Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread
zoyd's Avatar zoyd 08:59 AM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Well, it would if it had the same low light output for me. 30 fL is too low. But I was able to get in the upper 30's, which is fine for light controlled environments.
I am not a fan of the Sharp Elite's color, DSE (which I found painfully obvious in hockey and even clouds in movies), or off axis behavior.

You measured 25-26 ftL with the ANSI pattern and 12 ftL with full-field which is close to what my D8000 put's out. However on small patterns I can get up to 55 ftL (45 with 10-15% windows), are you saying the E8000 is capped at 30?

Chad B's Avatar Chad B 09:39 AM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

You measured 25-26 ftL with the ANSI pattern and 12 ftL with full-field which is close to what my D8000 put's out. However on small patterns I can get up to 55 ftL (45 with 10-15% windows), are you saying the E8000 is capped at 30?

No, 30 is what Cnet got, isn't it? I got in the upper 30's.
Peyton88's Avatar Peyton88 10:11 AM 04-19-2012
From Vancouver Canada and just received my PN64E8000 last night ... i'm having trouble pairing my IR blaster to my set top box (Shaw PVR) ... any Canadians out there have a fix?

cheers and thx!

btw - NO HUMMING and PQ is AWESOME!!!
Tempest261's Avatar Tempest261 10:22 AM 04-19-2012
Chad, thanks for the shootout. I'd suggest reposting that review in its own thread- its more than worthy (that goes for the GT50 review too).

One q- do you think the GT50 would have been able to overcome the PNE8000's slightly better color if it had the added 10p white balance, CMS, etc of the VT50?
zoyd's Avatar zoyd 11:29 AM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

No, 30 is what Cnet got, isn't it? I got in the upper 30's.

yes, that was in the Cnet review but I didn't see your numbers and it looked like you were agreeing with that and hence my confusion. So upper 30's with what size window? Is that lower than the D series?
wrassie86's Avatar wrassie86 11:30 AM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

CNET seems to say conflicting statements in their review of the E8000:


"The PNE8000 is the only 2012 Samsung plasma to get the company's dual-core processor, and the only plasma that can be upgraded via the Smart Evolution feature."

"...An engineer told me that the dual-core processor on the E7000 and E8000 might improve color accuracy to a certain extent, but I doubt it's major."



So...does the E7000 have a dual processor or not?
And more confusing statements:


"Two issues from last year -- brightness pops and a black level rise in 1080p/24 material -- didn't arise in my testing"

"I did notice one unwelcome artifact however, which seemed like the brightness pops of last year but only in 3D mode...The moral, as far as I can tell, is that brightness pops are directly related to light output. Perhaps that's why Samsung limited the light output of this set in 2D mode (see above) compared to last year's model."


So "brightnesss pops" didn't arise in their tests - until they did. Which is it? If it happened only in 3D mode, then it still happened, no?

Very confusing statements.

My E7000 has the duel core and the upgrade slot on the back. The only real difference was suppose to be being able to talk or waive at the 8000.
Chad B's Avatar Chad B 12:38 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

yes, that was in the Cnet review but I didn't see your numbers and it looked like you were agreeing with that and hence my confusion. So upper 30's with what size window? Is that lower than the D series?

38 fL with a 10% window... And, shockingly, 39 fL from a 25% window! See my comment from the review below:


I experimented to see the difference in performance between small 10% sized windows and large 25% windows, and the larger windows raised the green in the white balance by about 4 to 5 percent throughout most of the brightness range. Surprisingly, light output went up a tiny bit with the larger windows.


Chad B's Avatar Chad B 12:47 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Chad, thanks for the shootout. I'd suggest reposting that review in its own thread- its more than worthy (that goes for the GT50 review too).

One q- do you think the GT50 would have been able to overcome the PNE8000's slightly better color if it had the added 10p white balance, CMS, etc of the VT50?

Some.

The difference in whites tones, with the GT50 being more bluish/lavendar and the E8000 being greener despite both sets being calibrated, would not be changed. That seems to be a result of ABL shifting the white balance with APL.

I suspect that the gamma spike at the high end may have had something to do with the slight layering oddities on bright objects and faces, and that could be fixed with a 10 pt adjustment.

On the other hand, I don't think CMS would add much since all the colors, esp red, measured so well.
bargervais's Avatar bargervais 12:55 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrassie86 View Post

My E7000 has the duel core and the upgrade slot on the back. The only real difference was suppose to be being able to talk or waive at the 8000.


another difference is the Clear Image Panel and the Smart Touch Remote
and like you said the camera and Signature Interaction

i received mine a PN60E8000 yesterday from amazon this set has NO BUZZ OR HUMMMM whatso ever.
i used david's calibration for the movie mode and i didn't like it, it looks too brownish but im not a big fan of warm2 at all. i use the standard picture mode and just messed around with brightness contrast and put sharpeness to 0 i used Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray] for help, and i'll keep messing with it like i do with my D8000 LED
i tell you this tv is amazing and the color i love. and you cannot compare it to an LED. i have both so if you want your plasma to look like an led then just go and buy an led.
one thing im disappionted in is the smart hub does not have HBO GO right now??? no sure if they have to write some code or something for that app to work in the smart hub? does anyone have the HBO GO app?
for people that are on the fence about buying this thing just do it or wait till May and get a Panny
Chad's review was great Sammy haters will see the negative things about sammy and panny haters will see negative things about panny looks to me that what ever you can afford to get you will love. Either set is a good buy.

you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please everyone LOL enjoy what ever you get
lman12's Avatar lman12 12:56 PM 04-19-2012
Chad,

Could you please post your PNXXE8000 post calibration picuture settings so we can see how it compares to the CNET settings?
Tempest261's Avatar Tempest261 02:09 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post


Some.

The difference in whites tones, with the GT50 being more bluish/lavendar and the E8000 being greener despite both sets being calibrated, would not be changed. That seems to be a result of ABL shifting the white balance with APL.

I suspect that the gamma spike at the high end may have had something to do with the slight layering oddities on bright objects and faces, and that could be fixed with a 10 pt adjustment.

On the other hand, I don't think CMS would add much since all the colors, esp red, measured so well.

Thanks Chad. I look forward to your VT50 review
Turrican4D's Avatar Turrican4D 03:17 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 View Post

Then again i game alot and Sammy is better on ir :/

Don't forget input lag!!!
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 03:55 PM 04-19-2012
Image retention on my D7000 is absolutely awful. I can't speak of the E models obviously as I don't own one, but the 2011 is really bad.
Tomeo's Avatar Tomeo 04:16 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Image retention on my D7000 is absolutely awful. I can't speak of the E models obviously as I don't own one, but the 2011 is really bad.

I'm surprised by your comment because d8000/d7000 are said to have minimal retention compared to pana models...
Jtm79's Avatar Jtm79 04:23 PM 04-19-2012
59 and 64 inchers are supposed to be good when it comes to ir, but 51 geta alot of it. My 51D555 gets ir pretty easily but it dissappears very fast.
wrassie86's Avatar wrassie86 04:38 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

another difference is the Clear Image Panel and the Smart Touch Remote
and like you said the camera and Signature Interaction

i received mine a PN60E8000 yesterday from amazon this set has NO BUZZ OR HUMMMM whatso ever.
i used david's calibration for the movie mode and i didn't like it, it looks too brownish but im not a big fan of warm2 at all. i use the standard picture mode and just messed around with brightness contrast and put sharpeness to 0 i used Digital Video Essentials: HD Basics [Blu-ray] for help, and i'll keep messing with it like i do with my D8000 LED
i tell you this tv is amazing and the color i love. and you cannot compare it to an LED. i have both so if you want your plasma to look like an led then just go and buy an led.
one thing im disappionted in is the smart hub does not have HBO GO right now??? no sure if they have to write some code or something for that app to work in the smart hub? does anyone have the HBO GO app?
for people that are on the fence about buying this thing just do it or wait till May and get a Panny
Chad's review was great Sammy haters will see the negative things about sammy and panny haters will see negative things about panny looks to me that what ever you can afford to get you will love. Either set is a good buy.

you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please everyone LOL enjoy what ever you get

I'm not so sure the panels are different, i know they were on the C and D models. But even the E6500 is listed as having the Real Black Pro Panel, per samsungs site, I looked on a few other sites and did'nt see anything about the 8000 having a different panel than the 7000 or 6500. just the few extra features. the 6500 seems to have the almost the same features as the 7000, just no duel core. I did do a comparison on samsungs site between the 6500 and 8000 and nothing about the screens being different that could see.
deria's Avatar deria 05:38 PM 04-19-2012
I see that Samsung has posted a firmware update, and with the update it lists the changes -- is there a way to see what previous firmware updates contained? ie: current is 1016.x but there was a 1015.x before that so its changes arent listed on the download site since its not available anymore.
lennyp's Avatar lennyp 06:10 PM 04-19-2012
Got my replacement PN64E8000 today to replace my buzzer. I guess they thought I said I wanted a buzzer cause this one is worse. I'm at a loss as I really like the picture on this set ... guess I might go for number three or gag switch to a quieter set (LED) as Panasonic is way to slow to market.
wattheF's Avatar wattheF 06:16 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post

Got my replacement PN64E8000 today to replace my buzzer. I guess they thought I said I wanted a buzzer cause this one is worse. I'm at a loss as I really like the picture on this set ... guess I might go for number three or gag switch to a quieter set (LED) as Panasonic is way to slow to market.

Are the GT50's available yet?
wrassie86's Avatar wrassie86 06:23 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

I see that Samsung has posted a firmware update, and with the update it lists the changes -- is there a way to see what previous firmware updates contained? ie: current is 1016.x but there was a 1015.x before that so its changes arent listed on the download site since its not available anymore.

I'm 90% sure the wording you see now for the 1016 was the same wording for 1015. execpt for- Description Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices. was added.
deria's Avatar deria 06:39 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrassie86 View Post

I'm 90% sure the wording you see now for the 1016 was the same wording for 1015. execpt for- Description Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices. was added.

Ah, perhaps its cumulative then and they'll just add to the same release notes over time.
eagle_2's Avatar eagle_2 06:53 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomeo View Post

I'm surprised by your comment because d8000/d7000 are said to have minimal retention compared to pana models...

That's why when I hear "minimal image retention" I take it with a grain of salt. Even just a few minutes displaying a calibration screen will etch the image onto the screen for a while. In fact, I watched a 2 hour film with subtitles and after it was over I saw a strange jumbled area on screen afterwards for the rest of the day - it turns out it was the area where the subtitles appeared, which left a messy area etched onto the screen where the subtitles appeared for 2 hours. I also see right away where the black bars were if I watch 4:3 or 2:35:1 material. The bars stay for quite a while. In fact, since I vary my programming quite a bit, I'm always seeing some leftover bars from my previous viewing, either the sides or top and bottom. This is with CNET's settings.

Again, that's my experience with the D series, not the E. I'm just mentioning it because if the image retention this year is the same as last year, then that's not so great as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, regardless of what is said, I think IR is still an issue to worry about with plasma.
Jtm79's Avatar Jtm79 07:17 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

That's why when I hear "minimal image retention" I take it with a grain of salt. Even just a few minutes displaying a calibration screen will etch the image onto the screen for a while. In fact, I watched a 2 hour film with subtitles and after it was over I saw a strange jumbled area on screen afterwards for the rest of the day - it turns out it was the area where the subtitles appeared, which left a messy area etched onto the screen where the subtitles appeared for 2 hours. I also see right away where the black bars were if I watch 4:3 or 2:35:1 material. The bars stay for quite a while. In fact, since I vary my programming quite a bit, I'm always seeing some leftover bars from my previous viewing, either the sides or top and bottom. This is with CNET's settings.

Again, that's my experience with the D series, not the E. I'm just mentioning it because if the image retention this year is the same as last year, then that's not so great as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, regardless of what is said, I think IR is still an issue to worry about with plasma.

Im guessing you have 51 inch model? Sounds pretty normal. 59/64 should be a lot better.
LarryInRI's Avatar LarryInRI 07:30 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

That's why when I hear "minimal image retention" I take it with a grain of salt. Even just a few minutes displaying a calibration screen will etch the image onto the screen for a while. In fact, I watched a 2 hour film with subtitles and after it was over I saw a strange jumbled area on screen afterwards for the rest of the day - it turns out it was the area where the subtitles appeared, which left a messy area etched onto the screen where the subtitles appeared for 2 hours. I also see right away where the black bars were if I watch 4:3 or 2:35:1 material. The bars stay for quite a while. In fact, since I vary my programming quite a bit, I'm always seeing some leftover bars from my previous viewing, either the sides or top and bottom. This is with CNET's settings.

Again, that's my experience with the D series, not the E. I'm just mentioning it because if the image retention this year is the same as last year, then that's not so great as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, regardless of what is said, I think IR is still an issue to worry about with plasma.


I have no, zero, nada image retention on my 64D7000. I watch all aspect ratios -- a lot of 4:3 and subtitled material. There has never been any temporary image retention. Are you by chance viewing in Dynamic mode with cell and contrast maxed out?

Oh, yes, what is holding you up from applying the floating brightness firmware fix? It really does work.

Larry
tonyjd40's Avatar tonyjd40 07:48 PM 04-19-2012
I have the 4100 glasses and the 3050 glasses, both pair (actually 2 of each) fit very well, and are very light. 3D, on the e8000 is as good as you will see , imho. I just watched happy feet 2 and it was incredible. The only difference I can see in the 3050 vs the 4100 is the 4100 are thinner and a tad lighter, thats it. I had the 3100 glasses also, although I liked the sides being blocked , I really think in all honestly the 3D is better with the 3050's and 4100's. I really didn't have as much of a problem with the sides as I thought. I watch 3D in a totally dark room. Also, the 4100's are only $20. per pair !!


GOD BLESS

TONY
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 08:41 PM 04-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 View Post

59 and 64 inchers are supposed to be good when it comes to ir, but 51 geta alot of it. My 51D555 gets ir pretty easily but it dissappears very fast.

Pretty broad brush you're painting with. How many are you personally familiar with? No IR issues on mine (PN59D8000), nor that many complaints about IR on the Samsungs that I've seen even here in the forums...where you're much more likely to see a complaint than satisfaction.
Turrican4D's Avatar Turrican4D 01:16 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

I was disappointed to still see slight banding on a gray ramp even after careful calibration, indicating some ABL induced grayscale tracking issues that will vary with picture content.

Sounds familiar.

I still have the german version of the LG PK350 and it did exactly the same. I also saw the bandings (drastic differences from one shade to another, blue bands, green bands and colorneutral bands) in movie content.

The calibration was a real pain in the ass, but I found, at least for my PK350 cinemazommed 1/4-pattern to be the right solution. Afterwards I had to do some afterwork with the BDs of "The Fog" (checking 55IRE up to 100IRE) , "The Incredibles" (10IRE to 35IRE) and the curtainscene of "DVE HD Basics" with IRE50.

In the end there were only five IREs out of the isf-20point system, that needed correction, which meant one click red more or one click green less. I forgot with which movie I corrected IRE5, but I must say that I look forward to OLED to finally get rid of this damn ABL introduced inaccuraties.
Malleus's Avatar Malleus 07:30 AM 04-20-2012
Is HBO GO supported on DNE7000? David apparently had an email into Samsung about this but I didn't see this addressed in his CNET review.

I know Smart TV GUI has individual apps like You Tube and Hulu but does the web browser itself support Flash and other video files? The web browser is fully functional, right? Or is it crippled, like the one on PS3?

Thanks.
Gstrein's Avatar Gstrein 07:54 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus View Post

Is HBO GO supported on DNE7000? David apparently had an email into Samsung about this but I didn't see this addressed in his CNET review.

I know Smart TV GUI has individual apps like You Tube and Hulu but does the web browser itself support Flash and other video files? The web browser is fully functional, right? Or is it crippled, like the one on PS3?

Thanks.

I don't know if this will answer your question specific to the E7000 but if you haven't seen Samsung's details: http://www.samsung.com/us/appstore/app/G00001472450


pioneer 1985's Avatar pioneer 1985 09:14 AM 04-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

That's why when I hear "minimal image retention" I take it with a grain of salt. Even just a few minutes displaying a calibration screen will etch the image onto the screen for a while. In fact, I watched a 2 hour film with subtitles and after it was over I saw a strange jumbled area on screen afterwards for the rest of the day - it turns out it was the area where the subtitles appeared, which left a messy area etched onto the screen where the subtitles appeared for 2 hours. I also see right away where the black bars were if I watch 4:3 or 2:35:1 material. The bars stay for quite a while. In fact, since I vary my programming quite a bit, I'm always seeing some leftover bars from my previous viewing, either the sides or top and bottom. This is with CNET's settings.

Again, that's my experience with the D series, not the E. I'm just mentioning it because if the image retention this year is the same as last year, then that's not so great as far as I'm concerned. Honestly, regardless of what is said, I think IR is still an issue to worry about with plasma.

for some reason the 51 inch versions have suffered from image retention over the past couple of years while the 59's and up seem to have virtually none. that was my experience from last year, i had one 51 inch d series and three 59 inches and the 59's had no problem with image retention but the 51 did.

i tested for image retention on a 51e550 at the store and they seemed to have made it equal to the higher screen sizes. i put the set in dynamic mode and left the menu up for 20 mins then ran the white scrolling bar and there was not a hint of retention. if i did this with a d series 51 inch you would clearly see the left over image of the menu.

i would suggest you go to the store and do your own test on the tv you want but judging on the 51e550 ir seems to not be an issue this year.
Tags: Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
First ... 23  24  25 26  27  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop