Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2012, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my 60" E7000 yesterday and here are my first impressions. I'm coming off a 4 year old Sony Bravia LED. First thing about the Samsung is the highly reflective screen. I never thought I had a bright room but a few windows are quire prominent. I used the CNET calibration settings. I picture is very good and natural but quire darker than I am used to. I had to brighten the picture and add more color. No audio buzz at all and no picture problems.
I bought this through Amazon and it was delivered through Pilot. They were on time and even unpacked it and put it on the stand.
The high gloss screen may be an issue because my wife's seat is the worst place to view.
3D works great. Watched some things from OnDemand. Not sure how much 3D content I will watch. Don't have any young kids at home.
What brands have a matte finish? I may go to BB today to look at the Panasonics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 05:36 AM

Liked: 11
Im little surprised about these reflections. Last Year D7000/8000 were supposed to have very good antiglare filter, so now its worse? I hate reflections which my 51D555 has tons, so i guess i better get ST50 which is supposed to have better filter. Last year Samsung were on bar with Panny, i wonder why they made screens more reflective for e-series

Could some one who have seen E and D tell me is e-series really more reflective? :/
Old 05-05-2012, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sadly I decided to jump off the Samsung brand and going to try Panasonic due to three PN64E8000's causing me headaches (buzz). I know Panasonic may not be any better, but I want to try one more plasma before having to degrade to an LED - maybe I'll get a fairly quiet Panny (I'll know tonight).
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post

Sadly I decided to jump off the Samsung brand and going to try Panasonic due to three PN64E8000's causing me headaches (buzz). I know Panasonic may not be any better, but I want to try one more plasma before having to degrade to an LED - maybe I'll get a fairly quiet Panny (I'll know tonight).

i dont think LED is a downgrade i have un46d8000 and a pn60e8000 with no buzz by the way, i dont think of it as a downgrade they are just different. watching the plasma at night is great and rich and very accurate color i love watching baseball and watching movies on the plasma.
the LED IS VERY BRIGHT i reset movie mode then I keep brightness around 46 and the back light around 14 contrast at 95 sharpness 20 color at 50 black tone dark dynamic contrast low color space auto color tone standard AND I THINK ITS VERY PLEASING

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
Old 05-05-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Can those of you with a 60'' E7000 OR E8000 please post if your TV has fluctuating brightness while watching hockey? I am not talking about the camera flashes. What you should look for is the actual brightness going up and down on its own. It happens alot right after the camera pans from one side of the ice to the other.

Four different 51'' E8000's (including mine) i have checked all fluctuate during hockey. But the one 60'' E8000 i checked at store DID NOT. I am about to jump to Panasonic, but if for some reason the 60'' models don't fluctuate at all i would def. stick with Samsung.

I know many of you are sick of hearing about this issue because either you dont have the fluctuating brightness issue, dont watch hockey, or maybe just choose not to notice it. But I really do want to stick with an E series plasma it is just that the fluctuations kill it for me. It doesnt seem to make any sense but is there a chance that the bigger 60'' panels dont have the issue like the 51'' panels?

Anyone with a 60'' E series ONLY please post your findings.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

That's the brightness (power) limiter, all plasmas have it.

Ok, but i am assuming that different manufacturer's, models, and/or sizes ect. may exhibit these fluctuations to varying degree's?
I say this because of a side by side comparison of the 51''E8000 and 50''GT50 I did at the store in a dark room. With hockey, the Samsung's brightness was all over the place, and the GT did'nt fluctuate at all (at least that i could notice).
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF View Post

Ok, but i am assuming that different manufacturer's, models, and/or sizes ect. may exhibit these fluctuations to varying degree's?
I say this because of a side by side comparison of the 51''E8000 and 50''GT50 I did at the store in a dark room. With hockey, the Samsung's brightness was all over the place, and the GT did'nt fluctuate at all (at least that i could notice).

There may be variations on how aggressive ABL is among vendors and it will also depend on the contrast settings. Without measurements with both panels set at the same peak white it would be hard to determine the extent of the differences. I can say that between a GT30 and a D8000 set for moderate peak white (35 ftL) I did not measure any difference in ABL, both sets clamped full field peak white at the same level. However, the measurements I've seen on the 2012 Panny's indicate that they can achieve higher full field peak whites than last year, which implies ABL should be less noticeable on these, which is consistent with your observation.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:35 PM

Fine!! I had direct tv installed today and am now watching the capitols vs rangers. Just so I can see what u are talking about. This is on a pn60e8000:

No fluctuations. Or 'hockey pops'!! Whatsoever. Now the ice looks dingy on certain areas, but i also have my brightness turned down due to the break in period. For me it looks normal. Unfortunately I'm not a hockey fan so 10 mins of this is all I can take. Best advice go with the GT.

To everyone else, try it out for yourself. For me nothing abnormal, I also have 2 LCDs.

Quote:

Can those of you with a 60'' E7000 OR E8000 please post if your TV has fluctuating brightness while watching hockey? I am not talking about the camera flashes. What you should look for is the actual brightness going up and down on its own. It happens alot right after the camera pans from one side of the ice to the other.

Four different 51'' E8000's (including mine) i have checked all fluctuate during hockey. But the one 60'' E8000 i checked at store DID NOT. I am about to jump to Panasonic, but if for some reason the 60'' models don't fluctuate at all i would def. stick with Samsung.

I know many of you are sick of hearing about this issue because either you dont have the fluctuating brightness issue, dont watch hockey, or maybe just choose not to notice it. But I really do want to stick with an E series plasma it is just that the fluctuations kill it for me. It doesnt seem to make any sense but is there a chance that the bigger 60'' panels dont have the issue like the 51'' panels?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd View Post

There may be variations on how aggressive ABL is among vendors and it will also depend on the contrast settings. Without measurements with both panels set at the same peak white it would be hard to determine the extent of the differences. I can say that between a GT30 and a D8000 set for moderate peak white (35 ftL) I did not measure any difference in ABL, both sets clamped full field peak white at the same level. However, the measurements I've seen on the 2012 Panny's indicate that they can achieve higher full field peak whites than last year, which implies ABL should be less noticeable on these, which is consistent with your observation.

Thanks. It is good to hear a pro's opinion (based on technical information/data) back up what i have seen with my own eyes.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstew419 View Post

Fine!! I had direct tv installed today and am now watching the capitols vs rangers. Just so I can see what u are talking about. This is on a pn60e8000:

No fluctuations. Or 'hockey pops'!! Whatsoever. Now the ice looks dingy on certain areas, but i also have my brightness turned down due to the break in period. For me it looks normal. Unfortunately I'm not a hockey fan so 10 mins of this is all I can take. Best advice go with the GT.

To everyone else, try it out for yourself. For me nothing abnormal, I also have 2 LCDs.

Interesting, and thanks for suffering through some hockey for me.

Anyone else?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i also have directv video feeds through my ONKYO RECEIVER TO MY
pn60e8000 no pops or brightness fluctuation and no buzzing.

My main setup PN60E8000 / Directv genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray Onkyo TX-NR 1030 7.2.4 /Onkyo M-5010 Amplifier for top middle Bic Acoustech speakers,MICCA M-8S FH/TM on wall / in ceiling speakers 2 Bic F12 subs
MY 10' X 15' DEN PN51F5500 / Directv Genie / Panasonic 3D blu-ray / Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2 Atmos Bose 161 top front on Ceiling Speakers
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM

NP. I turned back for another 10 mins. and I did see a flash, but it had to have been from a camera. The instant replay showed the flash from a different angle and the protective glass showed it also.

So at this point I think it's safe to assume I'm not getting the pops.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

NP. I turned back for another 10 mins. and I did see a flash, but it had to have been from a camera. The instant replay showed the flash from a different angle and the protective glass showed it also.

So at this point I think it's safe to assume I'm not getting the pops.

i see the same thing and i see it on my un46d8000 LED camera flashes are all i see

Old 05-05-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

i see the same thing and i see it on my un46d8000 LED camera flashes are all i see

what size/model E series plasma do you own?
Old 05-05-2012, 01:24 PM

Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

i had this issue with last years d series, i went through 4 of these sets and all had the same issue and it showed on all content. i was hoping to get a e series this year thinking they wont have this issue and went to the store when some of the sets were out to test the issue and found it exhibited the same problem as the d series.

i now have a st50 and the fluctuating brightness does not occur at all even with contrast turned up and the image is stable. note that i have the uk version.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer 1985 View Post

i had this issue with last years d series, i went through 4 of these sets and all had the same issue and it showed on all content. i was hoping to get a e series this year thinking they wont have this issue and went to the store when some of the sets were out to test the issue and found it exhibited the same problem as the d series.

i now have a st50 and the fluctuating brightness does not occur at all even with contrast turned up and the image is stable. note that i have the uk version.

Thanks. In your opinion, how is the PQ of you ST as compared to last years Samsung's (fluctuating brightness issues aside)?
Old 05-05-2012, 03:34 PM

I just received a PN64E8000 that replaced an PN64D8000 because of the buzzing, but to my disappointment the PNE8000 buzzes a little louder and I have noticed a weird horizontal banding all over the screen (see pic). The strange thing about this banding is that I see it even when turned off and in dark scenes, so frustrating.

I dont know if I should exchange it or buy an led.

Anyone see this on their screens?
LL
Old 05-05-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks. In your opinion, how is the PQ of you ST as compared to last years Samsung's (fluctuating brightness issues aside)?

i would say they are pretty similar. blacks are deeper on the st50 and possibly the samsung had very slightly better sd but that's about it in difference from what i see.

but the specs are slightly different for usa set's i believe on the st50. for instance i don't think you get the calibration controls that we do in the uk and i heard you only get 48hz refresh rate for blu ray when we get 96hz. not sure if this is the same for the gt/vt.

i am very pleased at the moment with my st50 and is just as good as the samsungs if not a little bit better.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Not to take anything from the st50, but I noticed more crosstalk in 3d mode.
Overall PQ slightly lower... Similar with GT50. Haven't seen vt50 yet.

Pannys did have deeper blacks tho.

This was done at BB completely dark magnolia room.

In either case it's subjective, compare them yourself and go from there.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer 1985 View Post

but the specs are slightly different for usa set's i believe on the st50. for instance i don't think you get the calibration controls that we do in the uk and i heard you only get 48hz refresh rate for blu ray when we get 96hz. not sure if this is the same for the gt/vt.

Correct. The North American versions of Panasonic ST50 & GT50 only do 48hz. Only the VT50 does 96hz.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Not to take anything from the st50, but I noticed more crosstalk in 3d mode.
Overall PQ slightly lower... Similar with GT50. Haven't seen vt50 yet.

Pannys did have deeper blacks tho.

This was done at BB completely dark magnolia room.

In either case it's subjective, compare them yourself and go from there.

i have not tested 3d myself but all the reviews over here seem to suggest there is virtually no crosstalk while across the pond i have seen reviews saying there is crosstalk.

maybe it has something to do with u.s sets only having 48hz instead of 96.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 PM

I'm onto my 2nd 64 inch E8000 due to buzzing starting to get a little annoyed & fed up I dunno where to go from here

Fantastic tele if it weren't for the buzz/hum

FYI no brightness pops or the like here
Old 05-06-2012, 07:56 AM

Hey guys! I'm currently looking at the E7000 & ST50 Panny, if anyone could make a decision for me I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Pam

The scariest words in the English language are:
"Hello, we're from the government, and we're here to help."

PS3 HDMI 1.4
GT50 3D 1080p Plasma HDTV
10' 1080P@60

Old 05-06-2012, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As said above, I threw in the towel on my Samsung pn64e8000 due to the buzz and my ears. Received my 60" GT50 last night and it has no buzz and acceptable plasma noise. The internet/menus/apps seem just as responsive as the E8000 and the blacks look better to me. Premature opinion on my part says picture at this point goes to the E8000, but I cycled thru 3 of them and had the settings I liked on the Sammy compared to an out-of-box Panny.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Liked: 11
I've had the 64E8000 for a month and no buzz at all!!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any one else here that can chime in on their 60'' or 64'' E series as far as fluctuating brightness during hockey? I need to make a decision by tommorow on wether or not to give a 60'' a chance or jump ship.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 PM

for those of you wondering what the turn off/ turn on issue looks like, i took a video of it doing it and put in on you tube.

http://youtu.be/G5BxLtrKGUI

and no i am not just turning the remote on and off for those who might think that. well hope you enjoy what i am dealing with and please continue to update this thread on any new info on this issue
Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Crossing posting this, since my brand new D8000 has a dead HDMI board, I can get a replacement or pay a little more for the E8000.

I have to decide between the D and E series...

I understand that the buzzing is still present?

Also have other issues been tackled?
- peel
- Fbr
any others?

I see that CS no longer loses blacks?
And Bluetooth now supports external keyboards / mice ?

Finally I lose one HDMI and the VGA port, gain one USB?

Thanks for all the tips.

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv