

After sampling the Dynamic and Relax modes and finding them garish and unnatural, switching to Movie mode brought a sigh of relief. The overall image was very good, although there were indications that a little refinement would go a long way.
Colors seemed a little too hot, though skin tones looked very good. The picture lacked a bit of richness and seemed somewhat uninvolving. Though the image was generally smooth and grain free, when I paused the Blu Ray player I noticed excessive graininess. The black level was very good but not quite as dark as on the latest Panasonics. With bright letterboxed content, the blacks were dark enough to blend in with the bezel, though darker content lessened that illusion. I noticed the screen dimmed when no signal was present, becoming perfectly dark with fades to black but lighting back up when any content was present. Pans were a bit choppy, and shadow detail was slightly crushed. Fine detail appeared to be a little etched. Despite all these criticisms, The Dark Knight still brought out a beauty in the E8000’s image, with most scenes giving a compelling sense of depth and pop.

Calibration:

I put up a grayscale ramp test pattern and saw some color banding before making any adjustments to Movie mode.
As I adjusted the advanced user controls with the aid of CalMAN and my spectroradiometer, I found that less correction was needed at interval 1 of the 10 point adjustment than on last year’s PN-D series. On the downside, corrections were still coarse in the lower intervals, making fine tuning of the darkest levels problematic. Grayscale tracking and gamma were very slightly different with 1080P/24 content and Cinema Smooth turned on than with other HD content, though the difference was not nearly as distressing as what I’ve seen on some LG plasmas. The difference amounted to a change of up to 3 dE UV. Cinema Smooth operates at 96 Hz, as confirmed by my meter’s sync reading, while other content was displayed at 60 Hz as expected. This different scan rate can cause slight changes in performance, though in this case it was not all bad. Minimum Luminance Level, or black level, measured .0089 fL; but with 1080P/24 and Cinema Smooth engaged, it improved to .0073. This is a welcome change from previous years, when engaging CS degraded the black levels and contrast. The modified ANSI contrast ratio without CS measured 3284:1 (.0079 black, 25.94 white), and with CS it was 3989:1 (.0062 black, 24.73 white). I touched up the white balance and 10 point controls for Cinema Smooth after seeing the improvement it brought to the blacks, though unless separate HDMI inputs are used for 1080P/24 and normal HD content, a slight compromise will have to be reached.
I was disappointed to still see slight banding on a gray ramp even after careful calibration, indicating some ABL induced grayscale tracking issues that will vary with picture content.
The maximum light output with a 100% white field, with CS on, was 12 fL; and the white balance shifted slightly cool relative to a small white window (-5% R, +5% B).
I experimented to see the difference in performance between small 10% sized windows and large 25% windows, and the larger windows raised the green in the white balance by about 4 to 5 percent throughout most of the brightness range. Surprisingly, light output went up a tiny bit with the larger windows.
The E8000 showed significantly more pumping with the dynamic brightness torture test on the AVS 709 disc than the Panasonic GT50 sitting beside it, though I have not performed this test on enough plasmas to comment on how good or bad this is in absolute terms.
Color gamut saturation and level sweeps were performed with ChromaPure, and the results were generally good. However, some saturation variances might be enough to influence the look of skin tones.

After calibration:

With CS engaged, my familiar Blu Ray demo material looked great. Bright colors were vibrant and rich, and skin tones looked natural. The picture was easygoing and yet engaging, and shadow detail appeared to be spot on. I enjoyed the sense of depth and dimension, which was among the best I have seen on a plasma. The image was smooth and clean, while still conveying a sense of perfect detail and resolution. Brightness transitions were handled well, and there were no signs of banding, though occasionally I saw very small and brief picture fluctuations which are normal for most plasmas.
Movie motion was excellent, though if you’re used to the super smooth type of fluidity most modern sets boast then you will find it to be a bit jerky. Contrast and black levels were excellent, though with dark content in a dark room it will not be mistaken for a 9G Kuro.
I might expect skin tones to be somewhat undersaturated from the results of the saturation sweeps; but with my familiar material they looked absolutely amazing, though a bit on the inoffensive side if I had to choose.
I truly enjoyed the E8000’s image. I saw no significant flaws, the E8000 handling everything competently if not superbly, and it offers glimpses of those magical qualities home theater enthusiasts crave.

Face off: GT50 vs. E8000

Contrast was reduced in the GT50’s THX Cinema mode to match the light output of the E8000 in Movie mode. Sources included 1080P/24 Blu Ray and 1080i DirecTV. Cinema Smooth was turned on in the E8000.

Lights on, TV off:

GT50 is slightly better at reducing reflections. Both stay quite dark, but the GT50 is slightly better in that regard.

Lights off, Blu Ray:
Black levels are more similar than different, though the GT50 is darker by a hair. Certain times the black difference is more easily seen that other times.
E8000’s overall presentation is a bit more earthy-toned, giving it a slightly more cinematic feel as opposed to the GT50’s video feel.
Though the measurements would suggest a large difference in shadow detail, with real content the difference is extremely slim, with the GT50 just barely coming out of black faster. I have to look for the difference, but there’s a little more texture visible in dark clothes and objects on the GT50. The E8000 is actually more accurate in that regard, but many people like a bit of extra shadow detail.
Sometimes skin tones are just a tiny bit less red on the E8000. Usually the difference is slight. However, in the Digital Video Essentials Restaurant scene, the difference is more pronounced. I feel the E8000’s skin tones look more true to life in this clip.
The E8000 handles texture and layering in brightly lit faces and other very bright objects more naturally at times.
The GT50 has a tiny bit more pop in bright scenes, with whites looking a bit brighter. Whites can take on a slightly bluish and/or violet hue on the GT50, in comparison to the E8000’s slightly duller, greener toned whites.
Both have excellent depth.
I can see just a bit more fluctuation in the E8000’s image.
Overall presentation is just a bit more lifelike on the E8000 as opposed to more enhanced looking on the GT50.

Lights off, 1080i DirecTV:
Fades to black a are little better on the GT50. Hockey rink looks far more realistic on GT50, with brighter, purer whites. Neither shows much Dirty Screen Effect on hockey with movement and pans, but the GT50 shows more ice texture. A few fleeting times I thought I saw slight DSE, but I might have been looking too hard for it. Neither set fluctuates too much, both are seemingly stable.
The E8000’s skin tones can be a bit greenish, or the GT50’s skin tones can be a bit reddish, depending on the programming.

Conclusion: The E8000 is my preference by a nose for Blu Ray movies played in light controlled environments, with a slightly more cinematic, relaxed, and lifelike image. However, in other instances the GT50 is a very clear winner: viewing in typical living room lighting is much better on the GT50, as is hockey.

AdvancedColorManagementReportE8000.zip 392.2392578125k . file

Samsung PN-60E8000 movie mode.pdf 264.498046875k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Samsung PN-60E8000 movie mode.pdf (264.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: zip AdvancedColorManagementReportE8000.zip (392.2 KB, 93 views)
eric3316 likes this.
post #684 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Thanks Chad for the thorough review! Did you notice any reduction in dithering on the GT50 relative to the E8000? In theory the added gradations via what we think is effectively adding 1/2 a subfield could lessen the need for dithering in very dark scenes and I'm curious as to whether that has happened.
post #685 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 03:39 PM

@chad > Thanks a million for this first look! Could you give us your general opinion on "e8000 vs gt50" based on the above details? It's not super clear for example if there's a noticeable improve in black Level on the e8000 compared to last year d8000...etc...Is 0.0079 or 0.0062 good or bad compared to competition and D8000?

And what about:
- posterization
- dithering
- swarming
- image retention
- bzzzzzz

Thanks!
post #686 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
So... The blacks are worse on the E8000 compared to the GT or did I get that wrong?

Is the samsung good but not as good as the Panasonic ? I seem to get that idea..
post #687 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

So... The blacks are worse on the E8000 compared to the GT or did I get that wrong?

Is the samsung good but not as good as the Panasonic ? I seem to get that idea..

Not only that but its a 60 vs. 50. The 60gt are even lower

consider the source
post #688 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM

As I posted previously, my replacement TV (PN64E8000) is also a major buzzer. Next step is the retailer is going to have a tech replace the panel on the TV I returned. If that fixes the buzzing, then they suggest replacing the panel on my replacement TV. If it doesn't, then on to TV #3.
post #689 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian s View Post

Not only that but its a 60 vs. 50. The 60gt are even lower

Sigh... We don't get the ST til May, and there won't be a 65"... The VT series only arrives in June...

And the Panasonic should Japanese with no caps issues?

A little dilemma here.
post #690 of 4310 Old 04-18-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post

Thats how it sounded to me as well...hmmm
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page