Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

I didn't even try the thing. The coolest device I've ever bought has to be the Harmony remote.

For years I told myself (and others) that spending that much money on a remote (harmony) is STUPID STUPID STUPID... until I got a deal on a refurb... shortly after bought two more as gifts just out of pure excitement to show others how $#%king awesome that remote is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

I don't expect any positive response to my question given that some of you don't even think that it is worth calibrating a TV. rolleyes.gif
But, anyway, here goes.... Has anyone successfully used the ruSamsung TV Communicator factory remote emulator with the E series?
Larry

Nice try, Larry! This is a different breed...
post #1893 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
As one who has now returned three PN64E8000s that had a very annoying directional buzzing, I am delighted to write that I now have a non-buzzer . . . the Panasonic P65VT50. It was definitely not my super sensitive hearing (or the hearing of the Samsung authorized technician who came out to initially evaluate the problem, or the four different installers who came out to swap the different TVs).
post #1894 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukecat View Post

As one who has now returned three PN64E8000s that had a very annoying directional buzzing, I am delighted to write that I now have a non-buzzer . . . the Panasonic P65VT50. It was definitely not my super sensitive hearing (or the hearing of the Samsung authorized technician who came out to initially evaluate the problem, or the four different installers who came out to swap the different TVs).

i have a PN60E8000 AND IT NEVER HAD A BUZZ and i have good hearing and i'm over 30 so i'm very please to report no buzz

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
PN51F5500 + Directv Genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 737 5.2.2
post #1895 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidHiker View Post

Nice try, Larry! This is a different breed...

What might the characteristics be, of this "different breed" ?

post #1896 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, well, to be fair, you guys don't really have much need to experiment with the service remote at this point.

I was actually also referring to the earlier exchange between Larry and zoyd. I'm sure some will come around, but it seems many are just not there yet.
post #1897 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmercer3 View Post

These are not plasma TV's solely marketed to CNET and 'Cleveland Plasma' (for example). You are speaking of a technology that has been marketed to the public at large for decades now. Let me ask you a question, what percentage of the marketed public has the expertise (or even the monetary funds) to afford or conduct a proper calibration?
You can argue that people can buy a calibration disc for 20$, and calibrate their tv, however, again the same question. How many of those people do you actually think have the know how, the ability, and the acumen to actually get a decent calibration from a simple "one size fits all" calibration?
These tv's have to be judged off the shelf, out of the box, and however else the MAJORITY of the consumers are utilizing them.
By all means, judge them post calibration, but don't act like it makes a difference at the end of the day.
-Respectfully.

The people spending 2-4k on tv's can't afford a calibration? They can afford thousands a year in content but won't squeeze the best performance out? Their car runs funky but they refuse to take it to a mechanic or if they're handy get the tools out? While ideally the technology could be perfect out of the box and entirely uniform from set to set, they aren't. I'm not priveleged to have the info on what it takes to get there from a manufacturer's viewpoint, but the one that got closest got to the point they figured it wasn't worth it and stopped making and selling them (Pioneer)....probably due to those same people who don't want to spend top dollar for the best performance. Sometimes there aren't enough people to justify putting the best product possible out. You're buying basically a nice Chevy sedan and expecting it to be an AMG Mercedes or something IMHO. The technology is what it is and seems these sets need some tweaking, and they come with extensive controls to do so.

You can buy into calibration equipment/software for a reasonable price and maintain your own best possible picture relatively easily but it does take an investment in time and money. Agreed, though, it would be nice for some sort of rock-solid out-of-the box calibration, or even a self-calibrating tv, but that's not the reality. Personally mine does't take much tweaking for the best pic, but it does definitely help (until you update your firmware and get lazy about doing settings again smile.gif ).

Plasmas are notorious for not coming out of the box or on the showroom floor with an ideal picture, or even start on the best settings. You at least need to turn a bunch of the extras off. If you need something less fussy but nice and bright maybe an LCD is a better choice. Maybe a DLP suits your fancy, or even a good ol' CRT. Starting with what you want in terms of product expectations because you spent x$ is a nice ideal but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reality.

I bought a plasma then started learning and the set I have only has one issue and that cropped up just recently after 14 months (a small start of a peel on a 59D8000 but not into the pixel area...yet) Been too slammed at work to sit on the phone for a long time to call Samsung (figuring on extensive waiting/transferring time until I get the right person to talk to since I'm out of warranty). These tvs are still amazing, the picture can be frikkin' awesome but they're complicated machines. Perfect in every respect, no. QC is certainly an issue for enough to be a concern and should be considered before purchase just for own's own sanity if anything smile.gif
sheshechic likes this.

post #1898 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

The people spending 2-4k on tv's can't afford a calibration? They can afford thousands a year in content but won't squeeze the best performance out? Their car runs funky but they refuse to take it to a mechanic or if they're handy get the tools out? While ideally the technology could be perfect out of the box and entirely uniform from set to set, they aren't. I'm not priveleged to have the info on what it takes to get there from a manufacturer's viewpoint, but the one that got closest got to the point they figured it wasn't worth it and stopped making and selling them (Pioneer)....probably due to those same people who don't want to spend top dollar for the best performance. Sometimes there aren't enough people to justify putting the best product possible out. You're buying basically a nice Chevy sedan and expecting it to be an AMG Mercedes or something IMHO. The technology is what it is and seems these sets need some tweaking, and they come with extensive controls to do so.
You can buy into calibration equipment/software for a reasonable price and maintain your own best possible picture relatively easily but it does take an investment in time and money. Agreed, though, it would be nice for some sort of rock-solid out-of-the box calibration, or even a self-calibrating tv, but that's not the reality. Personally mine does't take much tweaking for the best pic, but it does definitely help (until you update your firmware and get lazy about doing settings again smile.gif ).
Plasmas are notorious for not coming out of the box or on the showroom floor with an ideal picture, or even start on the best settings. You at least need to turn a bunch of the extras off. If you need something less fussy but nice and bright maybe an LCD is a better choice. Maybe a DLP suits your fancy, or even a good ol' CRT. Starting with what you want in terms of product expectations because you spent x$ is a nice ideal but it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with reality.
I bought a plasma then started learning and the set I have only has one issue and that cropped up just recently after 14 months (a small start of a peel on a 59D8000 but not into the pixel area...yet) Been too slammed at work to sit on the phone for a long time to call Samsung (figuring on extensive waiting/transferring time until I get the right person to talk to since I'm out of warranty). These tvs are still amazing, the picture can be frikkin' awesome but they're complicated machines. Perfect in every respect, no. QC is certainly an issue for enough to be a concern and should be considered before purchase just for own's own sanity if anything smile.gif

out of the box i think these tv's are very good. My PN60E8000 in movie mode with everything in default mode and everything off

cell light at 18
contrast 93
brightness 48
sharpness 0
color at 50
color spacing native
color tone warm1.
I think it looks excellent out of the box precalibration
i intend on getting a professional calibration because all these sets are a little difff and one set of numbers like cnet are not good for everyone

this tv is amazing no buzz no pops and the blacks are inky

My main setup
PN60E8000 Plus evolution 2013Kit + Directv genie + Panasonic 3D blu-ray player + Onkyo TX-NR 818 9.2 Bic F12 subs Onkyo M-5010 2-Channel Amplifier for wides.
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #1899 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 PM

ChadB literally left 10 mins. ago, and let me tell u the pic looks phenomenal!!

After the calibration he showed me a portion of dark knight. The scene where the joker blows up the hospital... Night and day difference!

I highly recommend calibrating your e8000 (by ChadB) to eek out the extra performance.
Unfortunately i just have my iPhone to take pics with and that would not do it justice
post #1900 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstew419 View Post

After the calibration he showed me a portion of dark knight. The scene where the joker blows up the hospital... Night and day difference!
I highly recommend calibrating your e8000 (by ChadB) to eek out the extra performance.
Unfortunately i just have my iPhone to take pics with and that would not do it justice

dose he go into the service menu

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #1901 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargervais View Post

Yes. The whole process took about 4.5 hours.

I didn't realize I had such an oversaturation on blue, pre calibration.
post #1902 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:

i have a PN60E8000 AND IT NEVER HAD A BUZZ and i have good hearing and i'm over 30 so i'm very please to report no buzz

Yes, we all know yours doesn't buzz . . . and the thread would be about a third shorter if you didn't feel compelled to write that every time someone references theirs does.
post #1903 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukecat View Post

Yes, we all know yours doesn't buzz . . . and the thread would be about a third shorter if you didn't feel compelled to write that every time someone references theirs does.

mine dose not buzz wink.gif
Dukecat likes this.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #1904 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:

mine dose not buzz wink.gif

Neither does mine! wink.gif
post #1905 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Neither does mine! wink.gif

carefull we are going to make Dukecat mad LOL With these short posts
Dukecat likes this.

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #1906 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Thanks for your calibration report. I've included it in the flat panel (post number two) lists that are linked in the signature area at the bottom of my post.
post #1907 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:

Quote:

Yes. The whole process took about 4.5 hours.
I didn't realize I had such an oversaturation on blue, pre calibration.

There is absolutely no reason to go into the service menu to calibrate the Samsung. Only if Chad activated the CAL-day and CAL-night picture modes, he would have had to enter the SM otherwise not. Dstew, do you now have these two extra modes available?

Larry
post #1908 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:

There is absolutely no reason to go into the service menu to calibrate the Samsung. Only if Chad activated the CAL-day and CAL-night picture modes, he would have had to enter the SM otherwise not. Dstew, do you now have these two extra modes available?
Larry

My bad... If that's the only reason to go into the service menu, then no.
Chad mentioned that the samsung day/night cal can be buggy at times so he doesn't recommend it. I'll shoot him an email to verify.
post #1909 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't expect any positive response to my question given that some of you don't even think that it is worth calibrating a TV. rolleyes.gif
But, anyway, here goes.... Has anyone successfully used the ruSamsung TV Communicator factory remote emulator with the E series?
Larry

Quote:

I didn't even try the thing. The coolest device I've ever bought has to be the Harmony remote.

I suppose I showed how ignorant I am. I thought you were referring to the bluetooth to IR device. Might you explain the remote emulator a bit?

post #1910 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I suppose I showed how ignorant I am. I thought you were referring to the bluetooth to IR device. Might you explain the remote emulator a bit?

In simple terms, it is a way to use your computer and a network to get to items that are available only using the special technician's "factory" remote. In other words, it allows access to items in the service menu that are not available using the normal (North American) 'mute-1-8-2-power' method.

Larry
post #1911 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In simple terms, it is a way to use your computer and a network to get to items that are available only using the special technician's "factory" remote. In other words, it allows access to items in the service menu that are not available using the normal (North American) 'mute-1-8-2-power' method.
Larry

Thanks. Is that the remote management feature listed under the support tab or a separate rootkit?

post #1912 of 4325 Old 06-16-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Is that the remote management feature listed under the support tab or a separate rootkit?

No, it requires a special communication program. Here is a description of the software: http://www.rainerullrich.de/samsung/. It's in German so you'll have to use the Google translate function.

Here is where you can download the program: http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Desktop_applications_list#ruSamsungTVCommunicator

However, since you can brick your TV with it, I do not recommend that you use it and I take no responsibility for any damage anyone may do to their set by doing so.

I only wanted to know whether Samsung has blocked the use of this program on the E series they way they did with the latest firmware update for the D series. (Fortunately, the very bright engineers at SamyGo have developed a way to reset the D models back to the original factory FW version.)

Larry
post #1913 of 4325 Old 06-17-2012, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

However, since you can brick your TV with it, I do not recommend that you use it and I take no responsibility for any damage anyone may do to their set by doing so.

I was just trying to understand what you were talking about. I have no desire to enter the service menu. I'm not a fan of, do it yourselfers. I prefer to hire professionals for services that require a higher level of specialized expertise and experience. And like everything else, finding a competent technician can be a crapshoot. Especially with a service like this. There are plumbers everywhere. You don't need to wait for a plumber to be "on tour". Just because someone offers the service, doesn't mean they're good.

I've played around with a few home calibration discs, but that was just for fun. I don't understand why anyone without extensive training and tens of thousands of dollars in test equipment, would ever attempt to calibrate their display. There are too many variables involved in the adjustments for the average joe to do this correctly. You could easily set a wrong value for one variable which would result in setting five other values wrong to compensate. You might kind of get there in the end, but it's totally hosed.
It's like visiting friends and the wife shows you the project her husband just completed. She's beaming with joy as she takes you to the bathroom he just totally remodeled. When you see this little gem, it's obvious why professional craftsman exist.

post #1914 of 4325 Old 06-17-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

There are plumbers everywhere. You don't need to wait for a plumber to be "on tour". Just because someone offers the service, doesn't mean they're good.
The best calibrators are the ones good enough to go on tour. wink.gif

You can read owner's reports about their professional calibration experiences using the link in the signature area at the bottom of my post. Enjoy. smile.gif
post #1915 of 4325 Old 06-17-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...I don't understand why anyone without extensive training and tens of thousands of dollars in test equipment, would ever attempt to calibrate their display. There are too many variables involved in the adjustments for the average joe to do this correctly. You could easily set a wrong value for one variable which would result in setting five other values wrong to compensate. You might kind of get there in the end, but it's totally hosed.
It's like visiting friends and the wife shows you the project her husband just completed. She's beaming with joy as she takes you to the bathroom he just totally remodeled. When you see this little gem, it's obvious why professional craftsman exist.

Don't take it personally, but this attitude is a prime example of a common ignorance WRT calibration. You're greatly overexaggerating the complexity of the process, especially considering how simple and convenient Samsung has made it to perform. The fact that no service menu adjustments are required with these new sets should tell you something.
post #1916 of 4325 Old 06-17-2012, 03:21 PM

I bought one of these the other day and am actually beginning to see what eagle_2 was complaining about in terms of the way the ABL functions. It is nowhere near as smooth as most other plasmas I have seen and does result in noticeable jumps on occasion. Has anyone else noticed it? I started a thread on it here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1416080/samsung-e8000-abl-function

Would appreciate some feedback as I'm not really sure if this is considered normal for these sets or whether it is a problem with my set. smile.gif
post #1917 of 4325 Old 06-17-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

ferl,

WRT the service menu:
Quote:

There is absolutely no reason to go into the service menu to calibrate the Samsung. [snip]

WRT the remote emulator:
Quote:

[snip]
I only wanted to know whether Samsung has blocked the use of this program on the E series they way they did with the latest firmware update for the D series.

As Hiker pointed out, you are making calibration appear much more complicated than it is. I would not discourage anyone to invest about $250 for a meter and learn how to perform a calibration. The results would be well worth it.

Larry
post #1918 of 4325 Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't take it personally, but this attitude is a prime example of a common ignorance WRT calibration. You're greatly overexaggerating the complexity of the process, especially considering how simple and convenient Samsung has made it to perform. The fact that no service menu adjustments are required with these new sets should tell you something.

i totally agree so a good knoledge of the advanced setting,can you or someone explain to me what all these sittings do like color space, white balance, and 10p white balance

My main setup
MY 10' X 15' DEN
post #1919 of 4325 Old 06-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

None taken. I guess I've grossly over exaggerated the value and ability of those that professionally calibrate displays. I understand the complexity of the process has been reduced by Samsung providing easy access to the settings, but one must have a working knowledge of those settings. Please help me understand. Which meters do I need and how much will they cost compared to the test equipment of a professional? For instance, If I utilize the meters you suggest, how do I know which value to adjust? Even though I have easy access to those settings, I have no clue how to use them. I can be pretty ignorant at times. Am I supposed to look at those settings and be able to just figure it out?

post #1920 of 4325 Old 06-17-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page