post #61 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

I would take anyone's subjective impression of "clarity" or other vague picture quality comparisons with a large grain of salt. For one thing, unless they're both fully calibrated, there could be many reasons why they will look different.

We have no reason to expect much of a picture quality improvement from D to E series, and I'd be willing to bet that professional reviews will bear this out. Until then, I wouldn't be waving the E series flag quite so strongly - a single, potentially flawed qualitative observation isn't worth much.

Did you read Tempest correctly? Or am I interpreting what you wrote incorrectly?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Sorry, guess I could have been clearer. I'm not attacking anyone, in fact I think Tempest's impression is probably more accurate (which is why I quoted it). Given what we know from early reviews and Samsung claims, I find Tony's enthusiasm suprising, and comments like this could be misleading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjd40 View Post

...I can tell you that I did a side by side here at home with the D8000 and BIG DIFFERENCE in pq. The PN60E8000 is super clear and very crisp. The D8000 was great but this is alot better especially for clarity...

Tony, can you explain how you judge "clarity"? What were your viewing conditions? I'm just not aware of any deficiency in "clarity" for recent Samsung plasmas.
post #63 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 90

post #64 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

If anyone gets either of these new TV's I would really appreciate it if you could try watching some hockey and check to see if they have improved the effect that results from the ABL on the D series.

When panning from side to side on hockey games (and occasionally on basketball games) there are noticeable jumps in brightness as the cameras pan from side of the ice to the other - the crowd being in the picture towards the ends of the ice allow for the brightness to jump up due to less white being on screen. If they somehow found a way to make this effect less noticeable it would be a huge improvement for those of us that love to watch hockey.

That's a good test I think because it removes the question of whether you're seeing the in-arena strobes (and them possibly freaking out the ABL).

If you are getting nasty brightness fluctuations from the shift of the large chunk of white (the rink), then basically what we know is that aggressive ABL is, in fact, ruining the viewing experience on plasmas -- still -- for certain content.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #65 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah, my D7000 is definitely the best TV I've ever seen in a home environment (never seen a Kuro or VT30) but watching hockey on it can be somewhat distracting and is my one disappointment with the set. I would have thought that they could have changed some settings to make the ABL fluctuations less noticeable and drastic.

If they somehow managed to improve that on the E series I might consider selling my current set and upgrading at the end of the year. I'm interested to find out.
post #66 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 02:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMUdukes07 View Post

When panning from side to side on hockey games (and occasionally on basketball games) there are noticeable jumps in brightness as the cameras pan from side of the ice to the other - the crowd being in the picture towards the ends of the ice allow for the brightness to jump up due to less white being on screen. If they somehow found a way to make this effect less noticeable it would be a huge improvement for those of us that love to watch hockey.

Thanks.

yes i hate ABL (automatic brightnes limiter), it's a terrible plasma "feature" and i am hoping they remove/lessen it with E series
post #67 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Guys, look . It is this simple. I OWN this tv and I give my impressions. I am not the all awesome goto guy for pq on tv's but I know and understand what I am looking for and can judge a display's pq. If you guys want to sit there and post " to take it with a grain of salt" - whatever, I have the tv in my home, do you ? We know viewing in bb is not a very good environment. Some of you ask for impressions and what people think of the tv's they get and then you sit there and critisize there review. I gave an honest review and I expect a little bit of repspect. I actually have this tv in my home, but someone who does not have the tv, or saw it in best buy is going to critisize my review and say things like that, really !
I describe clarity as a clear , clean picture with no dirty screen effect or other imperfections. This tv is a top notch tv. I really don't get upset often but I took my time and checked all of the things I said, I didn't just write it for the hell of it. If you wish not to belive my post then fine , buy your own tv and do your own test and then post, but please do not put down my attempt to help others. If you guys sheshic and avidhiker want to start a CALIBRATED PNXXE8000 review go ahead, I would look forward to it. However this is not such a thread. This is a SAMSUNG PNXXE7000 PNXXE8000 OWNERS THREAD !

god bless
Icon13 likes this.

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #68 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Sorry, guess I could have been clearer. I'm not attacking anyone, in fact I think Tempest's impression is probably more accurate (which is why I quoted it). Given what we know from early reviews and Samsung claims, I find Tony's enthusiasm suprising, and comments like this could be misleading...

Tony, can you explain how you judge "clarity"? What were your viewing conditions? I'm just not aware of any deficiency in "clarity" for recent Samsung plasmas.

I did not say that they had a deficiency in clarity - I said that clarity was better this year as described in above post. The images are very clear and crips, no dirty screen effect etc.... sorry if i confused you, that was not my intent.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #69 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

We all know there will be differences from panel to panel. I have no buzzing, I noticed another person has no buzzing, yet 1 person notices buzzing. This is common. I appreciate all views .

god bless

tonyjd40
post #70 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I did not say that they had a deficiency in clarity - I said that clarity was better this year as described in above post. The images are very clear and crips, no dirty screen effect etc.... sorry if i confused you, that was not my intent.

god bless

Not to be accusatory, but didn't you say that they took your D8000 away? If so, how did you do a side-by-side comparison? Just curious...

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #71 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 04:35 PM

congrats to you tonyjd40 ... i too have purchased the E8000 but have not yet received it. I dont think anyone in Canada will be getting the set for another 2 weeks. I'm hoping I will receive mine before the Masters event

When you purchased your set, did you buy extended warranty?

Any pics you can share.

Thanks in advance!

P
post #72 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Guys, look . It is this simple. I OWN this tv and I give my impressions. I am not the all awesome goto guy for pq on tv's but I know and understand what I am looking for and can judge a display's pq. If you guys want to sit there and post " to take it with a grain of salt" - whatever, I have the tv in my home, do you ? We know viewing in bb is not a very good environment. Some of you ask for impressions and what people think of the tv's they get and then you sit there and critisize there review. I gave an honest review and I expect a little bit of repspect. I actually have this tv in my home, but someone who does not have the tv, or saw it in best buy is going to critisize my review and say things like that, really !
I describe clarity as a clear , clean picture with no dirty screen effect or other imperfections. This tv is a top notch tv. I really don't get upset often but I took my time and checked all of the things I said, I didn't just write it for the hell of it. If you wish not to belive my post then fine , buy your own tv and do your own test and then post, but please do not put down my attempt to help others. If you guys sheshic and avidhiker want to start a CALIBRATED PNXXE8000 review go ahead, I would look forward to it. However this is not such a thread. This is a SAMSUNG PNXXE7000 PNXXE8000 OWNERS THREAD !

god bless

Id have to agree with you! Getting advice from a product that someone has in their own possesion in their home is as close as one can get as far as knowing PQ difference between 2 panels.Everyone has their own querks over certain tv's from A-Z.Before i purchased the Samsung D8000,I viewed both the Samsung and Panasonic VT series at BB.I purchased the Samsung and my brother purchased the Panasonic and I will tell you NEITHER of the sets compared to the same viewing at BB,PQ is far more precise in a home enviroment.I can upgrade to a E series 64E8000 at no charge from Samsung,so its not a matter of paying extra for a tv that is the same as the D series.Tony,thank you for your input as I dont see a reason why I SHOULDNT takes Samsungs offer to have my D series exchanged for an E series,The E series can only be better,by what percetage?It doesnt matter!
post #73 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroptop View Post

Id have to agree with you! Getting advice from a product that someone has in their own possesion in their home is as close as one can get as far as knowing PQ difference between 2 panels.Everyone has their own querks over certain tv's from A-Z.Before i purchased the Samsung D8000,I viewed both the Samsung and Panasonic VT series at BB.I purchased the Samsung and my brother purchased the Panasonic and I will tell you NEITHER of the sets compared to the same viewing at BB,PQ is far more precise in a home enviroment.I can upgrade to a E series 64E8000 at no charge from Samsung,so its not a matter of paying extra for a tv that is the same as the D series.Tony,thank you for your input as I dont see a reason why I SHOULDNT takes Samsungs offer to have my D series exchanged for an E series,The E series can only be better,by what percetage?It doesnt matter!

Oh if Samsung is offering you a free upgrade to the E model then absolutely you should do it. It would be silly not to, IMO.

May I ask, why are they taking back your D8000?

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #74 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Not to be accusatory, but didn't you say that they took your D8000 away? If so, how did you do a side-by-side comparison? Just curious...

yes, they took my PN59D8000 AND GAVE ME THE PN60E8000, comparison is on my PN51D8000 (in daughters bed room ). I want the 64inch for our living room, the 60 inch in my daughters play room and, then 1 more for our bed room. I know lots of tv, but it was time to upgrade.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #75 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton88 View Post

congrats to you tonyjd40 ... i too have purchased the E8000 but have not yet received it. I dont think anyone in Canada will be getting the set for another 2 weeks. I'm hoping I will receive mine before the Masters event

When you purchased your set, did you buy extended warranty?

Any pics you can share.

Thanks in advance!

P

Yes working on the pics and a short video but camcorder is not cooperating . As for the extended warranty - yes but do yourself a favor, buy it straight from samsung. Then there is NO confusion. I think I paid $258 ( or close to it ) for 3 years from samsung and it covers parts / labor and replacement. Not sure that other warranty companies offer replacement. (if they can not fix problem).

god bless

tonyjd40
post #76 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:

yes, they took my PN59D8000 AND GAVE ME THE PN60E8000, comparison is on my PN51D8000 (in daughters bed room ). I want the 64inch for our living room, the 60 inch in my daughters play room and, then 1 more for our bed room. I know lots of tv, but it was time to upgrade.

god bless

The 51D8000 was reported to measure slightly differently than the 59 and 64 D8000 panels for whatever that may be worth. Believe the difference was slight with slightly better black levels on the bigger screens.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #77 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

Yes working on the pics and a short video but camcorder is not cooperating . As for the extended warranty - yes but do yourself a favor, buy it straight from samsung. Then there is NO confusion. I think I paid $258 ( or close to it ) for 3 years from samsung and it covers parts / labor and replacement. Not sure that other warranty companies offer replacement. (if they can not fix problem).

They certainly do offer replacement (or cash equal to your original purchase) if the TV cannot be repaired. They don't take your money and then say 'tough luck' -- although they might like to. Check out the policies from other the warranty companies. They are published on-line.

Larry
post #78 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The 51D8000 was reported to measure slightly differently than the 59 and 64 D8000 panels for whatever that may be worth. Believe the difference was slight with slightly better black levels on the bigger screens.

yes, you are correct. The 59 and 64 inch sizes had moderately better black levels. All in all, the PNEXX8000 is a great tv, and I just can't explain how crisp and clear the images are, you just need to see it. With that in mind I can tell you my PN60E8000 looks alot better than the ones in best buy. I did also use the Disney"WOW" calibration disc. I can only imagine how much better this will be when D-nice calibrates this tv. ENJOY.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #79 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

They certainly do offer replacement (or cash equal to your original purchase) if the TV cannot be repaired. They don't take your money and then say 'tough luck' -- although they might like to. Check out the policies from other the warranty companies. They are published on-line.

Larry

Thank you LarryInRI, I was not sure if they covered replacement, I just thought they did parts and labor. Are there any policies you have used or would reccomend ? I heard of MACK and SQUARE TRADE , are they reputable ?

god bless

tonyjd40
post #80 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by realzven View Post

+1 :d

THANK YOU, Mr. Lang for fixing the thread name for the 2nd time.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #81 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:

yes, you are correct. The 59 and 64 inch sizes had moderately better black levels. All in all, the PNEXX8000 is a great tv, and I just can't explain how crisp and clear the images are, you just need to see it. With that in mind I can tell you my PN60E8000 looks alot better than the ones in best buy. I did also use the Disney"WOW" calibration disc. I can only imagine how much better this will be when D-nice calibrates this tv. ENJOY.

god bless

Oh, I can tell you like your new set. Have you watched much 3D yet? Did you have to tweak much from stock settings in using the WOW disc? I've yet to calibrate my set, but did get a Calman setup, just got to find the time/patience to do it!

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #82 of 4344 Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Oh, I can tell you like your new set. Have you watched much 3D yet? Did you have to tweak much from stock settings in using the WOW disc? I've yet to calibrate my set, but did get a Calman setup, just got to find the time/patience to do it!

I wouldn't say I tweaked it alot, just ran the disk and it took about 45 minutes. I did change the movie , standard and relax presets. As far as 3d, yes I have watched Imax "under the sea" - Avatar - Alice in wonderland - Tangled - and Megamind so far. The 3d is really great on this set. I still can't get over how real the eel in the Imax movie looks as it is swimming towards you, it looks as if it is really between the tv and you, just incredible. The flowers during the closing of Alice in wonderland look so real as they are blooming. I think you will be amazed after you do your calibration. The new 3d glasses brighten the images in 3d alot- don't know if it is cause of the glasses or the tv itself or combination of both but it is much brighter in 3d than the d8000. Enjoy.

Oh, I did my 3d settings in relax , so those presetings changed alot. I did some 3d gaming and it was great, but non 3d gaming (Infamous 2) looked very good. I was surprised it looked as good as it did, almost like a story book coming to life with bright colors deep black and no blur with all the fast motion and combination of dark area's and very light spots (like when you shoot electric bolts or gernades). I was very impressed with it.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #83 of 4344 Old 03-22-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

god bless

I simply said I was suprised by your enthusiasm - your choice of language would suggest that Samsung has done something really special with the E series and yet there is no indication of this elsewhere. Sorry, but just because this is an "owners" thread doesn't mean I can't come here and question things. I was trying to understand what you were seeing, but what you describe seems too vague and subjective to get anything meaningful out of it. You may carry on, unmolested...
post #84 of 4344 Old 03-22-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I wouldn't say I tweaked it alot, just ran the disk and it took about 45 minutes. I did change the movie , standard and relax presets. As far as 3d, yes I have watched Imax "under the sea" - Avatar - Alice in wonderland - Tangled - and Megamind so far. The 3d is really great on this set. I still can't get over how real the eel in the Imax movie looks as it is swimming towards you, it looks as if it is really between the tv and you, just incredible. The flowers during the closing of Alice in wonderland look so real as they are blooming. I think you will be amazed after you do your calibration. The new 3d glasses brighten the images in 3d alot- don't know if it is cause of the glasses or the tv itself or combination of both but it is much brighter in 3d than the d8000. Enjoy.

Oh, I did my 3d settings in relax , so those presetings changed alot. I did some 3d gaming and it was great, but non 3d gaming (Infamous 2) looked very good. I was surprised it looked as good as it did, almost like a story book coming to life with bright colors deep black and no blur with all the fast motion and combination of dark area's and very light spots (like when you shoot electric bolts or gernades). I was very impressed with it.

god bless

Thanks Tony. I'm glad to hear that the new sets have brighter 3D. Besides the pops, that was the only thing I didn't like about the D series.
post #85 of 4344 Old 03-22-2012, 11:56 AM

plyz more photo PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000
post #86 of 4344 Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:

god bless

Hi Tony,
Please could you tell me if you think the Clearer image your seeing could be the new 'Clear Image Panel' that seems to be on the E8 series but not the 7 or 6500 series ?.
I am from the UK so there is still nothing to go on as Samsung are very tight lipped thus far over here .

Thanks.
post #87 of 4344 Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

avidhiker, did'nt mean to be mean. It was late and I should have understood you better. sorry. I think there is a big difference in pq between the D and E series. Now, that is my perspective. I would say 3d is much better,(it was really great in D series, but it was alittle dim) the picture is brighter , especially when viewing through the 3D glasses. 3D is important to me cause I do enjoy it, and my daughter (9 years old) was the reason I bought these new tv's to begin with. Anyway, I muc prefer the E series, now if when a professional calibrator gets thier hands on one of these , if they say it is similar to the D series, I obviously would not argue. I can only comment on what I can observe , and I do not own the meters needed to do a comprehensive review.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #88 of 4344 Old 03-22-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post

Hi Tony,
Please could you tell me if you think the Clearer image your seeing could be the new 'Clear Image Panel' that seems to be on the E8 series but not the 7 or 6500 series ?.
I am from the UK so there is still nothing to go on as Samsung are very tight lipped thus far over here .

Thanks.

Ok, barring any differences I do not know about between the sets in uk, v sets in us, I would attribute most of the brightness on the E series to the ' CLEAR IMAGE PANEL' now if that is what is also making the 3D much brighter, your guess is as good as mine. I think some of the 3D brightness is due to the new glasses for 2012, as they are also able to view 3D on panasonic and sony tv's - 2012 model. The clear images and what I am describing as 'clarity' may indeed be due to the 'clear image panel' . The screen does not exhibit "dirty screen effect" - that cloudy looking dullness. Also this tv just has a crispness that really allows you to see even the finest detail very clearly. I had tons of info on all the samsungs on another site, if you wish , pm me and I can get all the info you wish on all the new E series tv's. ENJOY.

god bless

tonyjd40
post #89 of 4344 Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Ok, barring any differences I do not know about between the sets in uk, v sets in us, I would attribute most of the brightness on the E series to the ' CLEAR IMAGE PANEL' now if that is what is also making the 3D much brighter, your guess is as good as mine. I think some of the 3D brightness is due to the new glasses for 2012, as they are also able to view 3D on panasonic and sony tv's - 2012 model. The clear images and what I am describing as 'clarity' may indeed be due to the 'clear image panel' . The screen does not exhibit "dirty screen effect" - that cloudy looking dullness. Also this tv just has a crispness that really allows you to see even the finest detail very clearly. I had tons of info on all the samsungs on another site, if you wish , pm me and I can get all the info you wish on all the new E series tv's. ENJOY.

god bless

Cheers for that. It looks like in the UK we will only get the 51" and 64" E8000, 51" and 60" E6500 but no 7 series at all, this is still to be confirmed i think though.
I am limited to a 60" panel for my position/Room/Cost. I have the 2011 3700 Glasses along with the 3100 and also tested the 3050's. What are the new 2012 Glasses for the Sammys ?.

Thanks
post #90 of 4344 Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panman40 View Post

Cheers for that. It looks like in the UK we will only get the 51" and 64" E8000, 51" and 60" E6500 but no 7 series at all, this is still to be confirmed i think though.
I am limited to a 60" panel for my position/Room/Cost. I have the 2011 3700 Glasses along with the 3100 and also tested the 3050's. What are the new 2012 Glasses for the Sammys ?.

Thanks

The new glasses are the 4100' s , not out for sale yet but you get 2 in the box with the tv. The new glasses should be at retailers soon - 1 -2 weeks. I will check on them, they say that the 3050 and the 3100 will work with 2012 sammys also.

god bless

tonyjd40
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page