Official Samsung PNXXE7000 - PNXXE8000 owners thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2071 of 4324 Old 07-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
jav1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by swillis55 View Post

It's strange regarding the brightness pops. I've watched a Stanley Cup playoff game that I have recorded and not really noticed the pops. Same with The Artist. Very bright black and white scenes and nary an issue. I would say some people are more sensitive than others.

I agree, also there may be set variation. I seem to have noticed it less when I had an E8000. What settings are you using?
jav1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2072 of 4324 Old 07-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Member
 
swillis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: ON, CAN
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swillis55 View Post

It's strange regarding the brightness pops. I've watched a Stanley Cup playoff game that I have recorded and not really noticed the pops. Same with The Artist. Very bright black and white scenes and nary an issue. I would say some people are more sensitive than others.

I agree, also there may be set variation. I seem to have noticed it less when I had an E8000. What settings are you using?

I am using the default movie preset, dropped the cell level to 14 and sharpness to 8. Cinema smooth on for 24fps.
swillis55 is offline  
post #2073 of 4324 Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
Member
 
gizzygone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably not the right place for this, so if you know, please point me in the right direction:

Purchased the e7000 last week with the free sound bar promotion from best buy. Does anybody know if the bar is returnable for a credit? It sounds terrible to me... And I'd rather use the money towards a remote and some more glasses...
gizzygone is offline  
post #2074 of 4324 Old 07-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Senior Member
 
msantti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I sort of doubt they would give you a credit as it was free.

I just got the 60" E7000 and got the same speaker free from another retailer.

Already have a sound system so I am just trying to sell it.
msantti is offline  
post #2075 of 4324 Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 AM
Senior Member
 
liquidsense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been pretty underwhelmed by my 64E7000 thus far. I'm coming from the Kuro 5080 (non-elite), and despite tweaking the settings on the Samsung for hours, I cannot get a picture that even approaches the level of the 5-year-old Kuro. Blacks are washed out, gradients look choppy, colors look muted/dead, and worst of all, I'm getting thousands of mis-firing red pixels as explained in my post above. A technician is coming out to "repair" the TV on Saturday. I hope that I just have a bad panel and the real-deal is much better.
liquidsense is offline  
post #2076 of 4324 Old 07-18-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post

I've been pretty underwhelmed by my 64E7000 thus far. I'm coming from the Kuro 5080 (non-elite), and despite tweaking the settings on the Samsung for hours, I cannot get a picture that even approaches the level of the 5-year-old Kuro. Blacks are washed out, gradients look choppy, colors look muted/dead, and worst of all, I'm getting thousands of mis-firing red pixels as explained in my post above. A technician is coming out to "repair" the TV on Saturday. I hope that I just have a bad panel and the real-deal is much better.

Why screw around with a technician? Just return it. It's obviously defective.

lovinthehd is offline  
post #2077 of 4324 Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
liquidsense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Why screw around with a technician? Just return it. It's obviously defective.

I bought it from a local retailer, and the local retailer is insisting that a technician come out to assess the issue first, which I suppose I can understand.
liquidsense is offline  
post #2078 of 4324 Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Member
 
samwbourne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post

I agree, also there may be set variation. I seem to have noticed it less when I had an E8000. What settings are you using?

The white level has to change significantly to trigger it - some hockey games may not show enough of the crowd on pans to do so. Also, an increasing white level will behave correctly, it is only when the white level is decreasing that you can see noticeable jumps in brightness.
samwbourne is offline  
post #2079 of 4324 Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mac13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 723
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post

Just received my 64E7000. .55" profile Sanus mount. Still waiting on TV stand and speakers.
700
450

Did you use any of the spacers provided with the mount or did you mount it as close to the wall as possible?
Mac13 is offline  
post #2080 of 4324 Old 07-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
liquidsense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Did you use any of the spacers provided with the mount or did you mount it as close to the wall as possible?

In this case, as close to the wall as possible. The instruction manual does not prohibit or limit how close to the wall to mount the TV and Samsung's own proprietary wall-mounts are even lower profile (.5 inches), so I thought .55" would not be a problem.

In case anyone is interested, the Sanus mount is probably the most ingeniously engineered mount I've ever seen. Not only is it incredibly thin, it is extremely solid, beautifully engineered, and can be adjusted (even after mounting) such that you can raise or lower the TV by several inches, or level the TV if you didn't install the bracket perfectly level. You can even pull integrated cords on the bottom of the mount to pop out spacers, prop the TV off the wall, and access your cables. Really ingenious.

700
liquidsense is offline  
post #2081 of 4324 Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Newbie
 
n1cktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I could really use some help and advice. My wife and I bought a PN60E7000 a few days ago and had it wall mounted. We have only watched two redbox blue ray movies on it so far and are having issues with sound (using built in speakers for now). When there is music or any type of sound effect happening during the movie we hear a buzzing/muffled/static type sound. Is this normal? I was wondering if the built in speakers are just crappy or if something can potentially be wrong with the tv or blue ray player? Has anyone experienced any issues like this. We tried the volume from 25-50 but still hear it.
n1cktm is offline  
post #2082 of 4324 Old 07-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
ferl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cktm View Post

I could really use some help and advice. My wife and I bought a PN60E7000 a few days ago and had it wall mounted. We have only watched two redbox blue ray movies on it so far and are having issues with sound (using built in speakers for now). When there is music or any type of sound effect happening during the movie we hear a buzzing/muffled/static type sound. Is this normal? I was wondering if the built in speakers are just crappy or if something can potentially be wrong with the tv or blue ray player? Has anyone experienced any issues like this. We tried the volume from 25-50 but still hear it.

I haven't used the TV speakers much, but I have not noticed that issue. The built in speakers are far from good. Is it possible that the wall mount system you used might have a loose fastener? I did avoid using the "screw loose" description. How about the power cord, ferrite core or another cable vibrating on the back panel?

ferl is offline  
post #2083 of 4324 Old 07-19-2012, 03:49 AM
Newbie
 
humani1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everybody,

thanks for the help so far. It seems I am in a bit over my head and I will do a little more homework until trying to calibrate my TV once again. Since I am not sure that my SM settings were not altered before the set was sold to me, I was wondering whether it might not make sense to just set 6x128 in the SM and then do a calibration from there. Red and green are nicely balanced for greyscale with the settings the TV was set to, but blue at 173 puts blue greyscale to around 200%. I have a feeling this would be very difficult to adjust with 2P or 10P.

Also, a question about ADC calibration: I noticed an HDMI calibration setting in the SVC menu where you can select pattern 7 and get the checkerboard pattern internally. Why don't we use that?

Regards,

Christopher
humani1 is offline  
post #2084 of 4324 Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AvidHiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Christopher, you are once again in the plasma forum, and you have an LCD (you still haven't posted your exact model number).

Also, there hasn't been any discussion of SM settings/calibration in this thread AFAIK, so I don't think you will get any help here. You'd be better off staying in the D7000/D8000 calibration thread if your only option is to post in the plasma forum.

I still believe the ADC calibration does not have much, if any, effect on grayscale. But you have also described a problem with the panel's brightness which could be related to a bad ADC calibration. You can try the built in checkerboard, but Janos' pattern will work and has been documented to give optimal results. Zoyd has also posted a calibration disc you can try:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333561/samsung-d7000-d8000-settings-calibration-thread/2190#post_21627792

The only known way to correct your grayscale issue is to use the method that Janos has described until you get within range of the normal user menu calibration controls (200% is way out of range). If his method doesn't work, then trial and error may be your best bet (i.e., determine what is most off in the UM, then try to compensate roughly with the SM controls).
AvidHiker is offline  
post #2085 of 4324 Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Cattledog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post

In this case, as close to the wall as possible. The instruction manual does not prohibit or limit how close to the wall to mount the TV and Samsung's own proprietary wall-mounts are even lower profile (.5 inches), so I thought .55" would not be a problem.
In case anyone is interested, the Sanus mount is probably the most ingeniously engineered mount I've ever seen. Not only is it incredibly thin, it is extremely solid, beautifully engineered, and can be adjusted (even after mounting) such that you can raise or lower the TV by several inches, or level the TV if you didn't install the bracket perfectly level. You can even pull integrated cords on the bottom of the mount to pop out spacers, prop the TV off the wall, and access your cables. Really ingenious.
700

Many owners who mounted their D8000 and D7000's too close to the wall were reporting issues as well. My D7000 is 1.5" from the wall and It has no issues. I think .55" is too close for a plasma...they do get HOT!

CD

Reality Based.
Cattledog is offline  
post #2086 of 4324 Old 07-20-2012, 06:42 AM
Member
 
swillis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: ON, CAN
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Another 3rd party review here. Seems to be in agreement with other reviews.
swillis55 is offline  
post #2087 of 4324 Old 07-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Member
 
liquidsense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

Many owners who mounted their D8000 and D7000's too close to the wall were reporting issues as well. My D7000 is 1.5" from the wall and It has no issues. I think .55" is too close for a plasma...they do get HOT!
CD

I definitely considered that, but Samsung sells mounts that are even shallower for use with their plasmas. Samsung Mount. And the instruction manual warns only about clearance on the edges (i.e., top, bottom, left, right) and is silent as to clearance on the back.
liquidsense is offline  
post #2088 of 4324 Old 07-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
ferl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

Many owners who mounted their D8000 and D7000's too close to the wall were reporting issues as well. My D7000 is 1.5" from the wall and It has no issues. I think .55" is too close for a plasma...they do get HOT!
CD

What issues are being reported? I have a c8000 and now an e8000 both mounted with the Sanus mount.

ferl is offline  
post #2089 of 4324 Old 07-20-2012, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
ncted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
After considering a number of different options, including ordering and then canceling a Sharp LC-70LE640, I have decided on a PN64E7000. It will be delivered next week. This will be my first plasma. There seem to be a lot of opinions about "breaking-in" plasma. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for this model line?

Thanks,
Ted
ncted is offline  
post #2090 of 4324 Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
 
liquidsense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

Many owners who mounted their D8000 and D7000's too close to the wall were reporting issues as well. My D7000 is 1.5" from the wall and It has no issues. I think .55" is too close for a plasma...they do get HOT!
CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

What issues are being reported? I have a c8000 and now an e8000 both mounted with the Sanus mount.

I'm also curious. What "issues" are being reported? I did a quick search in the d7000/d8000 thread and found no comments on mounting close to the wall.
liquidsense is offline  
post #2091 of 4324 Old 07-20-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsense View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post

Many owners who mounted their D8000 and D7000's too close to the wall were reporting issues as well. My D7000 is 1.5" from the wall and It has no issues. I think .55" is too close for a plasma...they do get HOT!
CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

What issues are being reported? I have a c8000 and now an e8000 both mounted with the Sanus mount.

I'm also curious. What "issues" are being reported? I did a quick search in the d7000/d8000 thread and found no comments on mounting close to the wall.


I'm pretty familiar with the D7000/D8000 thread and the only complaints from wall mounters I remember were some suspecting the buzz increased from wall mounting and that some wanted to access the inputs but didn't want to fool around with getting it back off the wall. smile.gif Heat rises and the manual indicates you should expect the top vents to get quite warm and not to block them IIRC.

lovinthehd is offline  
post #2092 of 4324 Old 07-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Member
 
tlb48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
do i need a 24p reciever to display 24p on the pn51e8000
tlb48 is offline  
post #2093 of 4324 Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

do i need a 24p reciever to display 24p on the pn51e8000

There aren't "24p" receivers per se although some receivers can output a 1080p source in that format like mine does (with other material than 24p). You need HDMI, though (I think). What receiver do you have now?

lovinthehd is offline  
post #2094 of 4324 Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Cattledog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

From what I know every update does that (return settings to default) thus you have to write down any calibration settings you've made before you start (ask me how I know).

I just updated the firmware on my D7000. All settings remained intact.

CD

Reality Based.
Cattledog is offline  
post #2095 of 4324 Old 07-21-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LarryInRI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: in RI
Posts: 5,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 145
On my 64D7000, I have updated the firmware from the factory 1013.1 version then to 1014.2 then to 1014.6 then to 1015.0 then to 1016.2 then rolled it back to 1013.1 and back up to 1014.6 without ever having the update or rollback reset any user or service menu values.

Larry
LarryInRI is offline  
post #2096 of 4324 Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
ferl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Illinois
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI View Post

On my 64D7000, I have updated the firmware from the factory 1013.1 version then to 1014.2 then to 1014.6 then to 1015.0 then to 1016.2 then rolled it back to 1013.1 and back up to 1014.6 without ever having the update or rollback reset any user or service menu values.
Larry

My C8000 didn't reset values when doing an update either. When I went to v1023 on the E8000 it did reset my settings to default. I just went to v1031 and it kept my settings.

ferl is offline  
post #2097 of 4324 Old 07-22-2012, 07:00 AM
Member
 
badboy808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where Do I go to check what each individual app update in the Smart Hub does? For Example the web Browser on my PN51E8000 had a update today but I don't know what was updated.
badboy808 is offline  
post #2098 of 4324 Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Member
 
msinback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using this wall mount to hang an E7000 plasma TV. There are two options for flush distance from the wall, 17mm and 40mm. I was planning on intalling for 17mm. What are the pros and cons these choices other than appearance?

This kit only comes with anchors for an install in wood or masonary walls. I have drywall. I will be using 4 TOGGLER Toggle Bolt Wall Anchors which are rated up to 265 lbs in 1/2 In. drywall. Does this seem reasonable?

The install instructions that came wtih this kit do not discuss these issues (pictures only). There is no video I can find on how to do the install. If I'm successful, maybe I'll upload a You Tube video.


msinback is offline  
post #2099 of 4324 Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Member
 
gizzygone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems risky using toggles to hold a $1500 plus TV...

Why not get a stud finder and find the studs behind the drywall...
gizzygone is offline  
post #2100 of 4324 Old 07-22-2012, 09:22 AM
Member
 
Truckondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Fountain Valley, CA
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msinback View Post

I am using this wall mount to hang an E7000 plasma TV. There are two options for flush distance from the wall, 17mm and 40mm. I was planning on intalling for 17mm. What are the pros and cons these choices other than appearance?
This kit only comes with anchors for an install in wood or masonary walls. I have drywall. I will be using 4 TOGGLER Toggle Bolt Wall Anchors which are rated up to 265 lbs in 1/2 In. drywall. Does this seem reasonable?
The install instructions that came wtih this kit do not discuss these issues (pictures only). There is no video I can find on how to do the install. If I'm successful, maybe I'll upload a You Tube video.


For that type of wall mount you are fine. If you were using a full-motion mount that pulls away from the wall I would say no way. Your TV is less than the 265lbs plus all that weight is distributed to the wall plates in front of the toggle bolts. I would still look for the studs first. A good starting point is to find a electrical outlet. Most studs are place right next to either side of the outlet.
Truckondo is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60e6500 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Slim Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off