post #1291 of 4330 Old 05-23-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

Ha! It is scientific fact. You can choose to believe it or not -- but it won't change the fact.

Do you know who Harry F. Olson is? Do you know what a logarithm is?

Larry

just having fun my PN60E8000 DOES NOT BUZZZZZZZZZZZ did i just fall asleep you know once you hit 30 life is over you can't hear then fall asleep just sitting here

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 4330 Old 05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

here are my settings what do you think

Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 20
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 52
Sharpness: 0
Color: 54
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: medium
Black tone: dark
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off
xvYCC: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]

Color Space submenu:
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 50, Green 0, Blue 0
Green: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 0
Blue: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 50, Green 50, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 50
Magenta: Red 50, Green 0, Blue 50

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 27
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 26
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 27
B-Gain: 24

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -3
Interval 2: Red 0, Green +1, Blue +1
Interval 3: Red +1, Green +2, Blue +2
Interval 4: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +1
Interval 5: Red +2, Green +3, Blue +4
Interval 6: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +4
Interval 7: Red +2, Green +2, Blue +2
Interval 8: Red +1, Green +1, Blue +5
Interval 9: Red 0, Green 0, Blue +5
Interval 10: Red +3, Green 0, Blue +8

Picture options submenu
Color tone: stanard
Digital Noise Filter: auto
MPEG Noise Filter: auto
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Cinema Smooth

Cinema Smooth only works in 24p

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #1293 of 4330 Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

do you have a e8000 or e7000 that's what this thread is about if its such a crap shoot and you hate sammy so much go get a panny or lg and report back in a couple years

i have had a b c d and now an pn60e8000 no buzz i have a pn50c7000 no buzz and i have un46d8000 and i love them all

Hello Bargervais,

I’m not crapping on Samsungs, I’m the one responding to the crapper.

To answer your question, I had a PN59D8000 which I loved except for the directional buzz and I returned it. Now, a few units later, I have a PN60E7000 which only has a mild buzz (within tolerances IMO) and can only be heard if I’m positioned a certain way as in not facing the screen. I’m very, very happy that I was able to get a non-buzzer.

This is what I love about my E7000:

In its own league video processing
The natural and rich colors, good enough black levels
It doesn’t have all the crap of the E8000
Built quality, the simplistic design – I really appreciate the lack of cheap glossy plastic
Uniformity and angle viewing inherent to plasmas
No motion issues

Drawbacks:

VUDU fills the screen no matter the original aspect ratio, last year’s model didn’t do this (not much of an issue since the OPPO 93 will handle my streaming needs)
Dirty whites that are inherent to plasmas

Oh, I have a un46d7000 for the bedroom

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #1294 of 4330 Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

Hello Bargervais,

I’m not crapping on Samsungs, I’m the one responding to the crapper.

To answer your question, I had a PN59D8000 which I loved except for the directional buzz and I returned it. Now, a few units later, I have a PN60E7000 which only has a mild buzz (within tolerances IMO) and can only be heard if I’m positioned a certain way as in not facing the screen. I’m very, very happy that I was able to get a non-buzzer.

This is what I love about my E7000:

In its own league video processing
The natural and rich colors, good enough black levels
It doesn’t have all the crap of the E8000
Built quality, the simplistic design – I really appreciate the lack of cheap glossy plastic
Uniformity and angle viewing inherent to plasmas
No motion issues

Drawbacks:

VUDU fills the screen no matter the original aspect ratio, last year’s model didn’t do this (not much of an issue since the OPPO 93 will handle my streaming needs)
Dirty whites that are inherent to plasmas

Oh, I have a un46d7000 for the bedroom

yea i love this TV pn60e8000 i have in the main room i have my pn50c7000 in the den and i have a un46d8000 in my bedroom then I have a LN40B630 in the guest bedroom
and two BD-C6900 i also have two Panasonic 3d blu-ray players for my Amazon Prime App video

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #1295 of 4330 Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I can understand some people who don't suffer from the "buzz" issue not really caring to see so many posts, but some of you are very rude. The problem DOES exist. If you don't suffer from said problem, then I am very happy for you, but others including myself have dealt with it before. It took me a few C8000 models to get a non buzzer, or should I say a set that buzzed so little I couldn't hear it under normal viewing conditions. My E8000 does buzz, and it really bothers me. I thought I had escaped it by re-positioning the set, but no such luck.

I've seen people say that "all plasma tv's buzz", which I believe is true to a certain degree. I have owned the following Plasma televisions:

Pioneer Kuro
Panasonic V10
Panasonic VT25
Samsung C8000

The Kuro buzzed from the back of the set, especially during shots of pure white. This didn't bother me during normal viewing.

The Panasonic V10 didn't buzz at all, but suffered from the dreaded "black level rise".

The Panasonic VT25 buzzed from the back, which didn't bother me at all during normal viewing. You had to put your head behind the set to hear it at all. The only problem I had with it was the fluctuating black levels, which caused me to return it. I believe they later fixed it with a firmware update.

The C8000 was my first experience with the buzzing coming directly out of the screen. It really catches you by surprise when it hits you the first time. It took a couple exchanges before I received one that I couldn't hear from my seating area. It had developed problems a while ago and I was fearful to call for a warranty repair because I was so afraid of buzzing. Samsung offered me a replacement eventually and sure enough, the E series buzzes.

It kills me to have to complain about buzzing, especially when everything else about this set has been excellent so far. Samsung will make you go through a repair before they will exchange the set for you or offer any alternative, but it's tough to have to take off work to meet the repair company...when they decide to show up.
post #1296 of 4330 Old 05-23-2012, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrattlehead View Post

I can understand some people who don't suffer from the "buzz" issue not really caring to see so many posts, but some of you are very rude. The problem DOES exist. If you don't suffer from said problem, then I am very happy for you, but others including myself have dealt with it before. It took me a few C8000 models to get a non buzzer, or should I say a set that buzzed so little I couldn't hear it under normal viewing conditions. My E8000 does buzz, and it really bothers me. I thought I had escaped it by re-positioning the set, but no such luck.

I've seen people say that "all plasma tv's buzz", which I believe is true to a certain degree. I have owned the following Plasma televisions:

Pioneer Kuro
Panasonic V10
Panasonic VT25
Samsung C8000

The Kuro buzzed from the back of the set, especially during shots of pure white. This didn't bother me during normal viewing.

The Panasonic V10 didn't buzz at all, but suffered from the dreaded "black level rise".

The Panasonic VT25 buzzed from the back, which didn't bother me at all during normal viewing. You had to put your head behind the set to hear it at all. The only problem I had with it was the fluctuating black levels, which caused me to return it. I believe they later fixed it with a firmware update.

The C8000 was my first experience with the buzzing coming directly out of the screen. It really catches you by surprise when it hits you the first time. It took a couple exchanges before I received one that I couldn't hear from my seating area. It had developed problems a while ago and I was fearful to call for a warranty repair because I was so afraid of buzzing. Samsung offered me a replacement eventually and sure enough, the E series buzzes.

It kills me to have to complain about buzzing, especially when everything else about this set has been excellent so far. Samsung will make you go through a repair before they will exchange the set for you or offer any alternative, but it's tough to have to take off work to meet the repair company...when they decide to show up.

I was on the fence about picking up a E7000 so I could directly compare it to my week old ST50 and keep the better set but seeing that the odds are against me on getting a Samsung that does not have the directional buzz I may forgo that. I loved the image quality of the D7000 but could not take that high frequency directional buzz or the fb and abl issues. If the buzzing has followed into this years model I am a little hesitant to attempt a comparison between the two.

So far the ST50 has no issues that I can tell. No audible buzzing from my seated position, no line bleed, rock solid brightness, deep blacks, bright and great pq.....I was going to compare the sets to ensure I have the best tv I can get right now within my budget.

I to, have owned numerous plasma sets....all of them had the standard plasma buzz from behind the screen and during ultra bright scenes but the D7000 was really noticeable at normal volume. If it is true that the E series seem to have this problem that is a real shame as the image quality on the d7000 was really nice and in my opinion better than last years Panasonic line. This year may be a different story but I would have to have the two sets in house to come to that conclusion.
post #1297 of 4330 Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I returned my ST50 last week for the E8000. The ST50 certainly had line bleed in some situations, it just depends on what you're watching. During most viewing, it is not visible at all. I could definitely notice it on some channels that are notorious for showing line bleed. The brightness and black levels were absolutely fantastic though.

I'm stumped by all the talk of buzzing. My D7000 last year had virtually no buzz. If it wasn't for the fluctuating brightness I believe I'd still have it. My E8000 also has virtually no buzz, regardless of where I am in the room, or what distance. My apartment is very quiet when my air conditioner is off so if it buzzed I'd hear it.

Maybe I've just been really lucky regarding the buzz. If it wasn't for all the talk in the forums about it I'd never know there was an issue.

F8000 2D settings:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F8000 3D settings:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1298 of 4330 Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 PM

It seems clear that some of the TVs have a louder buzz than others, I've personally experienced both kinds.

Some people are over-sensitive to the buzz, and so they'll hear it on all the Samsungs (and maybe some other TVs too). Some are not, and they won't hear anything ever.

The most important question for this thread is whether the E series buzzes louder or have a higher chance of having a buzzer than the D or older series? And because of the above, it's difficult to judge from the posts here whether this is or isn't the case.

Quote:

The Panasonic VT25 buzzed from the back, which didn't bother me at all during normal viewing.

This is interesting. With my "non buzzing" E8000, it also buzzes louder at the back than at the front, which is the opposite of my C7000 buzzer. The front buzz on the E8000 would never bother me, but the same can't be said of the C7000 (although I did get used to it). The back buzz I would describe as the normal plasma buzz, perhaps bit louder, but I have nothing to use as a reference (only an old, much smaller non Kuro Pioneer, that has a tiny tiny buzz - I think the size of the screen may also influence the loudness of the buzzing).

So for those that have annoying buzzers with the E8000 series, can you post your front/back comparison, maybe there's a pattern here. That the actual "buzzers" have their buzz louder from the front than at the back, whereas the "non buzzers" are the opposite?
post #1299 of 4330 Old 05-23-2012, 10:09 PM

Eagle2...can you compare image quality between the st50 you had and your e8000? Was there a particular reason you returned the st50 in favor of the samsung? I am looking for impessions from somebody that has seen them both in house. I have no loyalty to any brand, I just want the most reliable, best picture I can buy so your impressions would be most welcome.

Impressions on clarity, black levels, motion, brightness, glare and overall observations you might have would really helpful. As mentioned above, I really like the ST50 but I am curious if I would like the pne7000 more. Based off what I have been reading I don't think you will be losing either way you go assuming you don't get a dud from either side.

If you feel it would be more appropriate to PM me this information that would be fine as well. I have found that personal observations on internet forums can be taken out of context and blown up into something that was not intended.
post #1300 of 4330 Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 99
@BiotypE,

Well, I'm in the process of breaking in the set right now. I've decided instead of slides to use just 16:9 content (I'm using the Cinemax channels since they have no logos and the vast majority of their films are shown 16:9 - I'm keeping a close eye on what they're airing and switch around as necessary to other Cinemax channels).

So right now I have the contrast and brightness set to 50% and the screen size set to 16:9. As such it's hard to do a direct comparison until the tv is broken in and I put in CNET's settings.

For now, what I can say is - this tv looks beautiful. Gorgeous styling. I love the swivel stand. A bonus is my 2011 Samsung qwerty remote and 3D glasses are both compatible, which is great. That means 3 different remotes (the qwerty plus the standard and touch remotes both included with the E8000). The touch remote is pretty awesome but takes getting used to. I haven't played with any other fun stuff yet (voice, motion, apps, etc.).

I don't want to jinx myself but so far, I see no signs of the fluctuating brightness during dark scenes that plagued the D7000 last year. That's what prompted me to trade it in for the ST50 last month.

The reason the ST50 didn't work out for me, among smaller issues, is really I felt the 3D was not up to par - it had poor recognition of my side-by-side 3D files and the crosstalk was pretty bad overall. I love 3D (when done right like Hugo and IMAX) so I just couldn't see myself being happy with the ST50. With an awesome sale on the E8000 I felt it would be a better fit.

As far as motion goes, the motion so far on the E8000 is spectacular, based solely on my observations of 1080i Cinemax viewing. It's hard to make a judgement yet on black levels since I haven't adjusted the picture properly yet, but my impression is the black levels might not be quite as good as the ST50, but I really cannot say for sure yet. That being said, I don't think the black levels are bad by any means - it's gonna be pretty close to the ST50 to my eyes. The color is straight out of the box so far with no adjustments but I have a feeling the color is going to be great on this set when adjusted - they look surprisingly good for out-of-box settings. This is in Cinema mode by the way.

Glare doesn't seem to be a problem for me but my apartment isn't very bright anyways.

Lots of little things my girlfriend and I think are great on this set. For example, the ST50 has a red LED just under the screen that won't turn off when viewing - we find it annoying. The E8000 has an LED only for standby - it turns off when you're watching it. The swivel stand is great - the 55" ST50 had no swivel stand. These are just little things but they make an impression. No forced motion interpolation (soap opera effect) when watching direct 24Hz content or using the built-in media player (like the ST50). And the 96Hz mode is going to be great for blu-rays. Very nice menus too - very slick. I like the idea of the expansion slot - of course who knows if they'll actually make use of it or not?

Overall, considering the excellent motion, great styling, compatibility with last year's 3D glasses, much improved 3D (less crosstalk if it's as good as last year's D7000), and some nice extras, I think this will be a perfect fit for me. And this is from someone who was very frustrated with Samsung because of their fluctuating brightness last year.

I hope this doesn't offend any ST50 owners. I thought for the money that was an unbelievable deal. The image was fantastic but as I mentioned little things add up and the deal-breaker for me was the 3D.

F8000 2D settings:

F8000 3D settings:
post #1301 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 AM

@Eagle2
Thanks for your observations. I don't have really any problem with any of the issues you brought up, meaning some of the things you disliked about the st50 don't bother me or I don't really use. I am not a fan of 3d at all so I completely discount that feature when making my TV purchase/s.

Once you break in your set and can run it using optimal settings It would be awesome if you can post your impressions on pq.

I might go ahead and pull the trigger on a E7000 to do a direct comparison. Thanks again.
post #1302 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

sorry but maybe you should buy an e series and then comment on it my PN60E8000 that does not buzz i'm very offended that you said all old people over 30 can't hear

My point was, if that's what you took away from my post, your reading comprehension is sadly lacking. If you're joking, then to me you have the comic sense of a rock. There are emoticons available to address that.
post #1303 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

no is that like a dog whistle

all I'm saying is my pn60e8000 does not buzz
is thread about buzzing??????

lets talk calibration, voice command, gesture control
i wonder if people come in here and complain, i'm not even sure some people even own one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKl_sTh0oHE

post #1304 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 07:58 AM

Liked: 10
Hey Eagle2,

Thanks for the comparison, I'm in the same boat and I'm trying to decide if I should give the e8000 another shot...the last 2 sets I had were bad buzzers and I'm wondering if I'll be lucky enough to get one that buzzes less, if thats even a possibility. In comparison the clarity on my current gt50 just isn't there and leaves me wanting more after having an e8000.

Playing assassin's creed yesterday was pretty disappointing with all the judder going on, I don't remember having that issue with the e8000 before.

Please keep us posted with updates on your set!
post #1305 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

i know we touched on this earlier but image retention on my PN60E8000 has nothing that shows up.
Compared to my PN50C7000 which gets IR real fast, what is the reasoning behind this happening so easily on the c7000 and not on the e8000 , can someone help me understand

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #1306 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM

very high delay(Input Lag) -->PS3 (Pes 2012..FIFA 12..CALL OF DUTY M3..Battlefield 3)
post #1307 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitao View Post

very high delay(Input Lag) -->PS3 (Pes 2012..FIFA 12..CALL OF DUTY M3..Battlefield 3)

Is this even in game mode? If that is the case I am going to have to pass. I am a big-time gamer and high input lag would be a huge deal breaker for me.
post #1308 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hov333 View Post

Hey Eagle2,

Thanks for the comparison, I'm in the same boat and I'm trying to decide if I should give the e8000 another shot...the last 2 sets I had were bad buzzers and I'm wondering if I'll be lucky enough to get one that buzzes less, if thats even a possibility. In comparison the clarity on my current gt50 just isn't there and leaves me wanting more after having an e8000.

Playing assassin's creed yesterday was pretty disappointing with all the judder going on, I don't remember having that issue with the e8000 before.

Please keep us posted with updates on your set!

Hmm, I wonder if this is a settings thing. I have played many games on my st50 and there is no more or less judder on it than the d7000 I had last year or any of the other plasma I have owned.

You commented on clarity between the gt50 and e8000, can you elaborate on that?
post #1309 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitao View Post

???? Huh... On e8000? Am in an alternate universe?
I've experienced zero lag on my ps3... Last game I played was prototype 2

Hell when I first purchased the set I tested mortal kombat in both 2D/3D
post #1310 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

Pioneer Kuro
Panasonic V10
Panasonic VT25
Samsung C8000

Agreed, the way people describe the directionality of the buzzing seems to suggest it's much the same for the E as it was for the C and D series plasmas. Noise off the back of the set is pretty much common to all plasmas, but is probably more related to other sources (like the power supply), but noise being projected across the room in a focused beam is something that has only become a problem in recent years.

I have posted this earlier in the thread, but I periodically repost it for the benefit of those affected. I highly recommend that anyone bothered by buzzing experiment with the angle of their screen if at all possible. I found that by leaning my screen just slightly towards my viewing position (which is dead center), I could reduce the buzz by at least 50%. Turns out the noise is still there, but more of it is kept below my ear level. This was the only way I could get my plasma noise to a tolerable level.
post #1311 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE View Post

Hmm, I wonder if this is a settings thing. I have played many games on my st50 and there is no more or less judder on it than the d7000 I had last year or any of the other plasma I have owned.

hey biotype,

yes there is a definate image softness I'm noticing on the gt50, its not to the level of "defective" its just definately softer than the e8000. Someone posted comparison pictures of their LCD vs the gt50, this is a pretty accurate comparison of what I'm seeing with my comparison.

The GT50 has more "snow" all over the image when looking up close to the screen, the e8000 never had such noise, it was just pixels...
post #1312 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Still missing my pn64E8000's - I cycled through 3 over 1 1/2 months, but sadly the P60GT50 is much quieter so that's what I am watching now. The following is an opinion with no measurements as in the end what I see matters, not what some meter says.

Softness - the Samsung appeared much sharper/brighter. It probably is what led me to buy it. The GT50 leaves a feeling that there is a thin veil over the screen. For example, text can appear not as well defined - picture has a very slight out-of-focus look. Now I understand this might be a calibration thing - not sure, but the GT50 has THX modes and custom that I tried to adjust using the WoW disc. Some people have it much worse than me from pictures I saw posted in the GT50 thread.
3D - again the Samsung was clear and bright - the Panny is acceptable.
Gaming - Assassin's Creed for example plays better on the Samsung and seems very responsive playing multi-user. No gaming issues were encountered and it was an upgrade to our other plasma. The GT50 gives my daughter a headache now after one or two hours I think due to ... maybe its judder. In both cases we used gaming mode. Possibly adjusting the settings might reduce this effect.

I hear that the Panny's are suppose to be "better", but in my eye I prefer the Samsung display. Unfortunately, I found the E8000 to be a BuzzKill set, and the GT50 just a normal sounding plasma.

p.s. I am over 50 and still heard that buzz ...
post #1313 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyp View Post

Still missing my pn64E8000's - I cycled through 3 over 1 1/2 months, but sadly the P60GT50 is much quieter so that's what I am watching now. The following is an opinion with no measurements as in the end what I see matters, not what some meter says.

Softness - the Samsung appeared much sharper/brighter. It probably is what led me to buy it. The GT50 leaves a feeling that there is a thin veil over the screen. For example, text can appear not as well defined - picture has a very slight out-of-focus look. Now I understand this might be a calibration thing - not sure, but the GT50 has THX modes and custom that I tried to adjust using the WoW disc. Some people have it much worse than me from pictures I saw posted in the GT50 thread.
Gaming - Assassin's Creed for example plays better on the Samsung and seems very responsive playing multi-user. No gaming issues were encountered and it was an upgrade to our other plasma. The GT50 gives my daughter a headache now after one or two hours I think due to ... maybe its judder. In both cases we used gaming mode. Possibly adjusting the settings might reduce this effect.

I hear that the Panny's are suppose to be "better", but in my eye I prefer the Samsung display. Unfortunately, I found the E8000 to be a BuzzKill set, and the GT50 just a normal sounding plasma.

wow lenny great response. thanks for the input as well, I now know that I'm not alone with that "out of focus" feeling thats been really bugging me. Its too bad that between the two sets each have their own distinctive and annoying drawbacks.
post #1314 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I hear that the Panny's are suppose to be "better", but in my eye I prefer the Samsung display.

Better is whatever works best for you; anyone telling you anything different is either pushing an agenda or trying to sell you something.

Regarding the "softness" that you describe, can you post an up-close photo of some text? Not really sure if that is possible or not - I'll try with my own camera on my e8000. I'm just curious to see what you describe.
post #1315 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by deria View Post

Better is whatever works best for you; anyone telling you anything different is either pushing an agenda or trying to sell you something.

Regarding the "softness" that you describe, can you post an up-close photo of some text? Not really sure if that is possible or not - I'll try with my own camera on my e8000. I'm just curious to see what you describe.

Check the image on the GT50 Owners forum - should be last page of thread or one before it. I'm at work right now.
post #1316 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM

Input lag is a big question for me too. I can definitely feel it in movie mode, but it is reduced a lot in game mode. That said, movie mode isn't as bad as my 2010 C8000, but I'm unsure if game mode is as good.

Either way, the fact that you're stuck with standard mode is a pain as far as getting an accurate picture. Yes, I know they're videogames, but I like to have an accurate picture. I'm going to pick up the WOW disc tonight and see if I can get it close to movie mode....even though I know it won't be perfect. I've contacted Samsung about the buzzing on my E8000 and asked if I could be refunded the cost of the television or at least work out an exchange at my local bestbuy. I took this set after my C8000 failed under warranty. They had me pay $200, or I could take a refund of $1,300. At this point though, I may be better off accepting the refund and purchasing the set local so that I don't have to go through a repair process that causes me to miss work. I hate to play the exchange game, but I need to try and find a set that buzzes at least a little less.
post #1317 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanks for all of the information, that is exactly the types of comparisons I was looking for. I am going to go ahead and order a E7000 to do a direct comparison and just keep whichever set I feel is better. Again to everyone, I greatly appreciate all our input and observations.

Once I have some time with both of them in my home I will post my observations as well.
post #1318 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all of the information, that is exactly the types of comparisons I was looking for. I am going to go ahead and order a E7000 to do a direct comparison and just keep whichever set I feel is better. Again to everyone, I greatly appreciate all our input and observations.

Once I have some time with both of them in my home I will post my observations as well.

Sounds great, keep us posted! really thinking about doing the same as well.

Any actual PQ difference between the e7000 & e8000? Many here are saying they're the same minus the extra features, but isn't the e8000 supposed to have a better 'black filter' or whatever they call it?
post #1319 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I couldn't agree with you more. Every professional review favors the 2012 Panasonics's over the 2012 Samsung plasma television's but my eyes tell me that the Samsung looks better, that's why I brought the 60E7000 and let's face it, in television viewing, it's all about the picture quality. It appears that if you, like myself, want the picture quality that you like in the Samsung, you have to put up with the buzzing. What P***ses me off is why Samsung put us in this position. Panasonic had a lot of problems with their 2011 models "brightness POPS, buzzing etc, but to their credit, in their 2012 models according to their spokesmen at CES 2012 redesigned their 2012 plasma's and by all user feedback on the ST50, GT50 and VT50 models, all the problems that plagued the 2011 Panasonic models have been largely fixed. But Samsung, with 3 generations of plasma buzzers will not fix the problem.

Before I brought my 60E7000, I did a lot of visual comparison's between Panasonic and Samsung and the Panasonic picture quality to me is too soft, un-detailed and lacked brightness and clarity. All the things that I like in the Samsung 60E7000 that I brought. Right now I'm waiting for a Samsung authorized repair technician to come to my house to "Inspect" the buzzing on my Samsung. Instead of Just doing an RMA on the 60E7000 and returning it to Crutchfield.com where I brought it, I'm going to try and get a "Non-buzzer" from Samsung. They are responsible for this problem, not Crutchfield.com. And if it takes doing this 3 or 4 times then so be it.

I don't know why Samsung won't fix this buzzing problem in their plasma televisions but, of course, whatever the reason it must have something to do with $$$ but in the end they're going to pay for it in other ways. Loss of customer trust and dissatisfaction, damage to their reputation not to mention all the tons of plasma returns the retailers have to deal with. I don't know where all the returned Samsung D/E 7000/8000 plasma's go but they must go somewhere and and somebody, somewhere has to bear the financial cost of all those RMA's and returns and that can't make Samsung look to good in the eyes of their retailer clients.
post #1320 of 4330 Old 05-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by airman23 View Post

all those RMA's and returns and that can't make Samsung look to good in the eyes of their retailer clients.

^ This sentiment is what makes me question how widespread the buzzing issue really is. Samsung is a) still in business and b) sold by every major retailer. If the buzzing was as pronounced as this thread suggests, every retailer would have a literal -firestorm- of returns and the retailer would simply switch to a product that causes them less hassle. It isn't like the retailers are required to sell Samsung, and no retailer in their right mind would tolerate a high level of returns on big-ticket items.

The thing people have to remember is that -- regardless of what product is involved -- for every person complaining on an Internet forum, there could be thousands of people silently not experiencing any issues. Not many people sign in to a forum and post to sing the praises of a product -- but everyone is happy to sign into a forum to state their dis-satisfaction (and there is nothing wrong with that; it is the way the world works). That may be particularly true of AVSForum, where virtually everyone has hyper-focused expectations regarding product quality.

What surprises me is that Samsung doesn't have at least one person monitoring AVSForum and participating in threads and answering questions. It frankly stuns me that they don't see the incredible amount of goodwill that would earn them, and goodwill translates to sales. IE: If I saw smart, knowledgeable posts from a Samsung employee regarding the capabilities of thier TV and offering advice on how to overcome or deal with problems, I'd be alot more inclined to lean their way in any purchasing decision I made. (As it turns out, I went with Samsung anyway, but you get the point.)
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page