Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 4343 Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrassie86 View Post

well no, Mine buzzed loud on the stand. but my tv is mounted above a fireplace and angled down enough to get a almost proper viewing angle sitting back. I think i just got lucky the buzz cant be heard now. maybe it shooting over my head, who knows. I guesse if i ever have to put it back on the stand I'd not be a happy camper.

If yours buzzed loud on the stand, then I'd bet that the buzz is now just going way over your head. For the TV to continue to be straight on after being mounted over a fireplace, I would think the angle would have to be rather significant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 4343 Old 04-25-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

wow have you gone to the retailer and listen to the ones on their floor do they buzz? and say why don't you give me one of those (if they don't buzz) give me a discount and you take mine and you deal with Samsung

They don't have any PN64E8000's on the floor. As they are a relatively brand new model, the only ones they have come across are the ones they purchased for me. I didn't buy from a big box retailer (e.g., Best Buy) - and given the issues I am having I am grateful I didn't - but per a quick google shopping search, there are very few in stock even at those types of stores.
post #873 of 4343 Old 04-25-2012, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm tried of some people saying, dismissively, "all plasmas buzz"- I'm sure they all resonate at some level, but it's pretty short-sighted to ignore the fact that there is likely to be different varying degrees of buzz.

There are some older plasma models that buzzed, but had "fixes" that included opening up the chassis and tightening down any loose screws, etc. While I'm not suggesting that anyone do that, we need to think about what the buzz actually is. It could just as easily be that while the panel itself is resonating, the *noise* that people are hearing is coming from some part of the chassis (or the entire chassis itself) resonating as well. This could explain why some people notice that the buzz is reduced when the panel is mounted on a wall: with all 4 mount points engaged (vs just a stand at the bottom), you're giving the kinetic energy someplace else to go, essentially dampening the vibration.

Anyway, I don't even own a plasma ATM, so these are all speculations on my part.

Calibration Equipment:

Meters: X-rite i1 Pro 2, X-rite i1 Display Pro

Software: Spectracal Calman DIY, ControlCAL

Televisions:

Panasonic TC-P65VT50 (currently own)
Samsung UN55D8000 (returned) Calibration and Settings Thread

Plasma IR Removal:

Post 1 - Post 2 - Post 3

post #874 of 4343 Old 04-25-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

I'm tried of some people saying, dismissively, "all plasmas buzz"- I'm sure they all resonate at some level, but it's pretty short-sighted to ignore the fact that there is likely to be different varying degrees of buzz.

There are some older plasma models that buzzed, but had "fixes" that included opening up the chassis and tightening down any loose screws, etc. While I'm not suggesting that anyone do that, we need to think about what the buzz actually is. It could just as easily be that while the panel itself is resonating, the *noise* that people are hearing is coming from some part of the chassis (or the entire chassis itself) resonating as well. This could explain why some people notice that the buzz is reduced when the panel is mounted on a wall: with all 4 mount points engaged (vs just a stand at the bottom), you're giving the kinetic energy someplace else to go, essentially dampening the vibration.

Anyway, I don't even own a plasma ATM, so these are all speculations on my part.

I'm with you on the "all plasmas" buzz thing. If I really believed that I wouldn't have even considered one (altho I had never heard that before I got one just within the few days afterward reading up on the forums).

I know a few people with plasmas, buzzing is not a complaint. The ones that get it over and over I do have to wonder if their hearing is unusual in some way or if they should just be buying lottery tickets since lady luck sits on them so much. There was a lot of moaning from those with fbr that attributed it to whole production years of a given brand and wouldn't believe when I said my set had no such issue...would just get "maybe you can't see it".

We need some real lab analysis here with some test subjects (including those that have had multiple buzzers as well as those who've not heard it, some with the fbr thing and not, etc.)...as well as sets (buzzers and no buzzers per at least their owners, throwing in a few with fbrs from each side, etc.)

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #875 of 4343 Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukecat View Post

If yours buzzed loud on the stand, then I'd bet that the buzz is now just going way over your head. For the TV to continue to be straight on after being mounted over a fireplace, I would think the angle would have to be rather significant.

Very well could be going over heads, but cant say i have heard at all walking through the room unless within a few feet of the tv. Fire place is not to big, kinda smallish and the sansus mount did 15 - 20 degree tilt. It all worked out good, pretty happy with it.
post #876 of 4343 Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

I must be lucky cause my pn51e8000 has no buzz at all. I am really impressed with the pq on this set. I watched Happy feet 2 and it was really incredible in 3D. I must say, overall I don't think there is a better tv out there. Especially, if the expansion pack is as great a thing as it is advertised to be, It will be almost like getting a new tv. I am happy with the e8000 and am still considering the pn64e8000. The only other tv I feel is a real contender is the Sharp 70 inch 874u. After rrealizing panasonic does not support flash, and Panasonic st/gt are having there own set of problems , I feel safer with the above 2 mentioned sets. I may even consider saving a few $$$ and getting the E7000, don't really need all the new features on 2 different sets.

GOD BLESS

TONY

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #877 of 4343 Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrassie86 View Post

Very well could be going over heads, but cant say i have heard at all walking through the room unless within a few feet of the tv. Fire place is not to big, kinda smallish and the sansus mount did 15 - 20 degree tilt. It all worked out good, pretty happy with it.

I had a 59D7000 that I returned because of buzzing that could only be heard in the sweet spot, center seat at ear LEVEL. This unit was mounted on the stand that came with the set. I now have the 60E series that is wall mounted. When I first wall mounted the set I though, NO BUZZING, GREAT! But after a few days of watching movies I noticed the buzzing is still there but I need my ears to be level with the bottom of the set to hear it, sort of in a half seated, half standing position. So, i took down the set installed the stand and placed it on the entertainment table where I had the D series and guess what? seated in the sweet spot, dead center, ear level I could hear the buzzing. I immediately put the set back on the wall mount. In my opinion this is unacceptable, read my posts about it in other threads, but since I cannot hear it anymore, while seated, Im going to keep the set. One more situation and ill stop beating a dead horse. My C6500 wall mounted never buzzed, but when I moved to a new house I installed the stand for a few weeks untill I could wall mount it, and guess what? BUZZZZ was all I heard. I had the option of switching brands after returning the 59D7000, and almost did, but ultimately I decided I really liked the pq on the sammie and it was a keeper.

Cheers

post #878 of 4343 Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

. . . The ones that get it over and over I do have to wonder if their hearing is unusual in some way or if they should just be buying lottery tickets since lady luck sits on them so much. There was a lot of moaning from those with fbr that attributed it to whole production years of a given brand and wouldn't believe when I said my set had no such issue...would just get "maybe you can't see it".

We need some real lab analysis here with some test subjects (including those that have had multiple buzzers as well as those who've not heard it, some with the fbr thing and not, etc.)...as well as sets (buzzers and no buzzers per at least their owners, throwing in a few with fbrs from each side, etc.)

I don't disagree regarding some sort of scientific analysis of the buzz. After now being 0 for 3, my pessimistic suspicion is that at least the majority of those with the PN64E8000 that say their TV doesn't have a distracting buzz has the TV mounted or positioned in such a way that it isn't angled directly to eye/ear level.

All I can offer at this point is admittedly anecdotal evidence, but that includes five professionals (one Samsung trained technician and four different installers from the retail seller) all of whom have every incentive in talking me into the buzz being "normal", telling me that the buzz is a problem that needs to be resolved.
post #879 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 AM

I noticed in the CNET review that the reviewre used "Screen Fit" mode instead of 16:9. Anyone know why?

I used that mode initially, but the description in the manual implies that it shows the entire frame with 0 overscan -- which seems like a good idea, but one of the Blu-Ray discs I was watching had some odd content on the left side of the screen (ie: the first few columns of pixels).

Is there a solid rationale for using Screen Fit instead of standard 16:9?
post #880 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 AM

Do you need a set top cable box or can I just hook up the coax and get all the cable Channels including HBO, Showtime, the onDemand service and all that. I have Time Warner cable and if so, I then need to figure out how I can get DVR without a cable box. I'm hooked on my DVR. Not sure if there is a way to have DVR without the box ... Or is there?
post #881 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

I noticed in the CNET review that the reviewre used "Screen Fit" mode instead of 16:9. Anyone know why?

I used that mode initially, but the description in the manual implies that it shows the entire frame with 0 overscan -- which seems like a good idea, but one of the Blu-Ray discs I was watching had some odd content on the left side of the screen (ie: the first few columns of pixels).

Screen Fit should always be used when available because it will give you 1:1 pixel mapping for bluray or any other 1080 source (16:9 mode will overscan these sources and soften the image). It will however occasionally reveal lines on the perimeter of the screen (mostly on TV commercials from what I have seen) from poorly encoded video. In the 100s of blurays I've watched with Screen Fit enabled, I have never seen these error lines.
post #882 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

I am not an expert so maybe someone on here mite correct me if im wrong, but this is what i have been told...

When watching certain content on screen fit mode you may see an occasional line or two of pixels that looks odd on one side or the other (its usually white on mt tv). This is because in screen fit mode the TV is showing you everything that is intended to be seen (by the director ect.) but every once in a while it shows you just a little bit more, which is that line. That line is an actual border or guide line that is used in the processing and finishing of the footage so they know exactly what is intended to be seen in the frame.

So...Screen fit gives you zero overscan, which will also provide the best PQ because the TV is not zooming in on the image at all. The only negative is that the pixel shift option will not work in this mode. That should not be a problem after break in period as long as you vary your viewing content.

Also...If you see that line and it bothersome, you can get rid of it by using the "adjust" option in the screen fit mode. Just click it over a couple of notches until you cant see it any more.

Hope that makes sense and helps
post #883 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

That sounds possible, but I think I've read of other sources specifically related to errors when displaying certain video formats/codecs. Apparently some TV station production servers are at fault in this regard. Anyway, a quality film on bluray should NEVER have this problem.

Good tip about the screen position adjustment, that can be very handy to crop them off.
post #884 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM

Yeah I've noticed this line of pixels at the very top edge of the screen on my TV, but only on certain content. I had initially adjusted the screen position a few notches to get rid of it, but noticed it comes back on other content, sources, channels. Now that I know it may be the actual source and not the TV, I feel a better. I was starting to think my TV had a problem.
post #885 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThirdEye View Post

Yeah I've noticed this line of pixels at the very top edge of the screen on my TV, but only on certain content. I had initially adjusted the screen position a few notches to get rid of it, but noticed it comes back on other content, sources, channels. Now that I know it may be the actual source and not the TV, I feel a better. I was starting to think my TV had a problem.

You might be describing the pixel shift, too...do you have it enabled?

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #886 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, pixel shift can cause black rows of pixels at the screen edge too. If you are in screen fit mode, you can also try to reset the screen position adjustment.

I have also noticed blank rows and columns when displaying 720p from the OTA tuner. Channels which broadcast in 720p will cause the set to default to 16:9 mode (but without overscan) because it does not match the native resolution of the panel. This is for my D7000, so not certain if it will be the same for the E.
post #887 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You're seeing the VBI on broadcast content.
post #888 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Has anyone found any pro calibration settings other than the C-Net ones?
post #889 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 10:02 PM

OK. Day 2 with my PN60E8000. Avatar Blu Ray is awesome. Haven't tried 3D yet. No buzz at all. Voice recognition works pretty good as long as I turn the stereo volume down a bit first. Motion control has shown up on the display tonight a couple of times for no reason at all. Noticing a few flash pops watching the hockey game. Can't seem to activate the pixel shift options under "screen burn protection" in the menu. It says "this function is unavailable" Anybody else come across this? Still messing with features. Will post more later
post #890 of 4343 Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 PM

In my earlier "initial impressions" post, I mentioned that I would check for the hockey-pops phenomenon.

I don't see anything wrong. I watched about 20 minutes of hockey highlights -- the only changes in brightness I saw were when people took pictures during big moments (ie: exactly what I would expect to see). If you rewind, the flashes come at exactly the same time and have exactly the same duration every time.

I definitely didn't see anything remotely resembling what that YouTube video that was posted earlier showed.

I watched in standard mode because in movie mode the ice looks yellowish with the CNET callibration settings. The only change I made to the standard mode was to turn off the eco sensor and to lower the sharpness to 0. Otherwise, I left everything alone.

As far as I'm concerned, the TV showed me exactly what I would expect to see if I was sitting in the arena.

The only thing I'm having trouble getting used to with this TV is the faintly discernable flickering (due to the refresh rate). I guess I'm just sensetive to that type of issue. It seems to be a general quality of plasma, though, so I'm not worried about it. The incredible picture quality more than makes up for it.
post #891 of 4343 Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtae001 View Post

. Can't seem to activate the pixel shift options under "screen burn protection" in the menu. It says "this function is unavailable" Anybody else come across this?

You in screen fit mode?

post #892 of 4343 Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ View Post

You're seeing the VBI on broadcast content.

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure digital bradcast TV (ATSC) did away with it. Besides, all stations that broadcast 1080i are perfect in Screen Fit.

reference: http://www.atsc.org/cms/standards/a_99.pdf

page 6: "in digital systems, the VBI does not exist."
post #893 of 4343 Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM

On the PN51E8000 What picture settings should set the TV for gaming on a PS3? Or should I use the Cnet Picture setting?
post #894 of 4343 Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 AM

Hi,
Just want to let u know that we've got first review I guess
http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsun...8000_TV_review
post #895 of 4343 Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You in screen fit mode?

Yes I believe I am. I assume the option is not available in that mode. Thanks
post #896 of 4343 Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtae001 View Post

Yes I believe I am. I assume the option is not available in that mode. Thanks

Yep when an option is grayed out that is because it's not available with your current settings...if you want to use pixel shift I believe it works with all the other picture size settings. Be nice if there were a handy dandy chart from Samsung on what settings work with what...but this info isn't even shown in the manual (maybe the tv's on screen manual but I find that a pain).

post #897 of 4343 Old 04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure digital bradcast TV (ATSC) did away with it. Besides, all stations that broadcast 1080i are perfect in Screen Fit.

reference: http://www.atsc.org/cms/standards/a_99.pdf

page 6: "in digital systems, the VBI does not exist."

But content that was originally produced for NTSC and converted for broadcast in ATSC will still contain the information in the vertical blanking lines. The flicker at the top of a standard definition program (one that by definition was produced for NTSC broadcast) is the closed caption data. Until all content is created in true HD format, this VBI data will be present.

Larry
post #898 of 4343 Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah yes, I suppose that could be a problem. But I have yet to see anything like that on OTA material, nor have I seen anyone complaining about it (and all I watch is OTA). I'm not even sure what ChuckZ was suggesting, assuming it was in response to my above post regarding a couple empty rows AND columns on some OTA 720p sources. These are completely black and not visible unless scrutinized.
post #899 of 4343 Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
DirecTV HR21 & HR22 do not send out perfect 1080i signals for use with screen fit mode. I assume this is true for various cable/satellite boxes as well. Probably for more compatibility with lower end displays.
post #900 of 4343 Old 04-28-2012, 12:29 AM

Watched Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol on the PN60E8000 tonight. VERY PLEASED.

I still find the flickering thats visible during fades to black annoying, but I imagine I'll get used to it. During the movie itself, though, I was -extremely- impressed with the picture. Awesome color, nice smooth playback @ 1080p 24hz in the CinemaSmooth mode.

Tomorrow I'll dig out one of the 3d movies that I've aquired as part of bundles with 2D movies and give that a try.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread