AVS Forum banner
447K views 4K replies 476 participants last post by  tongshadow 
#1 ·
This is the owners thread for the Samsung PNXXE7000/8000.

I have a Samsung pn60e8000, which was a replacement for my Samsung PN59D8000. I think over all the E seies has better PQ than the D series. Darker blacks, color is on par with last years excellent performance, and the new dual core chip really speeds up the use of apps and browser. Also the new internet browser is much faster and easier to use, and it is a full web browser , most web browsers on tv's are not full web browser's. The new features like face recognition is great and works very well, it does a great job. If you have an account and you are using the tv, it takes you right to your account. If you have an account and are in the room with several other people it shows all the people and displays those with accounts and without, giving you the option to sign into your account or allowing a person to make their own account. The voice control works very well, even in a room with people talking, the remote itself also has a mic to help in this situation.The voice control can be a bit finicky as you need to know the commands and must speak clearly. Also, there is a 1.5 second delay from when you speak until it reacts, but as for the web browser part I can tell you it is still much faster than typing. The motion control works but can be a bit sluggish, you need to learn the appropriate motions then it will work well, also lighting conditions can interfere with it, you need to atleast have a lamp on. I have not noticed any under or over scan issues. I have also not noticed any white "pops" - I did view a hockey game and there were some small greyish area's whithin the white at times. I am talking about when the screen is almost totally white, if you look very close you can notice this but it is very subtle.The screen was brilliant white and trying to look at these was very painful to my eye's. I watched avatar, alice in wonderland,tangled and Imax under the sea , all in 3d and there was no xtalk or ghosting . I did however notice the slightest xtalk when using the 2d-3d feature but it was very minamal. I tested gaming and it was great - even in very fast motion scenes. Also did mw3 in 3d and again great performance. There was no lag issue with out using the game mode setting. if you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.

god bless

See less See more
#1,109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastMinuteGoal /forum/post/22014488

Hopefully, they've fixed the DNLA issue, the one that requires a hacked version of PS3 Media Server in order for the TV to find the server.

The media playback feature on the E8000 is surprisingly good, seems to play the the commonly encoded AVI and MP4s out there (without PMS doing any transcoding), something I didn't really expect with this type of built-in feature (which is usually treated as an afterthought by manufacturers). Things like fast forward, browsing are quite responsive as well - maybe the dual-core processor at work?

Does the hacked version play MKV and external subtitles .srt mainly.

#1,111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrassie86 /forum/post/22014735

i and a few others had this problem also with the network, i found that entering the service menu and backing out fixed it for me and the others that tried it. I talked about it back near the begining of this thread.

Yes,enntering the service menu then exiting out worked for me also.What you may also try is resetting smart hub only,enter smart hub,go to tools icon,then scroll down to reset,thats another option for ya!

#1,113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl /forum/post/22016231

All I can say is WOW. I own a 58C8000 and I have a 60E8000 on order. I've just read 37 pages of mostly irrelevant crap. This is a PNE7000-PNE8000 "owners" thread. The read would have been so much easier without the posts that are unrelated to the topic. Forums tend to draw the people with problems or the self proclaimed aficionados that will never be happy. I could comment on the pros and cons of the C8000 I own, but that has nothing to do with the 2012 series. I could make a comparison if I had the E8000 in my possession, but it has not arrived yet so my opinion would be unsubstantiated. I could wring my hands and fret over issues that may never present. I can appreciate the folks that own and report an E8000 with a buzz or some other issue, but the posts referening Panasonic displays are irrelevant in a Samsung "Owners" thread. If I want someone to blow smoke up my ass about a Panasonic, I'll read a "Panasonic owners" thread. I came here to have Samsung "owners" blow smoke up my ass or provide a laundry list of issues with the E series plasma. This thread could be greatly improved if the moderators or the thread starter could blow out the BS posts. If you prefer to purchase a Panasonic because it has better blacks, better hockey games or whatever floats your boat, preach to the Panasonic choir. They would eat that crap for breakfast or you can be a pecker gnat in this forum

As an ''actual'' owner of a PN51E8000, I'm not sure how talking about and investigating undeniable issues that exhist with these 2012 models is unrelated to this thread...?

But no worries, you WILL NOT have to listen to me ''complain'' about the these issues any longer because my refund has been approved and Samsung will be taking back the TV next week.

#1,114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattheF /forum/post/22016339

As an ''actual'' owner of a PN51E8000, I'm not sure how talking about and investigating undeniable issues that exhist with these 2012 models is unrelated to this thread...?

But no worries, you WILL NOT have to listen to me ''complain'' about the these issues any longer because my refund has been approved and Samsung will be taking back the TV next week.

thank goodness so you can now join the Panasonic complaint thread i have a pn60e8000 and love everything about it i think no matter what you get you will find something wrong good luck man

#1,115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais /forum/post/22016378

you cant stay away ????

Seriously?

If he is unhappy because of product failure then he has every reason to mention that

My particular situation

I own a 58C8000...nice TV

Its has been repaired twice under warranty

I bought a 64D8000 a few weeks ago at Frys when they were selling them for about 35% of MSRP

Got it home and there was horizontal lines

Service came out picked up the Tv and replaced the panel

Replacement panel has vertical lines

So..they are now replacing it with a 648000

supposed to be delivered next week

I will keep you posted on what happens

Warren

#1,116 ·

Quote:

I deleted that post when I thought it was a bit out of line. I can appreciate your opinions as an "actual owner", but many of the comments in this thread are either baseless opinions or deniable redundant comments. 38 pages of "buzzer" and "I think I'll get a Panasonic", is useless. How many times do we need to go back and forth with "all plasma displays buzz" and "no they don't". When someone states their TV doesn't buzz, the response accuses the person of being deaf
For the record I'm deaf as my c8000 doesn't buzz.

How many folks do not have their displays calibrated by a professional? I bet most people plug it in, select a default mode and are fat, dumb and happy. You can argue black and picture quality all you want, but on a display that has not been calibrated, who really knows.

As far as not having to listen to you "complain", I've read and noted your opinion well before page 38. You don't need to keep repeating yourself. I bet the "WILL NOT" statement will be short lived and I hope you're happy with your next purchase.

#1,117 ·
The buzz issue has always been confusing, it's probably true that some can't hear the buzz at all, while others are over-sensitive to it, and it's also probably true that some sets buzz more than others.

I think the best people to judge the buzz problem are those, like me, that have had buzzers (an Australian 58C7000, so equivalent to the NA 58C8000) and are able to hear it and know for a fact that the problem exist, that also now have a E series (60E8000) that they can compare with. For my E8000, I can't hear the buzz without turning my ears towards to the TV, and only with the volume off. And unlike my C series buzzer, this one makes most of the noise behind the TV, as opposed to in front of it. I would probably call this a non buzzer, simply for the fact that there's no chance that the humming noise coming from the TV would ever bother me in normal viewing situations. But the only definitive statement that I can make is that, by my hearing standards (not great, but not too bad either), non buzzers definitely exists in the 60E8000 range. I definitely can't make a statement about the entire E series range, since it's very likely that the strength of the buzzing is set based, not model based (and that may have always been the case, so there were probably tons of C series sets that didn't buzz).

What I will say though is that the buzz is most evident on high contrast scenes (as opposed to full white scenes, under which ABL kicks in), whereas with my old C series, it was far more constant (and intensity didn't change much even with contrast turned way down). My theory is that the buzz relates somehow to the power supply, and the more aggressive ABL on the E series not only help to lower energy requirements, but also help to rein in the buzz. But that's just my speculation.

I really do love this TV, and in *my personal opinion*, I think it bests my C7000 in almost all areas (major exceptions include the built-in sound, which was never great to begin with, but now sounds even weaker, and the styling, which is more of a personal taste issue).

#1,118 ·

just pulled the trigger and brought the PN60E7000. The unit has been discounted from it's original online price in just the last day so I saved some money. I was going to purchase it last night but I wanted to go out again today to the stores and have one last look before making my decision. I won't mention the price but I suggest that you check out amazon and crutchfield.com.

I chose Crutchfield.com because they seem to have the best return policy, just in case I get a defective unit. I went to 3 BB's and the local Fry's electronics to make sure that my initial impressions where correct as far as the PN60E7000 was concerned.

I looked at the Panasonic TC-P60ST50, GT50 and TC-P55VT50 and the Samsung PN59D8000 and the PN60E8000. The ST50 picture quality was to my thinking not as sharp and did not have to clarity and detail of the E7000. The GT50 also was not on par with the E7000 and the VT50 in my opinion was too dark, i did not think that the black level was natural looking and it made to image look too dark even when the picture mode was set to vivid and the contrast set to maximum. The picture quality on the E7000 as compared to the E8000 was a match so I didn't see the need to get the E8000 and pay for some extra features that I probably won't use anyway.

In one BB, the VT50 was on the left, the E7000 was in the middle and the D8000 was on the right. As I said, the VT50 was too dark and the D8000 was to light, I tried playing around with the picture settings on the D8000, lowering the contrast to see if I could get it to look like the E7000 but I could not. The picture always seemed to have to much contrast and it washed out the colors in comparison to the E7000 but the E7000 looked to have just the right balance of blacks and brightness. All this plus the price break convinced me to go ahead and buy it

It should be arriving about the middle of this week, I just hope that I don't get a "Buzzer" as I have been reading about in some of Samsung's plasma's of late but all of the models that I saw in the store didn't seem to "Buzz" to me and I tried to "hear" it but I didn't hear it in any of the Demo models however there is always the chance that out of the noisy store floor and in a more quiet environment such as my living space this "Buzz" might appear but I live in Los Angeles and that's close to sea level so I'm hoping that the altitude factor is in my favor, that's why I chose Crutchfield.com to purchase it as they have a 60 day return policy so in this time period I there is anything wrong, it should become evident within this time frame. So wish me luck.

#1,120 ·
As I wrote before, I got my 60" E7000 a week ago. Loved the picture but hated the glare. Decided to hold onto the Samsung while getting a Panasonic GT50 to try. After trying the Panny for 2 days I didn't think it looked as good as the Samsung. Yesterday I set them both up side by side and ran through a number of different video sources.

My wife, son and I all decided that the Samsung was the winner. The picture is much sharper and more natural. You really see a difference on graphics. The text on the Panasonic looked bolder but much softer. The Panasonic was overall a softer look.

So that's my two cents. I will be happy with my Samsung and won't have that "what if I bought the Panasonic" in the back of my mind.

Also Amazon dropped the price $200 today so they will give me that price match too.

#1,121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman55 /forum/post/22017012

As I wrote before, I got my 60" E7000 a week ago. Loved the picture but hated the glare. Decided to hold onto the Samsung while getting a Panasonic GT50 to try. After trying the Panny for 2 days I didn't think it looked as good as the Samsung. Yesterday I set them both up side by side and ran through a number of different video sources.

My wife, son and I all decided that the Samsung was the winner. The picture is much sharper and more natural. You really see a difference on graphics. The text on the Panasonic looked bolder but much softer. The Panasonic was overall a softer look.

So that's my two cents. I will be happy with my Samsung and won't have that "what if I bought the Panasonic" in the back of my mind.

Also Amazon dropped the price $200 today so they will give me that price match too.

What about brightness and glare? Was Panasonic brighter and had much better antiglare?

Anyway sounds very promising

Are you people noticing dirty screen effecet on your e-series plasmas? Hockey on my 51D555 is horrible because of the awfull dse :/

#1,122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtm79 /forum/post/22017025

What about brightness and glare? Was Panasonic brighter and had much better antiglare?

Anyway sounds very promising

Are you people noticing dirty screen effecet on your e-series plasmas? Hockey on my 51D555 is horrible because of the awfull dse :/

The Panasonic was slightly better on the glare. The picture has more of a matte finish (not really though) which helped the glare but made the picture softer. Calibrated with the CNET settings for the 8000 and it is quite bright.

#1,123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrassie86 /forum/post/22014735

i and a few others had this problem also with the network, i found that entering the service menu and backing out fixed it for me and the others that tried it. I talked about it back near the begining of this thread.

Thanks Wrassie... I saw the previous posts about this subject and I've done a couple of service menu factory resets. I have not done so since the successful firmware update. I'm working today, so I'll go into the menu and then back out to see what happens. If that doesn't do anything, I'll do another reset on it to see if that makes any difference.

I must say, it's very strange to me that I sometimes get the network error even when attempting to access the camera. My suspicion is that it's attempting to perform updates in the background and that if there are any hickups it throws an error message. Additionally, I think the error messages may be incompletely developed and therefore default to a basic set of errors. (this is entirely a guess on my part so I may be all wrong)

#1,124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais /forum/post/22016357

thank goodness so you can now join the Panasonic complaint thread i have a pn60e8000 and love everything about it i think no matter what you get you will find something wrong good luck man

Samsung is making a solid set !

#1,125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmax63 /forum/post/22017361

Thanks Wrassie... I saw the previous posts about this subject and I've done a couple of service menu factory resets. I have not done so since the successful firmware update. I'm working today, so I'll go into the menu and then back out to see what happens. If that doesn't do anything, I'll do another reset on it to see if that makes any difference.

I must say, it's very strange to me that I sometimes get the network error even when attempting to access the camera. My suspicion is that it's attempting to perform updates in the background and that if there are any hickups it throws an error message. Additionally, I think the error messages may be incompletely developed and therefore default to a basic set of errors. (this is entirely a guess on my part so I may be all wrong)

Could be the tv is not liking ur router if wireless, thought i read back in the thread that some peps were having issues with wireless and cetain routers. mine went through a bunch of browsers updates at first also so could be.

jroptop. said there was a way of resetting smart hub.

#1,126 ·
"The buzz issue has always been confusing, it's probably true that some can't hear the buzz at all, while others are over-sensitive to it, and it's also probably true that some sets buzz more than others."

In the case of Samsung, I think it's your last point for a lot of folks. The Samsung I had had an undeniable, narrow piercing buzz.

I've had other plasmas and I could occasionally hear the buzzing which I didn't I find objectionable in the least. But as soon as I turned on the Samsung it was basically WTF is that? If I was going to mount the TV or if my furniture was positioned in such a way where I wasn't sitting directly in front of the TV then it wouldn't be an issue but that wasn't going to be the case.

I think it comes down to this, if one has a plasma that doesn't buzz intolerably then they have a hard time comprehending that someone else complaining about the same model they have has one that buzzes more intensely then theirs.

I knew ahead of time about the complaints of Samsung plasmas but dismissed user complaints out of hand as being "picky". Now I know differently.

I've order another Samsung plasmas (PN60E7000) since I love the picture quality, the excellent video processing which is important for STD def resolutions and design/grade of materials used. There are also a number of people who have no complaints so I'm hoping I luck out.

But I can still cancel my Amazon order so who knows. Without the free return I wouldn't have ordered this model. I already paid $125 in shipping charges when I returned the PM59D8000.

#1,127 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/22017409

Samsung is making a solid set !

Hello Chris,

I've asked you why you think the buzzing issue is very limited for the 2012 Samsung models. I know you have the point of view of a retailer but I will still value and appreciate any thoughts you may have.

#1,128 ·

Quote:

Thanks a lot Sandman!

I've had the same thoughts of "what if I bought the Panasonic" too. Your perspective of having both units in your home for a side by side comparison is comforting. I've suspected Samsung's great video processing gives it an advantage in clarity and STD picture quality.

Besides the buzzing issue my only other concern was the darkness issue that cnet had but what the hey, you used their settings and you're happy with its brightness.

Again thanks for the side by side comparison.

#1,129 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 /forum/post/22017646

Thanks a lot Sandman!

I've had the same thoughts of "what if I bought the Panasonic" too. Your perspective of having both units in your home for a side by side comparison is comforting. I've suspected Samsung's great video processing gives it an advantage in clarity and STD picture quality.

Besides the buzzing issue my only other concern was the darkness issue that cnet had but what the hey, you used their setting and you're happy with its brightness.

Again thanks for the side by side comparison.

and I have not heard any buzzing issues with the Samsung (or Panasonic).

Also the speakers from the Samsung were far superior. Panasonic had no bass at all even though it has bass/treble controls.

#1,130 ·

Quote:

+1

I'm also returning the ST50 for the E550. The Panny has a good picture quality, but not as good as the Sammy. I noticed the difference when I was watching LIFE on blu-ray, the far away scenes just seemed a bit dark and not as sharp. Anyways, the E550(64') is not only cheaper, but has better 3D (so it seems). The E550 does have more glare which is a non-issue for me.

#1,131 ·
My new 64E8005 compared to earlier 63C7705 (8000 series..)

- Black level "about" same (or little better) except this time it is good in all modes (50hz, 24hz cinema smooth)

- Panel is uniform, no faint horisontal bands in for example full color or blue sky backgrounds like in C series

- Line bleed is greatly improved, usually nonexistent.

- 3d crosstalk is greatly improved.. usually there is none (earlier C had it almost every where..) but it is not still not as good as passive (white object in black background still causes little crosstalk)

- Not much difference in HD image quality (except those mentioned above..)

- SD material is somehow worse, C series did amazing job with SD picture, now it is only "good"

- Gaming is at least as good it was with earlier C series. Does not feel laggy at all. And seems to be IR resistant like earlier 63C series

- Regular remote is better than earlier metal one.

- Voice command work ok'ish but generally useless feature as is touch remote (very weird laggy feeling..)

- Gesture control just wont work in normal "not so bright" room, -> useless

- buzzes but does not annoy me much.. (I think this does not affect all sets, I just got buzzer
)

#1,132 ·

Quote:

+ 1 mine has been approved to

Awesome set loved everything about it but I just can't get used to the buzz I was even starting to like the silver spider stand

#1,133 ·

Quote:

i have a pn60e8000 bought it at the end of april from amazon after seeing your post i checked back with amazon and the price dropped $300.00 i contacted them and they are going to credit my account $300.00 i love this TV no buzz great color and now i'm getting $300.00 credited to my account. got to love dealing with amazon.