AVS Forum banner
447K views 4K replies 476 participants last post by  tongshadow 
#1 ·
This is the owners thread for the Samsung PNXXE7000/8000.

I have a Samsung pn60e8000, which was a replacement for my Samsung PN59D8000. I think over all the E seies has better PQ than the D series. Darker blacks, color is on par with last years excellent performance, and the new dual core chip really speeds up the use of apps and browser. Also the new internet browser is much faster and easier to use, and it is a full web browser , most web browsers on tv's are not full web browser's. The new features like face recognition is great and works very well, it does a great job. If you have an account and you are using the tv, it takes you right to your account. If you have an account and are in the room with several other people it shows all the people and displays those with accounts and without, giving you the option to sign into your account or allowing a person to make their own account. The voice control works very well, even in a room with people talking, the remote itself also has a mic to help in this situation.The voice control can be a bit finicky as you need to know the commands and must speak clearly. Also, there is a 1.5 second delay from when you speak until it reacts, but as for the web browser part I can tell you it is still much faster than typing. The motion control works but can be a bit sluggish, you need to learn the appropriate motions then it will work well, also lighting conditions can interfere with it, you need to atleast have a lamp on. I have not noticed any under or over scan issues. I have also not noticed any white "pops" - I did view a hockey game and there were some small greyish area's whithin the white at times. I am talking about when the screen is almost totally white, if you look very close you can notice this but it is very subtle.The screen was brilliant white and trying to look at these was very painful to my eye's. I watched avatar, alice in wonderland,tangled and Imax under the sea , all in 3d and there was no xtalk or ghosting . I did however notice the slightest xtalk when using the 2d-3d feature but it was very minamal. I tested gaming and it was great - even in very fast motion scenes. Also did mw3 in 3d and again great performance. There was no lag issue with out using the game mode setting. if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.

god bless

See less See more
#606 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 /forum/post/21913151

You have an LCD so you will not see the issue .

like i said when my pn60e8000 arrives wednesday i will report back.

#607 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais /forum/post/21904658

so your SAYING you have a pnxxe8000 and you don't have the HBO GO APP that would bite because i just ordered a pn60e8000 and it's on my un46d8000 and its also on my pn50c7000 so i don't see why it wouldnt be on the newest top of the line sets

Nope - and it's still not there - David K. from CNET also mentions it in his most recent "hands on" article and states that they do have the question of the missing HBO GO app in to Samsung and they are waiting for a response. Crossing my fingers that they add it soon. I have an apple tv 2 with XBMC and I sure don't want to add a Roku just for HBO Go.

#609 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivart321 /forum/post/21913555

Any definitive feedback on buzzing? Last year's D8000 was unacceptable compared to the Panasonic sets. I am hoping they improved it this year. I saw a few posts, but couldn't see anything from D8000 owners who could compare.

Thanks!

Then just go and Buy a panasonic I've seen threads that some Panasonic have Buzz.

Plasma TV is making humming noise.

Plasma TVs typically make

a soft humming sound. This is normal.

It's caused by the electrical charges

that are used to create the images on

the screen.

If the humming sound is loud, you may

have set the brightness on the TV too

high. Try setting the brightness lower.

You can also have loud humming if the

back of your Plasma TV is too close to

a wall or other hard surface. Also, try

rerouting your connection cables.

An improperly installed wall mount can

also create excessive noise.

#610 ·
Yeah, yeah. All plasmas buzz, we get it. Unfortunately, the current Samsung design seems to be more prone to buzzing than most, and there is absolutely no way to say what percentage of sets rise to an unacceptable level (partly because it depends on your room, mounting, and the sensitivity of your hearing). I've already seen plenty of reports on E series buzzing, just like we saw for the D, so you should know there is still some chance of getting a nasty buzzer. I have heard several D series sets in friend's living rooms and they vary from nearly silent to fairly uncomfortable. Interestingly, some people either cannot hear this buzz or are just not bothered by it in my experience.

It's still too early to say if the E has been improved in this regard, but if you start to see posts from people who exchanged their sets 3, 4, even 5 times without finding a non-buzzer (as was the case for the D), then I'd say Samsung probably hasn't addressed it.

Oh, and for those who expect this thread to continue without nitpicking on faults, you may be in for a rude awakening...

#611 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais /forum/post/21913744

Then just go and Buy a panasonic I've seen threads that some Panasonic have Buzz.

Plasma TV is making humming noise.

Plasma TVs typically make

a soft humming sound. This is normal.

It's caused by the electrical charges

that are used to create the images on

the screen.

If the humming sound is loud, you may

have set the brightness on the TV too

high. Try setting the brightness lower.

You can also have loud humming if the

back of your Plasma TV is too close to

a wall or other hard surface. Also, try

rerouting your connection cables.

An improperly installed wall mount can

also create excessive noise.

The Panasonic's do not make nearly as loud of a buzzing noise. Regardless, there are other reasons people chose different sets. I am interested in the Samsung, and will go to Panasonic if I have to. Your response is not helpful at all though.

I have had 7 different 2011 plasma TVs (3 of the same sets on 2 occasions) and feel I can objectively tell you what level of buzzing I feel is acceptable. This is a known issue with the Samsung TVs and I was simply asking if someone (objectively) can tell me if the 2012 sets exhibit the same issue.

#612 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker /forum/post/21913819

Yeah, yeah. All plasmas buzz, we get it. Unfortunately, the current Samsung design seems to be more prone to buzzing than most, and there is absolutely no way to say what percentage of sets rise to an unacceptable level (partly because it depends on your room, mounting, and the sensitivity of your hearing). I've already seen plenty of reports on E series buzzing, just like we saw for the D, so you should know there is still some chance of getting a nasty buzzer. I have heard several D series sets in friend's living rooms and they vary from nearly silent to fairly uncomfortable. Interestingly, some people either cannot hear this buzz or are just not bothered by it in my experience.

It's still too early to say if the E has been improved in this regard, but if you start to see posts from people who exchanged their sets 3, 4, even 5 times without finding a non-buzzer (as was the case for the D), then I'd say Samsung probably hasn't addressed it.

Oh, and for those who expect this thread to continue without nitpicking on faults, you may be in for a rude awakening...

Thank you for this response. This is helpful information. I will keep my eyes open and may purchase an E8000 myself and hope it doesn't buzz.

#613 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker /forum/post/21913819

Thats why i was reading this thread to get information about settings, share calibration setting, and see what Apps are available, and all the new features that i don't have on my PN50c7000 (that has no buzz).

It just seems that most of the talk is about Buzzing and Color Pops,

Im getting my PN60E8000 Wednesday only because i want a bigger screen. Ill run my HD basic and see what settings i come up with.

#614 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais /forum/post/21913915

Thats why i was reading this thread to get information about settings, share calibration setting, and see what Apps are available, and all the new features that i don't have on my PN50c7000 (that has no buzz).

It just seems that most of the talk is about Buzzing Color Pops

Im getting my PN60E8000 Wednesday only because i want a bigger screen. Ill run my HD basic and see what settings i come up with.

It's likely because the people without issues are enjoying their TVs, while the people with complaints are trying to find resolutions, etc. I am in this thread because I thought the PQ on last years D8000 was second to none. While the VT50 may have surpassed it, I still very much like the Samsung and am curious if these issues have been resolved. There are quite a few of us who would be thrilled with the set if it didn't make an audible buzz. It is also still relatively new, so there are only a few true owners who can report on these things, including calibration, features, etc.

#615 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivart321 /forum/post/21913939

It's likely because the people without issues are enjoying their TVs, while the people with complaints are trying to find resolutions, etc. I am in this thread because I thought the PQ on last years D8000 was second to none. While the VT50 may have surpassed it, I still very much like the Samsung and am curious if these issues have been resolved. There are quite a few of us who would be thrilled with the set if it didn't make an audible buzz. It is also still relatively new, so there are only a few true owners who can report on these things, including calibration, features, etc.

Well Said

i will see what my impression is after Wednesday but i may not have time because i'll be enjoying my set tweeking and playing with color LOL

#616 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B /forum/post/21910763

Actually the problem is Plasmas are TO GOOD at reproducing the flashes from people's camera's in the rink.

The issue is not "pops" from plasma, it's LCD's lack of fast response and low contrast that makes them to not be able to reproduce what the camera's at the rink pick up.

So, get over your TV that is to good, go back to the LCD.

It's like complaining you can see the wrinkles of people on HDTV now.

Once again, this isn't a failure of the Plasma, it's that plasma is to good at reproducing what's put into it.

I'm really not sure how many other ways I can say the same thing here, and I can't speak for others, but as I have been saying, I am not seeing "pops" on hockey material. It is during dark scenes (shadowy rooms, night scenes, outer space, etc.). It is absolutely a failure of the set if I am seeing brightness pops. It has nothing to do with "camera flashes" for crying out loud. If I'm watching a dark, shadowy scene, and the camera moves even the slightest bit during the shot, the brightness abruptly changes, enough to totally distract me. And it happens constantly. All the dark areas of the scene instantly get brighter by a shade or two, then if the camera moves again, maybe it will darken again, or maybe get even lighter, until the shot or scene changes.

It is not "camera flashes on the rink", because I do not watch hockey! Or any sports, or any event that contains camera flashes.

And for those of us, like me, with a D7000, it is not a "D E A D" horse, because if they fixed it for the E7000, then it would be worth it to me to trade it in for that model. That makes it very relevant to this thread. So sorry that some people here get tired of reading the "same old" thing, but some of us are not happy with the brightness pops, and some of us (like me) are here specifically to learn if anything had been done to correct this for the E series sets, since that is exactly what CNET said would happen this year. I posted all of this earlier in the thread, with the quote form CNET saying that based on Samsung's words, the E series would not have brightness pops.

#617 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 /forum/post/21912723

I can't believe how many people are still getting the term 'Brightness Pops' mixed up LOL

Zoyds Brightness Pops are in Dark scenes where where brightness seems to fluctuate, I have personally asked Zoyd if he has seen these Bright Screen Pops that you are experiancing with the Hockey and his reply was He has never seen them and the US do not have this Bright scene Pop issue.

These are exactly what I am referring to - brightness pops in dark scenes. And I live in the US.

#618 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 /forum/post/21914881

I'm really not sure how many other ways I can say the same thing here, and I can't speak for others, but as I have been saying, I am not seeing "pops" on hockey material. It is during dark scenes (shadowy rooms, night scenes, outer space, etc.). It is absolutely a failure of the set if I am seeing brightness pops. It has nothing to do with "camera flashes" for crying out loud. If I'm watching a dark, shadowy scene, and the camera moves even the slightest bit during the shot, the brightness abruptly changes, enough to totally distract me. And it happens constantly. All the dark areas of the scene instantly get brighter by a shade or two, then if the camera moves again, maybe it will darken again, or maybe get even lighter, until the shot or scene changes.

It is not "camera flashes on the rink", because I do not watch hockey! Or any sports, or any event that contains camera flashes.

And for those of us, like me, with a D7000, it is not a "D E A D" horse, because if they fixed it for the E7000, then it would be worth it to me to trade it in for that model. That makes it very relevant to this thread. So sorry that some people here get tired of reading the "same old" thing, but some of us are not happy with the brightness pops, and some of us (like me) are here specifically to learn if anything had been done to correct this for the E series sets, since that is exactly what CNET said would happen this year. I posted all of this earlier in the thread, with the quote form CNET saying that based on Samsung's words, the E series would not have brightness pops.

my pn60e8000 will be here wednesday i will look for this effect

If there a blue ray that you have and you can tell me the chapter and where i could fast forward to that spot. ill try to see if it happens on my tv and i could let you know. i have a Thor 3d blu-ray that one is a dark lite one or the harry potter 3d part one and part two both of those seem real dark movies???? would this help you?

i know it sucks to buy something this expensive and not be happy.

#619 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivart321 /forum/post/21913826

The Panasonic's do not make nearly as loud of a buzzing noise. Regardless, there are other reasons people chose different sets. I am interested in the Samsung, and will go to Panasonic if I have to. Your response is not helpful at all though.

I have had 7 different 2011 plasma TVs (3 of the same sets on 2 occasions) and feel I can objectively tell you what level of buzzing I feel is acceptable. This is a known issue with the Samsung TVs and I was simply asking if someone (objectively) can tell me if the 2012 sets exhibit the same issue.

Well, I never had the D series to compare my buzzing E series to, but i can tell you that my C series didnt have am audible buzz (unless u put your head in back of the tv). This new E buzz is not too loud but when i sit in certain areas of the living room i can hear it. Even with the volume at a moderate volume. Its enough that ultimately i am returning the set, Im just trying to figure out if i want a new one of these or not.

#620 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 /forum/post/21911173

I guess if you have no problems with your new e series great, I love mine. If you do notice " problems" then get advise here, if you don't like the advice or you are still "bothered" exchange your set for a new one, or a different manufacturer, but please don't keep repeating the same old crap, it makes it seem as if you are intentionally bashing the tv or manufacturer ,just get a different set , and then maybe you will be happy. (maybe not). I know ' we all know' there is no perfect tv, and we discuss all the imperfections, but please guys this horse is D E A D and about to disintergrate. Some people notice "pops" some don't, there is also the camera flashes -that do account for some of those seeing " pops". I Hope that anyone visiting this thread for the first time undestands that there are some people that are very very particular about their sets pq, and what is being discussed here in most caese of the - average joe - would never be a problem. Anyway, back to the discussion. ENJOY !!

GOD BLESS

tony

Wow, do you work for Samsung?!

These sets are not intended for the "average joe". They are supposed to be "videophile" quality so i think its natural that many of us are going to be very picky. I have said before i absolutely love the PQ of these sets (aside from these issues).

I am not trying to bash Samsung. I am a fan of their products and they have stood by thier products when defective, and provided me with good customer service.

I am glad for you that you have a panel that is issue free. Hopefully my replacement will be as well.

#621 ·
Well I went from the 63C7000 to the 64E7000 and i can now say I know what the brightness pops are. i watched 2 hockey games on the E the first game i saw nothing. the second game the other day (ans on a different channel) I could see it no problem.. I do watch a lot of horror flicks and see great blacks, no kinda pops or anything there.. I dont watch much hockey so kinda wierd i could see the pops on one channel but not the other.

I did watch a few 3D flicks and the 3D looked great i thought.

#623 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgon74 /forum/post/21915297

Enough with the brightness pops..

Start a brightness pops thread if you want rant all day about.. Otherwise get a LED panel and shut it.

Still awaiting professional reviews....!

Very helpful. Thanks. For some silly reason I thought the whole point of buying a plasma was for those of us who are really picky. Thus, why I bought a plasma instead of an LCD.

#624 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais /forum/post/21915030

my pn60e8000 will be here wednesday i will look for this effect

If there a blue ray that you have and you can tell me the chapter and where i could fast forward to that spot. ill try to see if it happens on my tv and i could let you know. i have a Thor 3d blu-ray that one is a dark lite one or the harry potter 3d part one and part two both of those seem real dark movies???? would this help you?

i know it sucks to buy something this expensive and not be happy.

Well I've been watching lots of Battlestar Galactica the last few weeks on my D7000 (the new series not '78) and I've been noticing tons of these pops during all of the episodes. I don't know if you're a fan but really any dark film should show off the pops if your set is experiencing them (there's lots of bright scenes too but that series definitely has lots of dark scenes to make the pops known). I would imagine this applies to the new E series as well so I would be interested in hearing your experience.

I'm also looking forward to CNET's review. They have made amendments to their review for the D series early this year to reflect the brightness pops they previously didn't notice. As such, I'd guess hopefully they will pay close attention to that issue for their E series review, since they are now aware of the issue. I really do hope it has been taken care of, because contrary to what some believe I think, I feel these sets are just amazing, but what seems like a small issue to some can easily be a major flaw for others. If it turns out that the E series does in fact deal with the issue, I'll be a proud owner of the E7000. So I'm certainly not bashing Samsung, I'm just frustrated, especially at the thought that this year's models may not have solved the problem.

#625 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 /forum/post/21915472

Well I've been watching lots of Battlestar Galactica the last few weeks on my D7000 (the new series not '78) and I've been noticing tons of these pops during all of the episodes. I don't know if you're a fan but really any dark film should show off the pops if your set is experiencing them (there's lots of bright scenes too but that series definitely has lots of dark scenes to make the pops known). I would imagine this applies to the new E series as well so I would be interested in hearing your experience.

I'm also looking forward to CNET's review. They have made amendments to their review for the D series early this year to reflect the brightness pops they previously didn't notice. As such, I'd guess hopefully they will pay close attention to that issue for their E series review, since they are now aware of the issue. I really do hope it has been taken care of, because contrary to what some believe I think, I feel these sets are just amazing, but what seems like a small issue to some can easily be a major flaw for others. If it turns out that the E series does in fact deal with the issue, I'll be a proud owner of the E7000. So I'm certainly not bashing Samsung, I'm just frustrated, especially at the thought that this year's models may not have solved the problem.

i don't have battle star but i will find a dark blu-ray and try im getting a pn60e8000 not sure if it will act like an e7000 but ill try and let you know

#628 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstew419 /forum/post/0

Watched the dark knight on the pn60e8000 tons of dark scenes.

No POPS.

At this point I'm ready to just enjoy what I have!

Could you try to watch your e8000 in a complete dark room with zero lights in order to provide feedbacks on the black levek? What about the new black pro filter in such conditions ? Thanks in advance !

#629 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais /forum/post/0

i don't have battle star but i will find a dark blu-ray and try im getting a pn60e8000 not sure if it will act like an e7000 but ill try and let you know

You have Battlestar (in HD even) if you have Netflix Streaming

#630 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 /forum/post/21914918

These are exactly what I am referring to - brightness pops in dark scenes. And I live in the US.

Then call them what they are and keep it separated from the "hockey pops", it's FBr or fluctuating brightness. I believe the problem is that the hockey people and FBr people are converging due to poor communications and as a result FBr people aren't being given the recognition they deserve.

Hockey people are disappointed over having an image that is too good and instead of understanding what that means and allowing their brains to interpret information properly, they keep trying to make the image be something that it's not - the one that exists in their heads.